XPro1 or XE1

Started Sep 28, 2012 | Discussions
DRabbit
DRabbit Veteran Member • Posts: 4,724
XPro1 or XE1
1

I'm having a hard time with this choice.

I have a chance to buy an XPro-1 + 35mm f/1.4 for $1999. It's new.

I already have an XE-1 pre-ordered.

I can't afford both.

My favorite camera is the Leica M8. I can't afford an M-E. I've been watching Fuji for the last year and got a used x100 in the last few months and love it. Though I love shooting with the M8, you'd assume I use the OVF on the x100, but I end up using the EVF 90% of the time.

Size and weight difference between the XE-1 and XPro1 are probably negligible for my purposes - though I'm usually the gal that says "the smaller the better".

Biggest concern is that I do plan on using my M-lenses from time-to-time... and I wonder if the better EVF on the XE-1 would be better suited for that.

What do you think? What would YOU do?

Amy
--

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
Google+: http://gplus.to/DangRabbit
Twitter: http://twitter.com/DangRabbit
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/DangRabbitPhotography
PAD Project: http://www.DangRabbit.com/photography/pad
Gallery: http://www.DangRabbit.com/photography

 DRabbit's gear list:DRabbit's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M5 II +24 more
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-Pro1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Adamant Contributing Member • Posts: 745
Re: XPro1 or XE1

I don't have an answer to your question, but I would point out that it's fairly easy right now to buy an XP1 + 35mm for that price ($2,000). I wouldn't rush into a decision just because you feel like you're getting a good deal. Good luck. This is a nice problem to have!

premneo Junior Member • Posts: 27
Re: XPro1 or XE1

Amazon has X-pro1 with 35mm for 1999. You basically get 300 off the lens as combo price. I am thinking about getting X-pro1 over the XE too, as it is only 400 more!

Strat New Member • Posts: 17
Re: XPro1 or XE1

Hi,

In our house we first had the x100 and I really loved it. I thought I would use the OVF but I almost entirely used the EVF.

I then got an Xpro1 and agin tried to get myself into the habit of using the OVF but again reverted to the EVF. I think for me, I just prefer the EVF and am more confident about focus etc.

But what I missed when out with the xpro1 was the ability to pop a little bit of fill flash into the scene when required and the x100 did this so very well. In fact, I don't know any other camera that balances fill flash to ambient so well - for me at least.

So, for me, I am seriously considering selling the pro1 and getting the Xe1 as I only tend to use the EVF and it is supposed to be a far better unit than Xpro, and it has the modest but great when you need it built in flash and I do like the slightly smaller form factor - the x100 was a perfect size for me - for handling the camera and also for ensuring that it goes everywhere with you.

Good luck with your decision.
--
David

Charlesn Regular Member • Posts: 467
Re: XPro1 or XE1

Hi Amy!

I really believe your posting totally answers your own question.

First: you say you use the EVF on your X-100 90% of the time, and there's no reason to assume that would change with the XPro-1... so why pay the extra $$$ to get the XPro-1's OVF, which is the main reason for its higher cost, bigger size and heavier weight? PLUS... you'd be paying hundreds more for a camera with an EVF that's not as good as the one in the XE-1!

Second, while the bigger size/weight of the XPro-1 doesn't seem to matter to you, you still admit to generally being a "smaller is better" kind of gal. Here again, the XE-1 seems more aligned with your priorities... and keep in mind that it's about the same size as your X100. The XPro-1 is larger than that... Personally, if I'm going to choose a bigger camera than the X100, I'll just grab my DSLR.

Third... although you didn't bring this up... the same $2K that you spend on the XPro-1 and 1 lens will buy you the XE-1 with 2 lenses... that zoom which has so much promise, and something else.

Good luck with your decision... as I said, if you really examine your own priorities, the choice here seems absolutely clear.

(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 13,144
Re: XPro1 or XE1

Strat wrote:

Hi,

In our house we first had the x100 and I really loved it. I thought I would use the OVF but I almost entirely used the EVF.

I then got an Xpro1 and agin tried to get myself into the habit of using the OVF but again reverted to the EVF. I think for me, I just prefer the EVF and am more confident about focus etc.

But what I missed when out with the xpro1 was the ability to pop a little bit of fill flash into the scene when required and the x100 did this so very well. In fact, I don't know any other camera that balances fill flash to ambient so well - for me at least.

So, for me, I am seriously considering selling the pro1 and getting the Xe1 as I only tend to use the EVF and it is supposed to be a far better unit than Xpro, and it has the modest but great when you need it built in flash and I do like the slightly smaller form factor - the x100 was a perfect size for me - for handling the camera and also for ensuring that it goes everywhere with you.

Good luck with your decision.
--
David

That's a great point and a big strike against the X Pro 1. Instant, on-the-fly fill flash is not at all uncommon so having that easily available is a HUGE plus for the X-E1. A shame you cant have both the OVF and fill flash aside from the X100.

-- hide signature --

DISCLAIMER: The text written herein is meant to provide the opinions and/or suggestions of the author. No statement herein is meant to be considered law of the land, representative of any party or group, and or a quote from any party or group. Neither is any statement in the contained text meant to be taken as scripture, doctrine, or all encompassing of an entire populous or any groups or individuals therein.

Charuteiro
Charuteiro Contributing Member • Posts: 725
Re: XPro1 or XE1

Hey David, thanks for your post.

I'm wrestling with a decision of the X Pro1 or X-E1. The same issues of OVF and EVF, available fill flash and overall value have me going back and forth between the two cameras. There was a thread this week about the accuracy of frame lines in the X Pro1 OVF that has me questioning if I really need this nice-to-have feature. I guess what I would like is an interchangeable lens X100; I think that's closer to an X-E1 than X Pro1, posting your experience with both helps me with the decision.

Thanks again.

nplanet Regular Member • Posts: 160
Re: XPro1 or XE1

I had to make a similar decision and I went for the X-E1 with the kit lens. If you sell one of your Leica lenses, you can buy both Fuji cameras and probably few lenses This is what I would do.

Ray Sachs
Ray Sachs Forum Pro • Posts: 10,580
For you, clearly the XE1

If you're gonna use the EVF and don't really care about the OVF, the X-E1 is clearly the better option. I love the OVF and use it 90 percent of the time or more, so the X-Pro is the right call for me. But the OVF adds to the price, complexity, and size of the body and the need for diopter lenses is not as simple as the adjustable diopter on the X-E1, so if you're not gonna use the OVF, there's no good reason to choose the X-Pro...

-Ray
-------------------------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/collections/72157626204295198/

DRabbit
OP DRabbit Veteran Member • Posts: 4,724
Thanks so much everyone... and another decision...

Good advice in this thread.... and I appreciate it! I think my lack of patience is eating away at me (waiting for the XE1) and I was just looking for a way to justify the XPro-1... but really, you are all right, the XE1 is likely the better choice for me.

The fill flash, smaller size and better EVF, for my purposes, is really the way to go. I just have to suck it up and wait. I also like the fact I can get two lenses and the body for the price.

Now the other choice, for those still with me - LOL - 18mm and 35mm lenses are no-brainers for me, but I'm sure I want something in-between.

Do I go for 25mm f/4 or 28mm f/2 (or even 1.9 if I can find one). Either would be Voigtlander, a brand I have a few lenses from already and I love...
28mm might be a little too close to the 35mm, but faster...

25mm seems better suited as the in-betweener, but widest is f/4. However other bonus is it's a pretty darn tiny lens and could make for a great small kit.
I do still plan to keep the x100 for now...

Amy
--

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
Google+: http://gplus.to/DangRabbit
Twitter: http://twitter.com/DangRabbit
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/DangRabbitPhotography
PAD Project: http://www.DangRabbit.com/photography/pad
Gallery: http://www.DangRabbit.com/photography

 DRabbit's gear list:DRabbit's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M5 II +24 more
mjl699
mjl699 Regular Member • Posts: 309
Re: XPro1 or XE1

I really love my X-Pro1 but I use the OVF all the time. Otherwise the X-E1 seems the better choice for you. Keep that M-8 too! I would be interested in your opinion of the pros and cons of both and which produces images you prefer (X-Pro1 with Fuji and Leica glass and M-8).
--
mjl599

 mjl699's gear list:mjl699's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
marike6 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,088
Re: XPro1 or XE1

DRabbit wrote:

I'm having a hard time with this choice.

I have a chance to buy an XPro-1 + 35mm f/1.4 for $1999. It's new.

I already have an XE-1 pre-ordered.

I can't afford both.

My favorite camera is the Leica M8. I can't afford an M-E. I've been watching Fuji for the last year and got a used x100 in the last few months and love it. Though I love shooting with the M8, you'd assume I use the OVF on the x100, but I end up using the EVF 90% of the time.

Size and weight difference between the XE-1 and XPro1 are probably negligible for my purposes - though I'm usually the gal that says "the smaller the better".

Biggest concern is that I do plan on using my M-lenses from time-to-time... and I wonder if the better EVF on the XE-1 would be better suited for that.

What do you think? What would YOU do?

I just bought the X-Pro1/35 1.4 package on Thursday after struggling with your same dilema since the X-E1 was announced.

My arguments were as follows:

For X-E1

  • The Zoom lens - With the X-E1 you get a very nice 18-55 2.8-4 OS, that if purchased separately is $699. So buying the kit for $1399, you essentially get the body for $700. Though I prefer shooting with primes, the wide angle end of the zoom was a major reason that I wanted the X-E1 kit, as I knew that I'd have to buy at least two lenses (18 f2 and 35 1.4) if I went with the X-Pro1 to get a wide angle FOV.

  • The Viewfinder - I prefer an optical VF to an EVF. So I went to Adorama and tried an NEX-7 (it has the same EVF as the X-E1). It is perfectly usable, but it didn't blow me away, and didn't seem dramatically better than how I remembered the X100's EVF. Clearly the specs of the OLED EVF are better, but there was still a bit of lag, and tearing when panning. As I said totally usable, but to me the Hybrid VF of the X100 or X-Pro1 are one of the best parts of the Fuji X cameras.

  • The 460 K LCD of the X-E1 vs 1.2 million dot LCD of the X-Pro1. The 920 K LCD on my D800 is bright and sharp. A joy to use. The fact that the X-Pro1 LCD is even better was significant. I'm sure the X-E1 LCD is more than adequate, but the X-Pro1 LCD tipped the scales in it's favor considerably.

X-Pro1

  • The XF 35 1.4 R. Since this is the lens I most wanted it made sense to just go ahead an start with it. The zoom seems nice, but in a sense it doesn't fit with the rangefinder aesthetic of the X-series cameras.

  • Price - Adorama has an "X-Pro1 Bundle" which for $2,002 ($300 off the 35 1.4) you get the X-Pro1, the 35 1.4, an extra Fuji battery, a Fuji EBC coated 52mm UV filter, a very nice Slinger camera bag (seems like a rebadged Lowepro Nova), a 32 GB Sandisk Extreme III (class 10) SD card, an SD card reader and a card wallet. Since I really wanted the 35 1.4 anyway, and could get it for half price, this deal seemed like a no-brainer.

  • The Hybrid VF - Yes, please.

Finally, the X-E1 is not so expensive that I can see myself at some point adding it as a backup to the X-Pro1. The v2 Firmware has eliminated most AF issues of the X-Pro1, and will likely be the same firmware as the X-E1. Performance, even in low-light, is quite good. With this in mind, it made sense for me to start building a Fuji X system with the best, and X-Pro1.

Good luck, Markus

 marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Charuteiro
Charuteiro Contributing Member • Posts: 725
Re: XPro1 or XE1

Nice comparison, thanks.

nspur Senior Member • Posts: 1,042
Re: XPro1 or XE1

It's reported hereabouts that the X-E1 has the same EVF as the one in Sony's NEX7. I had a NEX7 and I thought its EVF was awful. It may be high resolution but it's just not a photographic tool. Using it is like looking down a variably illuminated telescope with random coloured visual aberrations and it's the main reason I got rid of the NEX7. Compare the VF2/VF3 that Olympus uses as a plug-in EVF and which Leica is using in the X2. That is the nearest thing to an optical VF one can get. The X-Pro1 EVF is close to the Oly one but could probably do with a faster refresh rate.

Anyway much as I might like an X-E1 to pair with the X-Pro1, I'm not going to as the EVF would drive me mad.
--
Nick Spurrier

 nspur's gear list:nspur's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1
Photos-Mike Veteran Member • Posts: 4,021
I'm selling XPro-1 for XE-1...

I use the EVF exclusively, and the XE-1 EVF is much better than the XPro-1.

The reason I'm doing this is because of the really bad omission in the XPro-1 of a diopter adjustment setting. If any camera in the world ever needed a variable diopter setting it's the X-Pro1 and it doesn't have it.

I am long-sighted and need glasses for reading. I have a set of glasses with transitional lenses, with reading magnification at the bottom. I can use the OVF with these glasses and then review on the back LCD. But, when I want to use the EVF, (when I do macros / close-ups the camera switches to the EVF), I have to squint into the viewfinder to work via the bottom of my glasses, and it doesn't work. In the end I have stuck to the EVF and I've had to purchase a Nikon diopter that lets me look into the viewfinder comfortably.

Another issue I foresee with the OVF is that when the zooms are available, especially the longer ones, it's going to be really tricky with the OVF and framing.

So, if I'm only going to use the EVF, I may as well use the better one.

DRabbit wrote:

I'm having a hard time with this choice.

I have a chance to buy an XPro-1 + 35mm f/1.4 for $1999. It's new.

I already have an XE-1 pre-ordered.

I can't afford both.

My favorite camera is the Leica M8. I can't afford an M-E. I've been watching Fuji for the last year and got a used x100 in the last few months and love it. Though I love shooting with the M8, you'd assume I use the OVF on the x100, but I end up using the EVF 90% of the time.

Size and weight difference between the XE-1 and XPro1 are probably negligible for my purposes - though I'm usually the gal that says "the smaller the better".

Biggest concern is that I do plan on using my M-lenses from time-to-time... and I wonder if the better EVF on the XE-1 would be better suited for that.

What do you think? What would YOU do?

Amy
--

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
Google+: http://gplus.to/DangRabbit
Twitter: http://twitter.com/DangRabbit
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/DangRabbitPhotography
PAD Project: http://www.DangRabbit.com/photography/pad
Gallery: http://www.DangRabbit.com/photography

-- hide signature --
Eijnaix Regular Member • Posts: 102
Re: I'm selling XPro-1 for XE-1...

Hi

And I thought I'm the only crazy one to have sold my pro1 while waiting for my ex-1, haha

I'm hoping the jpeg quality that comes out from the new xe-1 will be as good as pro1 if not I'll be kicking myself so hard . And betting that the new 23mm f1.4 is as good as the 35mm f1.4 , it's just too tight for indoor to shoot my kids around with the 35mm most of the time. And for the fund I get for selling , I most prolly had to top up a bit and I would get a better evf with 18-55 and 23mm

And yes, honestly..... The OVF is crap. I mean why do user had to deal with this alignment error sh!t while trying to compose my photo ..

Photos-Mike wrote:
I use the EVF exclusively, and the XE-1 EVF is much better than the XPro-1.

The reason I'm doing this is because of the really bad omission in the XPro-1 of a diopter adjustment setting. If any camera in the world ever needed a variable diopter setting it's the X-Pro1 and it doesn't have it.

I am long-sighted and need glasses for reading. I have a set of glasses with transitional lenses, with reading magnification at the bottom. I can use the OVF with these glasses and then review on the back LCD. But, when I want to use the EVF, (when I do macros / close-ups the camera switches to the EVF), I have to squint into the viewfinder to work via the bottom of my glasses, and it doesn't work. In the end I have stuck to the EVF and I've had to purchase a Nikon diopter that lets me look into the viewfinder comfortably.

Another issue I foresee with the OVF is that when the zooms are available, especially the longer ones, it's going to be really tricky with the OVF and framing.

So, if I'm only going to use the EVF, I may as well use the better one.

DRabbit wrote:

I'm having a hard time with this choice.

I have a chance to buy an XPro-1 + 35mm f/1.4 for $1999. It's new.

I already have an XE-1 pre-ordered.

I can't afford both.

My favorite camera is the Leica M8. I can't afford an M-E. I've been watching Fuji for the last year and got a used x100 in the last few months and love it. Though I love shooting with the M8, you'd assume I use the OVF on the x100, but I end up using the EVF 90% of the time.

Size and weight difference between the XE-1 and XPro1 are probably negligible for my purposes - though I'm usually the gal that says "the smaller the better".

Biggest concern is that I do plan on using my M-lenses from time-to-time... and I wonder if the better EVF on the XE-1 would be better suited for that.

What do you think? What would YOU do?

Amy
--

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
Google+: http://gplus.to/DangRabbit
Twitter: http://twitter.com/DangRabbit
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/DangRabbitPhotography
PAD Project: http://www.DangRabbit.com/photography/pad
Gallery: http://www.DangRabbit.com/photography

Bmat Regular Member • Posts: 338
Re: XPro1 or XE1

I have an xp1. I enjoy it a lot.

That said, I would have gotten an xe1 if its EVF works well, and the refresh rate works well in practice and it was available. I mainly use the OVF on my xp1, but the EVF isn't all that great on the xp1. So if the EVF is better or equal to the OMDs then I would probably have gotten an xe1 if it had available--since the frame lines at times annoy me on my xp1.

So, I think I would wait if I were you to either see and try an xe1 in person, or at the very least wait for there to be a bevy of user reports in the EVF and any lag on that system.

-- hide signature --

Brian. Too much stuff; not enough stuff.

 Bmat's gear list:Bmat's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T2 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +8 more
Jeff Seltzer Senior Member • Posts: 1,794
If you think...

...the OVF is a "nice to have feature" than you should get the X-E1. It's a must-have feature for me.

Charuteiro wrote:

Hey David, thanks for your post.

I'm wrestling with a decision of the X Pro1 or X-E1. The same issues of OVF and EVF, available fill flash and overall value have me going back and forth between the two cameras. There was a thread this week about the accuracy of frame lines in the X Pro1 OVF that has me questioning if I really need this nice-to-have feature. I guess what I would like is an interchangeable lens X100; I think that's closer to an X-E1 than X Pro1, posting your experience with both helps me with the decision.

Thanks again.

framus Contributing Member • Posts: 847
Re: XPro1 or XE1

It all comes down to what you like for the viewfinder.

I got the X-pro1 in order to have a tool that had a 'rangefinder style' means of creating a picture. I seldom use the EVF. If I want a through-the-lens tool I can use my Canon DSLR (languishing on the shelf).

If you are agnostic about the viewfinder the X-E1 seems like the way to go.

If you know you really want an OVF the X-pro1 is the bees knees.

Some seem to have been frustrated by the OVF as they seem unfamiliar with the effects of parallax and how frame-lines work. Avoid the OVF if you expect DSLR like precision.
-Framus

 framus's gear list:framus's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-T1
Eijnaix Regular Member • Posts: 102
Re: XPro1 or XE1

Don't get me wrong , I also enjoy pro1 a lot. The IQ of this baby is outstanding....

But just kinda irritate me when I had to worry about the damn aligment , Focus point and composing all at one go. Firmware 2.0 helps a lot in the focus department but I'm sure u do realize sometimes back focus issue still happens despite using selective af points , right ? EVF helps immediate to see the focus is not right and I can instantly refocus . Even that is already time waste , not to mention using OVF where I can't tell if it's really in focus something.

And yeah , your right ....I should had waited. But I wouldn't had sold it for a good price if xe1 is out and confirm better. I'll take the gamble..... lol

Wish me luck

Bmat wrote:

I have an xp1. I enjoy it a lot.

That said, I would have gotten an xe1 if its EVF works well, and the refresh rate works well in practice and it was available. I mainly use the OVF on my xp1, but the EVF isn't all that great on the xp1. So if the EVF is better or equal to the OMDs then I would probably have gotten an xe1 if it had available--since the frame lines at times annoy me on my xp1.

So, I think I would wait if I were you to either see and try an xe1 in person, or at the very least wait for there to be a bevy of user reports in the EVF and any lag on that system.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads