Mini D600 review - comparing to D7000

Started Sep 22, 2012 | Discussions
GLcymru New Member • Posts: 15
Mini D600 review - comparing to D7000

I've just purchased my new D600, and I though I would write a little something comparing it to my current (soon to be sold) D7000. I used these forums a lot to help me decide whether the D600 would be a worth while upgrade, so I thought I would just add a little back.

Ergonomics

Both the D600 and D7000 feel very similar in build to me, which is good as I have taken my D7000 in snow / rain / dry dust places, and have not had any problems. The Grip on the D600 is a big improvement, it's much bigger and deeper, as well as having a more pronounced thumb ridge on the back, which makes it easier to hold the d600 single handed. Otherwise all the buttons are very similar, which makes life easier when upgrading.

I was concerend when reading about the D800 re the green cast on the LCD, I have not got this issue on the d600, although I did have to return my first d600 due to serious light leakage from the right hand side of the LCD screen.

The new viewfinder is a joy to use, much bigger and brighter. See the picture below, both to scale.

Autofocus

In the above pictures you can almost make out the outline of the AF system in both cameras. The AF in the d600 appears to be the same size as the one in the d7000, which means all teh focus points are quite clustered in the middle. Not that this is a problem for me though, as I usually focus and recompose.

As far as AF speed, this camera is much faster than the D7000, and more decisive. As for tracking I have undertaken a simple - but probably very crude - test. I photographed a painting on my wall, whilst running towards it, shooting at max burst rate. The lens used was a 70-200mm VRII. I have then taken 100% crops from teh center of the frame.

First the D7000 - I was never truly happy with the tracking performance of this camera. In the sequence below, only the first three shots are acceptably sharp

Second the D600 - much improved. It did loose focus initially, but then re-aquired it and kept it throughout the sequence.

Metering

Overall I find the metering in the d600 to be much better than the d7000, with much less of a tendancy to overexpose. HOWEVER, this will depend on which autofocus mode you're in. I have found that whilst in AF-S with single point, the camera bases the metering heavily on where the focus point is placed. When in AF-S auto or 3d, it does not.

Below is an image taken demonstrating this trait. The image where teh camera is in AF-S single point, has biased the exposure towards the center point (which was selected at the time) therefore overexposing the scene. However, when I changed to AF-S auto or 3d, despite the camera choosing the same center point, the exposure is almost a stop darker. I havent done any thorough testing on this, it just appears to be an observation.

Photo Quality

I'm not going to be able to match the thorough tests done by places like DP review, but my initial impression is one of amazement. Much cleaner Higher ISO's, much more details - especially at higher ISO's.

Below is a comparison at iso 6400 between the d7000 and the d600

Please note that this is not a thorough review, just a quick observation. Overall I am very happy with the D600.

Nikon D600 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ak1999 Contributing Member • Posts: 542
Re: quiet mode

Thanks for your mini review.
Can you tell me if the D600 quiet mode is as quiet as the one on D7000?

I had a D7000 and sold it after getting a D800 and real quiet mode is one of feature I miss.

OP GLcymru New Member • Posts: 15

Short answer: No it isnt, but it aint far off. And certainly compared to the D800 (in the store at least) it is a lot quieter. I have heard the canon one is very quiet, but have not been able to test to compare.

ak1999 wrote:

Thanks for your mini review.
Can you tell me if the D600 quiet mode is as quiet as the one on D7000?

I had a D7000 and sold it after getting a D800 and real quiet mode is one of feature I miss.

dirkluchtman Contributing Member • Posts: 590
Re: Mini D600 review - comparing to D7000

Thanks for the review.

Please tell me, in the ISO6400 comparison picture, did you accidentally switch the cameras? The right picture (D7000) looks cleaner and sharper to me.

Thanks

GLcymru wrote:

Short answer: No it isnt, but it aint far off. And certainly compared to the D800 (in the store at least) it is a lot quieter. I have heard the canon one is very quiet, but have not been able to test to compare.

Thanks for the answer.

This is a bit bad news for me though because now I have to get 5D3 to get quiet shutter feature (good thing that I did not sell all my L lenses).

I didn't switch them no. It's not the best test becuase the D7000 jpeg output is set to vivd, +++ sharp and noise reduction to high. The D600 is simply set to neutral and sharpness to default levels. I was very impressed with the d600 output, because if you compare it to the D7000, there is much less noise reduction applied and there is considerably less colour noise, and much better detail in the shadows. Although this does show how good the D7000 sensor is I suppose.

I'll try again later to repeat this test, but with both camera's set to default settings, and with downsampling of the d600 image to match the d7000's resolution.

dirkluchtman wrote:

Thanks for the review.

Please tell me, in the ISO6400 comparison picture, did you accidentally switch the cameras? The right picture (D7000) looks cleaner and sharper to me.

Thanks

MayaTlab0 Senior Member • Posts: 2,982

ak1999 wrote:

GLcymru wrote:

Thanks for the answer.

This is a bit bad news for me though because now I have to get 5D3 to get quiet shutter feature (good thing that I did not sell all my L lenses).

I've directly compared the shutter sound of the 5DIII (which I own), the D700 (which I used to own), and the D600 (which I do not own). I haven't tried the Q mode of the D7000.

The 5DIII's silent mode is much different than the one on the D600. The latter works like all of Nikon's Q modes, by holding the mirror up as long as the shutter release remains pressed. The 5DIII uses, if I'm correct, electronic damping to soften the clack of the mirror, so the mirror goes down as normal. The penalty is a small increase in shutter lag and viewfinder blackout, and a reduction in continuous drive mode from 6 to 3 fps. The advantage is that it feels like shooting in normal mode, and offers a real and tangible benefit. A French magazine reported that it's 7 dB lower in intensity than the 5DIII's normal mode.

My personal opinion is that the D600's Q mode isn't very useful, but that its normal mode is slightly quieter than the 5DIII's normal mode, but quite a bit louder than its silent mode still. The D700 is off the chart loud in comparison.

halai Contributing Member • Posts: 833
LCD Green Cast

Thanks for the mini review. Quick, short but to the points. I'm glad to hear that your D600 doesn't have a green cast, but unfortunately, mine does have this problem. Matter of fact, it is pretty strong. No matter how much I adjusted, I could not get rid of it. Someone on the forum said it is caused by the adhesive that Nikon is using to put on the screen, and within a few months it will go away. The problem is, I don't think I can wait that long. I will have to visit to a camera store and compare mine to theirs.

Like you, I also have a D7000 to compare with. I do agree to most of the things you said. The AF tracking is faster and more reliable than the D7000, not by much, but noticeable. About the quiet (Q) mode that someone asked, it is not that quiet. I don't know why someone would use this mode, but to me, it is the same or even louder.

Regards,
Halai

halai's gear list:halai's gear list
Nikon D700 Sony a7 III Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
Re: LCD Green Cast

Hi

I took an Image of my screen in live view compared to the D7000 here it is:

I Can't see any appreciable cast on mine, therefore if you're not happy with yours send it back / exchange it. I had to exchange my first D600 due to really bad light leakage on the right hand side of the LCD screen.

It's also interesting to note how much better the live view autofocus is in the D600, it had no problem focussing on the box in low light, the D700 simply couldn't (hence the little red square, compared to the green square on the D600)

halai wrote:

Thanks for the mini review. Quick, short but to the points. I'm glad to hear that your D600 doesn't have a green cast, but unfortunately, mine does have this problem. Matter of fact, it is pretty strong. No matter how much I adjusted, I could not get rid of it. Someone on the forum said it is caused by the adhesive that Nikon is using to put on the screen, and within a few months it will go away. The problem is, I don't think I can wait that long. I will have to visit to a camera store and compare mine to theirs.

Regards,
Halai

Thanks for you information.
I'm set to buy 5D3 for its quiet mode and better JPG engine.
I will keep D800 for its beter DR, higher resolution and 1/320 x-sync speed.
The D7000 quiet mode was fantastic and it is unlike D800 quiet mode.
The mirror mechanism actually slows down in quiet mode.
It will be interesting to compare 5D3 quiet mode against D7000 one.

ugotvijay New Member • Posts: 17

Thanks for posting the review.....would love to see some pics, both indoors and outdoors!

olynik969 Senior Member • Posts: 1,876
D600 Shutter/Mirror Slap?

My D7000 has a very pronounced mirror slap that virtually makes the camera torque in hand. Not at all like my D300. Miltiple threads on this on the D7000 forum? Wondered if you are finding your D600 has A "smoother" shutter/mirror than your D7000?

Thanks, Bob
--
Bob (formerly bobmax)

olynik969's gear list:olynik969's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M10 III Nikon Z6 Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +7 more
Re: D600 Shutter/Mirror Slap?

Thanks for reminding me, I was going to put this in my "mini review" but forgot!

I agree completely, My D7000 had such a pronounced mirror slap that I at around 1/30 to 1/60th of a second I was getting blurry images even with VR on the 16-85 and the 70-200mm lenses (if I turned the shutter speed down to under 1/30 then they would become sharp again!). I was initially quite disappointed with this, but eventually learned to live with it.

I have not had this problem with the D600, There appears to be much less vibration from the mirror at these shutter speeds, and the 70-200mm produces nice sharp images at 1/30-1/60th of a second.

olynik969 wrote:

My D7000 has a very pronounced mirror slap that virtually makes the camera torque in hand. Not at all like my D300. Miltiple threads on this on the D7000 forum? Wondered if you are finding your D600 has A "smoother" shutter/mirror than your D7000?

Thanks, Bob
--
Bob (formerly bobmax)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads