The verdict is in: EOS-M is terribly SLOW.

Started Oct 3, 2012 | Discussions
YiannisPP Senior Member • Posts: 1,641
Re: The EOS-M Quandary...

Sean Nelson wrote:

Marco Nero wrote:

Sure, there's plenty of mirror-less alternatives on the market.  But how many can I stick my L-lenses on?

From what I can see, that's the only unique thing the EOS-M has going for it.   If you don't have any existing Canon glass then I really don't see why you'd want one.

The problem is, of course, that most people with Canon lenses are really interested in a somewhat more capable camera.   For some reason Canon seems to think this is a camera that's primarily of interest to P&S upgraders, but if you're a P&S upgrader what reason would you have to choose this over competing mirrorless cameras that are part of a more mature system?

Maybe because the potential IQ is higher than the other mirrorless systems? It has as big a sensor as any and the best collection of lenses?

justmeMN Veteran Member • Posts: 9,948
EOS-M vs the competition

If you've already got those lenses from Canon, then the EOS-M is a natural choice.  If not, I don't see what the attraction is.

The EOS-M has a larger sensor than M43 or Nikon 1.

The EOS-M probably creates better JPGs that the NEX, and probably has a better menu system design than the NEX. (Some reviews ding the NEX for smearing details with overly aggressive noise reduction, and the NEX menu system is often criticized.)

And the 2013 version of the EOS-M should offer improved focusing speed.

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,853
Re: The verdict is in: EOS-M is terribly SLOW.

What is that guess based on?

aim120 Regular Member • Posts: 264

Marco Nero wrote:

Sure, there's plenty of mirror-less alternatives on the market.  But how many can I stick my L-lenses on?

In order to stick a L-glass one needs to buy the optional adaptor,knowing that the AF is slow in STM lenses it will be even slower in EF/EFS lenses.

You can also buy a adaptor for NEX cameras which gives you AF and aperture control for the EF/EFS lenses .Alhtough the below is still might be in beta stage,it mostly focuses faster then canons own implemenation in EOS M.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6ICOsA0XEc

Sean Nelson
Sean Nelson Forum Pro • Posts: 14,299
Re: EOS-M vs the competition

justmeMN wrote:

If you've already got those lenses from Canon, then the EOS-M is a natural choice.  If not, I don't see what the attraction is.

The EOS-M has a larger sensor than M43 or Nikon 1.

That's true, but I consider the M43 sensor to be in the same neighborhood as Canon's APS sensors.   The Canon sensor has less than a 1.5X greater area than M43, while full frame has almost 2.5X greater area than the Canon - so M43 and Canon APS are closer than Canon APS and FF.

Not only that, but in terms of noise performance, current M43 systems are handily outperforming the APS-C DSLR which I bought a few years back.  So for a person like me looking to switch, the maturity and performance of M43 seems like a very attractive choice.

Nikon 1 is probably too much of a step down for me (it has an area almost 3X smaller than Canon APS).   The Sony system is interesting, particularly because they support 1080p60 video which is a requirement for my next camera - but their lens lineup is still lacking.   Their new collapsible zoom makes their new system a lot more attractive than it used to be, though.

Sean Nelson
Sean Nelson Forum Pro • Posts: 14,299

YiannisPP wrote:

Sean Nelson wrote:

Marco Nero wrote:

From what I can see, that's the only unique thing the EOS-M has going for it.   If you don't have any existing Canon glass then I really don't see why you'd want one.

Maybe because the potential IQ is higher than the other mirrorless systems? It has as big a sensor as any and the best collection of lenses?

I bought my existing APS DSLR because it was "good enough" compared to FF.  Technology has moved on, and M43 is now "good enough" for my needs.  As I've explained in another post, M43 sensors are not that much smaller than APS-C and they now exceed the noise performance of my current DSLR, so their sensor size is pretty much a non-issue for me.

Canon does indeed have an excellent selection of lenses.   But the problem is that they're almost all designed without compact size as an important design goal, so most of them defeat the biggest advantages of a mirrorless system - small size and light weight.   The M43 system has more then enough lens choice with more than enough quality to satisfy me, and those lenses are all quite a lot smaller and lighter than my existing APS and FF lenses of equivalent fields of view.

If size and weight weren't an important consideration for me, I wouldn't be considering a switch to mirrorless in the first place.

Fair enough. But as you know, it's all relative. Maybe the 4/3 sensors characteristics are good enough for you but the enemy of "good" is "better" and the EOS M sensor is still about 50% bigger than a 4/3 sensor.

OP pixelmess Forum Member • Posts: 66

Just because camera A has a bigger sensor than camera B doesn't mean the picture output will be better on camera A.

Engadget measure based on real-world scenario.

I doubt they're as thorough as Dpreview.

" It's not the most sluggish focusing we've seen, but it's darn close. "

Take that for what it's worth.  Please let us know how it performs when you get your shipment.

pixelmess wrote:

Just because camera A has a bigger sensor than camera B doesn't mean the picture output will be better on camera A.

Did I say that? Picture output depends on many things. But if 50% more light falls on a 2012 sensor, then it's very probable that the photos are going to profit from that.

The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet. (Damon Runyon)

Markintosh
Markintosh Senior Member • Posts: 1,967

pixelmess wrote:

It may not be faster or better autofocus — but quality of the image is great, 650D quality! And this is what really matter (and ability to use EF/EF-S lenses)

Markintosh's gear list:Markintosh's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M Voigtlander 40mm F2 Ultron SL II Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM Art +8 more
qianp2k Forum Pro • Posts: 10,350

My future mirrorless must be able to use my Canon lenses thru an adapter with AF/AE support.  So my only choice is to wait till Canon figures out.

-- hide signature --

"It may not be faster or better autofocus — but quality of the image is great, 650D quality!"

Shooting inanimate objects are the ONLY qualified subjects for slow-focusing cameras (until a flash is used).  Having said that, a large sensor is not needed for such subjects.  Especially for everyday pictures, including 8x10.

sjprg
sjprg Senior Member • Posts: 1,884
Re: EOS-M is a puzzling camera...

Mainly because it is a small easy to carry camera that will allow the use of the complete range of Canon lenses if you need an emergency backup, Put the pancake lense on it and you also have a decent travel camera. This I am sure is a test the waters camera could lead to greater things.

Regards

-- hide signature --

Paul

sjprg's gear list:sjprg's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony RX100 VII Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Nikon D800E Canon EOS M +14 more
JohnnyRX7 Senior Member • Posts: 1,853

I still look forward to getting mine... I recently just got a 1DX..it will make a nice backup cam and replacement for my aging S90.

-- hide signature --

Johnny

Mk7 Senior Member • Posts: 1,347
Re: EOS-M is a puzzling camera...

Tapper123 wrote:

This camera seems like a very weak entry from Canon.

It's a Canon.  What did you expect?

I can't understand why anyone would choose the EOS-M aside from brand loyalty (which is irrational).

Nothing a little advertising can't overcome

Jason Reuschlein Regular Member • Posts: 122

The G1X could have been way better if it had decent speed. What is Canon's problem? The RX100 is selling very well because it has DSLR-like speed.

Canon's problem is they care more about image quality and the usefulness of the photographic tool than they do about pandering to the lowest common denominator.  Shame on Canon for selling millions of cameras and still creating high quality products!

Re: Not really misimpression

I own four Canon lenses, two EF and two EF-S.  I'm not a professional.  As for Sony's bodies, I'm sure they're fine, but they're line of lenses is much less complete than Canon's collection.  Not only that, Canon is known for making great glass and they've been getting even better lately.  Lenses that I had very low expecations from have turned out great image quality.  It is entirely possible that their line of EF-S lenses could entice some people to stay with crop sensors into the forseeable future.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads