DA* SDM failures fixed on 2012 lenses and later

Started Sep 27, 2012 | Discussions
Infrabasse Regular Member • Posts: 342
DA* SDM failures fixed on 2012 lenses and later

There was an article on the other forum about a week ago
PTXF .com/news/jens-petersen-on-pentax-sdm-failure.html#page_4

A Pentax engineer explained the 16-50 and 50-135 components have been redesigned and models built in 2012 shouldn't be as prone to failure.

I did a quick search and couldn't find a thread about this.

A few questions are left pending.

• Have any other lenses' SDM been redesigned, such as the 17-70 ?

• Can older models have the fix implemented ?

• How can one know if he is buying a 2012 lens? What serial numbers should we be looking for ?

Infrabasse's gear list:Infrabasse's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-30 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +10 more
OP Infrabasse Regular Member • Posts: 342
Re: DA* SDM failures fixed on 2012 lenses and later
Canon PowerShot S95 Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-30 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +10 more
awaldram
awaldram Forum Pro • Posts: 13,271

As it wasn't an official comment but just the comments of a individual it cannot be considered factual any more than the 'announcements' previously reported and proved false.

All the comments people have made are more hopeful pipe-dreams than any real facts.

Pentax have NOT announced any update to SDM in any shape or manner.

So now you can answer all your questions N/A

Infrabasse wrote:

There was an article on the other forum about a week ago
PTXF .com/news/jens-petersen-on-pentax-sdm-failure.html#page_4

A Pentax engineer explained the 16-50 and 50-135 components have been redesigned and models built in 2012 shouldn't be as prone to failure.

I did a quick search and couldn't find a thread about this.

A few questions are left pending.

• Have any other lenses' SDM been redesigned, such as the 17-70 ?

• Can older models have the fix implemented ?

• How can one know if he is buying a 2012 lens? What serial numbers should we be looking for ?

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax Q Olympus PEN E-PM2 Pentax Q7 Pentax K-3 +17 more

This came directly from a named engineer @ Pentax though. It seems a lot better than an anonymous rumour.

awaldram

Infrabasse wrote:

This came directly from a named engineer @ Pentax though. It seems a lot better than an anonymous rumour.

If Pentax wanted to they could have acknowledged it , They didn't therefore it remains the view of an individual.

A known rumour if you will but no more factual than any other rumour.

I would also wonder why when PF had the ear of Pentax they didn't confirm the story.?

Also if it so true and easy to confirm why has no reputable news sources picked it up ?

Nope it has no basis in fact.

I see some with their own agenda have called it 'official' deliberately misleading to serve their own end game

il_alexk Senior Member • Posts: 2,837
Who to trust

Infrabasse wrote:

There was another Pentax engineer leaking that the issue was solved by with a stronger/updated AF motor somewhere around 2010. I want to trust them both, but obviously at least one of the engineers was lying (assuming both of them did exist).

Who should I trust?

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Alex

il_alexk's gear list:il_alexk's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Sony a7R III Fujifilm X-A5 Fujifilm X-T100 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +9 more
Russell Evans Forum Pro • Posts: 12,617
Re: Who to trust

il_alexk wrote:

There was another Pentax engineer leaking that the issue was solved by with a stronger/updated AF motor somewhere around 2010. I want to trust them both, but obviously at least one of the engineers was lying (assuming both of them did exist).

Do you have a link to that information?

Thank you
Russell

awaldram

Russell Evans wrote:

il_alexk wrote:

There are variations of 'its fixed' all over the web since 2008 till today

heres a starter for 10 from 2010 UK 'Pentax Engineer'

“I am glade to hear that the lens has arrived safely.On the SDM Motors problem, it is only the first production motors which may had the problem, the new batches , I have had no problems."

Then of cause the believers go for the "so glad to hear its fixed but what about my xxx lens."

Seems see something one the web and all common sense goes out the window

Thank you
Russell

awaldram wrote:

Russell Evans wrote:

il_alexk wrote:

“I am glade to hear that the lens has arrived safely.On the SDM Motors problem, it is only the first production motors which may had the problem, the new batches , I have had no problems."

Then of cause the believers go for the "so glad to hear its fixed but what about my xxx lens."

Can you provide a link to your quote, please?

Thank you
Russell

awaldram

Russell Evans wrote:

awaldram wrote:

Russell Evans wrote:

il_alexk wrote:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1036&message=37262005&changemode=1

Thank you
Russell

awaldram

recognize questions like this from the poor saps fooled by "pentax officially state SDM fix" type comments

Thanks for the information. Do you know when the motors were modified? Is there any way of knowing if a lens belongs to the first batches?

Unfortunately this is again from 2010

awaldram wrote:

Russell Evans wrote:

awaldram wrote:

Russell Evans wrote:

il_alexk wrote:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1036&message=37262005&changemode=1

That's not actually from a Pentax engineer. It's from a camera repair company employee that doesn't have any affiliation with Pentax.

Thank you
Russell

Instead of lies maybe this is all truth ...

2010 - A different motor which may have improved reliability somewhat
2012 - A more in depth redesign of the SDM components

-- hide signature --

edit: Seeing Russell's findings that the 2010 statement didn't come from someone at Pentax, maybe 2010 was just lies indeed ...

awaldram

Russell Evans wrote:

That's not actually from a Pentax engineer. It's from a camera repair company employee that doesn't have any affiliation with Pentax.

Ah foolish me so pentax engineers contracted by http://www.asahiphoto.co.uk/ are wrong whereas a Pentax engineer contracted (who was it again as Pentax contract out all repairs )

From the German Pentax page

" Maintenance and repairs are carried out according to the strict standards of Asahi Optical, Tokyo by specially trained technicians using genuine parts from Pentax."

and from Asahi Photo

"We at Asahi Photo pride ourselves at being the best technicians around for repairing Pentax cameras and optics in the U.K. "

So just what make PF's "He seemed to know a lot about the hardware found in Pentax len's" suddenly the official truth ??

http://www_pentaxforums_com/news/jens-petersen-on-pentax-sdm-failure.html

Come on read what they say and tell me you think it holds water !!!

Thank you
Russell

awaldram

Infrabasse wrote:

Maybe it is maybe it isn't and maybe all SDM faults are the owner mishandling.

Any way you look at SDM is no further down the line than 2007 when released, those who don;t care (me) will continue to purchase and enjoy them. Those who are afraid of shadows will not.

Neither will alter the reliability or otherwise of the lens.

edit: Seeing Russell's findings that the 2010 statement didn't come from someone at Pentax, maybe 2010 was just lies indeed ...

But the contracted 2012 engineer tells the truth my clutching at straws me thinks.

Tell me what is the difference between them because I see nothing that make the PF bumped into engineer as 'coming form Pentax'

Traditionally at trade shows interns and students are used , It is not where you would generally find an engineer.

Pentax_Prime
Pentax_Prime Senior Member • Posts: 2,505
Give it up ...

You clearly will believe anything you read on the internet. "Jens Petersen" is about as official as the tooth fairy. You fell for PForum's usual junk journalism ... "repeat it and lie about it until it sounds like the truth!"

Infrabasse wrote:

-- hide signature --

My Pentax Street Gallery - Arranged By Lens Used
http://photobucket.com/andy_allen

Pentax_Prime's gear list:Pentax_Prime's gear list
Pentax K-5

Maybe kikivrany can tell us more about this Jens Petersen ?

Re: Give it up ...

If it wasn't the tooth fairy then who placed all these coins under my pillow? A human? You seriously think I'm gonna believe that ?
Impossibru!

awaldram

Russell Evans wrote:

Germany's Pentax repair center

http://www.fotomaerz.de/

Oh look he can't be a Pentax Engineer either.!

Yep just a little research and Jens H. Petersen works for the above third party repairers in Hamburg so has no more knowledge than the 2010 Engineer.

As I have intimated theres one born every minute but why do they have to run web sites

Thank you
Russell

britcam
britcam Senior Member • Posts: 2,476

I am getting a 16-50 tomorrow from a seller in Paris who works for Pentax. Obviously he can't give anything away, but before deciding to sell he took the lens into the Pentax Tech Dept and they did the necessary modifications on the SDM avoid any future issues.

Oui les marques comunique rarement s'il ya des modifications il le fond sans en parler moi ce eux meme qui mon dit de le leur ramené mon optique pour qu'il fasse le necessaire et puis voila

Therefore the "fix" does exist, and I would think its a very safe bet to buy new knowing that the SDM issue is sorted. For buyers of S/H SDM lenses, for peace of mind, a trip to Pentax for an update would seem to be the best course of action.

Hope that helps ...

-- hide signature --

britcam

britcam's gear list:britcam's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon Coolpix 5000 Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Digital IV Olympus E-330 +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads