SD1M shooting like a DP2M?

Started Sep 17, 2012 | Discussions
larryj Veteran Member • Posts: 9,711
SD1M shooting like a DP2M?

I reviewed a few random shots made with the SD1M using the 24-70mm lens set a 30 mm. This simulates the DP2M focal length and the results make me wonder if I really need a DP2M (except for the lighter weight ;O)> .)

Photographing a photographer at work:

Looks pretty good to me!
--
Cheers,
larryj

If you can see the light, you can photograph it
Quote from Myron Woods

larryj's gear list:larryj's gear list
Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art +1 more
Sigma DP2 Sigma SD1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Tom Schum
Tom Schum Veteran Member • Posts: 6,420
Re: SD1M shooting like a DP2M?

Exactly! Not only this, but with the SD1M you can change the lenses!

I have a SD1 and a DP2 (non-M) and the fixed focal length of the DP2 basically drove me up the wall, leading to purchase of a SD15 and then SD1.

Sure, the focusing of the SD1 leaves much to be desired, but with good focus the SD1 keeps up with the DP series just fine, as you have shown.
--
Tom Schum

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh WG-4 GPS Fujifilm X30 Sigma dp0 Quattro +9 more
SigmaChrome Veteran Member • Posts: 9,344

They look pretty good to me too, Larry - although maybe only for photographers who are taking photos of photographers.

-- hide signature --

Regards,

Vitée

Capture all the light and colour!

http://www.pbase.com/vitee/galleries

SigmaChrome's gear list:SigmaChrome's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX100 Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp0 Quattro +18 more
Carl Schofield Senior Member • Posts: 2,613

The SD1 shots look great Larry.
--
Carl
TheDailySnap: http://www.blipfoto.com/SchoPhoto

Carl Schofield's gear list:Carl Schofield's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm X100F Sony Alpha 7R Pentax 645Z Sony Alpha 7 II +1 more
SandyF Forum Pro • Posts: 14,941

Yes, they look very DP2Merrill-ish.

What is SO pleasant with the DP2Merrill is the light weight and small size, compared with a DSLR, but still packing in all that detail

Best regards, Sandy
http://www.pbase.com/sandyfleischman (archival)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandyfleischmann (current, we're off to Tennessee tomorrow....)

SandyF's gear list:SandyF's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP1 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill +7 more
OP larryj Veteran Member • Posts: 9,711
Thanks everyone for the kind comments.

I think carefully composed shots the 24-70 mm lens set at 30 mm on the SD1M can produce images to rival the output from the DP2M. (just trying to talk myself out of getting one) ;O)> .
--
Cheers,
larryj

Quote from Myron Woods

Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art +1 more
desinteresadamente Regular Member • Posts: 264
Re: Thanks everyone for the kind comments.

larryj wrote:

I think carefully composed shots the 24-70 mm lens set at 30 mm on the SD1M can produce images to rival the output from the DP2M. (just trying to talk myself out of getting one) ;O)> .
--
Cheers,
larryj

Quote from Myron Woods

Larry you are the one and only who has reached truly foveon look with the sd1, your images are a joy to see and i feel the foveon every capture i see.
Is there any secret?
congrats

Thanks desinteresadam...:

Thanks for the nice comments about my photographs, they are very much appreciated. The only secret I have to share is that I let the camera and sensor do what they were designed to do .. capture all the light. I do not do any fanciful adjustment of the SPP sliders, just leaving them at their default values. I do any adjustments to the files in Lightroom or Photoshop. I try the best I can to recreate the scene as I saw it at the time of capture. In most cases this processing is quite simple as the files out of the Sigma cameras are very rich in color and DR.
--
Cheers,
larryj

Quote from Myron Woods

yukoner2
yukoner2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,767

Your images are truly a testament to the ability of the SD1 Larry.
Keep 'em coming.

-- hide signature --

http://www.normhamilton.ca
http://www.yukonphotographers.com/Norm-Hamilton
Norm Hamilton
'Yukon. A special place in Northern Canada'
Ya gotta come and see!

Thanks for the comments Norm:

I think I am finally getting the hang of this beast! I finally relaxed and just let the camera do what it does best and started to enjoy the ride, rather then trying to make it shoot what (or the way) I want it to shoot. (I do not know if that make sense, but it works for me!)
--
Cheers,
larryj

Quote from Myron Woods

Craig Philips Regular Member • Posts: 220
rival the DP2M?

Hi Larry,

It's great to see that the new DP2M performs so well--obviously it has an exceptional lens/sensor combo. But as you've demonstrated very well, the SD1M doesn't take a back seat in image quality.

To further your point, here's a close-up of a man's face from Sigma's DP2M gallery (below left--it's sharpness was characterized by a Sony user [moimoi] as 'mind blowing' just an hour ago; to the right is a face shot, like your images, with a zoom (in this case the older, pre OS, pre HSM 17-70) on the SD1M. It appears to me equally sharp.

regards, Craig

(I hope Sigma's new 17-70 performs up to this standard!)

pixel_peeper Regular Member • Posts: 178

Everything has the Foveon look if we down-size it enough. If we could see these pictures full size, I doubt that they would look as sharp at the margins as the DP2/M. I'd get the SD1M with the 70 and the new 105, but use the DP2M for normal focal length, and the DP2M with a panoramic gimbal head (just a Nodal Ninja?) for the wide stuff.

Craig Philips Regular Member • Posts: 220
reply to pixel-peeper

As I perhaps should have pointed out, both faces I pictured were 100% crops from DP2M and SD1M images.

Re: reply to pixel-peeper

Things got a bit garbled here. I was referring to the OP's pictures, not the portraits, but my reply (which had the right heading for a reply to the OP) was slotted in below the two portraits (which had a different heading). The forum might work better if posts with the same headings were kept together.

I get the impression that there aren't many lenses for the SD1 that do justice to its sensor, as the DP2M's 30mm lens clearly does. For example, in DPR's studio test pictures for the SD1 (which I guess is with the 50mm f1.4 stopped down to about f8) kill all the SD1's rivals in the centre, but are no better than the others near the margins. The 50mm f1.4 does not appear to be good enough for the SD1's sensor at the margins, even at f8. I doubt any of the wides and wide/normal zooms are either. I'm sure the 70mm is fine, and DPR's SD1 sample pictures of the Tower of London and the Dome of St Pauls with the new 105mm look pretty good. The arcade shot with the 150mm is also good. However, there is more than a hint of magneta fringing in much of the left side in the St Pauls picture. The DP1M's 18mm seems to have that problem too.
Most of the pictures I'm referring to are here:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sigmasd1/21

While you are there, have a look at full size at the view across the Thames towards "the Gherkin" with the normal zoom at f8. It's sharp in the centre but rubbish at the sides.

pca7070
pca7070 Forum Member • Posts: 86
SD1M+17-50 vs DPxM

I compared my SD1M+17-50 F2.8 with DP1M and DP2M (all at F5.6). DP1M and DP2M are a little sharper in the edges and colors are a bit different.

SD1M+17+50 at 19mm (original:

;):

DP1M (original:

;):

SD1M+17-50 at 30mm (original:

;):

DP2M (original:

;):

pca7070's gear list:pca7070's gear list
Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Apple iPhone 7
Re: SD1M+17-50 vs DPxM

Thanks for that comparison of the 17-50, DP1M and DP2M. Your 17-50 is pretty good. It beats that DP1 in the bottom right corner!

But the DP2M lens is brilliant. I've looked at images from quite a few samples now, and haven't noticed any sample variation or decentring. Apart from a bit of lateral CA every one seems to be perfect.

pca7070
pca7070 Forum Member • Posts: 86
Re: SD1M+17-50 vs DPxM

Decentering seems very unusual for DP1M/DP2M.
I‘ve sold the 17-50 since I have both DP1M and DP2M.

pca7070's gear list:pca7070's gear list
Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Apple iPhone 7
gusda9
gusda9 Forum Member • Posts: 89

pic 1 is fantastic so clear

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads