Nikon to Canon switch - 5D3 lense choice

Started Sep 17, 2012 | Discussions
Buchanan Senior Member • Posts: 1,124
Re: Nikon to Canon switch - 5D3 lense choice

Richard Innes wrote:

Also just realised there's a 70-200 f2.8 I and II. With the II being almost twice the price of I (I was refering to the I lense when I said the f4 version was half its price, the f4 version is a 1/4 of the price of the II version).

What are the main differences between the 70-200 I & II? better optics, or just better USM / IS etc?

Tks,
Richard.

Richard,

It is generally acknowledged that all 4 of the current 70-200 (plus the no longer offered 2.8v1) lenses are excellent. The f/4 you refer to that is 1/4 of the 2.8II price is the non-IS version while the f/4 version that is just over half the price of the 2.8II is the IS (VC) version.

There are differences in optics and also between the IS versions for those having that feature. The best in those areas, and in most people's view also regarding image quality is the 70-700L 2.8II. It is also the newest and most expensive. Most rate the f/4 IS version extremely close to it. I have both of these lenses and to me they seem equally sharp and equal in color and contrast. The 2.8 of course gives the advantages that 2.8 lenses give over f/4 lenses. The disadvantage is its large dimensions and weight. If I didn't shoot indoor sports I would have been plenty happy with only the f/4 IS.

The 2.8 non-IS reportedly provides excellent optical performance but not up to the level of the newer IS II version and of course it lacks IS. The f/4 non-IS provides a lot of bang-for-the-buck and gets you an L quality lens for the least amount of money of them all.

Buchanan's gear list:Buchanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 70D +15 more
OP Richard Innes Regular Member • Posts: 410

Thanks! That's really helpful.

As an aside, my 5D3, 24-105 and speedlite 430 have arrived!! Been playing with them all evening! Taking some time to get used to the different control layout to my nikon experience. Loving it so far, spent most of tonight reading the manual cover-to-cover to get a feel for it Any good user guides online for the 5d3?

Cheers,
Richard.

Buchanan wrote:

Richard Innes wrote:

Also just realised there's a 70-200 f2.8 I and II. With the II being almost twice the price of I (I was refering to the I lense when I said the f4 version was half its price, the f4 version is a 1/4 of the price of the II version).

What are the main differences between the 70-200 I & II? better optics, or just better USM / IS etc?

Tks,
Richard.

Richard,

It is generally acknowledged that all 4 of the current 70-200 (plus the no longer offered 2.8v1) lenses are excellent. The f/4 you refer to that is 1/4 of the 2.8II price is the non-IS version while the f/4 version that is just over half the price of the 2.8II is the IS (VC) version.

There are differences in optics and also between the IS versions for those having that feature. The best in those areas, and in most people's view also regarding image quality is the 70-700L 2.8II. It is also the newest and most expensive. Most rate the f/4 IS version extremely close to it. I have both of these lenses and to me they seem equally sharp and equal in color and contrast. The 2.8 of course gives the advantages that 2.8 lenses give over f/4 lenses. The disadvantage is its large dimensions and weight. If I didn't shoot indoor sports I would have been plenty happy with only the f/4 IS.

The 2.8 non-IS reportedly provides excellent optical performance but not up to the level of the newer IS II version and of course it lacks IS. The f/4 non-IS provides a lot of bang-for-the-buck and gets you an L quality lens for the least amount of money of them all.

-- hide signature --

Richard, London, UK.
D300 and all the gubbins...

Richard Innes's gear list:Richard Innes's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
Mikael Risedal
Mikael Risedal Veteran Member • Posts: 4,621

Always fun to try something new but have you heard about the Nikon d600

Richard Innes wrote:

Hello,

Been a Nikon user for the last 15 years (mainly their better amateur cameras - D300 latest), and now finally decided to upgrade to a full frame camera. Although the D800 is impressive, I think I've kind of fallen for the 5D Mark III in terms of its overall performance and particularly the video performance.

Given I'm moving up in the camera world, I want to start investing in some decent glass to go with my new purchase. Any fast lenses I've previously owned (i.e. f2.8 throughout) have come from the Tamron and Sigma families due to cost.

However, I want to go Canon own lenses now, and I'm toying between the 24-105 L f4.0 lens and the 17-55mm f/2.8. They both come in at similar prices (or appear to where I have looked online).

This will be my main walkaround and just interested in people impressions of both of them.

(The new 24-70mm looks amazing but bit out of my price range given the amount I'm about to spend on the mk3.......)

Thanks everyone and still can't quite believe I'm moving systems, Nikon has been good to me - but that mk3.....

Richard.

-- hide signature --

Life is a battle wishes aunt Titti

guitarjeff Senior Member • Posts: 1,165

My friend and i went to check out a D600 and took my 5D2 along to take pics on the way. My friend preffered my 5d2 over the D600 we looked at. Colors were better on the Canon, feel and fit were better, controls better, far better lens choices, now he just ordered a new MKIII for himself. Now I'm jealous.

There's a reason we have a lot of Nikon trolls, here, ever heard of an inferiority complex? Colrs, ISO, and the biggie, all the lens choices.

To the OP, don't forget about the ton of non L lenses that are very wonderful The 100mm Macro is ASTOUNDING, 85 1.8, 50, 1.4, 35 F2 100 F2, so many fine EF lenses, no wonder Nikon trolls are here,

Mikael Risedal wrote:

Richard Innes wrote:

Hello,

Been a Nikon user for the last 15 years (mainly their better amateur cameras - D300 latest), and now finally decided to upgrade to a full frame camera. Although the D800 is impressive, I think I've kind of fallen for the 5D Mark III in terms of its overall performance and particularly the video performance.

Given I'm moving up in the camera world, I want to start investing in some decent glass to go with my new purchase. Any fast lenses I've previously owned (i.e. f2.8 throughout) have come from the Tamron and Sigma families due to cost.

However, I want to go Canon own lenses now, and I'm toying between the 24-105 L f4.0 lens and the 17-55mm f/2.8. They both come in at similar prices (or appear to where I have looked online).

This will be my main walkaround and just interested in people impressions of both of them.

(The new 24-70mm looks amazing but bit out of my price range given the amount I'm about to spend on the mk3.......)

Thanks everyone and still can't quite believe I'm moving systems, Nikon has been good to me - but that mk3.....

Richard.

Yes, the D600 was my first port of call. Spent an hour in the camera shop with a pre-launch display unit they had been sent by Nikon. Can't say I was overly impressed. Found the body too small in my hands for my personal preference and although specs seem impressive, not sure why but it left me cold.

Then in another shop got talking to the canon rep, reluctantly at first because in my mind it was truly only between D600 & D800, but they talked me through all the 5D3 features and don't why but it just felt right, excited me. As I say, purely personal impression - but that's what won me over. I thought the colours we're pleasantly more accurate than my constant feel that my d300 was slightly washed out. The D600 seemed to have the same washed out, almost slight green cast to it as well.

Only my impression. But very happy with my newly arrive 5D3. Looking forward to giving it a proper test.

As I mentioned above, any good online user guides specifically for the 5D3?

Thks,
Richard.

Mikael Risedal wrote:

Richard Innes wrote:

Hello,

Richard.

-- hide signature --

Richard, London, UK.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
7enderbender Contributing Member • Posts: 822

I wouldn't switch systems because of a camera body alone unless there are very specific features that you need and are otherwise missing.

When switching from film to digital 3 years ago I went with Canon because I liked the lens choices and pricing better. I looked into Nikon and Sony. Nothing wring with either and all systems have certain benefits and trade-offs. For 98% of use you can make either system work for you with outstanding results. I don't get why people are switching back and forth unless they're getting their stuff paid for. And even then that must be annoying. It's like when I got my new fancy laptop at work. Still adjusting to the silly mousepad and the new version of Microsoft Office. It's slowing down my work process.

Although it clearly is switching systems, I don't particularly see it that way as I have only ever had a crop sensor body (D300) and prosumer lenses. I made the decision to move to full frame and in my mind that meant new body and new lenses (better quality - investment lenses) and so I basically had a blank sheet of paper.

Canon in my mind has better body and better quality (although more expensive) lenses. People will definitely have different opinions on that, but just my opinion after a couple of months of research and trying out several different bodies and lenses.

I'm very happy with my 5D3

7enderbender wrote:

I wouldn't switch systems because of a camera body alone unless there are very specific features that you need and are otherwise missing.

When switching from film to digital 3 years ago I went with Canon because I liked the lens choices and pricing better. I looked into Nikon and Sony. Nothing wring with either and all systems have certain benefits and trade-offs. For 98% of use you can make either system work for you with outstanding results. I don't get why people are switching back and forth unless they're getting their stuff paid for. And even then that must be annoying. It's like when I got my new fancy laptop at work. Still adjusting to the silly mousepad and the new version of Microsoft Office. It's slowing down my work process.

-- hide signature --

Richard, London, UK.

zlatko Regular Member • Posts: 401

Sure, until you start photographing people. They you realize that Canon produces better color.

goshigoo wrote:

For new starter, it is clear that Nikon produce far better camera with better sensor

Great British Landscapes
Great British Landscapes Regular Member • Posts: 321
Re: Are you sure? Yes, I'm sure.

I actually thought how stupid he made himself look, no way would I make a fool of myself like that and admit to it. For a so called pro what he did was laughable.

chironNYC wrote:

LOL. But when Fred Miranda actually tried to shoot both cameras on a photo trip, he put the d800 away as unuseable and shot everything with the 5d3. Read the whole piece.

AllOtherNamesTaken wrote:

The D600 is 95% of a 5DM3 (better in some areas, too), fror $1500 less (In Canada, anyways). That buys you some very nice lenses.

Also if you care about DR at all, you may want to reconsider staying Nikon, have a look at this:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/5DIII-D800/index_controlled-tests.html

Great British Landscapes
Great British Landscapes Regular Member • Posts: 321

You mean, Nikon doesn't use the cherry red cast to make everyone look like they've had a hatful of drinks. Lol. I know which colours work for me...

zlatko wrote:

Sure, until you start photographing people. They you realize that Canon produces better color.

goshigoo wrote:

For new starter, it is clear that Nikon produce far better camera with better sensor

deep7 Contributing Member • Posts: 997

Great British Landscapes wrote:

I actually thought how stupid he made himself look, no way would I make a fool of myself like that and admit to it. For a so called pro what he did was laughable.

chironNYC wrote:

LOL. But when Fred Miranda actually tried to shoot both cameras on a photo trip, he put the d800 away as unuseable and shot everything with the 5d3. Read the whole piece.

Wow, we get it, you're obsessed with your chosen brand and can't see the advantages of another one. You'll do yourself a favour if you deal with that obsession. Your posts have lost credibility as a result. Seriously.

(I even wonder if there is a commercial reason for some of the pro-Nikon slagging in a Canon forum. Can't think of another reason for it. It's enough to make me spend less time on dpreview!)

Fact is, a lot of photographers see the Canon 5DMkIII as the best camera for their needs, for good reason. It works well, hassle free, produces very, very good images and has a good lens range to suit it. Simple!
--
Don.

A Land Rover, a camera ... I'm happy!

Mikael Risedal

be it, but it is a crappy sensor inside if you compare with Sony or Nikon made

Richard Innes wrote:

Although it clearly is switching systems, I don't particularly see it that way as I have only ever had a crop sensor body (D300) and prosumer lenses. I made the decision to move to full frame and in my mind that meant new body and new lenses (better quality - investment lenses) and so I basically had a blank sheet of paper.

Canon in my mind has better body and better quality (although more expensive) lenses. People will definitely have different opinions on that, but just my opinion after a couple of months of research and trying out several different bodies and lenses.

I'm very happy with my 5D3

7enderbender wrote:

-- hide signature --

Mikael Risedal

sure they do, they have nothing to compare against, http://www.fredmiranda.com/5DIII-D800/index_controlled-tests.html

i have shown this much earlier than fred miranda = two summers ago here at preview

d7000 against 5dmk2, 5dmk2 shown pattern noise and poor DR against a APS size sensor from Sony/Nikon

deep7 wrote:

chironNYC wrote:

Wow, we get it, you're obsessed with your chosen brand and can't see the advantages of another one. You'll do yourself a favour if you deal with that obsession. Your posts have lost credibility as a result. Seriously.

(I even wonder if there is a commercial reason for some of the pro-Nikon slagging in a Canon forum. Can't think of another reason for it. It's enough to make me spend less time on dpreview!)

Fact is, a lot of photographers see the Canon 5DMkIII as the best camera for their needs, for good reason. It works well, hassle free, produces very, very good images and has a good lens range to suit it. Simple!
--
Don.

-- hide signature --

roustabout66 Contributing Member • Posts: 703

Mikael Risedal wrote:

Only if you believe DXO mark is an indicator of image quality which many (including me) doubt. Do you REALLY think a D600 produces better images than a Phase One IQ 180?? I mean reallly!

zlatko Regular Member • Posts: 401

No, that's not what I mean, and not what I see. But I can understand that a landscape photographer would have different color preferences. I've seen better color in people photos from Canon (I used 2 Nikons for 2 months last year), and have heard the same from a number of Nikon photographers (of people), including one who came back to Canon because he is very sensitive to color and prefers Canon color.

You mean, Nikon doesn't use the cherry red cast to make everyone look like they've had a hatful of drinks. Lol. I know which colours work for me...

zlatko wrote:

goshigoo wrote:

5tve Contributing Member • Posts: 678

chironNYC wrote:

The reason there are so many Nikon trolls in this forum is that they all have acute envy of the Canon 5d3.

A Nikon troll or a Canon one what's the difference you are not qualified to talk about trolls being one yourself.

Why else would they spend so much time here? There are no similar Canon trolls in the Nikon forums, because we like our cameras.Ignore them or laugh at them, poor dim souls that they are.

The 5d3 way outsells the d800. Look at B&H photo and sort by best-selling. 5d3 is at the top of the list, the d800 barely gets included at the bottom.

The probable reason for the 5DMKIII being top of the list is the new D600 a camera with very similar image quality to the D800

Missing from the Photo.
The B&H list the Nikon D800 is 14th
Amazon US list the 5DMKIII is 17th
Amazon UK list the 5DMKIII is 30th

Best wishes to the OP with his new camera.

5tve's gear list:5tve's gear list
Nikon D7000 Sony a6000 OnePlus One
ultimitsu
ultimitsu Veteran Member • Posts: 6,650

Richard Innes wrote:

I have looked at the D600, was in my local shop playing with it over the weekend - but was not hugely impress to be honest. I think if I was going to stay Nikon then I'd go D800 (as I can actually get this cheaper than the mk3), but comparing to the mk3 I think the canon comes out on top.

Richard, I mean no offence and it is your money and you should spend it however it please you, but I would like to make a point. (and bare in mind I am a Canon 60D and 17-55 + 70-200 F4 owner).

The sole reason one normally buy expensive , especially FF camera gear, is for better image quality, normally as far as operation, ergonomics, even AF permanences goes, top end APS-C is just as good. In other words, when one is deciding between FF cameras image quality trumps all other consideration. D800 is decidedly the IQ king, D600 is now decidedly the second best, 5D3 does not even get into top 10.

So how you could dismiss D600 by just a few minutes playing with it in a shop is just puzzling.

5D3 has its market, of course, those who want fast FPS and shoot in low light constantly, but mostly 5D3's buyers are existing canon owners who can not or do not want to sell all their lenses. You are extremely lucky that you can buy a D600 without having to sell any lens, if I were you would have jumped on it 5 days.

ultimitsu
ultimitsu Veteran Member • Posts: 6,650

roustabout66 wrote:

Mikael Risedal wrote:

Only if you believe DXO mark is an indicator of image quality which many (including me) doubt.

Maybe it is better for the discussion if you explained why you think DXO is not a good IQ indicator.

Do you REALLY think a D600 produces better images than a Phase One IQ 180?? I mean reallly!

It is extremely obvious that it ought to be the case under DXO rating system.

First of all DXO score does not take super high resolution into account, you do not have to agree with it, bu you have to acknowledge it. IQ180's vast resolution advantage it therefore dismissed.

Secondly DXO score uses high iso as one of the three KPIs for rating, it is common knowledge that MF are generally terrible at high iso shooting, in comparison, nikon and canon have perfected high iso over the last 10 years. D600 is able to maintain SNR 30, with 9 stop of DR and 18bit of colour depth at iso 2900 while IQ180 can only maintain it at iso 960.

These factor, which are stated very clearly in DXOmarks site, means D600 can easily get better score than any MF cameras as long as it keeps up with them in colour depth and DR. What is surprising is that under this rating system canon is unable to make a camera that would beat these MF camera with terrible iso score.

deep7 Contributing Member • Posts: 997

Mikael Risedal wrote:

sure they do, they have nothing to compare against, http://www.fredmiranda.com/5DIII-D800/index_controlled-tests.html

i have shown this much earlier than fred miranda = two summers ago here at preview

d7000 against 5dmk2, 5dmk2 shown pattern noise and poor DR against a APS size sensor from Sony/Nikon

deep7 wrote:

--
Don.

Yeah, and I've seen pattern noise in Nikon photos and those from other cameras too.

Just imagine, for a second, that you are a photographer who is interested in the whole experience of photography, the handling, lens quality and availability, focus, reliability, tones, colour, highlight control, noise control, viewfinder etc. etc.. ONE thing that may interest you is how well you can push shadows, either because you exposed badly or you have a need to cover an unusually large dynamic range (and lets be frank - all DSLRs have plenty of DR for most situations). Well, great, in that ONE instance, the newer Sony sensors can help. You get less noise and less banding but you still get artefacts; flat, lifeless dull shadows being the most obvious. Look at all the photos posted on the internet showing off how you can pull shadows, especially in photos underexposed to protect those all-important highlights.

Sure, it's a good thing to have more of this shadow thing but put it in perspective. If a camera isn't better in other areas that interest you, it's costing you to get this feature (which is easily overcome in most cases anyway). So, if someone prefers a 5DIII to something else, that person is getting a better package. In the case of the D800, the package seems to be a high resolution sensor (which brings costs in itself) with good shadow control with everything else equal or falling short.
--
Don.

roustabout66 Contributing Member • Posts: 703

Thank you very much, you just verified my point. It may SCORE better but it does not take better IMAGES. That is why I place NO relevance on DXO when choosing a camera. Download test images from reputable test sites, print them and use your own eyes to decide.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads