A simple poll......24MP or 36MP...

Started Sep 23, 2012 | Discussions
Tony Beach Forum Pro • Posts: 11,909
40 MP

antonoat wrote:

Just out of curiosity I'd like to know who would have preferred that Nikon had made it's new flagship cameras(D800/D800E) 24MP rather than 36MP.

The D4 is the flagship camera, not the D800/D800E.

for so long they(Nikon) told us they though twelve MP was more than enough.

That message was accepted hook line and sinker in this forum and throughout the Nikon community, and I find it amusing that now that the overwhelming majority users who have actual hands on experience with 36 MP wouldn't go back to 12 MP.

When I look at the crop factor of 24 MP versus 36 MP, and the practical effect that has for my longer focal lengths, I want more and not less MP. Look at it this way, if you want reach would you choose a 180mm lens or a 216mm lens? The answer is fairly obvious to me.

sjprg
sjprg Senior Member • Posts: 1,884
Re: A simple poll......24MP or 36MP...

I bought an 800E and a 24mm G as an interium untill Canon releases their 46MP. Someday lol.
--
Paul
http://www.pbase.com/sjprg

sjprg's gear list:sjprg's gear list
Sony RX100 V Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Nikon D800E Canon EOS M Sony a7R +13 more
J Mankila
J Mankila Veteran Member • Posts: 4,234
36MP for the win! [nt]

note xt

-- hide signature --

regards
Janne Mankila, Finland

Oly Canikon
Oly Canikon Senior Member • Posts: 1,275
Re: 40 MP

Tony Beach wrote:

antonoat wrote:

Just out of curiosity I'd like to know who would have preferred that Nikon had made it's new flagship cameras(D800/D800E) 24MP rather than 36MP.

The D4 is the flagship camera, not the D800/D800E.

That message was accepted hook line and sinker in this forum and throughout the Nikon community, and I find it amusing that now that the overwhelming majority users who have actual hands on experience with 36 MP wouldn't go back to 12 MP.

When I look at the crop factor of 24 MP versus 36 MP, and the practical effect that has for my longer focal lengths, I want more and not less MP. Look at it this way, if you want reach would you choose a 180mm lens or a 216mm lens? The answer is fairly obvious to me.

Tony,

There was a notion that noise and DR had an inverse relation with MP. That has been totally shot down with the D800.

I recently read an interview with a Canon exec who was saying that 20 MP is the sweet spot. Translation, Canon hasn't got the technology to compete.They are singing from Nikon's old songbook.

primeshooter
primeshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,954
36MP

antonoat wrote:

There are obviously good arguments for both alternatives but I think it would be very interesting to hear what the photographers who use these cameras would prefer.

If you could please just answer 24 or 36, it would be much appreciated and it could be quite informative.

kind regards

tony

More is more in this case.

RomanJohnston
RomanJohnston Forum Pro • Posts: 18,825
36MP

Large prints driving that answer.

Roman

-- hide signature --

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious; It is the source of all true art and science.
~ Albert Einstein

http://www.commercialfineart.com/

http://www.pbase.com/romansphotos/

Brandon birder Veteran Member • Posts: 4,203
36mpx +++
Cha Chief Regular Member • Posts: 215
16 or 24 with 8fps.

Like someone else said. The D4 is 16mp. 24mp is ample for anything that I do and before 36mp came out, it was ample for everyone else also because it had to be in the D3X which has been the top dog in mp since 2008. Heck the D3S has 12mp. Is the D3S soup sandwich now? What about the D4? Actually 16 is just great for me. Give me 16mp at 8fps with auto focus like in the D3S or D4 and brother I'm happy. The D700 has 12mp. Yes, I'll admit that more mega pixels is cool and "sometimes" needed but I'm personally not into the mp race. Give me good ISO performance at 12 or 16 mp with a great auto focus, at 8fps and I'm fine with that. The D600 is a really nice camera.

engbert Senior Member • Posts: 2,884

I am delighted with my new d800. For portraits and parties the extra pixels are useful, because you can make several individual shots out of one group, while still having enough pixels for each.

For birding, you can catch a bird in fllight much more easily, or you can use the
DX mode.

But the d800 is so much more than just a lot of pixels. The AF for birds in flight is amazing. The image quality generally is also amazing.

I would have difficulty thinking of anything more I want.

With 24mp, the dx mode would only be about 10mp, instead of nearly 16mp with the 36mb sensor.

-- hide signature --

http://www.pbase.com/bertramm
pbase & dpreview supporter

engbert's gear list:engbert's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony a6400 Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 +2 more
Terrance Vacha Contributing Member • Posts: 954
24 Mp here

24 MP

Terrance Vacha's gear list:Terrance Vacha's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Tamron SP AF 17-35mm F/2.8-4 Di LD Aspherical (IF) Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +9 more
nathantw Senior Member • Posts: 1,735
Re: 36mp

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

More is better!

Greg.

I agree, more better.

-- hide signature --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathantw/
Always have a camera with you and make sure you use it.

larrywilson
larrywilson Veteran Member • Posts: 6,574
Re: 36mp

More to a camera than mega pixels. 36 for me is too much, not into wall size photos. 24 would probably work if Nikon can get the frame speed up and have the 24 in a body such as the d3 or d4 series. I am happy with 16.

Larry

larrywilson's gear list:larrywilson's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm F4E FL ED VR +7 more
Robin Casady Forum Pro • Posts: 12,898
Re: I could use more than 36 MP.

TOF guy wrote:

Robin Casady wrote:

The D800E only produces a 20x30" print at 240 ppi.

21x31" ?

30.6667 x 20.4667" if you want to nitpick, but 20 x 30" is a standard print size.
--
Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html

DANdeMAN
DANdeMAN Senior Member • Posts: 1,001

Grig wrote:

36 for sure! This image taken with my D800 handheld with 14-24 is hanging on my wall 60x40 inches on canvas and details are just amazing!!!

Grig, what is the recipe for a print that size? Up-sampling? Looking good btw.
I love big a$$ prints so my answer is 36+++

I printed 2 of my work on aluminum dibond 28x42 & 30x40 last week, they look fantastic!
I ordered 4 more today... they had a 30% sale

-- hide signature --

D800E "The Monster" (07-2012) - SONY V3 (03-2005)

DANdeMAN's gear list:DANdeMAN's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +10 more
Rajeshb Senior Member • Posts: 1,306
36 MP

assuming money (for better lenses and computer/storage) is not a factor
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rajesh_b/

Rajeshb's gear list:Rajeshb's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 (IF) DX Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD
mothergoose
mothergoose Senior Member • Posts: 1,235
Re: 36 MP

Rajeshb wrote:

--

Haha, I just had to buy a 2 TB hard drive for my camera. I should have bought 2. I also bought a new lens for it. Before long, it will just take my wallet and the keys to my truck. Kids and cameras--gotta love em!

mothergoose's gear list:mothergoose's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +10 more
Rajeshb Senior Member • Posts: 1,306
Re: 36 MP

I am not bothered, because for my photography Money and leave are the only two factors. I used D50 for 4 years and planning to use the d7000 for 4 years also. that means I am good till 2015

rajesh

mothergoose wrote:

Rajeshb wrote:

--

Haha, I just had to buy a 2 TB hard drive for my camera. I should have bought 2. I also bought a new lens for it. Before long, it will just take my wallet and the keys to my truck. Kids and cameras--gotta love em!

Rajeshb's gear list:Rajeshb's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 (IF) DX Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD
QuicksilverCA Contributing Member • Posts: 543

Unless you are making very large prints I don't think it matters too much

Leif Goodwin Senior Member • Posts: 1,390

Oly Canikon wrote:

I recently read an interview with a Canon exec who was saying that 20 MP is the sweet spot. Translation, Canon hasn't got the technology to compete.They are singing from Nikon's old songbook.

They might well believe that to be true. IMO few people can use 36MP, but assuming from this poll to be representative, Nikon have got it right given that the aim is to produce products that people want.

Leif Goodwin's gear list:Leif Goodwin's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +4 more
Sergeant Baker Forum Member • Posts: 59
true

Comparing Raw, the D4 is maybe one stop better than D800 in high ISO (ISO 25000 and above).

Would love to have the D4 sensor in a cheaper body, but the D4 would sell worse then...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads