I cannot believe I am asking this.....

Started Sep 16, 2012 | Discussions
Balthazar B Forum Member • Posts: 89
Re: I cannot believe I am asking this.....

Since you've already broached anathema by bringing up a Sony product in a Fuji forum, I'll just add that the 16-50 may be a significantly better travel lens paired with a NEX than the 18-200, if only because it's a pancake and can be carried in pocket with a NEX (and may be smaller/lighter than an X100). And the 2mm difference at the wide end can make quite a difference on European streets and alleys.

It has been very rare for me to need/want a tele lens when I've been traveling, but then I travel light. If I were to take a 16-50 and wanted to be fully covered, I suppose I'd schlep along the 55-210. But I doubt I'd often, if ever, use it.

MrFlash Contributing Member • Posts: 768

The guy who insists that you take a NEX and a superzoom - hee, hee. Like you are going to travel all the way to Italy just to return home with a bunch of fuzzy pictures.

I say just take the x100. The ability to travel without lugging around the big bag is liberating. I doubt you will miss many, if any shots.

I bought an x100 and then the XP1 with the three lenses, but I still have my 5DII and 'L' zooms. Most of my photos are travel related. I haven't taken the Canon bag out of the closet in a couple of months. I'm considering selling the lot.
-
--
MrFlash

MrFlash's gear list:MrFlash's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR +3 more
Daniel from Bavaria Contributing Member • Posts: 849
First time venice and only X100 ... ?

Hi,

I have been in Venice several times, so meanwhile I would dare to just pick one focal length, as I have photographed a lot there

In your case: 5dmkII with 24-105 and the X100, thats all. One speedlight is also more than suitable and expect it to be more in your hotel-room.

I really would love to explore Venice again only with the X100 (sold and missing) or now with my XP1 and the coming 1.4 23, but first time Venice and only X100 - no, you may be a bit unhappy with it.

Regards,
Daniel

Some photos from Salzburg - only with X100. It was a delight, but again, I know Salzburgh quite well and it is not far from my home...

Daniel from Bavaria's gear list:Daniel from Bavaria's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Carl Zeiss Planar T* 2/50 ZM Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +4 more
Balthazar B Forum Member • Posts: 89

MrFlash wrote:

The guy who insists that you take a NEX and a superzoom - hee, hee. Like you are going to travel all the way to Italy just to return home with a bunch of fuzzy pictures.

I say just take the x100. The ability to travel without lugging around the big bag is liberating. I doubt you will miss many, if any shots.

I bought an x100 and then the XP1 with the three lenses, but I still have my 5DII and 'L' zooms. Most of my photos are travel related. I haven't taken the Canon bag out of the closet in a couple of months. I'm considering selling the lot.
-
--
MrFlash

If the choice was only between an X100 and a 5D, I'd go with the X100 without question. However, there are other choices. I'm looking to replace my trusty Lumix LX5 with either a NEX-6 or an X-E1, either of which will be vastly better in terms of IQ and versatility, though not size. However, I want the smallest and most flexible setup I can get. It will come down to the Sony with the new 16-50 pancake, or the Fuji with the 18mm prime...although the 23mm or 27mm primes coming next year would be better, as would the 10-24mm zoom. It'll come down to handling both cameras and seeing how the lenses turn out in terms of quality. It'll be a tough tradeoff if the Fuji has better IQ and handling, but can't be so easily carried, or the Sony is great in terms of portability but is lacking in other areas. I guess I'll be waiting until November to find out.

vicfei Regular Member • Posts: 146

Go for the best of both worlds - the X-E1 with the 18-55 zoom. Only caveat is if it comes on the market in time before you go on your trip. X sensor quality with a Fuji zoom sounds like the convenient and practical way to go...

Vic

JSTB Regular Member • Posts: 262
Re: X100

Exactly what he said. Why ruin your vacation with your family lugging around a bunch of photo gear.

If I was going I would either take the X100 or the X Pro 35/18 combo. Or maybe the X100 and X Pro + 35. But just the X100 would be fine.

Have a great time!!! Beautiful city.

liquid stereo wrote:
I've been to Venice twice and both times I took my 17-35.
If I had the X100 I would take that.

Don't be a photo/gear nerd and ruin your vacation carrying all that crap.

jameas wrote:

I always cringe when I see members post questions like "what lens should I take to wherever I'm going.....". I cannot help thinking that surely (if the individual has a number of lenses to choose from) they would have a good idea what they should take given their traveling conditions - a decision that must be taken every time they leave the house/caravan/motorhome/house boat etc..

I cannot believe that any city/town/place would command "such and such lens" in order to reach the photographic nirvana to be so desired.

So here is my dilemma. We (i.e. the family - Mr and Mrs E and girl,15 and boy, 11) are off to Venice for five days in late October. Should I (as I would usually do) take my 5DII and (lens selection made on the basis on low payload) the 24-105 (general use) and Sigma 50mm 1.4 (evening, low light - and lighter lens) - I can feel myself running away with my self here - or...........

Just take the X100.

And just for maximum creativity, (just one) speedlite (430EXII over the 580EXII), ND2-400 filter, Yongnuo RF-600TX/RF-602RX wireless transmitter/receiver and a light tripod.

I know. I can hear you all say it. 35mm lens.

"It will make you a better photographer" versus "but you will need to zoom and change lenses"

Frankly, I think I an looking forward to some freedom. And becoming a better photographer.....

Be kind.

Clayton1985 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,901

It looks like I'm in the minority but there is no way I'd make that trip with only the X100. Sometimes too much is made of the weight and bulk of a DSLR system while other times it is valid. Take both the X100 and the DSLR gear and decide what to take out each time based on what you are doing.

The real question might be ... if you don't take the 5DII for this trip what are the other situations where you would use it? If the answer is that you are finding that you don't take it anywhere then maybe it's time to sell and get a mirrorless system to go with your X100.

boinkphoto
boinkphoto Contributing Member • Posts: 989

I'm with you. I've never found too much gear (especially in the pretty limited quantities described) as "spoiling my trip".

It would spoil my trip to miss a lot of great photos just because I didn't want to get too weighed down by kit.

Then again, I leave equipment back in the hotel when I want to. There's nothing saying that you have to cart it everywhere...

-- hide signature --
 boinkphoto's gear list:boinkphoto's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-E2S Fujifilm X-T2
boinkphoto
boinkphoto Contributing Member • Posts: 989
The sort of oxymoron of tyros going light...

I don't say this in reference to this particular post, but it is a good segway:

I don't know about the rest of you, but since you're on DPreview, there's a good chance you're like me in that you've collected a lot of nice camera equipment.

So, you've got the 70-200 f2.8 and maybe the 24-70mm f2.8, and the bomber pro-body, some good heavy primes (105mm f2.8 macro), 50mm f1.4, etc. Then the flashes, the extra body, the tripod and so on.

Yet, when it comes to travel, you're thinking (and this is me too ) "I'd like to go light". You then end up going with some wonky distorted super zoom, or maybe a small P&S, or limited good equipment where you wish you had your longer zoom, or something else to "keep it light".

But the dumb thing is - well, isn't heading to the exotic place exactly where I want the kick-ass lenses? Isn't it where I want my best body?

Anyway, again I struggle with this too - often the best camera equipment stays home because it's "too heavy". But if it's going to stay home, well, what's it's purpose? To say you have it? To shoot your kids?

That sort of seems to miss the whole point of picking up all this expensive stuff...

-- hide signature --
 boinkphoto's gear list:boinkphoto's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-E2S Fujifilm X-T2
TitusXIII
TitusXIII Regular Member • Posts: 449
Re: The sort of oxymoron of tyros going light...

I travel to Mexico a lot, sometimes for months at the time.

Back in '09 and '10 I only had the D80 with the 18-135 (27-202.5 equiv), last year I only had the GF1 with the 14-45 (28-90 equiv).

Looking at what I've got posted on flickr I find that the great majority of the shots were taken at the wide ends and I don't think I've shot anything past the 50% range on either kit.
I would only take the X100 with a WCL-100 and nothing else, no tripod either.

On long trips it would make sense to carry extra gear, not so on a very short trip.

PS:

It is really low class posting pictures taken with another camera in the Fuji forum.

my flickr flicks:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/titus13/

TitusXIII's gear list:TitusXIII's gear list
Pentax Optio W90 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon PowerShot S110 Ricoh GR Nikon D80 +5 more
Ross Kennedy Regular Member • Posts: 300
Re: ????

"It is really low class posting pictures taken with another camera in the Fuji forum."

Shame on me..I'm guess I'm very "low class" for posting a Nikon pic.

What a bizarre comment.

OP jameas Forum Member • Posts: 97
Re: Putting your quandry another way...

Thanks Tommygun45 but the question was X100 or DSLR. Happy with both setups so not in the market for more hardware.
--
Sometimes I get the urge to use Flickr....
James T Eastwood

Exactly. Different if perhaps away from the city.
--
James T Eastwood

I'm liking this. X100 maybe better for people/candids etc.
--
James T Eastwood

Spare batteries are a must (I have two clone spares that hold their own with the fiji). Off camera flash and wireless receiver/transmitter will give me something to play with (loving the Strobist blog) as will the VND filter and small tripod. We are staying in an old apartment centrally so should be able to nip our early/late for a bit of creativity.....
--
James T Eastwood

Point well made - drop the 50 and take the X100 for evening/low light. Hmm one for thought...
--
James T Eastwood

As I said above the question is X100 or DSLR. I bought the X100 fully understanding the fixed 35mm lens position. Looking at the Sony and the 18-200 and I can't help thinking I may as well take the 5DII and 24-105......
--
James T Eastwood

Thanks Vic but my choice is limited to the X100 and 5DII
--
James T Eastwood

Ah ha - the "elephant in the room" question. Not considering leaving the DSLR at this stage - the X100 does not cover all of my needs and not convinced the mirrorless route is ready for DSLR abandonment - although I guess the time will come! No one thought that their film bodies and (in many cases) lenses would be overtaken by digital (and yes I know there is still a vibrant user base of film - I speak generally).

Its really the city and street photography thing. I do not have urge to take the standard tourist shots (as another post pointed out Venice has been shot to death) so maybe the X100 will suffice.....
--
James T Eastwood

Re: The sort of oxymoron of tyros going light...

Exactly. I have never been one to leave my DSLR or lenses at home due to shooting conditions (sand/mud/people etc.) as I have always believed that having spend good cash on the equipment it should be used.

But this one is different. Never had a choice before where I know I can get good images out of a smaller alternative to my usual kit.

-- hide signature --

James T Eastwood

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads