Scanned B&W picture of Grandparents for touch up.

Started Sep 21, 2012 | Discussions
Vreeke Junior Member • Posts: 31
Scanned B&W picture of Grandparents for touch up.

Hi

I have this scanned B&W image of my Grandparents that I would like to make prints and give to my four brothers. If anyone would be willing to take a look at this pic in my gallery and see what can be done to improve it before I send it to the printer that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I tried to add this jpg to this post but my computer would lock up on me.

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/1016690232/photos/2224978/grand1

Greg.
Greg. Senior Member • Posts: 1,144
Black and white. My favorite three colors!

Hi ya.... Nice photograph. If you have an image editing program, set the black point to make the blacks more black. You might want to back off the results a fraction to try and show what detail there is in the dark clothing. (Personally I like my blacks to be black).Thats about it really, everything else should fall into place.

The vertical scratches are not that obtrusive (easily removed if required) but I would leave them. Character marks and all that jazz.

Hope you don't mind that I adjusted your photograph with the help of Dave Jaseck's Lazlo toning action? Mildly pensive and slightly bored for a Friday night.

If you want it adjusted here before printing. Scan as high a resolution as possible and save as a Tiff. Post it via 'drop-box' or one of the cloud thingmybob sites. ie large file transfer.

Welcome to the retouching forum. Greg.

OP Vreeke Junior Member • Posts: 31
Re: Black and white. My favorite three colors!

Thanks Greg

Thought it may need a lot more help. Is 600 dpi tif file too much or should it be 300. I have a 600 dpi tif file but my computer runs out of memory when I try to open it.

Thanks

Steve Throndson Senior Member • Posts: 2,702

Vreeke,

What a treasure to have such a photo of your Grandparents !

What size is your original print, and how big do you want the final prints to be? If you're going to print at the same size as the original, then I think 300 dpi would be OK. If you intend to make prints that are larger than the original, then scan at 600 dpi or more.

The picture in your gallery is about 7cm x 10cm @ 300dpi. (830 x 1200 pixels, and about 195 kilobytes)

I'd like to see the dark areas brightened a bit, but there are lots of light vertical lines in the dark clothing - are they scuff marks on the original, or are they some sort of scanning artifacts? They could be retouched, and some member probably knows a fast way to do that. I only know the slow way, with Photoshop's patch and clone tools.

Greg.
Greg. Senior Member • Posts: 1,144
Scan resolution~print size calculator.

If your machine is running out of memory with a 600ppi image that is a problem.

If you need to free up some space dump large files to disk or external hard drive.

Get rid of unwanted~unused programs and the gazillion foreign language fonts.

If you are using a PC run disk cleanup and defrag your hard drive.

For Mac download and run Onyx.

Scan resolution~print size calculator.
http://www.scantips.com/calc.html

Greg.

Steve Throndson wrote:

Vreeke,

What a treasure to have such a photo of your Grandparents !

What size is your original print, and how big do you want the final prints to be? If you're going to print at the same size as the original, then I think 300 dpi would be OK. If you intend to make prints that are larger than the original, then scan at 600 dpi or more.

The picture in your gallery is about 7cm x 10cm @ 300dpi. (830 x 1200 pixels, and about 195 kilobytes)

I'd like to see the dark areas brightened a bit, but there are lots of light vertical lines in the dark clothing - are they scuff marks on the original, or are they some sort of scanning artifacts? They could be retouched, and some member probably knows a fast way to do that. I only know the slow way, with Photoshop's patch and clone tools.

Steve

The original is around 11 x 17 inches. The final print I would like to be the same size so no enlarging needed, The vertical lines are scuffs on the original image and not from the scan. I think that when I uploaded the file it made it smaller. Greg suggested posting the original onto drop box and I will give that a try. I have a 300 dpi jpg and a 600 dpi tif file that I will try to upload. Thanks for taking a look and suggestions.

Re: Black and white photo of Grandparents

Vreeke

I'll watch for your dropbox address. I didn't realize it was such a big original. A TIFF at 300 dpi would be about 48 megabytes? And a 600 dpi scan in 16 bit would be pretty close to 400 megabytes.

Did you scan this is sections, or do you have an 11x17 scanner?

Steve

Steve Throndson wrote:

Vreeke

I'll watch for your dropbox address. I didn't realize it was such a big original. A TIFF at 300 dpi would be about 48 megabytes? And a 600 dpi scan in 16 bit would be pretty close to 400 megabytes.

Did you scan this is sections, or do you have an 11x17 scanner?

Steve

Not sure if this will work the two files are in this drop box.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/eyubv9a7xf7eyc4/zYzQwAYEsg

I may need your email to give you permissions. I had the full image scanned at a office supply type store who had a scanner that was just about large enough. The image was cut off a little on the left and right side. There is a tif file which should be 600 dpi and a jpg file which should also be 600.

Thanks

Vreeke,

I was able to download the files OK. Retouching the scuff marks will take some time. It looks like they did a really good scan of the original.

to Vreeke - retouching done

Vreeke,

I've finished retouching the files I got from your dropbox.

Here's a link to them. Hope it works - I've not used dropbox before . . .

Let me know if you get them OK. There's a full-size TIFF file and two JPEGs - one RGB and the other BW.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6kmj4z1x9jufw98/EUxBe7Acqw

Re: to Vreeke - retouching done

Steve

I was able to download the files just fine. They look really good and I will have them printed on Monday. Thanks again for all your help it will be very much appreciated.

Randy

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads