F Mount
Hybrid AF
2.4 M dot EVF
Live view LCD
Built-in flash + hot shoe
New magnesium body
Environmentally sealed

Nikon D40
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Barry Fitzgerald Forum Pro • Posts: 29,888
Re: D400 Worth the wait

Mirror less?
I think that would be an instant deal killer for an action camera.

Bailey151 Senior Member • Posts: 1,144

Most here would hate it..........but give me that in the $1,500 - $1,600 range & I'd put my order in tomorrow.

Barry Fitzgerald wrote:

Mirror less?
I think that would be an instant deal killer for an action camera.

Sorry to break the news but mirrors are on their way out. Close to the physical limitations. And remind me again, about one year ago Nikon themselves stated which camera was the fastest focusing?

I'd not state the D400 will be but eventually they will all be mirrorless. Each generation they get better - the mirror system? Not so much, it's pretty much at the limits.

It's like the human shifted manual trans versus the computer shifted - the computer got better & better..........the human? Nope - seeing any F1s shifted by a human? Nope.

justin_time Contributing Member • Posts: 780
Re: D400 Worth the wait - mirrorless?

If Nikon can make hybrid AF work for action photography then count me in for a high end DX mirrorless camera. I am fed up with inaccuracy/calibration problems with phase AF.

justin_time's gear list:justin_time's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon D7100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +7 more
Tomas_X Regular Member • Posts: 154

Very sorry, but Nikkor f-mount lenses definitely are not usable for fast contrast detect autofocus. Nikon would have to abandon all Nikkor lenses and create new lenses for mirrorless solution. Nikon produces 65 Nikkor lenses and Nikon can create 8 new lenses per a year as maximum. Nikon would make the same lens status 8+ years!!!!
This is the main anti-mirrorless reason.

The second reason: no mirrorless solution is able to use continuous AF. Olympus celebrate OM-D and please read the review here on dpreview - continuous AF. Unusable.

The third reason: I tested my Nikon D300 and Sony A77 in the same time on the same movements. I used 6 fps on D300 and I saw the scene. I used 6 fps with A77 and I saw old pictures, after 2 second about 1 second late!!! EVF!!!

And use EVF indoor by lamplight and darker room. The adaptability of the EVF to the changes of light is terrible and slow. When you use EVF indoor in lower light, the camera makes longer exposure for EVF and by movement you see fuzzy image in EVF. Try to turn yorself by seeing int EVF in low light. You will see fuzzy image in EVF!
No, EVF and mirrorless cannot substitute fast Nikon cameras as D4, D300s, ....

All Nikkors are for phase-detect AF and EVF is slow for the motion in low light and slowly balance light changes, WB changes, ....

Kerry Pierce
MOD Kerry Pierce Forum Pro • Posts: 19,757
mirrorless? No thanks. n/t

No Text

Kerry Pierce's gear list:Kerry Pierce's gear list
Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +17 more
Bailey151 Senior Member • Posts: 1,144

Tomas_X wrote:

The second reason: no mirrorless solution is able to use continuous AF. Olympus celebrate OM-D and please read the review here on dpreview - continuous AF........

The answer to all of this is today - technology moves forward.

Why so many focus issues with recent Nikon offerings? As the MPs go up the tolerances get smaller, they are pretty much at the limit for a mechanical system. Even the small bump from 12mp to 16mp has challenges - one's technique has no room for error. Now @ 24 & 36? Tolerances are tighter still.

Now I'm not about to say today (or even tomorrow) but it is going to happen. The mechanical mirror/shutter is at it's physical limits - more speed requires a new approach.

F-mount is fairly easy, flange distance & on sensor PDAF (with CDAF) - um, they are using it in live view so that half of the technology is solved. They've done it with the 1 system, hybrid...........no reason the tech can't be leveraged.

pavi1 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,852

Not even if the described camera cost less than $500

Josiku wrote:

Mirror-less
24 MP DX
Pixel binning
ISO 100 - 25600
F Mount
Hybrid AF
2.4 M dot EVF
Live view LCD
New magnesium body
Environmentally sealed

-- hide signature --

Everything happens for a reason. #1 reason: poor planning
WSSA #44

ABA DABA Veteran Member • Posts: 3,074

Emphatically no after waiting this long, its already obsolete.
--
ABA DABA

quatpat Contributing Member • Posts: 944

The third reason: I tested my Nikon D300 and Sony A77 in the same time on the same movements. I used 6 fps on D300 and I saw the scene. I used 6 fps with A77 and I saw old pictures, after 2 second about 1 second late!!! EVF!!!

Ok, let's stick to the facts here: first, the A77 doesn't have a 6fps mode, only 3fps, 8fps, and 12fps. The 8fps and 12fps create a sort of a slide-show in the viewfinder, which will result in a 1/8s or 1/12s delay between the action and what you see in the viewfinder. This of course can be rather annoying when shooting fast action at 8fps or 12fps, but there is no such thing as "after 2 seconds about 1 second late". If that was really the case, then you had forgotten to turn the auto review off, which comes down that you did not use the camera properly. This however is hardly the fault of the EVF, rather of a user who didn't read the manual.

quatpat's gear list:quatpat's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron SP AF 200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF) Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM +2 more
Michael S.
Michael S. Veteran Member • Posts: 6,961

Josiku wrote:

Mirror-less
24 MP DX
Pixel binning
ISO 100 - 25600
F Mount
Hybrid AF
2.4 M dot EVF
Live view LCD
New magnesium body
Environmentally sealed

Greetings!
Looks all quite realistic - except the EVF. It will be a classic SLR.

-- hide signature --

Michael S.
EUROPE; dpreview since 2001
NIKON NPS Member
(check equipment via profile)
http://www.pbase.com/bountyhunter

Michael S.'s gear list:Michael S.'s gear list
Leica M Monochrom (Typ 246) Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon D5300 Nikon D610 Leica SL (Typ 601) +5 more
PatMann
PatMann Senior Member • Posts: 1,468

Mirrorless APS-C with F mount will be DOA because it can't compete for compactness with NEX and Fujifilm, and there still aren't any wide primes for DX.

Nikon's APS-C DSLRs are already bigger than they need to be because they're stuck with F mounts.

Didn't Pentax already prove that an APS-C mirrorless camera that takes SLR lenses is a waste?

-- hide signature --

Pat

PatMann's gear list:PatMann's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D810 Nikon PC 19mm F4E ED Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +8 more
Barry Fitzgerald Forum Pro • Posts: 29,888
The mirror ain't the issue it's the viewfinder

Try an SLT model..you get a slideshow of "what happened" not what is happening.

It's a problem not just for action shooting as well. Even subtle facial expressions..EVF isn't my idea of fun (it's ok but it has problems) big battery drain NOT WYSIWYG (DR is way lower in the EVF) lag, noise in low light.

It brings as many issues to the table as it fixes. It is good for MF, it can be handy for WB and stuff..but it's not even close to good enough to rip that mirror out.

Tomas_X Regular Member • Posts: 154
Re: The mirror ain't the issue it's the viewfinder

Thank you for your post. I was charged I could not us A77, but I saw int the EVF what was happened, not what I am shooting. Yes I made small mistake, D300 was 6 fps and A77 8 fps, not 6 fps, but the skilled owner switched A77 right  and I tried it and I saw I do not want EVF.

torags Senior Member • Posts: 1,574

Well I owned a V1 and I think its the future; but not the way it's implemented in the V1

I don't care if they call it the d400 or Cooldick 8375. An EVF with an on/off switch from LCD would eliminate the lag of the eye sensor

A large pro buffer could do away with the ridiculous pic review

A mag body to hold large fast glass would do it for me. I don't care what the mp is, I'm a buyer

-- hide signature --

Rags

pinkydeh Regular Member • Posts: 108

well next year is looking interesting D400 (d300N) D300x whatever the name is. Nikon bring it on

Sameer Thawani New Member • Posts: 21

pinkydeh wrote:

well next year is looking interesting D400 (d300N) D300x whatever the name is. Nikon bring it on

I was really hoping it would be before the end of this year

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads