Help buying D5100 (refurbished vs. brand new)

Started Sep 25, 2012 | Discussions
RocknPop Junior Member • Posts: 33
Help buying D5100 (refurbished vs. brand new)

Hi guys, I've decided on getting the D5100 but I can't decide between getting it brand new (amazon) or refurbished (from adorama or nikon). Since it's a $160 difference, I thought I would ask here.

What would be the biggest risk I am taking buying refurbished? Anyone here bought theirs refurb'd?

I believe that if something is refurbished by Nikon it's brought back to the same standards as a brand new one, and I'm thinking some might be returns that didn't have anything wrong with them? When else is something refurbished?

Nikon D5100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Buzzzman Veteran Member • Posts: 3,775
Re: Help buying D5100 (refurbished vs. brand new)

My experience is whenever I purchased a refurb itemf\ from the original vendor(Apple,Nikon) the items were like new and h ad the same warranty as if purchased new. From after market vendors, the items were obviously used( not actually refurbished),and had short warranties. (30-90 days.) From now on I will l will only purchase refurbs from the original vendor. I haven't purchased anything refurbished from Adorama,so I can't comment on their refurbs .
Buzz

OP RocknPop Junior Member • Posts: 33

Thanks, this is useful. Maybe that explains the $50 difference between refurb Nikon and Adorama.

Anyone else?

Patco Forum Pro • Posts: 13,646

RocknPop wrote:

Thanks, this is useful. Maybe that explains the $50 difference between refurb Nikon and Adorama.

Anyone else?

You would probably get more replies in the Nikon DSLR forum that covers the D5100, the "Nikon D90 - D40 / D7000 - D3000 Forum", than here in "Welcome to the Nikon Talk Forum, the place to discuss Nikon compact digital cameras".

-- hide signature --

Patco
A photograph is more than a bunch of pixels

OP RocknPop Junior Member • Posts: 33

Thanks, I will post there!

Patco wrote:

RocknPop wrote:

Anyone else?

You would probably get more replies in the Nikon DSLR forum that covers the D5100, the "Nikon D90 - D40 / D7000 - D3000 Forum", than here in "Welcome to the Nikon Talk Forum, the place to discuss Nikon compact digital cameras".

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads