My C3 at Home Studio

Started Sep 27, 2012 | Discussions
fabianbono
fabianbono Regular Member • Posts: 190
My C3 at Home Studio

Hi all, I just like to share with you a few shots of the production I made at home last weekend, on my new "home studio".

I use my C3 + SEL55-210, and one YN560 in the 80x80 Softbox, plus two other flashes to paint the white back seamless.

I specially like the last one.

fabianbono's gear list:fabianbono's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +8 more
Nell27
Nell27 Senior Member • Posts: 2,708
Re: My C3 at Home Studio

I think you did a great job.

fabianbono
OP fabianbono Regular Member • Posts: 190
Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +8 more
dzajba Regular Member • Posts: 180

very, very nice, but I feel it would have come out even better had you used a (legacy) prime. Anyway, the light is great and the girl is lovely. Cheers

jonous_0
jonous_0 Regular Member • Posts: 138

Great pics, cute little girl. Very nice!
--

Zenit 12 / Sigma SA-300 / Sigma SA-5 / Olympus C770UZ / Canon PowerShot A720 IS / Sony NEX-5 / Sony NEX-5N

jonous_0's gear list:jonous_0's gear list
Olympus C-770 UZ Sony SLT-A57 Samsung NX500 Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM Samsung 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 power zoom
PDine Contributing Member • Posts: 579

I like your shots. Great job considering that the Nex-C3 is not the ideal Strobist's camera! They are not a million miles away from the kind of thing I would like to have a go at doing using my own C3.

In my case, I have SYK5 trigger, some modified YongNuo 603's and a pair of old Canon 430EZ's. I've managed to get the Canon 430ez's to wirelessly sync correctly from my C3's screw on flash unit. I don't have a softbox, but I do have an umbrella-box and a shoot-through umbrella as well.

I was wondering what kind of seamless background you are using there, as I noticed some slight ripples in the upper corners, but the floor looks immaculate and slightly shiny. Are they 2 separate materials? I presume the coloured background is done with Rosco gels or something similar?

Also, You say you are using 3 flashes (1 in the softbox as a key light, 2 on the background). Your key light is above and left, but the right side still looks like there is a degree of fill on it. Is this ambient light?

I would love to see a shot taken from further back at a wider angle, so I can see how you placed your lights. A lot of online tutorials have lighting diagrams on them, but it's often hard to envisage what the distances are between the lights/subject/background.

Any tips you can pass on would be greatly appreciated.

fabianbono

I was waiting that question...!!!

I build the small studio in my dinning room.
I use a white bed sheet hanging from wall with a pipe to roll it.

And use at floor a piece of wood MDF type 3,5mm with white vinyl on it, I found it at a place like Home Depot.

This is the "backstage"
I mark where the flashes are.

Since Im still waiting to arrive some light stands, I improvise ones to set my lights.

Yes...too much DIY....but is what I can do with limited resources!

exm3racer Regular Member • Posts: 207

The last one is fabulous! A real keeper!

PDine Contributing Member • Posts: 579

Thanks for taking the time to post this. A good use of your available space. Im wondering if there is a more compact equivalent to the flooring. I need everything of mine to fold down and place away in a cupboard.

fabianbono

PDine wrote:

Thanks for taking the time to post this. A good use of your available space. Im wondering if there is a more compact equivalent to the flooring. I need everything of mine to fold down and place away in a cupboard.

That wood piece is the full board, that for sure you can cut in small parts.
Then, you can lay on the floor the pieces together.

After take the picture, if you have a slim line in the photo from the pieces joint, you can easily remove in photosop with the Clone/Stamp tool.
I do the same to smooth the union between the bed sheet and the wood floor.

It is a matter of seconds of PP, but you save a lot of time and money on the studio preparation.

I took the idea of this woods from Zack Arias Studio Lighting workshop, that I highly recommend.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads