When did the forum turn into this?

Started Sep 14, 2012 | Discussions
like a user Senior Member • Posts: 1,009
When did the forum turn into this?

This forum has become a tougher place I think.
Not sure but I think it got worse after D800 release .
Not sure D600 will help.
This about sums it up now.
Still insults always work better than reasoned argument don t they ....

like a user's gear list:like a user's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED +1 more
Nikon D600 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Rick Knepper
Rick Knepper Forum Pro • Posts: 16,330
Welcome to the Internet

Every unmoderated gear forum I have ever been on, photogrpahy related or no, devolves into a bar room fight most days.

The best diversion is to see how many Straw Man, Ad Hominem, Red Herring, slippery slope & non sequiturs you can identify in a single thread.

like a user wrote:

Not sure D600 will help.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Pentax 645Z Canon EOS 5DS R Fujifilm GFX 50S Pentax smc D FA 645 55mm F2.8 AL (IF) SDM AW Pentax DA645 28-45mm F4.5 +8 more
Tim the Grey Veteran Member • Posts: 6,310
Re: When did the forum turn into this?

I'm new here, having moved over from the Olympus forum.

It ALWAYS seemed like a Rugby Scrum in either Canon or Nikon fora, to tender little me!

As said above, any internet forum has trolls and fanboys oozing from every thread.

Me? I could care less if you choose a Canikon over a PeSOly, be happy, take great pictures. I come here for a bit of advice, and research into glass, etc.

8^)

-- hide signature --

The world's best Vulcan, XH558, after 14 years on the ground, lives again.
http://www.tvoc.co.uk
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandfish_imagining/

Marcin 3M
Marcin 3M Senior Member • Posts: 1,598
We need "Nikon (Canon/Sony/Pentax...) problems forum...

Leaving room on the main fora for all "pros" and "experts" sharing photos of theirs pets.

BTW, I'm sure, that these birds are there for some unlucky user of D800 with LAF problems
--
Marcin_3M

Marcin 3M's gear list:Marcin 3M's gear list
Epson Stylus Pro 3880 Adobe Photoshop CS6 Nik Capture NX Phase One Capture One Pro Portrait Professional Studio 64 +1 more
John_I Veteran Member • Posts: 6,330

like a user wrote:

Not sure D600 will help.

Having worked as a network coordinator for a company with a large number of "professional" discussion forums I would say that forums can be tough places as you say.

That said, best results occur ...

When members do not reply to non productive posts. They die through "aging" of messages.

Just ignore threads members who do not contribute messages of value to you.

Respond positively as colleagues to messages for help or comment with your experience and advice.

Finally. Become or continue to be a constructive contributor posting value added comments, observations and original messages.

Best wishes and thanks for all the information, help and encouragement posted daily in these forums. The forums have certainly contributed to my ever developing knowledge and skills in photography.
--
John from Toronto
JBIPix Photoblog - http://jbipix.com

OP like a user Senior Member • Posts: 1,009

Yeah it s the advice bit that seems to be missing now and once was so vital.
I no longer have brand loyalty.

I use what I need. Canon {for the vulture shot,} and Nikon and Fuji X100 as back up.

so I dip into many "fora" and as I m "on the fence" over getting D800 and waiting to see how D600 turned out I ve been here mostly, but increasingly think "whoa".
Thought as it s Friday , I d lighten the mood.

Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED +1 more
Karl H. Timmerman M.A.J.D.
Karl H. Timmerman M.A.J.D. Veteran Member • Posts: 5,056

(smiling) ... certainly good advice, John ... especially since stupidity is either not painful ... or ... some posters have access to excellent pain meds.
Warm regards
KarlT
--
Karl H.Timmerman M.A.J.D.
BLOG: http://www.karltimmerman.com/Ramblings/
'The best part of taking the moral highground ...... is the view'.

phototrope Contributing Member • Posts: 669
Re: Welcome to the Internet

Rick Knepper wrote:

The best diversion is to see how many Straw Man, Ad Hominem, Red Herring, slippery slope & non sequiturs you can identify in a single thread.

Laughed out loud !

-- hide signature --

"The job of the photographer is not to record indisputable fact but to try to be coherent about intuition and hope."
-- Robert Adams

Someday I will Junior Member • Posts: 27
The problem is: this is a rich amateurs forum

And rich amateurs have too much money and too much free time on their hands, so they discuss endlessly that "mine is bigger than yours".

I would bet there aren't any pros on Dpreview forums, because pros are too busy taking pictures and not interested on silly debates.

Re: The problem is: this is a rich amateurs forum

I would bet there aren't any pros on Dpreview forums

"Cough cough" Ehhhh I wouldn t be too sure about that....

beshannon Veteran Member • Posts: 4,216

Someday I will wrote:

And rich amateurs have too much money and too much free time on their hands, so they discuss endlessly that "mine is bigger than yours".

The problem is not money, it is the anonimity of the internet and the complete lack of any moderation.

I am on many forums, this is the only one I am aware of where the posted rules of the forum are violated on a daily basis. Ergo, this is what the forum becomes and it is clearly what the website owners want.

beshannon's gear list:beshannon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Sigma DP2s Leica V-Lux (Typ 114) Nikon D800E Nikon 1 J4 +3 more

While I accept there is a certain amount of
"All the gear ,but no idea"

Often those who can t take a pic to save their lives or have any kind of "eye" take pleasure from having the latest / most expensive gear and talking about it ,thats harmless enough.

The information can be extremely useful and every purchase I ve made recently, has been after "researching" on here .

As it is the "wo/man in the street" and not a paid reviewer who in many cases {not here} has less experience knowledge than your average poster, I can hear "real world " experience and thats invaluable.

It s when they express an opinion with no photos posted {ever} to back it up and just resort to insults {very quickly} .

Once I was accused of being a paid stooge of an alternative camera company, when it strays into that level of paranoia ,well.......

glo Senior Member • Posts: 1,752

Nice photo by the way!
glo

glo's gear list:glo's gear list
Leica M Monochrom (Typ 246) Nikon D3X Leica M Typ 240 Nikon D4S Nikon D810 +27 more
mlewan Senior Member • Posts: 1,350

The remedy against the vulture mentality is to ignore the aggressive users. The vultures are usually repeat offenders, who fairly easily can be removed with the ignore button.

My own main problem with the forum is the amount of rumour and purchase related posts. Questions like: "What does everyone think the ISO of the D400 will be like compared to the D5?" or "At which shop in Muskegon do I get the best service?" That kind of questions may have some validity, but they do not interest me.

I would much rather see posts about using the cameras - no matter at which level. I prefer yet another "RAW vs. JPEG" post over any rumour post. Even better are of course questions about unusual situations, like what tricks can be used when shooting a concert with strobe lights.

However, posts about actually using the cameras drown in the deluge of rumour posts. I have not found any way to get around that.

Glo - Thanks.
Should ve shot some video at the same time ....
It s always a rush to get the "still" first tho.

It was almost comical, believe it or not {not for the zebra, tho I think he d lost interest hours before}
it s hard not to anthropomorphise .
I blame Disney.

InTheMist
InTheMist Veteran Member • Posts: 3,078

That's why I hang out at Nikoncafe mostly now. People here can really be jackals with "sorry I could take that on my iPhone" and "learn how to photograph" comments and personal attacks running rampid, moderation is on the toilet.

I have the same user name there. Say hi when you get fed up here.

Nice photo.
--
Ridicule is not C&C nor is it being helpful nor "stating your opinion"
http://www.flickr.com/InTheMist

InTheMist's gear list:InTheMist's gear list
Leica M Monochrom (Typ 246) Leica M-Monochrom Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 +18 more
Photo Pete Veteran Member • Posts: 4,194
Re: Welcome to the Internet

Rick Knepper wrote:

Every unmoderated gear forum I have ever been on, photogrpahy related or no, devolves into a bar room fight most days.

Then you should stop visiting the forums and allow the discussions there to continue in a more gentlemanly manner. What's more I have never been into a bar room where there has been a fight, so I find your argument rather weak, particularly as you openly admit in your signature that you are a non-professional photographer. Suggesting that all forums should be heavily moderated in order to prevent arguments is just silly, and will almost certainly lead to the demise of internet forums and freedom of speech in general. Which obviously leads me to conclude that the D800 left side AF problem does actually exist.

Oops!

-- hide signature --

Have Fun
Photo Pete

nonuniform Regular Member • Posts: 468

This is the single best description of how to be a valuable member of an online community.

Thanks for reminding us!

John_I wrote:

Having worked as a network coordinator for a company with a large number of "professional" discussion forums I would say that forums can be tough places as you say.

That said, best results occur ...

When members do not reply to non productive posts. They die through "aging" of messages.

Just ignore threads members who do not contribute messages of value to you.

Respond positively as colleagues to messages for help or comment with your experience and advice.

Finally. Become or continue to be a constructive contributor posting value added comments, observations and original messages.

Best wishes and thanks for all the information, help and encouragement posted daily in these forums. The forums have certainly contributed to my ever developing knowledge and skills in photography.
--
John from Toronto
JBIPix Photoblog - http://jbipix.com

nonuniform's gear list:nonuniform's gear list
Sony a7R III
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads