D800 at Mutt Strutt photo booth

Started Sep 28, 2012 | Discussions
mikenoble Junior Member • Posts: 27
D800 at Mutt Strutt photo booth

Last weekend our local humane association held a Mutt Strutt fund raiser and I set up a photo booth at the end to photograph the walkers and their dogs as they finished. They had me in a tent and I set up a backdrop and used three strobes, one in a softbox, one bare on the background and one hotshoe flash superclamped to the background stand and used for rim light. You can setup lights in a studio and be right on but when you set them up and have different people and dogs parading in can make things tough. Lighting a white dog and then a black dog presents a challenge and I'd adjust the aperture but not always hit the perfect exposure. The D800 is very forgiving in that respect and maintains detail even when I've screwed it up big time. I used my 50mm AFD f/1.4 with a White Lightning 1600, an Alien Bee B800, and an SB-800 for lighting. Here are a few from it. Thanks for viewing.
Mike

mikenoble's gear list:mikenoble's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +7 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Renato Mozzarella Junior Member • Posts: 49
Re: D800 at Mutt Strutt photo booth

Nice!
Do the 2 first ones have a bit HDR editing?

OP mikenoble Junior Member • Posts: 27

No HDR editing. Edited NEF's in Lightroom and went into cs6 and applied a Niksoftware CEF filter. All edited the same way. Maybe too much vibrance there or something.

Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +7 more
5tve Contributing Member • Posts: 678

Wow love the photos its a pity the Alsatian in the bottom picture didn't cooperate but still a great picture.

5tve's gear list:5tve's gear list
Sony a6000 Nikon D7000 OnePlus One
Lance B Forum Pro • Posts: 30,453

Impressive photos with impressive IQ! I like what you have done with these.

So, what is a "Niksoftware CEF filter", please?
--
Lance B
http://www.pbase.com/lance_b

Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +13 more
DANdeMAN
DANdeMAN Senior Member • Posts: 1,001

Both people and animal are beautyful...
--

D800E "The Monster" (07-2012) - SONY V3 (03-2005)

DANdeMAN's gear list:DANdeMAN's gear list
Nikon D800E Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +10 more

I'm sorry, I should have put CEP, Color Efex Pro 4: http://www.niksoftware.com/colorefexpro/usa/index.php . I used the midnight filter but removed it from the faces and toned it down on the rest.

djedi
djedi Senior Member • Posts: 2,795

I find your choice of where to focus (people on #1, dogs on #3) interesting, though I have no complaints about it.

I like your processing- really brings out the quality of the D800, but the last one is just a bit bright in the faces (IMHO).
Wolfgang

-- hide signature --

Old timer

djedi's gear list:djedi's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D800 Nikon D300 +12 more
Ray Ritchie Veteran Member • Posts: 4,012

Those look great, Mike. Nice job.

Ray
My blog: http://www.rritchie.com/wordpress

Ray Ritchie's gear list:Ray Ritchie's gear list
Nikon D800 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sigma 24mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM +1 more
apice
apice Regular Member • Posts: 231
Re: QUESTION!!

I gotta ask this. How come it takes 3 photo applications to process a file from a state-of-the-art 36mb camera? Your files are NICE! but did you really need this process?
I would be curious to see a un-edited file straight from the camera.

Not being funny or smart, just wondering??? I still use Nikon D3 bodies and just a little LR and then off it goes to a network location.

I use all the photo apps at one time or another but not all at the same time. Kinda kills a work flow when you have a thousand or two pix to get out the door.
If you know something that I don't, please share this process.

-- hide signature --

thanks,
Apice
http://apicephoto.com/
E.P.T.A.S.

apice's gear list:apice's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II
QuicksilverCA Contributing Member • Posts: 543

Good shots

apice wrote:

I gotta ask this. How come it takes 3 photo applications to process a file from a state-of-the-art 36mb camera? Your files are NICE! but did you really need this process?

C'mon...you can't get that look with just using Lightroom.

I would be curious to see a un-edited file straight from the camera.

Why? That's the unedited file...as in unfinished.

Not being funny or smart, just wondering??? I still use Nikon D3 bodies and just a little LR and then off it goes to a network location.

Good for you. You are being funny, right? I'll give you that because otherwise you're coming off as pompous.

I use all the photo apps at one time or another but not all at the same time. Kinda kills a work flow when you have a thousand or two pix to get out the door.

That's just it. I didn't have a thousand pics to to rush out the door. This was a charity and I had no time limit on when I had to deliver the files. I did them at my leisure.

If you know something that I don't, please share this process.

The thing is these might have been for charity but just maybe a lot of other people will see them and be wow'd by them and maybe hire me for somethings else. These are all marketing material showing the public that I'm a good option for their photographic needs. And it's already worked. I've had two schedule a shoot and one ask for a large print. And that's the process.

-- hide signature --

thanks,
Apice
E.P.T.A.S.

herbymel Veteran Member • Posts: 6,067

Glad to see you doing something like this...might suggest to them that next year you have them shoot the photos before they take off for the walk Leave an hour pre-walk time for photos. Some of the dogs might be a bit more interested and less tired looking, at least with some. Good job though.
--
Herby

herbymel's gear list:herbymel's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED +6 more
mothergoose
mothergoose Senior Member • Posts: 1,235

These shots have a very artful quality. Nice lighting and wonderful processing. Thanks for explaining how you did this.

mothergoose's gear list:mothergoose's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +10 more
mothergoose
mothergoose Senior Member • Posts: 1,235

. . . and love that backdrop too--compliments without distracting. Having animals included in portraits with people adds much character and charm.

mothergoose's gear list:mothergoose's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +10 more
orchidblooms
orchidblooms Senior Member • Posts: 1,261

image 3 - the dogs look like a wonderful painting

nice work

apice
apice Regular Member • Posts: 231

Dude, just curious about your workflow.
I like results and they are top notch.
I was merely asking about a technique.
--
thanks,
Apice
E.P.T.A.S.

apice's gear list:apice's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II

The overall feeling of your post sure sounded like an attack on my process. Reading it over again I still get that feeling. I'm sorry if that's not what you were doing but it came off to me sounding that way. I'm not thin skinned but tone can be lost in the typing sometimes. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

apice wrote:

Dude, just curious about your workflow.
I like results and they are top notch.
I was merely asking about a technique.
--
thanks,
Apice
E.P.T.A.S.

bills_pix
bills_pix Contributing Member • Posts: 544

I think the post-processing works really well in this case. Nicely done.
--

'There is only one success - to be able to spend your life your own way.' -- Christopher Morley

bills_pix's gear list:bills_pix's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
PatFahey Regular Member • Posts: 453
HDR?

Renato Mozzarella wrote:

Nice!
Do the 2 first ones have a bit HDR editing?

I was going to ask that too. Everything is starting to look like HDR to me.

-Pat

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads