New DPR site sucks

Started Oct 3, 2012 | Discussions
jcharding Senior Member • Posts: 2,306
Re: Compact View

That appears to only exist in the forums themselves.  Not within threads.

-- hide signature --
 jcharding's gear list:jcharding's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-T1 +12 more
Polyglot92 Senior Member • Posts: 1,469
for Simon Joinson

Thanks Simon.

Simon Joinson wrote: "which none of us liked?"

Who is "we" and "us"? Did you rewrite the site for the editorial staff, or for the users/contributors?

You now have discussions, an estimated 97% of them very critical, all over the numerous forums. It would almost make sense to open a forum for discussing the website in order to centralize. From what I have read you must now have a list of at least a dozen things that are missing, not working as well as before or not working at all. How are you keeping track of what you will tackle or are already working on, so that people can save their saliva and don't waste their time posting the obvious things over and over again? The kind of things that you should have caught had you done appropriate testing outside of the elite circle which seems to use the site very differently or seems to have very different tastes and preferences from the overwhelming majority of contributors.

Oh, can you add text colours to the editor?

Florida Nature Photographer Veteran Member • Posts: 8,104
Re: I wouldn't say suck...but certainly no added value.

NetMage wrote:

Apparently a lot...

-- hide signature --

-- Please remove the Quote option!

Since my post was featured so prominently here I just wanted to say that I have figured out how to do number two (separate the quotes). Number one (separate preview pane) is no longer needed. These are genuine improvements that I appreciate.

And I love the ability to quote. Please don't remove it.

Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
chopsteeks Senior Member • Posts: 1,268
Re: New DPR site sucks

What is wrong with the new format ?

Reading a few posts on this thread, some complaints were due to laziness to learn the new format.

But then again, some folks like the OP has to complain just for the heck of it.

Get a life folks !

Florida Nature Photographer Veteran Member • Posts: 8,104

chopsteeks wrote:

Reading a few posts on this thread, some complaints were due to laziness to learn the new format.

I had to figure it out by trial and error since there was no explanation of how to use the new forum provided. At least that I was able to find.

Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
Nick1420 Regular Member • Posts: 411
Re: OMG - instant nausea!

Memo to:  Dpreviiew Game Changers.

Please have the person or persons that designed and implemented the new format, write and submit instructions on the proper use of photography techniques and skills necessary to take better pictures.

I need to review, what to NEVER, EVER do!!!

balloonchasers Veteran Member • Posts: 3,189
Re: OMG - instant nausea!

Someone just wrote this in one of the forums:

"Shooting a wedding with 24-105 in JPEG is like doing a haircut with garden scissors while wearing sunglasses ..."

For some reason it reminds me of the current experience I get from viewing this site.....

John

-- hide signature --

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c If you find any extra letters, please place them here for future use...

spidermoon Forum Member • Posts: 85
Re: Yeah, pretty ugly, hard to read

Glen Barrington wrote:

And how the hell do I find the posts I responded to?

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .
Now that you've judged the quality of my typing, take a look at my photos. . .
http://www.jpgmag.com/people/glenbarrington/photos

In your profile menu, hover the mouse on the down arrow or profile name, the menu is "Recent forum activity". My first post is almost 2 years all, DPReview forget nothing

I found the new forum quite useful, you can hover a thread and see the reply in a tooltip box, so you can quickly check replies. If you don't love blue text, there is the yellow scheme availabe, but it's on the page bottom, not the best place for sure. Yellow scheme and collapse thread is almost like the "good ol' forum" for nostalgic guys

The only missing thing is a smiley droplist in the reply textbox.

spidermoon's gear list:spidermoon's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-01 Pentax K-S1 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Pentax smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED +2 more
JulesJ
JulesJ Forum Pro • Posts: 44,935

I've just noticed that you now don't see your message typed so far in the box underneath in black. I miss this. it was a good way for checking that everything looked ok, especially if using italics or bold etc. I do miss that feature.

zackiedawg
zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 28,592

You can actually see all that now right in the main posting box.  It's what-you-see-is-what-you-get (I just typed that in bold, and saw it in bold right as I typed.  Same with italic, line-through, etc.  Essentially, the posting panel is now also the preview panel.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony SLT-A68 Sony a6300 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +22 more
Victor Engel Forum Pro • Posts: 17,970
Re: I wouldn't say suck...but certainly no added value.

I think that is part of the problem, and I've said this before. The color choices are ugly. Blue, especially one not so saturated, would have been better than the weird cyan color. It clashes with the other colors. Same with the yellowish tapioca green color.

I was going to refer to these colors by a color family name that illustrates their harshness, but I couldn't find a color family with these colors - probably because they really don't go we'll together.

This site is about photography. Photography is essentially visual. A website about photography, therefore, should be visually pleasing. That means a sensible choice of colors, which we don't have here, unfortunately.

Victor Engel's gear list:Victor Engel's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 5DS Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +12 more
Bill Vincent Contributing Member • Posts: 680
Very hard to read !...................nt

Bill

Victor Engel Forum Pro • Posts: 17,970
Re: Compact View

jcharding wrote:

That appears to only exist in the forums themselves.  Not within threads.

-- hide signature --

Pay, I see. It's called collapsed. Btw, why did I not get an email notification about the reply? Is that a bug? I'm not unchecking the subscribe checkbox.

Victor Engel's gear list:Victor Engel's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 5DS Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +12 more
Polyglot92 Senior Member • Posts: 1,469
Always cracks me up

when I see people complain that others complain...

chopsteeks wrote:

What is wrong with the new format ?

But then again, some folks like the OP has to complain just for the heck of it.

Get a life folks !

noirdesir Forum Pro • Posts: 13,381
Scrolling is really a pain

theranman wrote:

MUCH more scrolling necessary. Absolutely horrendous.

Read one post, scroll down three pages to click on the next post. Rinse and repeat with every post one wants to read.

OP ABA DABA Veteran Member • Posts: 3,074
Re: I agree. It's just terrible.

BaldCol wrote:

ABA DABA wrote:

Not only will I refrain from this site but I will consider very strongly in cancelling my Amazon relationship, there are others out there I spend money on.

-- hide signature --

ABA DABA

LMAO... you are never going to buy from Amazon again because they had the audacity to upgrade forum software that hasn't been touched for ten years! Presumably you are still using Windows for Workgroups and a manual focus film camera.

Hey if you like it fine I don't, yes I still use a manual focus Canon F-1 & Pentax as well. The new swite still looks like junk.

Get a life guys.

noirdesir Forum Pro • Posts: 13,381
Re: You can still salvage this without reverting

Phil Askey wrote:

Because they're a team of n people who can only do a certain amount of testing / are used to using the forums in a certain way.  As soon as you release code to 100,000n you find all the holes, mistakes and preferences (and a lot of what I've read is to do with "what I'm used to" and "preference").  What makes the difference is being able to listen and make changes (although not knee-jerk, considered and by agreement).

Scroll city was not something that needed any testing. Or did the testing only happened on 24"+ monitors?

sueanne
sueanne Forum Pro • Posts: 19,665
Re: Do the votes for likes or dislikes...

be checked with WHO casted that thumbs up and downs?

Can I just say like and dislike without ANY accountability????

(I can see that being a BIG problem)

sueanne's gear list:sueanne's gear list
Canon PowerShot A510 Canon PowerShot A650 IS Canon PowerShot SD880 IS Canon PowerShot S3 IS Canon PowerShot S110 +3 more
Phil1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,380

I wouldn't put it quite like that, but I do agree that the blue on black is difficult to read easily. Why be 'arty' for appearances sake & lose essential functionality? Surely the tech wizards can come up with something attractive but, more importantly, something emminently easy to use?

Phil

mrsfixit
mrsfixit Senior Member • Posts: 1,473
Re: I have FOUND it simple ....

Leo wrote:

Just click on your name

Thank you!

I was searching for that as well.

Candice in PA

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads