A match made in heaven. D600 & Nikon 85mm 1.8g Locked

Started Sep 27, 2012 | Discussions
This thread is locked.
NeilJones
OP NeilJones Veteran Member • Posts: 5,455
Re: Could you get a similar result with a 50mm 1.4?

Rjansenbr2 wrote:

I don´t have a full frame and I am trying to understand how far it can go in terms of DOF.

With a 50mm lens on the same camera would the result be too different?

I'm sure the 50mm would do just as good of a job.

-- hide signature --

Shoot like it's your last day..

Shaun_Nyc
Shaun_Nyc Senior Member • Posts: 2,279
Re: Neiljones

FTH wrote:

you are posting lots of photos on this forum, we don't mind,

I bet Neil is relieved, he has been on dpr for 8 yrs ?

Facts are that all the photos you posted here since you got the D600 are overcooked, especially the wedding shots which are awfully over sharpened and skins look like almond paste due to the heavy noise reduction filters used. Some people may not notice the difference (you for example) but you would not be able to sell this to any pro studio or distributor. Sorry, but put some glasses on and try again !

So , if you feel that way whats the crime ? He is still posting pictures people want to see ? Whats w the hostility for that ?

Shaun_Nyc's gear list:Shaun_Nyc's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Nikon D50 Nikon D3 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +10 more
Apollo18
Apollo18 Senior Member • Posts: 1,317
Re: A match made in heaven. D600 & Nikon 85mm 1.8g

A lovely shot. I can't really agre with some of the comments above, to my taste the processing looks good, not overdone at all.

I bought the 85mm 1.8g also recently, but have not had any real opportunity to put it to use yet on my D800. Looking forward to it!

Apollo18's gear list:Apollo18's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED +3 more
Deleted-pending Senior Member • Posts: 2,665

Shaun_Nyc wrote:

FTH wrote:

So this means he climbed up the social ladder on this forum, became part of the little virtual family and is not able to cope with simple critics. Interesting.

Facts are that all the photos you posted here since you got the D600 are overcooked, especially the wedding shots which are awfully over sharpened and skins look like almond paste due to the heavy noise reduction filters used. Some people may not notice the difference (you for example) but you would not be able to sell this to any pro studio or distributor. Sorry, but put some glasses on and try again !

So , if you feel that way whats the crime ? He is still posting pictures people want to see ? Whats w the hostility for that ?

Playing the drama Queen card now ! The only one who started an "hostile" conversation was the one not able to take a single critic = the author.

You guys never ever went to art schools did you ? Coping with critic forges you for a professional art carrier, if you want to play the artist then you need to cope with other artists critics.

susrutac Regular Member • Posts: 128
Re: Ok, less contrast and sharpening on this ver.

This version really appeals to me even though I liked the other one as well. I do not often post messages on DPR but I felt compelled to support your work

By the way, I do not have a gallery on DPR but I make my living as a portrait photographer....

susrutac's gear list:susrutac's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon D4S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +15 more
BlueScoobyDoo Regular Member • Posts: 370

The internet is a wonderful place for people to hide behind their computers and trash others. Do these people really treat people with such disrespect in person. I bet you they don’t have the nerve to.

It’s a nice photo. It captures the moment. Isn’t that what photography is supposed to be about?

NeilJones

Shaun_Nyc wrote:

FTH wrote:

Actually, I've been posting here since 2000.

-- hide signature --

NeilJones

susrutac wrote:

This version really appeals to me even though I liked the other one as well. I do not often post messages on DPR but I felt compelled to support your work

That's very kind. Thank you.

By the way, I do not have a gallery on DPR but I make my living as a portrait photographer....

-- hide signature --

djrocks66
djrocks66 Senior Member • Posts: 1,252

Wonderful shot. The eyes are amazing. I love how you processed it. Thanks for sharing!
--

djrocks66's gear list:djrocks66's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +13 more
DANdeMAN
DANdeMAN Senior Member • Posts: 1,001

FTH wrote:

You guys never ever went to art schools did you ?...

Thanks for the laugh...
--

D800E "The Monster" (07-2012) - SONY V3 (03-2005)

DANdeMAN's gear list:DANdeMAN's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +10 more
taprackbang Forum Member • Posts: 55
I don't think anyone's asking for

praise for every shot. There are tactful and polite methods of offering critiques, and then there's the douche method.

Kevin obviously chooses the latter, and gets the flak he deserves for it.

effstawp New Member • Posts: 17
Re: I don't think anyone's asking for

Love the shot, broheim. 85mm is such a great sweet spot in focal distance.

Now should be a good time to observe and calibrate your picture control setttings to avoid the slight shift in hue. Hope you dont mind me adjusting the channels a bit on the original.

effstawp's gear list:effstawp's gear list
Nikon D610
ovrebekk
ovrebekk Veteran Member • Posts: 4,315
You should try the 24mm f1.4!

Hi Neil, great shot!

I don't have the 85mm 1.8, but I just got the D600 and the Nikon 24mm f1.4 which I can assure you is another match made in heaven. The relatively small size of the D600, combined with the great IQ and good primes is brilliant

NeilJones
Re: You should try the 24mm f1.4!

ovrebekk wrote:

Hi Neil, great shot!

I don't have the 85mm 1.8, but I just got the D600 and the Nikon 24mm f1.4 which I can assure you is another match made in heaven. The relatively small size of the D600, combined with the great IQ and good primes is brilliant

Please don't make me spend anymore money right now!

-- hide signature --

Newbs Regular Member • Posts: 118

amazing image i really like it, I cant wait to try my d600 out properly, like always i was too eager to purchase my shinny thing and Lightroom can't read the raw files yet, but what I have viewed in View NX is very impressive.

trueview Regular Member • Posts: 180

Beautiful shot, strong composition. But I'm with rhlpetrus: it seems to me that the rendition is a bit overdone, which is often the case with out of camera jpegs. Of course problem solved with raw files.

NewBS : may I suggest Adobe DNG Converter ? I have the same issue as current buyers of the D600. being stuck with LR3, because my current computer is 32bits, I can't import my 5DIII files. I use DNG converter for the time being and work from DNG files. A bit cumbersome, but at least I can shoot raw and use LR. I would suspect that this can be done with D600 files. At least you should give it a try.

QuicksilverCA Contributing Member • Posts: 543

Excellent looks good

Pravin Forum Member • Posts: 97

Very nice shot. This lens is good on any camera. Thanks for sharing.

Pravin's gear list:Pravin's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II Tamron SP AF 180mm F/3.5 Di LD (IF) Macro +13 more
Tee1up Regular Member • Posts: 460
Re: I don't think anyone's asking for

Well said. We all want constructive criticism but snipers are of no value.

taprackbang wrote:

praise for every shot. There are tactful and polite methods of offering critiques, and then there's the douche method.

Kevin obviously chooses the latter, and gets the flak he deserves for it.

Kappels Contributing Member • Posts: 796
 Kappels's gear list:Kappels's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha a99 +21 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads