In defence of SPP

Started Sep 25, 2012 | Discussions
Braud Michel Regular Member • Posts: 223
Re: In defence of SPP

Thanks to clarify these points. May be he didn't spent the necessary time to control this soft, may be he is spoiled by some habits on other softs....

Anyway your post is interesting.

JL Salvignol
JL Salvignol Senior Member • Posts: 1,626
Thom Hogan

Thom Hogan : Fujifilm is to be reprimanded for introducing a new sensor pattern into the market and not working closely with software developers prior to the launch (I'm not sure they're working all that closely after the launch, either). This is blatant disregard and disrespect for the serious photographers Fujifilm targets, in my opinion. We have an existing workflow. We don't want to be forced to change that workflow and our software mix to get good results from our raw files."

http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/fujifilm-raw.html

Fujifilm, Sigma ... it is the same and this is unacceptable. What a pity!

And let all be clear: this is not the problem of SPP, it's that of Fujifilm and Sigma who are selling cameras that require a workflow that we don't want!
--
JLS

JL Salvignol's gear list:JL Salvignol's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Nikon Coolpix A Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J1 Pentax K-01 +16 more
Lin Evans
Lin Evans Forum Pro • Posts: 17,387
Who is...

"We" ?? You can only speak for yourself....

Lin
--
learntomakeslidshows.net

Lin Evans's gear list:Lin Evans's gear list
Olympus E-10
richard stone Senior Member • Posts: 2,595
Re: Who is...

Lin

It is of course, a use of the Royal "We."

You should recall that "professionals" are the focus of all these cameras..

Note: "SA" (Satire Alert).

I think M.R. is having the same issue. Not that I don't greatly appreciate his view on the DP2M etc. But of course when you change a huge part of the image process/system, of course a few other things are going to have to be changed too, in this case the workflow.

SPP needs to be made better, and I am sure Sigma knows this. From my perspective the idea that "0" NR actually includes some NR (for example) is simply misguided. On the other hand, "auto" needs to be available....

Richard

Lin Evans wrote:

Lin
--
learntomakeslidshows.net

-- hide signature --
 richard stone's gear list:richard stone's gear list
Sigma SD10 Sigma sd Quattro Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM Art
Lin Evans

Hi Richard,

Yes, obviously some things need improvement in my opinion too, but photographers who are in the "limelight" such as Thom need to understand that "every photographer" - professional or otherwise, doesn't have the same workflow. Some are wild about Lightroom. Personally, I can take it or leave it. Some think Adobe's ARC is the cat's meow. Well, sometimes I find it's very good and at other times I far prefer DX0 Optics Pro myself. SPP with its share of "warts" is still the best way to convert and deal with Foveon files. Some versions are better than others and there are always compromises.

The bottom line is that no one is forcing Thom to use Fuji. If he likes it enough to use it, then he needs to accept that Fuji, like Sigma, probably has a very good reason for not yet being compatible with his beloved workflow. Thom is primarily a Nikon guy and I don't hear him pinging on Nikon because there are and have been proprietary RAW implementations which are not commonly compatible with more mainstream software. Most Nikon folks end up with Capture NX2 which lets them avail themselves of some features not commonly found in more mainstream conversion and image manipulation software compatible with Nikon.

There is always the option of not accepting and using the camera if one doesn't like the workflow. Nobody is twisting his arm or the arm of anyone for that matter. One rarely hears anyone complaining because they have to use specialized software for Betterlight scanning backs or other high resolution medium format cameras - just lots of "chatter" about what is "wrong" with SPP, etc. So my suggestion would be to tell Sigma if there is something which we believe could be improved - I do. Eventually they will "fix" it. Maybe not as fast a many of us would like, but that's all part of the challenge of being a photographer in today's fast-paced, technology driven world I guess.

Best regards,

Lin

richard stone wrote:
Lin

It is of course, a use of the Royal "We."

You should recall that "professionals" are the focus of all these cameras..

Note: "SA" (Satire Alert).

I think M.R. is having the same issue. Not that I don't greatly appreciate his view on the DP2M etc. But of course when you change a huge part of the image process/system, of course a few other things are going to have to be changed too, in this case the workflow.

SPP needs to be made better, and I am sure Sigma knows this. From my perspective the idea that "0" NR actually includes some NR (for example) is simply misguided. On the other hand, "auto" needs to be available....

Richard

Lin Evans wrote:

Lin
--
learntomakeslidshows.net

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

learntomakeslidshows.net

Olympus E-10
cquarksnow Contributing Member • Posts: 523

If someone's workflow tries to go with the least possible conversions from raw to 12bpc display (with less than 2 DeltaE) @ 4704 x 3136 resolution, what's the best way to achieve that ?

I have seen in a thread that SPP 5.3.2 only displays the raw image in 8bpc, so it's not even a tool that can be used to display images, and the 16-bit tiff "cooking" might not be optimal, even though Ronkonkoma support told me in August that there should be no artifact.

Would it be an issue for Adobe if Microsoft releases a WIC-enabled codec for the Merrill sensors to monopolize the audience ?

Chris

cquarksnow's gear list:cquarksnow's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma SD10 +4 more
maple Veteran Member • Posts: 3,205
Simple solution - one click integration with more popular image editors

I’m rather happy with SPP. It is easier to use than the RAW converters from Olympus, Canon and Sony. But then I have used SPP extensively but the others only briefly.

One thing that SPP could learn from others is the direct export (connection) to another image editing program of user's own choice. What it does is, should you so desire, to allow you right within SPP click open the current image in another image editing programme of your own choice and continue with further editing of the just converted image there. This integrates SPP seamlessly with the follow-up editing programme as if they were merely two steps of one single program. Better still if SPP could change face to look like the other photo editing programme.

Alternatively, Sigma could work together with the more popular image editor companies to integrate SPP to the others’ programs as an add-on.

-- hide signature --

Maple

stanislaw stitchanow Senior Member • Posts: 1,956
SPP only is a dealbreaker for me

and one of the major reasons I do not buy an SD1 or DPxM.

-- hide signature --

This review is from: Nikon F6 Professional SLR 35mm Film Camera Body (Electronics)

Camera will not work with CompactFlash or other digital media cards. You must buy a cartridge of tape, which allows for just 24 shots. No LCD screen for image playback. Extremely frustrated and returned item.

rainbyrd Forum Member • Posts: 94

Lin Evans wrote:

Lin
--

No Lin,

WE, we as professionals, get it?
ACR/LR is the defacto standard.
If You continue to sit in your corner, do so, but You will be left alone.

JL Salvignol
JL Salvignol Senior Member • Posts: 1,626

we = Absolutely not a plural of majesty. But only all those who are really attracted by this cameras and are deterred by that absurd constraint and don't understand the position of Sigma, resulting in the loss of several potential customers.
--
JLS

JL Salvignol's gear list:JL Salvignol's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Nikon Coolpix A Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J1 Pentax K-01 +16 more
Rawmeister Regular Member • Posts: 277
Re: SPP only is a dealbreaker for me

The SD1m is fine cept for write times are stupid, the lenses don't support the sensor resolution (centering issues galore), and the software is absolute trash.
I know because I made the 4,000 dollar mistake already.
The other manufacturers are just as lazy offering value for dollar lately.
I will stop buying gear untill the manufacturers stop trying to bilk us.
I don't care, Tsunami or no Tsunami, I'm not paying for it.

Lin Evans

All "professionals" do not share your view.... I've used ARC, Lightroom, DX0 OpticsPro, Capture NX2, SPP, DCS Photo Desk, and several other packages over the years since I began using digital cameras in 1995. I've not found that any one solves all issues and in my experience, SPP is still the best tool for converting and initial manipulation of Foveon files.

Your mileage may vary - but please don't attempt to tell me what works best for me. I've been there and done that...

Lin

-- hide signature --

learntomakeslidshows.net

Olympus E-10
41mm
41mm Regular Member • Posts: 192

Years ago, the apple advertisement told us: THINK DIFFERENT(LY).
SPP is a Raw-Converter.
Not more. Not less.

At the end its all about whether the image tells a story - or not - thats it.

At the moment SPP is my Raw-Tool - because - its just simple.

titus

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads