Fuji: Silver X-E1 "Perfect for women"

Started Sep 19, 2012 | Discussions
ispress Forum Member • Posts: 96
Fuji: Silver X-E1 "Perfect for women"

This post is intended to be light-hearted, so please don't take offense. I think things get lost in translation sometimes when companies put together their advertising materials, like this gem from Fuji's X-E1 website:

Black

The black X-E1 allows the subject to forget about the camera and is therefore optimal for reportage work.

Silver

The silver X-E1's refined design and feel stands out among the X series and is great for casual occasions. It's perfect for women and the younger generation.

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujifilm_x_e1/features/page_03.html

Everyone got that? Black is for older male types. Silver is for women and youngsters.

ispress's gear list:ispress's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Clayton1985 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,194
Re: Fuji: Silver X-E1 "Perfect for women"

Whew! Glad to know I ordered the right one.... wouldn't want to be walking around with a ladies camera :).

brudy Senior Member • Posts: 1,510

It's a little sad that some marketing guy is actually getting paid to come up with that crap.

brudy's gear list:brudy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha a7R Fujifilm X-T10
D200_4me
D200_4me Veteran Member • Posts: 4,154

Everyone knows girls can't take pictures. Kai even made a video to teach them how...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDFCMHLtNl8

Gets good around 1:30

-- hide signature --
 D200_4me's gear list:D200_4me's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Sony Alpha a7R III Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +1 more
nawknai Senior Member • Posts: 1,043

Women have a great eye for photography. How else can you explain all the wonderful, creative photos that my girlfriend takes while chained up to the kitchen stove?

nawknai's gear list:nawknai's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +1 more
skimble
skimble Veteran Member • Posts: 6,178
ohhh dear does that mean..

all the X100 sold in the beginning were lady's and youngster cameras
At least I can count myself into the youngster group

skimble's gear list:skimble's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 70D
Toccata47 Senior Member • Posts: 2,800
There's more to the world than America

Mirrorless cameras have eclipsed dslr sales in the japanese home market taking over 60% market share. Of that, the fastest growing demographic are people under

For you American Suffragettes decrying this violation, do make the same objection anytime you see a beer commercial in the usa, or do you believe that those woman are wiggling in bikinis because it makes the booze go down smoother?

brudy wrote:

It's a little sad that some marketing guy is actually getting paid to come up with that crap.

ohmydentist Senior Member • Posts: 1,933

Fuji could say the silver model is for teenage girls, and I would still get it because I like it. These remarks only matter to insecure folks.

-- hide signature --

^ ^

Just Shoot !

Daniel from Bavaria Contributing Member • Posts: 861

Meeh, I loved the design of the X100 and think the X-Pro1 is not as elegant.

If I would buy the X-E1, what I will not do as I have the X-Pro1, I would for sure pick up the silver model, same with the OM-D.

Disclaimer: I am male, I am no artist, I am just a married manager who did Kickboxing for a long time and loves to share dirty jokes with his friends with some beers. I am not able to find the right curtain-colour and if you ask me what the car was which has passed, I can tell you everything about it, except the colour - my wife would only be able to tell you the colour ...

So, sh*T, I think I am the wrong customer for the silverfinished X-E1 or X100. I have to stay with my batman-camera . cool

Cheers,
Daniel

Daniel from Bavaria's gear list:Daniel from Bavaria's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica Super-Elmar-M 21mm f/3.4 ASPH Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 1,4/35 ZM +1 more
MuMinded Senior Member • Posts: 1,939
Re: There's more to the world than America

Your logic doesn't quite hold true as far as I can see.
http://fujifilm-x.com/x-e1/ja/about/accessory/

Can't find anywhere on the Fujifilm Japan site where it says that the silver is for ladies. If this advertisement wasn't meant for the English speaking world, (there were womans rights movements all over the western world BTW) then why make the advertisment in English to begin with?

I like beer, I like woman.. seems like a perfect combination to me..

MuMinded

Toccata47 wrote:

Mirrorless cameras have eclipsed dslr sales in the japanese home market taking over 60% market share. Of that, the fastest growing demographic are people under

For you American Suffragettes decrying this violation, do make the same objection anytime you see a beer commercial in the usa, or do you believe that those woman are wiggling in bikinis because it makes the booze go down smoother?

brudy wrote:

MuMinded's gear list:MuMinded's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus Tough TG-4 Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +2 more
andyjayscott Regular Member • Posts: 132

I reckon it's probably perfect for taking photographs of women.

DRabbit
DRabbit Veteran Member • Posts: 4,724
All you manly men...

You better cancel your silver EX1 pre-orders... wouldn't want us thinking less of you for carrying around a woman's camera

(plus it'll move me up higher on the pre-order list - LOL)

Amy
--

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
Google+: http://gplus.to/DangRabbit
Twitter: http://twitter.com/DangRabbit
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/DangRabbitPhotography
PAD Project: http://www.DangRabbit.com/photography/pad
Gallery: http://www.DangRabbit.com/photography

DRabbit's gear list:DRabbit's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M5 II +24 more
mainger
mainger Regular Member • Posts: 370

Actually, this kind of comment is perfectly OK in Japan. It's assumed here that women and men don't want the same designs, and therefore some designs (not just the pink ones!) are marketed towards women, and expressely state so. Also, the level of "chauvinism" you can get away here is really quite high. I bought a wooden shelf from Muji last year that had, printed on the label : "so easy to put up even women could do it." I asked my female friends about this and most of them said it was a positive thing, because in their mind, diy is for men, it needs complex tools, etc. The label made them confident.

As a foreigner here, it makes my skin crawl sometimes, but it's hard to objectively judge another culture. Still pretty funny though

mainger's gear list:mainger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-T1 +1 more

Exactly!

I've lived in Japan for 14 years and that is exactly the same response I have sometime.

People are sometimes too uptight about such things like this. The Japanese on the other hand recognize and seem to celebrate that differences between men and woman are normal and natural.

I'm in Chiba BTW..

MuMinded

mainger wrote:

Actually, this kind of comment is perfectly OK in Japan. It's assumed here that women and men don't want the same designs, and therefore some designs (not just the pink ones!) are marketed towards women, and expressely state so. Also, the level of "chauvinism" you can get away here is really quite high. I bought a wooden shelf from Muji last year that had, printed on the label : "so easy to put up even women could do it." I asked my female friends about this and most of them said it was a positive thing, because in their mind, diy is for men, it needs complex tools, etc. The label made them confident.

As a foreigner here, it makes my skin crawl sometimes, but it's hard to objectively judge another culture. Still pretty funny though

TitusXIII
TitusXIII Regular Member • Posts: 449

Beer, boobs and bacon and a silver camera is what men dream of.

TitusXIII's gear list:TitusXIII's gear list
Pentax Optio W90 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon PowerShot S110 Ricoh GR Nikon D80 +5 more
mainger
mainger Regular Member • Posts: 370

MuMinded wrote:

I'm in Chiba BTW..

Tokyo. Don't you find that the clouds in Japan are not that photogenic? I used to live in England and we'd have photo-grade clouds all the time. Here, it's a rarity, IMO.

mainger's gear list:mainger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-T1 +1 more
intruder61
intruder61 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,064

ispress wrote:

This post is intended to be light-hearted, so please don't take offense. I think things get lost in translation sometimes when companies put together their advertising materials, like this gem from Fuji's X-E1 website:

Black

The black X-E1 allows the subject to forget about the camera and is therefore optimal for reportage work.

Silver

The silver X-E1's refined design and feel stands out among the X series and is great for casual occasions. It's perfect for women and the younger generation.

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujifilm_x_e1/features/page_03.html

Everyone got that? Black is for older male types. Silver is for women and youngsters.

oh my! .. a dilemma for lesbians

PeterLeyssens Senior Member • Posts: 1,532

Hi,

mainger wrote:

I asked my female friends about this and most of them said it was a positive thing, because in their mind, diy is for men, it needs complex tools, etc. The label made them confident.

This reminds me of a female Japanese friend. She is quite emancipated, actually: travels around solo all the time, managed to (nearly) drink me under the table, was a 3 dan kendo, etc. When she visited me in Belgium and I started cooking a simple omelet with mushrooms, she was very surprised. It was the first time ever she saw a man (non-cook) chop up vegetables.

Peter.

PeterLeyssens's gear list:PeterLeyssens's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Samyang 12mm F2 NCS CS Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR

Not Always, but most of the times. Being in Chiba, and downwind of all that Tokyo Smog does have one benefit, sometimes the sunsets are out of this world.

Sorry, not a Fujifilm image.. Taken with my D300 and a long lens.. Not far from my house.

MuMinded

mainger wrote:

MuMinded wrote:

I'm in Chiba BTW..

Tokyo. Don't you find that the clouds in Japan are not that photogenic? I used to live in England and we'd have photo-grade clouds all the time. Here, it's a rarity, IMO.

JakeB Contributing Member • Posts: 855
Re: There's more to the world than America

They're both sexist ads.

But thanks for hoisting yourself by your own petard.

Toccata47 wrote:

brudy wrote:

JakeB's gear list:JakeB's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads