Can you explain M focuisng please?

Started Sep 20, 2012 | Discussions
kkeating Contributing Member • Posts: 518
Can you explain M focuisng please?

I'm a little slow to catch on sometimes and I like most things about the new M but don't understand the new focusing. Is it still a rangefinder- just line up the overlapping images? The 10x in live view- does that magnify the overlap? Focus tweaking? LED confirmation or just frame lines? It's not clear to me in the write-ups but probably very clear holding one in your hands and focusing it. Thanks in advance.

camcollect Regular Member • Posts: 344
Re: Can you explain M focuisng please?

All your answers are here:
http://www.reddotforum.com/content.php/278-Photokina-2012-Day-1-The-Leica-M

But yes, its still a rangefinder, it just has additional methods in addition to the traditional rangefinder to obtain focus. The implementation looks brilliant.

Dr. Ulrich Rohde Senior Member • Posts: 1,669

Excellent report

Dr. Ulrich Rohde's gear list:Dr. Ulrich Rohde's gear list
Leica X Vario Leica X (Typ 113) Leica Q Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III +16 more
OP kkeating Contributing Member • Posts: 518

That's what I needed. Thanks for the link.

Ranger 9 Regular Member • Posts: 139

The show report was great, but I have another question:

I've been reading in the news release material that the M (I guess we'll all have to get used to calling it the 'typ 240') has an "improved rangefinder."

Does anyone know specifically what the improvements are? Are they talking only about the LED-illuminated framelines (already seen on the Titan, I believe) or were there optical/mechanical changes to the rangefinder module itself?

I'm sure the RF is still great; I'm asking because I'm interested in the details of how rangefinder mechanisms are designed.

AV Janus Senior Member • Posts: 1,994

Great report, I love the new optional features and addons of the new M.

1 question, though: Can you move the zone that being magnified while using MF focus assist magnification option with the EVF?
Like one can do on m43 cameras.

-- hide signature --

Rick Halle wrote:

" Keep in mind that tall buildings sway back and forth so they require faster shutter speeds."

AV Janus's gear list:AV Janus's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +10 more
harold1968
harold1968 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,687
there you go

http://www.petapixel.com/2011/04/26/how-to-focus-a-rangefinder-camera/

kkeating wrote:

I'm a little slow to catch on sometimes and I like most things about the new M but don't understand the new focusing. Is it still a rangefinder- just line up the overlapping images? The 10x in live view- does that magnify the overlap? Focus tweaking? LED confirmation or just frame lines? It's not clear to me in the write-ups but probably very clear holding one in your hands and focusing it. Thanks in advance.

-- hide signature --
 harold1968's gear list:harold1968's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Sony RX1R Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha a7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +1 more
Alex Leach Senior Member • Posts: 1,041

Ranger 9 wrote:

Does anyone know specifically what the improvements are? Are they talking only about the LED-illuminated framelines (already seen on the Titan, I believe)

The improvement is that the mechanical framelines (identical to M9) are lit by a small bulb inside the viewfinder, and do not rely on natural light - hence the removal of the framline illumination window on the front of the camera.

They are not the same as the M9 Titan framelines which were fully electronic, projected into the viewfinder.

-- hide signature --

Alex

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads