Wifi on 6d - how does it work ?

Started Sep 19, 2012 | Discussions
mermaidkiller Contributing Member • Posts: 918
Wifi on 6d - how does it work ?

Looks nice, but how does it work ?

When enabled and connected to an existing wifi router, downloading via Samba/Cifs (Windows share) or ssh ? The latter are technical terms for just viewing the SD card in the camera on the file browser on your computer, regardless it is Mac, Linux, Windows or Android. iOS is a different story as its architecture is closed in itself.

I'm afratd not it has a proprietary protocol for which you need Canon software to be installed separately.
Eye-fi works that way: proprietary protocol.

Pulling the SD card from my camera and plug it into my laptop or usb host adapter on Android (as I now do on my 7d) is easier.

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS 7
Canon EF-S 15-85 f/3.5-5.6
Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6
Canon EF 85 f/1.8
Canon EF 50 f/2.5 Macro
-------
Canon Powershot S100

mermaidkiller's gear list:mermaidkiller's gear list
Canon G7 X II Sony RX100 VI Canon EOS 6D GoPro Hero5 Black Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +4 more
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
dara2 Regular Member • Posts: 112
Re: Wifi on 6d - how does it work ?

here the details for the power shoot series and planet 5D thing it may be the same:

http://blog.planet5d.com/2012/09/additional-canon-eos-6d-info-samples-wifi-control-info-and-more/

Dina Aome New Member • Posts: 3

mermaidkiller wrote:

Looks nice, but how does it work ?

When enabled and connected to an existing wifi router, downloading via Samba/Cifs (Windows share) or ssh ? The latter are technical terms for just viewing the SD card in the camera on the file browser on your computer, regardless it is Mac, Linux, Windows or Android. iOS is a different story as its architecture is closed in itself.

I'm afratd not it has a proprietary protocol for which you need Canon software to be installed separately.
Eye-fi works that way: proprietary protocol.

Pulling the SD card from my camera and plug it into my laptop or usb host adapter on Android (as I now do on my 7d) is easier.

Completely agree. The Wifi on the 6D is as useful as a cup holder on the 6D. And maybe the cup holder could actually be used more often. Here is some additional info that I found my self about the WIFI on the 6D:

1)hard to connect-> it requires that you set up a password wich just adds soo much confusion and time.

2)not for sharing during a party or photoshoot

3)live view does not work with flash. How stupid is that?  go outside for natural light and you get glare on the ipad, go inside for flash and you can't use live view to see the frame.

4)similarly not for flash selfies or other types of flash photos. Here is the work around -> guess if you are in focus. or Use magic lantern to do a focus sweep while you smile for a few seconds.

in summary, WIFI on the 6D and probably all other wifi from canon is useless.  If I was a smart engineer devising this wifi function (read between the lines canon and give us a firmware update)  I would allow easy 1 button no password interfacing, auto names like "camera_1, camera_2" that you can change with one button for the WIFI name. I would make it so that I can actually see the SD card so that its easy for others to grab my photos if I enable easy connect. and finally I would make it so that all functions work with wifi not just some and specially the F$#%#$ING flash. Also I would give out the interface system details to Linux, CHDK and Magic Lantern so that they can open up the functionality for special purposes or fun (I'm in it for the fun). Also I would like to call the Canon team in charge of the current wifi functionality a bunch of idiots. How can a whole team of engineers come up with such a crap piece of technology after all arrows pointing to easy of use have been raised since the first MP3? Now a days it needs to be simple. I take a usb stick, plug it and I see the folder with the files in it. Some usb sticks have that plus a fancy interface to the device. Well you missed the simple an just gave us the fancy. So dumb!  Guys, just go find a wall and hit your head on it a few times for me. I already did that for buying your camera. I should have waited and just gotten the 5DMiii.  But you shot your foot, I'm stuck with this camera (the camera is really good besides the wifi)  for a few years. Maybe then I would have forgotten about the wifi and buy my next canon. This time I will get a mirroless and if it says it has wifi I will ignore the fact and only buy it because it is a camera.  this is a long summary.

for all others putting wifi on your cameras remember

1)easy connect, single button please

2)easy share hot spot

3)allow the flash to function when wifi is on

4) let us see the sd card contents when connected to this drive.... samba share.

5) share your interface with open source linux, chdk and magic lantern.

Dina Aome New Member • Posts: 3

dara2 wrote:

here the details for the power shoot series and planet 5D thing it may be the same:

http://blog.planet5d.com/2012/09/additional-canon-eos-6d-info-samples-wifi-control-info-and-more/

yeah that is not available on the 6D to connect to facebook.  But just check out how terrible the interface system is. Not only does it take 4 minutes to explain, but it will be different for anyone and everyone. Again, a single button interface is something I would love.

But lets look a the really nefarious system they have set up. You put in your hotspot name and password as well as your facebook name and password into your camera. Then those things are sent thru your router to the canon site for "safe" storage. Once connected you take your photos, they go to the canon server where they love to have your photos and if you face book account is right, they might even be posted to facebook. Nice!  way to go CANON!

how about 1 web app that I can have in my own PC (be it MAC, Linux or that other one) I type in my own connection info and my own piwigo or gallery info and click load to camera. Why does my information have to go to your site?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads