D600 vs a99 .... why?

Started Sep 28, 2012 | Discussions
Clayton1985 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,898
D600 vs a99 .... why?

I'm confused as to why all of the comparisons to the D600. If my budget allows me to consider the a99 and I wanted to also look at other options then I would first consider the D800 or 5DIII. Other than price is there any other reason to drop down to the D600? I'm not suggesting that someone looking at full frame not consider both the D600 and a99 but I just find it strange that there are so many posts comparing these two cameras and not so much the other more logical choices (at least IMO).... I'm sure a lot of it has to do with both cameras being released at the same time.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D600 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha a99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Rashkae Senior Member • Posts: 1,176
Re: D600 vs a99 .... why?

Many of the "keyboard warriors" on here suffer from tunnel vision. They only see the sensor, and think because the sensor is the same/similar that these cameras should be priced the same, etc etc.

By that logic, the Canon 7D should cost as much as a 550D.

When it comes to people looking for the oddest ways to bash Sony, just toss common sense out the door.

Realistically, the A99 has such a massive wealth of features compared to the stripped-down D600 it's not a fair fight at all.

Clayton1985 wrote:

I'm confused as to why all of the comparisons to the D600. If my budget allows me to consider the a99 and I wanted to also look at other options then I would first consider the D800 or 5DIII. Other than price is there any other reason to drop down to the D600? I'm not suggesting that someone looking at full frame not consider both the D600 and a99 but I just find it strange that there are so many posts comparing these two cameras and not so much the other more logical choices (at least IMO).... I'm sure a lot of it has to do with both cameras being released at the same time.

Mark K
Mark K Veteran Member • Posts: 5,608

It is much easier to attack a99, because of slt, evf and higher price
--
Mark K

Mark K's gear list:Mark K's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony SLT-A77 Nikon D800 Canon EOS 5D Mark III NEX5R +67 more
j0hna7oo Regular Member • Posts: 158

the two other carmeras you've mentioned are just far more superior than the A99 with similar price. A99 can only be comparing with those cheap model offered by canikon.

me -- an upset A99 waiter

Clayton1985 wrote:

j0hna7oo's gear list:j0hna7oo's gear list
Sony Alpha a99 Sony Alpha a7 II Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM +5 more
OP Clayton1985 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,898

Of course you are kidding .... the a99 can certainly hold it's own against the other cameras. I was hoping (not necessarily expecting) that Sony would have priced the a99 lower upon release. The a99 at $2300 would have made it really difficult to ignore. At $2800 you are either going to be a current Sony user upgrading or moving into the DSLR/SLT world for the first time. I doubt you'll sway that many Nikon or Canon DSLR users - even those moving from APS-C to FF.

chrisfromalaska Regular Member • Posts: 480

I don't get all the A99 hate, buy it or don't and STFU. The endless bashing and comparisons to other cameras is laughable. They all have strengths vs. the competition. The Canon and Nikon offerings have issues that are well documented. No camera is perfect. Buy what you can afford and what fits your needs.

chrisfromalaska's gear list:chrisfromalaska's gear list
Sony Alpha a7S Sony a5100 Sony Alpha a7R II
Jabez02 Contributing Member • Posts: 643

And when you think that the Canon is ONLY 22MP how much cheaper than the Nikon D600 should the EOS 5D Mark 3 be ?

Just using the same logic as some of our more twisted brothers.

Jabez02's gear list:Jabez02's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha a7R Nikon D750 Sony Alpha a7R II +33 more
op1318 Regular Member • Posts: 244

Just think of people willing to buy a new (or a first) FF camera but not selling so many pictures that price would not be an issue. Most photographers do not sell their work that well these days...

A nice body with 24 Mp CMOS sensor, good 100% coverage viewfinder, 5 to 6 fps continuous drive, HD video, good battery life...

The A99 may be superior to the D600, but 800$ more is not a detail if you think the D600 already has most of what you are looking for.

Comparing those 2 bodies seems quite natural to me. On the paper, the A99 is the winner. But 800$ cheaper, i am quite sure the D600 will sell a lot better!

op1318's gear list:op1318's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +18 more

The Sony Alpha and Nex combined outsell the Nikon F but it will be years before Sony can sell as many cameras in the FF market as Nikon will sell just D800 let alone the D600 - even if they introduced a $2000 camera tomorrow.

Almost all of Nikons sales will be to those who have previously bought Nikon product and those higher end ( mostly older ) advanced photographers with money to change brands. And there are more of these than there were former Minolta or A850/900 users.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha a7R Nikon D750 Sony Alpha a7R II +33 more

That's for sure.

Precisely, as the "challenger", i used to think that Sony should have a more aggressive pricing strategy. I remember the "early days" (2006) when they released the A100 which, at that time, was considered a very attractive camera for a small amount of money.

But nowadays, paradoxically, one may consider that Nikon has a more aggressive strategy than Sony on the FF segment.

This may not encourage photographers (sometimes a bit conservative) to switch brands to the advantage of Sony...

Well, that is my opinion.

Jabez02 wrote:

The Sony Alpha and Nex combined outsell the Nikon F but it will be years before Sony can sell as many cameras in the FF market as Nikon will sell just D800 let alone the D600 - even if they introduced a $2000 camera tomorrow.

Almost all of Nikons sales will be to those who have previously bought Nikon product and those higher end ( mostly older ) advanced photographers with money to change brands. And there are more of these than there were former Minolta or A850/900 users.

Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +18 more
Draek
Draek Senior Member • Posts: 2,028

op1318 wrote:

That's for sure.

Precisely, as the "challenger", i used to think that Sony should have a more aggressive pricing strategy. I remember the "early days" (2006) when they released the A100 which, at that time, was considered a very attractive camera for a small amount of money.

But nowadays, paradoxically, one may consider that Nikon has a more aggressive strategy than Sony on the FF segment.

This may not encourage photographers (sometimes a bit conservative) to switch brands to the advantage of Sony...

I'd agree but, interestingly enough, I'd say that the cause is precisely Sony's overly-aggressive pricing strategy. Namely, the fact that they offer so much for so little in the A77, that if they had cut anything else the A99 would've been a pointless "upgrade" for most photographers; a sensor alone does not make a camera after all.

Nikon, on the other hand, has much less to worry about; can you imagine anyone skipping on the D600 to get a D3200? thought so.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/Draek

Draek's gear list:Draek's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Samsung TL500 Canon PowerShot A1200 Sony Alpha DSLR-A390
Archer66 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,536

Seems to me that people are just upset bc they can't afford the A99 so they start to bash Sony ( and A99 ).

Philippe Laurens New Member • Posts: 11

I think the reason is simple :

• both cameras share the same sensor

• D600 has better IQ than a99 (esp in High ISO Jpeg)

• while the D600 is cheaper than a99

so even if everything else "around" the IQ is better with a99, the main reason u buy a camera remains stronger on the D600 side. for cheaper price.

and it's not just that SLT means 1/3 IL less for the sensor. It's because Sony is just less good in image processing logic, and in JPEG processing.

I have an a700. It was released at the same time as the D300. Both use the exact same sensor. And yet D300 has better IQ & lower noise than a700, just because Nikon has better know how.
I'm just sad that history repeats again & again.

thubleau7 Contributing Member • Posts: 516

Correct times 2

The same old suspects ! The same old lines.

Well, I cannot agree with that.

I cannot imagine someone buying a camera such as the D600 or A99 using in-camera Jpeg processing.

And I do not think anyone could ever distinguish correctly processed RAW files from the A99 and the D600.

Philippe Laurens wrote:

I think the reason is simple :
D600 has better IQ than a99 (esp in High ISO Jpeg)

so even if everything else "around" the IQ is better with a99, the main reason u buy a camera remains stronger on the D600 side. for cheaper price.

and it's not just that SLT means 1/3 IL less for the sensor. It's because Sony is just less good in image processing logic, and in JPEG processing.

I have an a700. It was released at the same time as the D300. Both use the exact same sensor. And yet D300 has better IQ & lower noise than a700, just because Nikon has better know how.

Allan Olesen Veteran Member • Posts: 3,391

op1318 wrote:

I don't see why they should do that in the pro / highly advanced amateur segment.

In the entry segment it makes sense to compete on price. If a new DSLR purchaser without any previous investment in lenses and flashes looks at a Sony kit, a Canon kit and a Nikon kit with identical specs, Sony may very well be able to move him to their camera by having the best price.

But what happens when a pro buys a camera?

He will probably care very little about camera price when he considers a change to another camera make. He will mostly care about two things:
1. Do I have to buy new lenses and flashes?

2. Is this camera so much better than the cameras I can buy in my old make that it justifies the cost for new lenses and flashes?

I simply do not think that Sony can move more Nikon and Canon photographers by lowering the price. Sony can only move them by offering something they cannot get at Canon or Nikon.

I agree that the sensor itself does not make a camera.

But when you are interested in buying a FF camera, you exactly know why and you may not be interested in an APS-C camera at all...

And I would not call the A77 a bargain.

If you mostly use telephoto lenses in good light conditions, this might be a good choice. If you mostly use wide angle lenses in low light conditions, you may find it quite unusable. Always depending on what kind of photography you are interested in.

Draek wrote:

op1318 wrote:

That's for sure.

I'd agree but, interestingly enough, I'd say that the cause is precisely Sony's overly-aggressive pricing strategy. Namely, the fact that they offer so much for so little in the A77, that if they had cut anything else the A99 would've been a pointless "upgrade" for most photographers; a sensor alone does not make a camera after all.

Nikon, on the other hand, has much less to worry about; can you imagine anyone skipping on the D600 to get a D3200? thought so.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/Draek

Endos Senior Member • Posts: 1,380

I would buy an A900 before a D600, but I would buy a D600 before an A99. It's all about "photographic experience", and IMHO the A99 is the worst camera in that regard.
--
Regards,
Juan

http://500px.com/endosphoto
http://www.endosphoto.com

thubleau7 Contributing Member • Posts: 516

same sensor correct times 3

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads