New DPR site sucks

Started Oct 3, 2012 | Discussions
Phil Askey
Phil Askey Veteran Member • Posts: 9,822
Re: You can still salvage this without reverting

Because they're a team of n people who can only do a certain amount of testing / are used to using the forums in a certain way.  As soon as you release code to 100,000n you find all the holes, mistakes and preferences (and a lot of what I've read is to do with "what I'm used to" and "preference").  What makes the difference is being able to listen and make changes (although not knee-jerk, considered and by agreement).

Having done several of these big launches myself everything I'm hearing / seeing has been said before, and everything will be just fine in a few weeks time.  As Simon said the forums was the last piece of my old creaky code and it was the biggest code liability (and also the most heavily used part of the site, by a long way).

For the record I wasn't consulted for the forums redesign, nor did I get a preview of it but overall I'd say the team have done a great job and I'm sure they'll address all the concerns aired in the next few weeks.

So do your community bit and provide constructive criticism, but also show a little patience.

Sammy Yousef wrote:

Also if you guys have been using it for weeks how did you miss some of the bugs users caught in the first 30 or 40 minutes? Why did you decide to convert the database over as it ran, which meant that some of us were in the middle of writing messages that got posted for minutes before being wiped because they hadn't been converted? Why did you decide to go live when features available on the old board were missing. (A change of layout, okay but features). Why did you decide to rename the forums on the same day? One change at a time wasn't enough? Why wasn't there more consultation regarding what people did want? Why isn't there instruciton on how the voting buttons work and how voting for a post affects a thread? Why did we have to work this out for ourselves?

Phil Askey's gear list:Phil Askey's gear list
Leica Q Sony RX10 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Leica M10 +11 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,860

Phil Askey wrote:

So do your community bit and provide constructive criticism, but also show a little patience.

Hey Phil!

How are the vacuums selling lately?

BaldCol Regular Member • Posts: 279
Re: I agree. It's just terrible.

ABA DABA wrote:

Not only will I refrain from this site but I will consider very strongly in cancelling my Amazon relationship, there are others out there I spend money on.

LMAO... you are never going to buy from Amazon again because they had the audacity to upgrade forum software that hasn't been touched for ten years! Presumably you are still using Windows for Workgroups and a manual focus film camera.

Get a life guys.

BaldCol's gear list:BaldCol's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +3 more

Its a funny, Phil. Wink-wink!

Dear god the negative votes!

-- hide signature --

Question all media always.

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,332
Re: New DPR site sucks

ABA DABA wrote:

OK if it ain't broke don't fix it. This new layout is in my opinion GARBAGE

Please go back to what was , the blue on black is irratating, and navagating is also more time wasting. Fire the person that presented thproposed change.

What an incredibly negative post. You must be quite a ray of sunshine to everyone round you. As a guest on this forum you are impolite.

Zone8 Forum Pro • Posts: 17,276
New DPR site sucks - SURE DOES!

100% agree - less showing on a listing page due the space-consuming layout - hard to see whether any messges have been previously read by viewer, very difficult to negotiate in sense of time involved.  Some things an improvement - like the icons for getting BOLD and suchlike but overall - pretty awful to work with.  Am sure no changes will now be made so looks as though my visits and posts will be considerably reduced as don't like the new layout.

tinpusher
tinpusher Senior Member • Posts: 1,372
Re: New DPR site sucks - SURE DOES!

It certainly is more difficult to read although Flat View seems preferable.

The mis-use of colour and fonts is rather like one of my early web page attempts back in 1994 ; probably a great technical design under the hood but lousy graphics.

This is a site to be read not just looked at so the design emphasis should have aimed at readability.

tinpusher
tinpusher Senior Member • Posts: 1,372

I was going to edit my post to say that the right hand side of the page is corrupting periodically in IE9 and then I saw that I couldn't edit my post!

Ahah ..just found the edit option which previously hadn't appeared in my IE9.

So this page corrupts in IE9 , freezes in Google Chrome , works in Mozilla and looks best with Opera or Safari.

Zone8 wrote:

100% agree - less showing on a listing page due the space-consuming layout - hard to see whether any messges have been previously read by viewer, very difficult to negotiate in sense of time involved.  Some things an improvement - like the icons for getting BOLD and suchlike but overall - pretty awful to work with.  Am sure no changes will now be made so looks as though my visits and posts will be considerably reduced as don't like the new layout

I'm debating whether to give you a plus or minus for this post. Hmmm...

Sammy Yousef
Sammy Yousef Veteran Member • Posts: 4,640

Phil Askey wrote:

Because they're a team of n people who can only do a certain amount of testing / are used to using the forums in a certain way.  As soon as you release code to 100,000n you find all the holes, mistakes and preferences (and a lot of what I've read is to do with "what I'm used to" and "preference").  What makes the difference is being able to listen and make changes (although not knee-jerk, considered and by agreement).

I work as a software programmer. I won't say for whom, but the systems are financial, the numbers can be big and more importantly the room for mistakes and the resulting loss of reputation is zero. I will admit our user base is smaller, but our team isn't very large either, and we take care of a lot of systems.

No system is bug free, but there are ways and means to unit test code so that basic mistakes do not slip through. Do the team have any unit tests in place, or was it mostly or even entirely ad-hoc testing? To reduce the burden you should have some sort of web unit test framework and some real test cases. Which framework depends on what software you're using.

I agree that knee jerk reactions will do more harm than good.

Having done several of these big launches myself everything I'm hearing / seeing has been said before, and everything will be just fine in a few weeks time.  As Simon said the forums was the last piece of my old creaky code and it was the biggest code liability (and also the most heavily used part of the site, by a long way).

I also maintain old codebases which will eventually shift so I understand the motivation. Major rewrites tend to take years.

With respect the backlash has not been this large or this univeral before. The board ignores this at their own peril.

For the record I wasn't consulted for the forums redesign, nor did I get a preview of it but overall I'd say the team have done a great job and I'm sure they'll address all the concerns aired in the next few weeks.

As I said a lot of effort, that is clear. But I don't think positive criticism means glossing over major problems. You can learn from them and move on but pretending BIG mistakes weren't made is not to anyone's advantage. I think the guys would still be patting each other on the back if no one complained and I"m sorry but the quality doesn't warrant that (YET...as I said it's still fixable). To be a little blunter a wake up call is needed here, not a huge "well done". There will be time to celebrate if the backlash dies down and the board grows rather than shrinks. Nor am I saying there should be no moral or pride in what has been done. Just that it's not time to celebrate when 2 out of 3 users based on this thread are telling you the changes are very bad.

Would like nothing more than to see everything resolved within a few weeks. I gain nothing from this board's downfall and I will be the first to congratulate you guys if it all comes together.

Please take all of the above as intended - with sincerity. When I say the changes are bad, I am not saying the guys running the site or coding are bad. When I say the choices are bad it's because I want to see them fix the situation not because I want the site to die so I can have a laugh.

Paljas wrote:

ABA DABA wrote:

Please go back to what was , the blue on black is irratating, and navagating is also more time wasting. Fire the person that presented thproposed change.

What an incredibly negative post. You must be quite a ray of sunshine to everyone round you. As a guest on this forum you are impolite.

You got a minus vote! Isn't this great?!

becasabot Regular Member • Posts: 384

So, dear Richard, is this a test run only?

We, protesters, may be a bit harsh but please understand the frustration.

It's like: our cosy conversation in a peacuful corner of a pretty cafe is suddenly ruined by replaced seats, construction work noise and tacky new decoration.

Is it, at least possible, to deploy both versions so that any user could pick his choice of layout?

Probably too difficult if not impossible, but I would expect dpr to beat the odds.

Well, here is my vote then: the older version is much better.

PS: Also,  Forums drop down menu could be simplified deleting most of the redundant trailing "Talk"s , for better readability

Minus 7 ???... you're too negative

I don't read your stuff with bad numbers like that.

-- hide signature --

Question all media always.

Sammy Yousef
Sammy Yousef Veteran Member • Posts: 4,640
Number 1 bug that must be fixed is image sharpness in posts

This is a photography board, so this one is unforgivable. Didn't realise how bad the problem was until I looked at a thread where I had complimented the photographer a few days ago.

Quite frankly with the sharpness issues I've just seen I will not post any photos here unless it's fixed. I almost wish I could remove all my old posts. I just don't want my images seen like that. I spent a lot of time, effort and money developing my technique and buying gear to get my images sharp, and I won't have them ruined at output.

And I was no big fan of the old system with it's dithering either so I was quite open to change.
Please fix this one with great urgency.

-- hide signature --

Sammy.
My forum postings reflect my own opinions and not those of my employer. I'm not employed in the photo business.

Greg Gebhardt
Greg Gebhardt Forum Pro • Posts: 25,501
It is not that bad, in fact

give it some time and it may just grow on you.

I am sure DPR will tweak it as needed, just give them some time.  There are some new features in this new format that have great promise

-- hide signature --

Greg Gebhardt in
Jacksonville, Florida

Greg Gebhardt's gear list:Greg Gebhardt's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Leica Q Leica M9 Nikon D4
Victor Engel Forum Pro • Posts: 18,377
Re: A ghastly abomination which signals the beginning of the end for DPR.

Is there a post or document somewhere with a listing of items changes, deleted, or added? How about an image showing before/after? I think such things would facilitate a discussion on what should be worked on.

Victor Engel's gear list:Victor Engel's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 5DS Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +12 more
Victor Engel Forum Pro • Posts: 18,377
Compact View

Someone posted that there is a compact view. I can't find that post, but I guess it doesn't matter. I was just going to ask how to switch to it.

Victor Engel's gear list:Victor Engel's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 5DS Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +12 more
pixd90 Senior Member • Posts: 1,462
Re: New DPR site sucks +1

when i leave a post and return to thread later, i do not see the point where i left off?

pixd90's gear list:pixd90's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM
jonikon Veteran Member • Posts: 6,563

ABA DABA wrote:

Agreed. Too many overpaid nerds trying to justify their inflated pay by making unnecessary and undesirable changes , no doubt.. It  is obvious that DPR has chosen a bureaucratic culture now and there will be no going back to reason.,  unfortunately.

jonikon's gear list:jonikon's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-T2 +11 more
Florida Nature Photographer Veteran Member • Posts: 8,114
Re: I wouldn't say suck...but certainly no added value.

Simon Joinson wrote:

Graystar wrote:

1. "Recent Activity" used to list the forum that the post was in, and you could click it to go to that forum.  That's gone.

fix coming

It would be better if it took you to the next new post in that thread. Not the start of the thread like the old software did.

Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads