Likw some comments on my printing write-up

Started Oct 1, 2012 | Discussions
Ben_Egbert Forum Pro • Posts: 20,228
Likw some comments on my printing write-up

I just posted this write-up to my website and would like some comments. If you spot an error please let me know.

http://ben-egbert-photo.com/?page_id=790

-- hide signature --

What I see when I open the image and view it at 100% is very important to my overall attitude toward a final print. When I look at the print I know what’s there and what I had to do to get there. For me, good enough does not work.

http://ben-egbert.smugmug.com/

Ben

Ben_Egbert's gear list:Ben_Egbert's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +1 more
jeffsw6 New Member • Posts: 24
Re: Likw some comments on my printing write-up

I am a total novice and I found your write-up informative.

If I could make one suggestion, there is a lot of arithmetic in the first section. If I didn't already know about print resolution -- I have met some photographers who don't really get it -- I don't think I would be helped by the way you explain it.

Perhaps a picture or diagram with measuring rules to show the number of pixels along an axis if the print is 16.5" and how many more pixels there would be, or less dots-per-inch with the restriction of the original photograph, if you could print 20".

OP Ben_Egbert Forum Pro • Posts: 20,228

Thanks good feedback. I am not sure I can add diagrams because I don't have a drawing program but I could do a more detailed math formula.

For example I could say that you divide the print inches into the camera resolution to obtain PPI. Then show an example.

-- hide signature --

What I see when I open the image and view it at 100% is very important to my overall attitude toward a final print. When I look at the print I know what’s there and what I had to do to get there. For me, good enough does not work.

Ben

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +1 more
Hugowolf Forum Pro • Posts: 12,674

Putting personal taste and esthetics aside (I prefer narrow black frames with white/off white single 8-ply mats):

The arithmetic at the start isn't complex, but needs rearranging:

You state 3744/16.5=226 PPI, before you have introduced the 16.5 inches. I think you need state why you would go with 16.5 inches first. You need units, and you need a space between numbers and operators – you do that some places but not others. It has to be consistent – same goes for PPI and ppi.

"I have printed as large as 16.5 x 29.5 which is 190 ppi". You were working with the short side, and now, without a mummer, you base the calculation on the long side (and assume you are working with the same sensor?). I think you need to make it plain – show the calculation – of how you got the 190 ppi.

The Epson 3800 may well handle ProfotoRGB just fine, but the 3800 doesn't even cover all of the sRGB colorspace. How the ProfotoRGB image is mapped, to the limited gamut of your printer, depends on what rendering intent you choose.

That "work pretty good", should be "work pretty well".

"This is an art matt paper that has the look and texture of Hahnemuhle fine art paper". Hahnemühle make several fine art papers, with everything from 500 g/m² cotton water color papers to papers with bamboo, sugarcane, and rice content.

Brian A

Rkelac Regular Member • Posts: 466

Nice article. Just a comment on borders. The maximum print size width is 16.75 ( if you don't go borderless) with about .13 borders.

Red River Aurora White is a nice, inexpensive paper but it has OBAs, is a bit thinner, and doesn't have the dmax of some of the other fine art papers.

Rkelac's gear list:Rkelac's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8

Hugowolf wrote:

Putting personal taste and esthetics aside (I prefer narrow black frames with white/off white single 8-ply mats):

The arithmetic at the start isn't complex, but needs rearranging:

You state 3744/16.5=226 PPI, before you have introduced the 16.5 inches. I think you need state why you would go with 16.5 inches first. You need units, and you need a space between numbers and operators – you do that some places but not others. It has to be consistent – same goes for PPI and ppi.

"I have printed as large as 16.5 x 29.5 which is 190 ppi". You were working with the short side, and now, without a mummer, you base the calculation on the long side (and assume you are working with the same sensor?). I think you need to make it plain – show the calculation – of how you got the 190 ppi.

The Epson 3800 may well handle ProfotoRGB just fine, but the 3800 doesn't even cover all of the sRGB colorspace. How the ProfotoRGB image is mapped, to the limited gamut of your printer, depends on what rendering intent you choose.

That "work pretty good", should be "work pretty well".

"This is an art matt paper that has the look and texture of Hahnemuhle fine art paper". Hahnemühle make several fine art papers, with everything from 500 g/m² cotton water color papers to papers with bamboo, sugarcane, and rice content.

Brian A

Thanks Brian, I did redo the text, but I will return with your comments in mind, I will probably delete the Hahnemuhle comment and just leave it at fine art mat.

The nuance between well and good have escaped me for 72 years. I can fix it when told, but can't learn it.

-- hide signature --

Ben

Rkelac wrote:

Nice article. Just a comment on borders. The maximum print size width is 16.75 ( if you don't go borderless) with about .13 borders.

I rounded off.

Red River Aurora White is a nice, inexpensive paper but it has OBAs, is a bit thinner, and doesn't have the dmax of some of the other fine art papers.

Yep, still a great paper, I had test samples of a large group and was not able to see this difference. Longevity is not much of an issue to me because I am not selling stuff and replace most images in 5-6 years.
--

Ben

I rewrote and think I covered your comments pretty well. Need to go back and fix "well", missed that. I did a lot by elimination, but I did fix the math and units. I even doctored up the white mat deal.

-- hide signature --

Ben

Rkelac wrote:

I rewrote to cover all your comments. Thanks again.
--

Ben

GeorgeTalpo Forum Member • Posts: 84
GeorgeTalpo Forum Member • Posts: 84

just messing around looks like a good article
--
http://www.lasvegasprinting.com/Printing/Custom-Backdrops.html

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads