Second D800 from Amazon with the AF issue

Started Sep 21, 2012 | Discussions
davesocal New Member • Posts: 11
Second D800 from Amazon with the AF issue

The first D800 (SN3041XXX) had the AF issue. Left 3 rows of AF points are misfocusing. I decided to exchange the camera.

The second D800 (SN3046XXX) has the same issue. AF point located in the middle and on the right are fine, just left 3 rows are not working properly.

The question is, are all D800's affected or there are some properly working ones?

I'm asking that because I need to decide to keep the camera or exchange. If all the D800's are affected than I don't see the point to keep exchanging. If not all are affected, then I'll exchange once again.

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
brosenz Senior Member • Posts: 1,003
Re: Second D800 from Amazon with the AF issue

When did you get the camera from Amazon ?

davesocal wrote:

The first D800 (SN3041XXX) had the AF issue. Left 3 rows of AF points are misfocusing. I decided to exchange the camera.

The second D800 (SN3046XXX) has the same issue. AF point located in the middle and on the right are fine, just left 3 rows are not working properly.

The question is, are all D800's affected or there are some properly working ones?

I'm asking that because I need to decide to keep the camera or exchange. If all the D800's are affected than I don't see the point to keep exchanging. If not all are affected, then I'll exchange once again.

-- hide signature --

Bernard

OP davesocal New Member • Posts: 11

This week.

On another forum somebody mentioned getting a D800 S/N 305XXXX and was fine.

davesocal wrote:

This week.

-- hide signature --

Bernard

Is it possible that the SN's are just faked by the retailers or Nikon?

Both D800's had horizontal scratch along the lower part of the mirror. Is it ok or something is wrong?

Also the first shot from the first D800 was 3rd actuation of the shutter. The first shot of the second D800 was 1st actuation though.
I mean, something is going on in the Nikon USA or it is just wrong impression?

How did you notice or discovere the scratches on the mirror ?, through the Viewfinder ?

davesocal wrote:

Both D800's had horizontal scratch along the lower part of the mirror. Is it ok or something is wrong?

Also the first shot from the first D800 was 3rd actuation of the shutter. The first shot of the second D800 was 1st actuation though.

-- hide signature --

Bernard

I first noticed it just by looking on the mirror while changing the lens.

Lions Contributing Member • Posts: 526

davesocal wrote:

Is it possible that the store sold you a demo model? I would not be buying a D800 until these issues are all behind us.

Ken R. Pride

Lions's gear list:Lions's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon Extender EF 2x III +2 more

I don't think that Amazon has demo units. They are all online.

Tony Bonanno Contributing Member • Posts: 954
It is NOT a scratch. Perfectly normal...

I've been working with several D800/800E's acquired at different times and widely varying serial numbers. There doesn't seem to be any consistency with the AF issue. Most of the cameras I've tested have it to some degree, but not a deal killer in any of them. We use the cameras with the center AF point most of the time and they are all dead on. I'm not sure I'd bother with continuing the "exchange" exercise. At some point Nikon will have it figured out (perhaps they already do) and when the cameras go in for annual service, will get the AF issues tweaked then.

ALSO, the "scratch" you refer to IS NOT A SCRATCH. It looks like one, but it is actually the edge of the secondary AF mirror module UNDERNEATH the main mirror that you are seeing. It is visible. And yes, it has created a lot of horror with new camera buyers putting a lens on and seeing this awful scratch on their new camera mirror :). It is not a defect. Perfectly normal.

-- hide signature --

Tony Bonanno Photography, Santa Fe, New Mexico
ASMP General member.
http://www.bonannophoto.com

Tony Bonanno's gear list:Tony Bonanno's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D5 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Leica M10 Nikon D850 +1 more
Funky Doobie Regular Member • Posts: 131

I received yet another D800 from Amazon just earlier this week (serial 304xxxx), and it, too, exhibits the autofocus issue.

Bottom line: the production line is not yet fixed.

Nave Regular Member • Posts: 113

The line across the mirror is normal. Both of mine have it.

OldschoolRu Forum Member • Posts: 95

davesocal wrote:

Keep exchanging , Amazon will let you do till some point.
Or ask them to upgrade to 800E.

OldschoolRu's gear list:OldschoolRu's gear list
Nikon D600
Re: It is NOT a scratch. Perfectly normal...

Ok maybe that's the secondary mirror, but even than I'd like to mention that the "scratches" are little different. One is somehow deeper and more obvious than the other.

Is there a difference between D800 and D800E AF wise? First time I hear that.

My main question is, however, are there unaffected D800s at all? If I'll keep exchanging would I get eventually unaffected D800? Or they are all the same?
Is there somebody who went this route and got a perfect D800?

lanef Forum Pro • Posts: 10,317

Could it be you got a camera returned by someone else?

What is really happening with all the returns? Passing them around to other customers? Who knows?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads