Manufacturing changes D800 ??

Started Sep 26, 2012 | Discussions
goosel
goosel Senior Member • Posts: 1,866
Manufacturing changes D800 ??

Just got the second D800.

I had a very early D800 that was taken back by Nikon because the AF Issue wasn't repairable. I decided to wait before getting another to be sure of getting a 'good' one. This evening my dealer had one for me. Initial test shots indicate that the AF is good. Will do a more thorough test tomorrow.

What i have noticed (or am imagining). Definitely a newer production model. Plastics of the body have changed and feel cheaper. Viewfinder Prism assembly seem different while looking through the viewfinder. When my eye is just a bit off center the info display on the bottom gets cut off as if something is in the way. Sub-Command dial has a cheap clicking feel to it. Main command dial has the good old nikon solid feel.

Anyone notice anything similar?

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
dave steinberg Regular Member • Posts: 312
Re: Manufacturing changes D800 ??

My first D80o from a couple of months ago had an optically blurry viewfinder and bad left focus point.

My second from 2 weeks has a bad right focus point. THe viewfinder is better, but you must look thru the center, otherwise the image distorts.

lock Veteran Member • Posts: 6,202
Smells like a D800s is coming...

Too much issues involved in this model.

Btw, the green cast of the LCD is still reported in the latest D800 batches, although the weird thing is that not every cam is equally affected. But the D600 is also reported to have it, so no big surprise here. I do not have a clue if the left AF affair survived...

Phobos 790 Contributing Member • Posts: 626

Someone mentioned that Thom said that they moved D800 production (some, all, ?) to Thailand as opposed to Japan because of the tsunami. Unfortunate for us as cameras from Japan have a much better track record as opposed to the Thailand cameras.

Disconcerting as my wait to get a D800, to let them get all the niggles out, is almost over.

But in the large scale of things, sometimes the things us westerners worry about compared to real world problems are so terribly minor...

brosenz Senior Member • Posts: 1,004

What are the first 4 digits of the S/N ?, thanks

goosel wrote:

Just got the second D800.

I had a very early D800 that was taken back by Nikon because the AF Issue wasn't repairable. I decided to wait before getting another to be sure of getting a 'good' one. This evening my dealer had one for me. Initial test shots indicate that the AF is good. Will do a more thorough test tomorrow.

What i have noticed (or am imagining). Definitely a newer production model. Plastics of the body have changed and feel cheaper. Viewfinder Prism assembly seem different while looking through the viewfinder. When my eye is just a bit off center the info display on the bottom gets cut off as if something is in the way. Sub-Command dial has a cheap clicking feel to it. Main command dial has the good old nikon solid feel.

-- hide signature --

Bernard

Astrophotographer 10 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,027
Re: Smells like a D800s is coming...

Nikon have done an incredible job of putting out some great cameras. But the devil is in the detail and there have been some terrible mishandlings.

The green cast LCD, the bad AF points, the freeze ups on some cameras have put a taint on buying a new Nikon. Now it seems prudent to only buy where you can return quickly. It would be prudent to check the camera in the store before accepting it (in Australia this is not so easy as the boxes are sealed with a sticker and dealers may not allow you to do that).

So it becomes a lottery if you get a good one or not. Nikon needs to restore confidence in its products and QC which after all is what the Japanese economy is built on - fabulous QC and high quality reliable products.

My D800E is flawless as far as I know. But then I was concerned when I picked it up if I was getting a bad one or not.

Greg.

Astrophotographer 10's gear list:Astrophotographer 10's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony Alpha a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 +1 more
golf1982 Contributing Member • Posts: 744

Phobos 790 wrote:

Someone mentioned that Thom said that they moved D800 production (some, all, ?) to Thailand as opposed to Japan because of the tsunami. Unfortunate for us as cameras from Japan have a much better track record as opposed to the Thailand cameras.

1) all d800's are currently made in Japan

2) I am unaware of any difference in assembally quality between the plants only that the higher end models made in Japan are higher quality by design.

Phobos 790 Contributing Member • Posts: 626

golf1982 wrote:

Phobos 790 wrote:

1) all d800's are currently made in Japan

2) I am unaware of any difference in assembally quality between the plants only that the higher end models made in Japan are higher quality by design.

1) I hope you're right. I was only referencing this which someone linked to recently:

http://www.bythom.com/d800intro.htm

"By moving D800 production to Thailand Nikon thought they'd be able to finally get past their reputation for slowish deliveries on new products, too."

But I think that's from February so...

2) This is from Brad Hill's blog ( http://www.naturalart.ca ) and he has a lot experience in field conditions with a history of Nikons:

"At the risk of sounding like a closet racist (or - heaven forbid - not quite politically correct), to date I have not found a single non-Japanese built Nikon camera to be robust enough to meet my needs. ALL the "single-digit D's" (so D1 through D4) were built in Japan and were amazingly robust and durable cameras. The D700 and D800 are also Japanese cameras and have great build quality (tho' one must acknowledge the quality control issues that seem to be plaguing the D800 - mine has been absolutely fine). The D300/300s and D7000 were built in Thailand. While I treat my cameras carefully, they are tools, not jewels. And, both my D300 and my D7000 failed at critical times under tough field conditions. The D600 is also built in Thailand. Hmmm..."

I'd like a D800 from Japan, Hai.

goosel
OP goosel Senior Member • Posts: 1,866
Mine say made In Japan

so did the first.

goosel
OP goosel Senior Member • Posts: 1,866

pluton Veteran Member • Posts: 3,095

The D800 I recently owned for a day(before I sent it back as " item did not meet my expectations") had a shockingly blurry/flare prone finder. I assumed they were all like that. That's bad quality control.
--
-KB-

pluton's gear list:pluton's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2S Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 50mm F2 +2 more
alan54g Regular Member • Posts: 469

In all fairness. If a camera is made in Thailand. It is not their fault if that camera comes across as looking cheat. It is still up to Nikon to make sure that the camera meets QC specs. If a camera has a cheap looking plastic camera body who's fault is that? It is still Japan at fault.

alan54g's gear list:alan54g's gear list
Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II
inasir1971
inasir1971 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,625

Phobos 790 wrote:

I'd like a D800 from Japan, Hai.

It is precisely because it was made in Japan that the problems arose.

The D800 was intended for production in Thailand - with the ever appreciating Yen/USD there is no way to produce in Japan and sell at prices people want. It has gone from 110-120 JPY/USD in 2007/8 to 78 today. If you want Japanese production, you would need to pay 40-50% over what you had to in 2007/8 + inflation.

The flooding in Thailand 2010 damaged factories and caused production of the D800 to be shifted to Japan at the last minute. I am sure if the disruption hadn't occurred, we wouldn't have had this whole issue.

inasir1971's gear list:inasir1971's gear list
Sony RX1R II Nikon D4 Nikon D850
orchidblooms
orchidblooms Senior Member • Posts: 1,267
Re: Smells like a D800s is coming...

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

My D800E is flawless as far as I know. But then I was concerned when I picked it up if I was getting a bad one or not.

Greg.

my e seems ok as well us sn low 600's

Clark Hampton
Clark Hampton Senior Member • Posts: 2,856

It's your imagination...I have not seen any difference...or would be surprised if they actually did change materials.

36.2 megapixels for US$3,000. That about sums it up.

Clark Hampton's gear list:Clark Hampton's gear list
Nikon D100 Nikon D200 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC +4 more
golf1982 Contributing Member • Posts: 744

I still see no evidence of any manufacturing advantage of Japan over Thailand. There is no reason why it should be better at one than another. The d300 for example is a top quality product, I am unaware of significant issues??

Ralf Ronander
Ralf Ronander Contributing Member • Posts: 796

From a build quality POW there is absolutely NOTHING about my D800 that is better than my D300.

phototrope Contributing Member • Posts: 669
No...

I have one of the early D800s and a later D800E. No change in any materials used. Optical viewfinder looks the same. The green cast I initially reported in my first D800 doesn't seem to be there any more.

Honestly, I feel for all these people with D800/E problems. But on the other hand, I have to say that I don't know what all the fuss is about. I only post here to try and redress the balance so that this camera doesn't go down in internet history as a lemon. It is, imho, one of the greatest cameras ever built.

-- hide signature --

"The job of the photographer is not to record indisputable fact but to try to be coherent about intuition and hope."
-- Robert Adams

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,305

Phobos 790 wrote:

Disconcerting as my wait to get a D800, to let them get all the niggles out, is almost over.

But in the large scale of things, sometimes the things us westerners worry about compared to real world problems are so terribly minor...

Read it again. I'm pretty sure he was talking about the D600.
--
Roy

str8pipe
str8pipe Regular Member • Posts: 326

goosel wrote:

When my eye is just a bit off center the info display on the bottom gets cut off as if something is in the way.

I also noticed this when I tried the D800 in store. I had to constantly re-position my eye to the viewfinder so the information wouldn't get cut-off at the bottom.

str8pipe's gear list:str8pipe's gear list
Nikon D5200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Canon PowerShot SD1100 IS Canon PowerShot SD1300 IS +30 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads