D600 dust or oil on sensor

Started Sep 23, 2012 | Discussions
evalf Junior Member • Posts: 28
D600 dust or oil on sensor

I've had my D600 for 4 days, tonight I was shooting some night shots on a tripod with a high apperture when I noticed some dark spots, always at the same location on the pictures.

Back home I shot a wall at maximum apperture, which revealed even more spots, most of them on the left side of the sensor. I ran a few sensor cleans but it didn't change anything. I had a look at the sensor but nothing was apparent to the naked eye.

After reading about people having oil on their D7000 and D800 sensors I decided to run a few hundred shots to see if there was any change. Well actually it ended being almost a thousand shots (it goes really quick in continuous high speed release mode). As you can see from the album below many more spots appeared after during the first 500 or so shots, but then it seems that the spots mostly moved around a little without many new ones.

I'm wondering what to do about this. I live in Hong Kong, where the customer protection is not what it is in the west. Simply returning the camera is not an option. I think the chances of getting an exchange at the store are very slim. If I could get an exchange though, would I be likely to get another camera with the exact same problem, or did I get really unlucky with mine?

Another option would be to go directly to the Nikon service center (there are two within 30 minutes of my place). As things did seem to not get worse in the last 500 shots, I'm hoping that this was some sort of "breaking in" that was happening and that hopefully there shouldn't be a lot more new spots appearing in the future. Can the Nikon service center do anything to actually prevent more stuff being deposited on the sensor, or can they only clean the sensor?

I'd be very interested in hearing from other members that had a similar issue with their D7000 or D800, as well as if others are having similar problems with their D600.

Nikon D600 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Bruce Fasterling
Bruce Fasterling Forum Member • Posts: 55
Re: D600 dust or oil on sensor

My D7000 had some dust on the sensor. I bought the appropriately sized sensor swabs and solution and cleaned it myself. Testing it afterward, the spots were all gone. I've since upgraded to a D800 and haven't seen (or really gone looking for) dust spots. I rarely shoot at f-stops higher than f8 (my general preference being in the f2.8 to f4 range), so they are much less prone to being visible.
--
Bruce F

Bruce Fasterling's gear list:Bruce Fasterling's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +6 more
Mako2011
Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 26,468

A bit hard to tell without being able to see full size. Go here http://www.dpreview.com/members/settings/profile

And under the "Privacy and Safety" tab check "Allow" under "Allow visitors to download full size original images from your gallery" That way we can see the full size image.

As it stands. It might be a little debris and a little oil. It actually does not look that bad at all compared to others I have seen. I would simply do a wet cleaning yourself and then monitor to see if they come back in force. I normally have to wet clean every 2 or 4 thousand pics as the spot (dust mostly) approach 10 or 20 in number at very small aperture.

dpreviewprov Regular Member • Posts: 336
wet cleaning video instruction here.....

A good video illustration (on wet cleaning) here:
http://www.visibledust.com/page.php?videos=wet&vswabs=1

evalf wrote:

I've had my D600 for 4 days, tonight I was shooting some night shots on a tripod with a high apperture when I noticed some dark spots, always at the same location on the pictures.

Back home I shot a wall at maximum apperture, which revealed even more spots, most of them on the left side of the sensor. I ran a few sensor cleans but it didn't change anything. I had a look at the sensor but nothing was apparent to the naked eye.

After reading about people having oil on their D7000 and D800 sensors I decided to run a few hundred shots to see if there was any change. Well actually it ended being almost a thousand shots (it goes really quick in continuous high speed release mode). As you can see from the album below many more spots appeared after during the first 500 or so shots, but then it seems that the spots mostly moved around a little without many new ones.

I'm wondering what to do about this. I live in Hong Kong, where the customer protection is not what it is in the west. Simply returning the camera is not an option. I think the chances of getting an exchange at the store are very slim. If I could get an exchange though, would I be likely to get another camera with the exact same problem, or did I get really unlucky with mine?

Another option would be to go directly to the Nikon service center (there are two within 30 minutes of my place). As things did seem to not get worse in the last 500 shots, I'm hoping that this was some sort of "breaking in" that was happening and that hopefully there shouldn't be a lot more new spots appearing in the future. Can the Nikon service center do anything to actually prevent more stuff being deposited on the sensor, or can they only clean the sensor?

I'd be very interested in hearing from other members that had a similar issue with their D7000 or D800, as well as if others are having similar problems with their D600.

OP evalf Junior Member • Posts: 28

I didn't know that by default downloading full size images was disabled. I've now enabled it. Thanks for letting me know what you think about it after seeing the full size images (btw I've had to resize them to 20MPix in order to be able to upload them).

eNo
eNo Forum Pro • Posts: 11,744
And here we go
thomo
thomo Senior Member • Posts: 1,320
I believe it is dust ...

I believe it is dust rather than oil. I had similar marks on both of D7000's - one much worse than what you have here. I checked 3 D7000 bodies when I bought my last one in Hong Kong last Xmas - they all had dust on the sensors.

After spending hundreds of dollars having the local Nikon authorised service agent cleaning the sensors on my D80's then my D90's and D700's and seeing the spots worst on my D7000's I finally realised that one has to face up to learning how to clean the sensors on DSLR's if you are going to shoot digital.

I went down to the local pro shop and bought all the visible dust products to wet & dry clean cropped, full frame and medium format sensors. The whole kit cost over $500 but it pretty much paid for itself by the time I had cleaned 7 of my DSLR's.

It all seemed a bit daunting at first - especially with the cropped sensor bodies - there is so little room to work in the mirror box - but it is worth it in the long run.

I can highly recommend both the Visible Dust static brush AND lupe with the built in LEDs in them. I also found their blower with the built-in filter essential as I found the other types left white powdery spots on the sensors.

thomo's gear list:thomo's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D80 Nikon D90 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 +43 more
anotherMike Veteran Member • Posts: 9,860

Just a data point since you asked. I had some oil spots come up on my D800E after I was in a rather hot environment for a week. Unfortunately I didn't have any sensor swabs and fluid around to clean the sensor (which is all you need to do), but I see now that Eclipse packages these three-packs of swabs that are pre-moistened with fluid, and packing one of them in the stuff I send to location (tripod, stuff that won't go on the plane) will now be part of the procedure.

I'd just clean it off myself - don't see the reason to attempt to return the body or get service involved, but that's just me.

-m

OP evalf Junior Member • Posts: 28

Went to the Nikon service center this morning, it was dust indeed, they cleaned the sensor (free of charge as the camera was so new) and now everything is back to normal. Thanks for the comments and the tips about self sensor cleaning, I'll definitely get some supplies soon so I can do this myself in the future.

Robin Casady Forum Pro • Posts: 12,898

evalf wrote:

I'll definitely get some supplies soon so I can do this myself in the future.

VisibleDust is the most expensive source. CopperHill sells good swabs and replacement pad strips for wet cleaning. Google: copperhill sensor cleaning
You can get some Eclipse products through Amazon.

I use the Eclipse Sensor Swab Plus Type 3 on my D800E and D700 when oil was a problem (break-in period). These swabs are supposed to be pre-moistened with Eclipse liquid. I found I needed to add a few drops for them to be effective. I also save the plastic swab and replace the pad with strips cut from PEC-PADs.

For dust, I use a well cleaned Nylon cosmetic brush statically charged with a Rocket Blower. It is quite effective, and not expensive at a cosmetic counter. No need to pay a premium for a VisibleDust version. See this site for DIY instructions:

http://www.prime-junta.net/pont/How_to/a_Brush_Your_Sensor/a_Brush_Your_Sensor.html
--
Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html

darth vader 17 New Member • Posts: 6

Well I had the problem with my d7000 last year when I bought the camera around August. From the very beginning I was shooting at Yosemite Park, but only I noticed that when I was shooting with the sky at the background, I thought that was my fault and in some way my hands make that spots when I did handle the lenses, at that point, only I had the 18-105VR and the 55-300Vr..from Nikon, also I was shooting with the canon 60d…at some point I made the mistake to wait for a solution from myself, I never thought that was a camera problem, after 3 months of retouching my pictures I released that my Canon never gave any problem like that, and my D90 either…well I started to investigate and I found that hundreds of problems of this kind was happening around the world. I sent the camera to Nikon in el Segundo, CA…they sent me the camera back but the problem still happening, I was really upset, At some point the took the camera back and changed the shutter system and the sensor, after that, the camera work as was expecting. Now, I bought the D600, I received in Saturday, I tested couple shots in the house at night but not in the middle of the day until today. I went outdoors close to a river and some of my shot had oil spots, but this time was in different areas each time not at the same spot like my d7000, so I did clean the lens, 24-85mm VR, and took couple shots to verify, spots were gone. I change the lens to my 85mm 1.8g and same result…no oil spot or stain or nothing…image was clear and sharp…also I try the 70-300Vr and same result…no problem…apparently was just oil from my hands…anyway I will go tomorrow to run more test with sky as background as I made today…I don’t expect more problems, but you never know…only I can say that oil spots problems appears more often from the beginning …because the shutter that Nikon was using was over lubricated, then the oil spots appear when you push the trigger…so if you bought the camera recently try to exchange the camera at the store…if you are out of that range call Nikon for repair, however, you must pay for the first shipping to them…they rules…the other thing is that Nikon shouldn’t use the shutter system that cause the problem to the D7000..However as any electronic device always there be a possibility of things like this happen….so good luck…I hope that info helps some way…

Greg Gebhardt
Greg Gebhardt Forum Pro • Posts: 25,600
It is a fact of digital life with Nikon

My last three Nikon DSLRs all had oil splatter, the D600 should not be different.

Looking at your images it look like dirt or debris as oil leave a circular pattern. You might be able to blow the off with an air bulb or use a sensor brush.

In the end you need to get the stuff to wet clean your sensor. I have been cleaning mine from back in the D1 days and it is well worth learning to do.
--
Greg Gebhardt in
Jacksonville, Florida

Greg Gebhardt's gear list:Greg Gebhardt's gear list
Canon G1 X III Leica Q2 Leica M9 Nikon D4 Sony a6600
madhu0 Forum Member • Posts: 95
I had some sensor dust on the new D600

On my newly purchased Nikon D600, I had some dust on the sensor. It is visible only in F22. I could have cleaned it by myself, but since it is very new one (less than 25 actuations), I decided to return it and got the new one.

The new D600 kit seems to be fine. The only thing was 24-85 zoom ring was very stiff(almost not rotating) at the very beginning, after using it a couple of times, it seems normal.

darth vader 17 New Member • Posts: 6

I ran couple more tests in the field today and the oil spots are back.....I called J R electronics and I request exchange the camera...however, if this happen again, I'm going to request refund.....i want this camera but not at the point to deal with oil spots and Nikon support from California...no way...my suggestion to anybody is that check the camera with sky at background...if oil spots are there...exchange or returned.....period...i'm very upset right now...so I'm waiting to the guy of UPS to pickup the item tomorrow or past tomorrow...will see

ianbrown Senior Member • Posts: 1,969

I have the same issue, I am going to buy a blower today and see if its dust then it may remove it? I have tried sensor clean in camera but no joy.

I have decided if its oil to send it back

See this link for images

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1021&message=42598643

Ian

krausmedia New Member • Posts: 2

Looks like your not the only one.

All 20 of the tested ones at LensRentals.com had dust issues.

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/10/d600-sensor-dust-issues

acquleo New Member • Posts: 4
Re: I had some sensor dust on the new D600

Mine Nikon D600 has the problem, too!

why don't we try to reach a significant number of people with this problem and report it to Nikon?

http://www.change.org/petitions/nikon-nikon-d600-dust-on-sensor

sign and share… please

riofotoplayer New Member • Posts: 5

All D600 have dust issues. It is umbelivable, a $2,000 camera with this sort of problem.

I just switched to Nikon from Canon and I´m very disapointed.

The worst is Nikon taking so long to make a statment and fix the problem.

Nicko3052 New Member • Posts: 22

Quote: "All D600 have dust issues" ?! Where from did you get this "All"?

I don’t have an issue with dust on the sensor or at least no more than with any other DSLR I owned.

argonzero Forum Member • Posts: 85

I had my D600 for about 3 weeks, maybe a few hundred actuations but no where near 1k.  I have quite a bit of dust in the upper left of the image clearly visible at f16.  This is quite a bummer.  Hopefully Nikon will do something about it.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads