I hate the new layout..!!!

Started Oct 3, 2012 | Discussions
WFulton Senior Member • Posts: 2,689
Re: What a garish, eyestraining mess!

Cast my vote as hating it.  I thought the old one was terrible, but this looks worse.  No fun to be here.

Leif Goodwin Senior Member • Posts: 1,390
Re: I hate the new layout..!!!

MarceloLI wrote:

It is so confussing and there is so many missing funtions..!!!!!

Where are my bookmarks???

I don't like it either, it looks tacky, and I cannot see which threads I have read already.

Leif Goodwin's gear list:Leif Goodwin's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D600 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF +4 more
Steven Blackwood Senior Member • Posts: 1,548

Bookmarks are under Other Options.

-- hide signature --

Steve
anasazi@wi.rr.com
Milwaukee WI

Steven Blackwood's gear list:Steven Blackwood's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS Rebel T7i Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2
SergeyGreen
SergeyGreen Contributing Member • Posts: 582
I could not agree more

It is rubbish. I wish they made an option to switch back to the old layout when the new one is not wanted.

-- hide signature --

-sergey

Nikita66 Contributing Member • Posts: 797

Also...

the responses I have looked at are no longer grayed-out after I close them, making it more difficult to see at a glance if I looked at it or not.  I have to some how remember what I've looked and what I've missed.

Nikita66 Contributing Member • Posts: 797

+1

Yes exactly, same for the list of responses within a thread. I cannot tell at a glance if I have read a response or not. The old system gray-out the ones I'd read.

Mako2011
Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 23,135
It does

robjons wrote:

Also...

the responses I have looked at are no longer grayed-out after I close them, making it more difficult to see at a glance if I looked at it or not.  I have to some how remember what I've looked and what I've missed.

They are greyed out if you select "yellow" and on mine the little dot in front of an unread post goes away after reading it.

TheRidgeback Regular Member • Posts: 117
Re: We need "previous -next" buttons BELOW the message!

Ralf Ronander wrote:

As before. A pain to have to scroll to get to these buttons now when a lengthy conversation with many quotes is ongoing.

And a preview when one writes an answer!

why not use the n and p keys on the keyboard, its always been there,
What annoys me is the filter on the main forum, its not a filter,

with photos, without photos, where are the options to add custom filters, so i can ignore

everything with say D800, or D600 in the titles or focus, ect, ect, you get the point.

Im not fond of this layout, but I use a custom host file to remove nearly all the advertising now that is appearing on virtually all web sites.

Mac.

TheRidgeback's gear list:TheRidgeback's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF VR +1 more
Mako2011
Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 23,135
White dot

robjons wrote:

+1

Yes exactly, same for the list of responses within a thread. I cannot tell at a glance if I have read a response or not. The old system gray-out the ones I'd read.

Does the little white dot not go away in front of a post when you read it?  It does on mine using Win 7 Firefox 15.

paulski66
paulski66 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,081
Re: +1 !!!

rhlpetrus wrote:

Please DPR, back to the smaller type and more compact forum presentation!!

I agree. This is my #1 complaint so far. I don't mind change, but now there's way too much scrolling to get to the bottom of the topics screen.

Better use of horizontal space and slightly smaller fonts would help this...

paulski66's gear list:paulski66's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +2 more
noirdesir Forum Pro • Posts: 13,254
Re: And no direct links to posts from a member's Forum tab...

RedFox88 wrote:

noirdesir wrote:

... instead just links to first and last post in a thread? If I want to find posts of a member, I want to find the posts, not just the threads.

Dude, just switch the view to "posts" instead of "recent activity".  So many of the things people are whining about on here today are still there if they just bothered to look around before posting about a "problem"!

You know, if somebody had bothered to post a list of all changes, of the new features and how to find old features in the new layout, 95% of all complaints would not have happened. But those who are responsible for the new design naturally had used it already themselves for quite some time, so they naturally know where things are. It is fine to add new features for users to discover at their own leisure, it is not fine to move existing features around, don't say a peep about anything and expect everybody to be happy.

And guess what, in the old layout 'Home' was all recent activity, and 'Forum' was all my forum posts. Why should 'Recent Activity' in a user profile include posts by others? I read 'Recent Activity' in my profile and I assume it is *my* recent activity. And since it don't see any other things like challenges, galleries, or comments, it must be only my posting activity. In a user profile I expect to find the user's stuff first and only later things like replies. You might want to lump posts and replies into one top-level category but 'Recent Activity' is not such a lumped category, heck it does not even list just replies (do this and label it replies and people will immediately grasp what it is) it lists random posts in threads I had posted in. Most of these will be totally unrelated to what I had posted about. Why is that the default and top-level category?

Alejandro Daz del Ro Fery
Alejandro Daz del Ro Fery Veteran Member • Posts: 3,735

Richard Shih wrote:

That was an issue with the browser not liking the UTF-8 encoding on the CSS file. That should be fixed now.

-- hide signature --

Richard
dpreview.com

Congratulations, great job ... I like it but the last classification was a missed opportunity to clarify that the cameras also have their philosophy, Pro (all sensor size), Amateur (all sensor size), Nikon1, Coolpixes & Nikkor. IMO and Nikon's opinion too. The D4 owner looks more like a D300s than D600 Philosophy

P.S.: thanks for may insert an image from our computers, many thankyou.

Regards.

noirdesir Forum Pro • Posts: 13,254
Re: And no different colouring for links already visited ...

Richard Shih wrote:

Trying to find a darker blue that everyone won't hate... Stay tuned.

I am trying to understand the logic behind releasing a half-finished new design. What is the point of releasing it if one major feature when using the default setting (ie, blue) is not finished? If you knew all along that you wanted to add a second blue why not wait with the release until you had picked the right blue?

b2martin_a Contributing Member • Posts: 671

I also hate the new layout.  It's too busy, takes too much time to read.  I will not finish looking at the post I generally visit because I can't stand the new layout.

Gosman Contributing Member • Posts: 923

Come on folks- give it a chance.  Although I think a beta test for a day or two would have been better.  This way we could have tried it out and our input would allow dp to make the adjustments off line.

-- hide signature --

Jay

ARB1
ARB1 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,275
Is this new format intended to cut down on overall visits to DPreview?

because I can only look at this format for a short while before I start getting a headache and eyestrain, and I have very good vision - perhaps if I had bad eyesight it wouldn't be so bad.

-- hide signature --

Allen

ARB1's gear list:ARB1's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha 7R II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +4 more
primeshooter
primeshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,169
Re: Line spacing is terrible

Robin Casady wrote:

primeshooter wrote:

Too much line spacing makes it appear less readable on the main pages. It would have been fine if you kept the previous look but added the "mouse hover over thread reveal thing" - but this is too far.

Go back to the forum page and click the Collapsed button above the thread listing. It is closer to the old way.

I always read threaded view and in this view the spacing between lines is ridiculously large.

stany buyle Senior Member • Posts: 1,957
Very uncomfortable for the eyes...

I was watching it for 3 minutes more, and my eyes hurt. I feel this forum layout will give me a migraine...
If it keeps this way, than this was my last visit to dpreview.
Stany

stany buyle's gear list:stany buyle's gear list
Nikon D1
Mick5 Regular Member • Posts: 218
Re: Very uncomfortable for the eyes...

I like old layout i feel headache with new layout.

Mick5's gear list:Mick5's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR
flyfisher99 Regular Member • Posts: 302
Re: +1 for hate, hate, hate. WAY too much white space. <EOM>

Getting used to?? You mean like iPhone. 5 maps? I'll give it a week

Or 2, if they dont fix the format back I'm out of here

flyfisher99's gear list:flyfisher99's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Voigtlander 12mm F5.6 Ultra Wide Heliar Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Samyang 12mm F2.8 Fish-eye +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads