A new iMac for the wife. Which one.

Started Sep 25, 2012 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
pricklypear Regular Member • Posts: 113
A new iMac for the wife. Which one.

My wife wants an iMac. I got 21.5" myself a few months ago and now she wants one. Actually, she needs one as her PC went kaputt.

I was thinking about giving her mine and getting the 27" for myself.

Questions:

  • Any reliable info on when Apple might release a new iMac?

  • Aside from the size difference, is there any performance difference in the screen/IQ?

Thanks.

Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 10,340
Re: A new iMac for the wife. Which one.

pricklypear wrote:

  • Any reliable info on when Apple might release a new iMac?

No, but it's reasonable to assume "before the end of the year". I'm thinking that because they missed "at the same time as the MacBooks" and "the start of the school year", maybe the timing is now "before Black Friday".

  • Aside from the size difference, is there any performance difference in the screen/IQ?

I think the 27" models are a bit faster, but the 21.5" models are closer than they used to be. Also, the 27" models have a second Thunderbolt port.

pricklypear OP Regular Member • Posts: 113
Re: A new iMac for the wife. Which one.

Tom_N wrote:

pricklypear wrote:

  • Any reliable info on when Apple might release a new iMac?

No, but it's reasonable to assume "before the end of the year". I'm thinking that because they missed "at the same time as the MacBooks" and "the start of the school year", maybe the timing is now "before Black Friday".

  • Aside from the size difference, is there any performance difference in the screen/IQ?

I think the 27" models are a bit faster, but the 21.5" models are closer than they used to be. Also, the 27" models have a second Thunderbolt port.

Thanks. Faster as in the screen refresh rate?

I need one very soon. Wondering if differences will be substantial. Loving the one I have. Maybe there's not enough good reason to wait?

Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 10,340
Re: A new iMac for the wife. Which one.

pricklypear wrote:

Thanks. Faster as in the screen refresh rate?

No. Faster as in faster CPUs, maybe faster GPUs with more VRAM. Just take a look on Apple's site at the differences between the current iMacs, and you'll see what I mean.

I need one very soon. Wondering if differences will be substantial. Loving the one I have. Maybe there's not enough good reason to wait?

Best guess is that the new ones will have Ivy Bridge CPUs and USB 3.0.

pricklypear OP Regular Member • Posts: 113
Re: A new iMac for the wife. Which one.

Tom_N wrote:

pricklypear wrote:

Thanks. Faster as in the screen refresh rate?

No. Faster as in faster CPUs, maybe faster GPUs with more VRAM. Just take a look on Apple's site at the differences between the current iMacs, and you'll see what I mean.

I need one very soon. Wondering if differences will be substantial. Loving the one I have. Maybe there's not enough good reason to wait?

Best guess is that the new ones will have Ivy Bridge CPUs and USB 3.0.

I looked up Ivy Bridge and it's 5-15% faster, but has higher temperatures when the CPU is overclocked. Not sure what overclocked is?

Doug R Senior Member • Posts: 1,471
Re: A new iMac for the wife. Which one.

Not to worry you can't do it on a mac. But over clocking is running a processor faster then it was sold at my hackintosh runs at 4.4 instead of 3.5 GHz for example.
--
Doug

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 5,593
Re: A new iMac for the wife. Which one.

pricklyp geear wrote:

My wife wants an iMac. I got 21.5" myself a few months ago and now she wants one. Actually, she needs one as her PC went kaputt.

I was thinking about giving her mine and getting the 27" for myself.

Questions:

  • Any reliable info on when Apple might release a new iMac?

  • Aside from the size difference, is there any performance difference in the screen/IQ?

Thanks.

Why not ask her which one she wants? A hand me down for the wife? My friend, just buy her what she wants.

You may want to hold off because apparently inventories for iMacs are getting low which hints at new iMacs coming soon and likely to be introduced with a 7" iPad.

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 5,593
Re: A new iMac for the wife. Which one.

pricklypear wrote:

Tom_N wrote:

pricklypear wrote:

  • Any reliable info on when Apple might release a new iMac?

No, but it's reasonable to assume "before the end of the year". I'm thinking that because they missed "at the same time as the MacBooks" and "the start of the school year", maybe the timing is now "before Black Friday".

  • Aside from the size difference, is there any performance difference in the screen/IQ?

I think the 27" models are a bit faster, but the 21.5" models are closer than they used to be. Also, the 27" models have a second Thunderbolt port.

Thanks. Faster as in the screen refresh rate?

I need one very soon. Wondering if differences will be substantial. Loving the one I have. Maybe there's not enough good reason to wait?

It is sure to have USB 3 and faster processors, likely a thinner case, likely no more optical drive and maybe a higher resolution display.

graybalanced Veteran Member • Posts: 4,899
Re: A new iMac for the wife. Which one.

pricklypear wrote:

My wife wants an iMac. I got 21.5" myself a few months ago and now she wants one. Actually, she needs one as her PC went kaputt.

  • Any reliable info on when Apple might release a new iMac?

Mac Buyer's Guide can be helpful. It measures the time between releases of a Mac model, and uses that to predict how close to the end of a life cycle it is. Of course, this is only reliable if Apple sticks to very rigid intervals, which it does not for Macs.
http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iMac

golf4food Regular Member • Posts: 266
Re: A new iMac for the wife. Which one.

Get an SSD for sure! Get ram from Macsales.com. As far as which one, size is a personal thing, but SSD is a must!

Kevin

 golf4food's gear list:golf4food's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D750
Rickyscv New Member • Posts: 4
Re: A new iMac for the wife. Which one.

Wait a few more weeks and you'll get a better/faster/updated iMac for the same price you paid for yours...

Nikon1977 Contributing Member • Posts: 515
Re: A new iMac for the wife. Which one.

The last update was May, 2011. That was while ago.

quackagator Regular Member • Posts: 222
Re: A new iMac for the wife. Which one.

Get her a mac mini she will love it.

 quackagator's gear list:quackagator's gear list
Brother MFC-J220
Adore Noir
Adore Noir New Member • Posts: 6
Re: A new iMac for the wife. Which one.

Funny because I am going through the same thing. I recently got the 21.5" and was regretting not buying the 27". Now my wife says she loves my mac and wants one for herself. 27" here I come!

I'm not sure about a new iMac but when it is released you can be sure it will be a bit taller and thinner

Go for the 27"

Cheers,

Chris
adorenoir.com

Snodayz Regular Member • Posts: 120
Don't Buy Now If You Can Wait

If you can wait there should be an upgrade in the next month or two. Expect faster processors, significantly faster video cards (great if you/she uses it for photography), possibly higher screen resolution and quite possibly faster wi-fi. There's a good chance a SSD option will be available too. USB 3.0 and Apple's faster Thunderbolt should also be built in. It's 519 days since the iMac was refreshed, well over the average of 217 Days for this range.

 Snodayz's gear list:Snodayz's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
GuyCool Forum Member • Posts: 63
Re: A new iMac for the wife. Which one.

Dells come in pink and other colours. Maybe she'd be better off with one of those.
--
GuyCool

Stevejac Contributing Member • Posts: 892
Re: A new iMac for the wife. Which one.

I'm in the same boat. I'm using the earliest intel MacPro. Faster than lightning in 2006, it's a dog now. It's also a bit flaky. I don't need the big case and an iMac would be fine... but I don't want to buy a machine w/o usb3. I'm not confident that thunderbolt will survive.

I'm getting pretty itchy and wonder about a retina macbook pro and a monitor. I gather they're crazy fast and powerful, but that'd be a lot more $$$.

The predictions I've seen agree with the above in all but one aspect... a revision soon w/ ivybridge and usb3 but not with a Retina display. Apparently at 27" that's beyond the current hardware abilities.

We'll see. If my big box dies (and the video has been flaky), I'll be forced into the macbook.
--
Steve Jacobs

 Stevejac's gear list:Stevejac's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Olympus E-M1
pricklypear OP Regular Member • Posts: 113
Re: A new iMac for the wife. Which one.

We held out. Now when will this ultra-thin iMac become available in November? It looks great on paper. 8gb RAM...I believe this will suffice for LR4.3.

pricklypear wrote:

My wife wants an iMac. I got 21.5" myself a few months ago and now she wants one. Actually, she needs one as her PC went kaputt.

I was thinking about giving her mine and getting the 27" for myself.

Questions:

  • Any reliable info on when Apple might release a new iMac?

  • Aside from the size difference, is there any performance difference in the screen/IQ?

Thanks.

Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 10,340
Re: A new iMac for the wife. Which one.

pricklypear wrote:

We held out. Now when will this ultra-thin iMac become available in November? It looks great on paper. 8gb RAM...I believe this will suffice for LR4.3.

Your guess is as good as mine – but if you hold out until Black Friday, you may be able to save $101.  (For the past few years, the online Apple Store has offered $101 off the list price of iMacs ordered on that day.  I don't know what retail Apple Stores do then.)

forouza1 New Member • Posts: 6
Re: A new iMac for the wife. Which one.

Expect the 21" iMac out in the next week or so.  The 27" iMac which I would strongly recommend going for will be out probably early December.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads