NEX Hotshoe Adapter from Amazon

Started Oct 3, 2012 | Discussions
Mick Porter Regular Member • Posts: 309
NEX Hotshoe Adapter from Amazon

I recently bought this hotshoe adapter for my NEX-5n:
http://www.amazon.com/EzFoto-Adapter-E-Mount-Cameras-wireless/dp/B008IYF3SO

I'm surprised there hasn't been a lot of discussion around the web on this one, as it's cheap ($17) and works really well. I used a shipping forwarding service to ship it outside of USA, still didn't cost very much.

The adapter screws down really firmly on top of my NEX-5n, and it syncs fine at 1/200 both for wireless trigger and for on-camera flash. The 5n has the ability to turn off the liveview so that the screen doesn't go dark when you are preparing the shot in low light.

Here's an example of a shot I took last week using the NEX-5n, 4 flashes, and this adapter:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/pXJLHEeL222D0KtYArpYR9MTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

Mick Porter's gear list:Mick Porter's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony a7R II Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +3 more
Sony Alpha NEX-5N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
RussellInCincinnati Veteran Member • Posts: 3,201
would be nice if Nex C3 recognized adapter as flash

The ideal situation is for the Nex to recognize the flash adapter as being a mounted flash, so that the Nex knows to keep the viewfinder bright even thought the non-flash exposure settings are real dark. And you can ask a Nex 5n to keep the viewfinder always bright no matter what, so no problem there. Unfortunately the cheapest Nex C3 has no such firmware option, and the simple adapter of this thread will not tell that particular camera to give you the always-bright viewfinder you'd want.

wll Veteran Member • Posts: 4,821
Re: NEX Hotshoe Adapter from Amazon

Mick Porter wrote:

I recently bought this hotshoe adapter for my NEX-5n:
http://www.amazon.com/EzFoto-Adapter-E-Mount-Cameras-wireless/dp/B008IYF3SO

I'm surprised there hasn't been a lot of discussion around the web on this one, as it's cheap ($17) and works really well. I used a shipping forwarding service to ship it outside of USA, still didn't cost very much.

The adapter screws down really firmly on top of my NEX-5n, and it syncs fine at 1/200 both for wireless trigger and for on-camera flash. The 5n has the ability to turn off the liveview so that the screen doesn't go dark when you are preparing the shot in low light.

Here's an example of a shot I took last week using the NEX-5n, 4 flashes, and this adapter:

A few month ago there were thread upon thread on this shoe. It is a JJC MSA-10 and sold all over the place on e-bay.

I have two of them and they work great. I use them as a hot shoe for my wireless transmitter. I personally would not put a big flash on it because the mount may not be strong enough (IMHO), but others have.

Search JJC MSA-10 hot shoe and Shadow hot shoe and all kinds of stuff should come up.

wll

OP Mick Porter Regular Member • Posts: 309

wll wrote:

A few month ago there were thread upon thread on this shoe. It is a JJC MSA-10 and sold all over the place on e-bay.

I have two of them and they work great. I use them as a hot shoe for my wireless transmitter. I personally would not put a big flash on it because the mount may not be strong enough (IMHO), but others have.

Search JJC MSA-10 hot shoe and Shadow hot shoe and all kinds of stuff should come up.

wll

Thanks wll, I never saw the threads on JJC MSA-10 or didn't recognise it as the same. I saw all the threads on Shadow, as well as all the discussion on DIY attempts at modifying the little Sony flash, and the Seagull solution. I bought the SYK-5 but never tried it out because of this adapter. Every time I've Googled the obvious keywords, the threads about the Shadow come up.

Cheers, Mick

Sony a7 II Sony a7R II Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +3 more
captura Forum Pro • Posts: 25,991

For $7.99 there's this one that is for the 3 and 5 only, but who knows?

http://www.amazon.com/EzFoto-universal-mount-adapter-E-Mount/dp/B005GTEERA/ref=pd_cp_p_3

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Sony a7 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +3 more
butterfly0fdoom Forum Member • Posts: 54

Are there any particular triggers you would recommend?

butterfly0fdoom's gear list:butterfly0fdoom's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
sumit kishore Forum Member • Posts: 66

captura wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/EzFoto-universal-mount-adapter-E-Mount/dp/B005GTEERA/ref=pd_cp_p_3

Isn't that only a coldshoe - no electrical contact to the NEX?

pmow
pmow Contributing Member • Posts: 825

I use the CowboyStudio triggers, and they work fine so far.

pmow's gear list:pmow's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +3 more
fotowbert
fotowbert Senior Member • Posts: 2,894
$8 cold shoe

sumit kishore wrote:

captura wrote:

Isn't that only a coldshoe - no electrical contact to the NEX?

Check the 3rd "Product Feature"

Please note there is no electrical connection made with this adapter, it is a shoe mount only.

(I would have put this at top but new format seems to force quoted text on top   )   John

fotowbert's gear list:fotowbert's gear list
Canon PowerShot A20 Canon PowerShot SD870 IS Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ8 Canon PowerShot S95 +15 more

So something like this along with the adapter that OP linked to would work, right?

Fujifilm X100S
sumit kishore Forum Member • Posts: 66
Re: would be nice if Nex C3 recognized adapter as flash

RussellInCincinnati wrote:

And you can ask a Nex 5n to keep the viewfinder always bright no matter what, so no problem there. Unfortunately the cheapest Nex C3 has no such firmware option

What option is this? Does the Nex5 have it?

PeterWrth Regular Member • Posts: 113

I bought a JJC MSA-10 for my 5N but could not get it to work. It tested OK (with the test button) but would not fire with the shutter. I attached and screwed it down firmly with the tiny screwdriver provided and tried a variety of settings to no avail. I returned it (eBay) and, when the seller got it back, advised me it worked OK, so I got a refund rather than a replacement.

My question, please - could there be some trick/setting I overlooked?

Thanks, Peter

fotowbert
Disable live view on 5n

Disable live view to keep the lcd bright while using the MSA-10 adapter.

The 5n has this capability.

Sorry I can't tell you where in the menus you to do this as I don't have a 5n yet.

John

Canon PowerShot A20 Canon PowerShot SD870 IS Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ8 Canon PowerShot S95 +15 more
Re: would be nice if Nex C3 recognized adapter as flash

sumit kishore wrote:

And you can ask a Nex 5n to keep the viewfinder always bright no matter what, so no problem there. Unfortunately the cheapest Nex C3 has no such firmware option

Unfortunately the option to disable liveview didn't exist in the NEX5 either, it came in with the 5n.

PeterWrth wrote:

I bought a JJC MSA-10 for my 5N but could not get it to work. It tested OK (with the test button) but would not fire with the shutter. I attached and screwed it down firmly with the tiny screwdriver provided and tried a variety of settings to no avail. I returned it (eBay) and, when the seller got it back, advised me it worked OK, so I got a refund rather than a replacement.

Thanks, Peter

Peter, I don't think you missed anything - I just put mine on the camera and started shooting.

butterfly0fdoom wrote:

So something like this along with the adapter that OP linked to would work, right?

Sure will

fotowbert
Sorry didn't notice ....

Sorry, I didn't notice you were asking about the NEX 5 and not the 5n with all the frustration caused by the new forum format.

The disable live view seems to be only on models with EVFcapability.    John

Mick Porter wrote:

sumit kishore wrote:

Unfortunately the option to disable liveview didn't exist in the NEX5 either, it came in with the 5n.

wll Veteran Member • Posts: 4,821

PeterWrth wrote:

Thanks, Peter

I have two of them, One has to be put one very firmly to work, so I just leave it on. You may need to play with it a bit as I did. The other one works right away when I put it on..

I wish someone would make one that had some quality to it, as I have the Shadow unit too and that unit does not work for me at all.

wll

Awesome, thanks! Any flash you'd recommend in particular?

Fujifilm X100S

butterfly0fdoom wrote:

Awesome, thanks! Any flash you'd recommend in particular?

The Yongnuo YN-460 or YN-460 II are the best value for money. You can only run full manual with this setup anyway, they're amazing for the price. I've got one of each, not much difference between the two.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads