HVL-F43AM for Nex 6?

Started Sep 14, 2012 | Discussions
DavidB2 Regular Member • Posts: 315
HVL-F43AM for Nex 6?

Can anyone tell if the HVL-F43AM flash is compatible with the Nex 6? Sony's site only shows a single flash -- a not yet released model that is bigger & more expensive -- as compatible with the Nex 6.

I find it interesting that there are so few threads here about using a flash with the Nex cameras. What do you all do indoors?! Is no one using a flash because they are too big/awkward with the Nex bodies?

DavidB2's gear list:DavidB2's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Nikon D7200 Sony Alpha 7R II Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D +19 more
FotoMc New Member • Posts: 7
Re: HVL-F43AM for Nex 6?

DavidB2 wrote:

I find it interesting that there are so few threads here about using a flash with the Nex cameras. What do you all do indoors?! Is no one using a flash because they are too big/awkward with the Nex bodies?

I use this:

I can't say if it will work on a Nex-6 though.

Fredy Ross Veteran Member • Posts: 6,793

Yes inotice on the sony site that the new flash is compatible with the nex 6. A friend is going to photokina and hopefully they will have one to try and I asked her to report back as we are both buying the nex 6. Hopefully they will have a model there for people to try with the nex 6.
--
fredyr

martindesu
martindesu Senior Member • Posts: 1,245

FotoMc wrote:

DavidB2 wrote:

I use this:

I can't say if it will work on a Nex-6 though.

That looks gorgeous.

What flash is it?

-- hide signature --
 martindesu's gear list:martindesu's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +1 more
FotoMc New Member • Posts: 7

martindesu wrote:

What flash is it?

HVL-F43AM

wkramer Forum Member • Posts: 67

All Sony mount flashes will need an adapter in order to use them on the Nex 6. The flash mount has been changed to a standard flash mount.

wkramer's gear list:wkramer's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Epson Stylus Pro 3880 +5 more
OP DavidB2 Regular Member • Posts: 315

That's disappointing. How strange for Sony to change its hot shoe and then only come out with a single compatible flash -- one that costs $550. I wonder if there are/will be 3rd party flashes to fill the gap that will work well with the camera (i.e., not just on manual).

DavidB2's gear list:DavidB2's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Nikon D7200 Sony Alpha 7R II Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D +19 more
perry rhodan
perry rhodan Senior Member • Posts: 1,662

There will be a new midrange flash for the new iso shoe from sony. Expect the announcement in two weeks.

Regards P

icycool123 Regular Member • Posts: 166

Theres an adaptor for the nex 6 for use with the older flashes and it should be released soon.

Meanwhile i use an external flash with my nex 7. hvl-43

José B
José B Forum Pro • Posts: 18,361

icycool123 wrote:

Theres an adaptor for the nex 6 for use with the older flashes and it should be released soon.

Meanwhile i use an external flash with my nex 7. hvl-43

Thanks for sharing your setup----wow, even the mid-range flash still looks huge and I don't even use legacy lenses on my NEX-6.

Cheers,

José

José B's gear list:José B's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Canon EOS 5DS +11 more
pmow
pmow Contributing Member • Posts: 823

Wouldn't the ISO hotshoe permit you to use any flash?

Is the reason an expensive Sony flash is needed because the ISO mount doesn't support TTL?

Inquiring mindsnoobs want to know.

pmow's gear list:pmow's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +3 more
Jchen195
Jchen195 Forum Member • Posts: 57
Glenn Veteran Member • Posts: 7,874

is the flash head facing forwards ? it can't do HSS with the flash pointed anywhere except forward is the only thing I can think of. I checked and your camera can do HSS with that flash .. or it's supposed to anyway

Jchen195
Jchen195 Forum Member • Posts: 57

Absolutely perfect!

I rarely shoot with the flash facing forward, but I angled the head down and the HSS icon showed up.

Thanks!

kaku Contributing Member • Posts: 630

What wireless trigger is that if I may inquire?

Glenn Veteran Member • Posts: 7,874

That is a pixel Soldier TF-373. the same ones I use.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads