How many of you selling A900/A850 for A99 ?

Started Sep 27, 2012 | Discussions
ekingkong New Member • Posts: 10
Re: How many of you selling A900/A850 for A99 ?

I both got A77 and A850 at their debut date and kept using them until now. I don't get any appeals from A99. Instead, I'm looking forward to the successor of A77 and 36mp of new full-framed DSLT next year or even more years.

So, show my the improvement! Sony!

jonikon Veteran Member • Posts: 6,398

DavieK wrote:

I'm enjoying rediscovering the clarity of the optical finder and its lack of distractions, eve with the grid screen I have fitted. The A99 would not be like rediscovering anything.

David

Once the novelty of using an EVF wears off, the joys of using a good optical viewfinder are being appreciated once again by real photographer. Sony should take notice and start making real DSLRs with OVFs again if they want to re-enter the full frame DSLR market in a serious way. The a99 just doesn't offer much for the money compared to the current FF competition and there is little doubt the poor sales figures for the a99 will prove this to be true.

• Jon

jonikon's gear list:jonikon's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-T2 +11 more
Jabez02 Contributing Member • Posts: 643

Please keep your fantasies out of my fantasies.

A850, A77 and Nex 7 user.

Jabez02's gear list:Jabez02's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha a7R Nikon D750 Sony Alpha a7R II +33 more
Richard M Contributing Member • Posts: 510

Will keep my A900 for now and see the reviews for th eA99 if the High ISO is the same as the A900 Iwill leave it as the A900 is not great in low light compared to other options available.
--
Regards
Richard

Richard M's gear list:Richard M's gear list
Sony a6000 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Sony Alpha a7R II Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +13 more
al. Senior Member • Posts: 1,280
No, not yet

The A850 is still going strong. Hard to give up the nice big FF OVF. And, I already have an A57 and a couple of NEX bodies if I want to do video.

al.'s gear list:al.'s gear list
Sony Alpha a7 II Sony a6500 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +12 more
cosmonaut
cosmonaut Senior Member • Posts: 2,223

I am selling gear to get the a99. I am heavy into Sony lenses. I like Sony and their cameras get the job done for me.
But if anyone needs a a850 it is a buyers market.

JusLookN Veteran Member • Posts: 4,268

I won't be selling my A-900. And I still have my A-700. I use both these workhorses and they do everything I need very well. Including high ISO and low light. So there is no appeal for the A-99! I use specific camcorders for the video I take! So no new cam for me for a while!
--
Glenn

I'm kinda partial to video, but I'm hangin!

JusLookN's gear list:JusLookN's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Nikon D3S Sony a77 II Nikon D810 +1 more
Otherboss Regular Member • Posts: 162

Sold my 850 a month ago and got a good price, ready for the A99, if it measures up, otherwise I'll get a Nex7 as a backup for the A77.

Here in Australia, we can get the A99 for under $2800, which makes it a great deal, where in the past we used to overpay by a ton. Makes it an easy decision when the Canon 5D 111 is $3800 and the Nikon D600 is $2480. $300 extra for an A99 over the Nikon makes it a no brainer, especially when I've got mainly FF lenses.

Will wait to see what the final firmware for the A99 is like.

Otherboss's gear list:Otherboss's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha a99 +1 more
GuyMcKie Contributing Member • Posts: 615

Take a look here, scroll to the bottom of the page.

http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/a99-in-my-hands_topic91886_page2.html

alphacam
alphacam Contributing Member • Posts: 949

^pix... drool

alphacam's gear list:alphacam's gear list
Sony Alpha a99 Adobe Photoshop CS6
Tandaina Contributing Member • Posts: 568

Nope.

Not interested in the a99, still very happy with my a900. No reason to change.
--
http://tandaina.smugmug.com/

Fraxinus excelsior Regular Member • Posts: 348

chopsteeks wrote:

Awaiting reviews of A99....but considering doing this...

Anyone else and why ?

I actually put my a900 up for sale last week. But then decided to pull it again for several reasons. 1. I would like more resolution like D800, 2. I cant get the price I want for my a900, 3. My a900 have not become a worse camera just because a new is announced. 4, my a900 still works and looks like new. And 5. The difference in IQ I have seen so far is not improoved very munch compared to a900. But the one thing that temps me about the a99 and the EVF is the ability to better use manual focus lenses. But nevertheless i guess its time for me to buy some Samyang lenses instead of a new camera.

P.s I am mostly a landscape photographer.

Faction0
Faction0 New Member • Posts: 11

Had an a850 for awhile but my company wanted video too so I switched back to a Canon 5d m2, now I've put my whole Canon system up for sale, L lenses and all for the a99.

Something few talk about is the uncompressed video out, paired with an HDMI recorder to SSD I can pull data no other DSLR and few video cameras under a few thousand dollars are capable of. I admit I'm massively disappointed that they weatherproofed the body while almost no lenses do the same. Agree that the focus area is too small, but it appears to be better than my 5dm2 (I still say the focus points appear to be designed for an APS-C sensor), feel the need to smack a Sony designer for not at LEAST offering contrast AF for manual video mode, seriously give us the focus firmware out of an nex-5n and I'll be happy, we know the camera can do it because it has face detect contrast AF for faces outside the central point cluster... this is a flagship so I hope for an update. If you didn't know, the video only allows auto exposure if you wish to use the AF, ridiculous for a camera that sells itself largely on video and AF abilities.

I know people in this forum will whine to me about saying this, but when I had the a850 nobody took me seriously (I work all day around other photogs, when they look down on you around clients it becomes a problem and rather than see my work or listen to WHY I was using it the other guys got more sets than me, I lost a lot of money). I already know most of the guys I work with take the a99 seriously, and working with constant lighting (mostly indoors) I really like the EVF. My 21mp 5dm2 was always more than enough resolution for our work (one guy already has a 1DX, the images are stunning, and even my old funtime x100 has done excellent 13x19 prints many times), so all I see is a modernization of the Sony lineup. Besides they weren't really competing in the traditional SLR field (they made excellent cameras, but I can't think of anyone I've ever worked with that switched and stayed), it takes something daring to topple the monopoly of what people perceive as professional, and in my job perception is the starting point, so Sony has given me a way to come back to them.

Pre-order placed with grip, 24-70 zeiss, 135mm zeiss, and will rent a few lenses once I get it to decide the rest. Also going to buy a used a850 for those really bright outdoor shoots I'd do better with an optical finder for stills.

Faction0's gear list:Faction0's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS-1Ds Canon EOS 5D Mark II +4 more
zoomo Regular Member • Posts: 201

No, not interested. Hanging on to both my A900's and the Zeiss lenses. Couldn't be happier.

I am looking forward to the Zeiss prime lenses for the NEX7 though. The EVF of the NEX7 is decent but I just love the OVF, the non nonsense controls and absence of gimmicks of the A900. So for me it is mainly A900 for a long time to come.

JasperD
JasperD Senior Member • Posts: 2,662

Wake me up when there will be an ILC RX1 type of camera. I might be interested, especially if it comes with a VF, X-Trans sensor and accepts A-mount lenses...

A99? Nope.

tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 36,266

jonikon wrote:

Once the novelty of using an EVF wears off, the joys of using a good optical viewfinder are being appreciated once again by real photographer. Sony should take notice and start making real DSLRs with OVFs again if they want to re-enter the full frame DSLR market in a serious way. The a99 just doesn't offer much for the money compared to the current FF competition and there is little doubt the poor sales figures for the a99 will prove this to be true.

• Jon

Why do you feel the need to be condescending by insinuating "real" photographers prefer OVFs? Such statements will cause me to take nothing you say seriously.

-- hide signature --
 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +9 more
aardvark7
aardvark7 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,110

I've ordered two and will decide what to keep out of my A900s and A850 for backup afterwards.

At the moment it looks like I would hang on to both A900 and sell the A850, together with my A55. These latter ones are both relatively new with few clicks, so will command a higher price. Also, I would feel happier passing on cameras that I feel will have longer lives in new hands; I'd hate to think of someone taking on one of the A900s only for t to fail soon after!

-- hide signature --

2012 : My new year's resolution -
To be decided...

Kriekira Senior Member • Posts: 2,227
Nope. But might sell the a77 for the a99 if the a99 price drops.

Much prefer the a900/a850 in almost all circumstances I encounter, but very glad to have Live View and an articulated LCD when I need them.

-- hide signature --

-- Kirby Krieger.

Kriekira's gear list:Kriekira's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX1R Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A77 +1 more
krmuir Regular Member • Posts: 150

No, I'm happy with the A900. I opted for a faster lens (f1.4) instead to improve the cameras low light ability. The A99 looks like a very worthy successor but I can't justify the upgrade when the A900 hasn't come close to failing me once in 3 years!

-- hide signature --

Kenny
www.kennymuir.com

tex Veteran Member • Posts: 7,419
not me! /nt
-- hide signature --

tex_andrews
"Photography is the product of complete alienation" Marcel Proust
"I would like to see photography make people despise painting until something else will make photography unbearable." Marcel Duchamp

tex's gear list:tex's gear list
Pentax 645Z Pentax K-1 Ricoh Theta V Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Pentax smc D-FA 50mm F2.8 Macro +25 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads