Published: Our Sony SLT-A57 review

Started Sep 14, 2012 | Discussions
thubleau7 Contributing Member • Posts: 516
Re: clear image comment in summary

I think the point with the Clearview is well documented it is just a case of whether you want to do this by twirling a knob and pushing a button in camera or whether you do it when in CS5 ,its a better option to crop because then you can decide where to crop rather than just accept what you frame in camera

Tubal Contributing Member • Posts: 709
Re: Published: Our Sony SLT-A57 review

You have quickly become the most annoying ignorant poster on the Sony Forums. I only wish ignore would ignore you completely, and not just grey out your post.

From the score page: http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Guides/dpreview_scores_and_ratings_01.htm

We've created two new awards (Gold and Silver) to replace the retiring 'Recommended' and 'Highly Recommended' gongs. There are only two things to know about the awards:

They are not awarded to every camera, just those we feel deserve one

There is no direct link between the overall score and the awards: they are not given automatically to cameras reaching a certain threshold. Crucially a camera can get an award even if a camera with a higher overall score didn't.

Tubal's gear list:Tubal's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 Sony 28mm F2.8 +10 more
seilerbird666
seilerbird666 Senior Member • Posts: 1,101

Tubal wrote:

You have quickly become the most annoying ignorant poster on the Sony Forums. I only wish ignore would ignore you completely, and not just grey out your post.

+1
--
My photos:
picasaweb.google.com/seilerbird

cgarrard
cgarrard Forum Pro • Posts: 15,423
Man...

The flack that DPR take. They simply cannot win with some of you.

Other than that I am just left speechless for now.

well that makes alot of sense...........not..............just leave your logic at the door and take small steps in case you fall over a straight line or cause more brain damage to half the brain you still have.

dr jim Veteran Member • Posts: 6,199

"There is no direct link between the overall score and the awards: they are not given automatically to cameras reaching a certain threshold. Crucially a camera can get an award even if a camera with a higher overall score didn't."

What part of this confuses you?
--
Just for fun!

Jim

dr jim's gear list:dr jim's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 IV Sony a6000 Olympus OM-D E-M10 III Olympus E-M1 II +16 more
NPPhoto Senior Member • Posts: 1,084
Keep it up man...

Way to suck up, I mean come to DPR's aid. They must need a spokesperson so badly to defend themselves.
--
Nick P

Dave Oddie Veteran Member • Posts: 4,109

thubleau7 wrote:

I think the point with the Clearview is well documented it is just a case of whether you want to do this by twirling a knob and pushing a button in camera or whether you do it when in CS5 ,its a better option to crop because then you can decide where to crop rather than just accept what you frame in camera

As the review says:

"This function's only real benefit compared to upsampling in Photoshop is convenience."

I get that and that was exactly my point. If you want a 2x digital zoom because your lens is not long enough that is what you want and being able to see the effect in the VF does in my opinion mean you are framing the shot as you want it to be with not need to PP afterwards.

Otherwise we may as well all shoot at 16mm or whatever and crop every image. I am exaggerating of course but hopefully you get my point.

Dave Oddie's gear list:Dave Oddie's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 30mm F2.8 Macro SAM Sony DT 11-18mm F4.5-5.6 Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM +5 more
Bosman71 Junior Member • Posts: 47

Still happy with the very nice A580 and see no reason to change. Glad to see that Sony is on the right way with their slt cameras. By the time I need an update I will be happy to stay with Sony.

chlamchowder Senior Member • Posts: 2,083
What would you prefer

Way to suck up, I mean come to DPR's aid. They must need a spokesperson so badly to defend themselves.

Of course, it'd be great if reviewers put their reviews out really quickly. It'd also be great if reviewers would spend a significant amount of time to become acquainted with the product and getting a feel for how it handles in a wide variety of situations.

However, these two ideals are in direct conflict: If a review is put out quickly, the reviewer didn't spend much time with the camera, or is basing the review mostly off a pre-production example. Spending more time with the camera isn't desirable because people want to know how new products perform so that purchasing decisions can be made. So what should DPR choose?

I think there's a third option, which is to put down a fairly detailed review quickly (from a pre-production example). Then, keep using the production model, and add or change the initial review periodically. That way, people anxious to read a review would be happy, and people interested in seeing how a camera handles in the long term would also be satisfied (the waiting part is inevitable, though - it takes time to get experience).

Also, whenever I see quick positive reviews of new cameras, I wonder whether the reviewers suffer from the 'new toy' syndrome. Whenever I handle a new camera (that doesn't have obvious flaws), I always think it's awesome for the first few months. I might even praise it in front of other people. After using it for a while, though, I become less forgiving as the 'new toy' effect wears off. I wonder if the same happens with reviewers.

chlamchowder's gear list:chlamchowder's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Nikon D600 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +8 more
OP Amadou Diallo Forum Member • Posts: 78
Re: What would you prefer

One thing we're looking to implement in the near future is a kind of 'rolling' review. The previews will stay as they are, because that's precisely the level of info we can accurately give in the usual 2 day lead time we have with a pre-prod camera. The idea is to add to the 'preview' the test data and analysis as they're completed, essentially adding in, one at a time, the usual pages of our in-depth reviews. At the end, you'd have the whole review plus scoring. Still have logistical issues to work out, but we recognize there are alternatives to the preview-then-nothing-until-6-weeks-later process.

Of course there will still be times, like with the A57 when we have to prioritize our review resources. But the aim is to give you guys access to information faster, while still maintaining our high standards.
--
Amadou Diallo
dpreview.com

sensibill
sensibill Veteran Member • Posts: 5,401

I'm OK with how long this review took. There were a lot of other cameras and DPR has stated in the past that revision models like this don't sometimes take as much of a precedent.

As a former Samsung user, the total snub of the NX100, NX11, NX5 and now NX20 indicates A57 fans have something to be glad about.

What the hell does the RX100 review have to do with this? You're really on a crusade about that...

sensibill's gear list:sensibill's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 II Nikon 1 J1
sensibill

thubleau7 wrote:

well that makes alot of sense...........not..............just leave your logic at the door and take small steps in case you fall over a straight line or cause more brain damage to half the brain you still have.

You post 'alot' of belligerent tripe yourself, you know? It took me about five minutes to see you're the forum crank and that nobody cares what you think because you can't express yourself without being offensive.

Internet forums: The anonymized beating-free playground of the social miscreant.

NPPhoto Senior Member • Posts: 1,084

When a review comes out, people have a tendency to look at it with their point of view. Whatever that view maybe. But, what I don't like is someone coming to DPR's rescue and putting someone down in a condescending manner asking them if they are stupid enough to not "get" the award system DPR has.

It is DPR's place to come to their own defense and help understand a viewer about their review and awarding system.

chlamchowder wrote:

Of course, it'd be great if reviewers put their reviews out really quickly. It'd also be great if reviewers would spend a significant amount of time to become acquainted with the product and getting a feel for how it handles in a wide variety of situations.

However, these two ideals are in direct conflict: If a review is put out quickly, the reviewer didn't spend much time with the camera, or is basing the review mostly off a pre-production example. Spending more time with the camera isn't desirable because people want to know how new products perform so that purchasing decisions can be made. So what should DPR choose?

I think there's a third option, which is to put down a fairly detailed review quickly (from a pre-production example). Then, keep using the production model, and add or change the initial review periodically. That way, people anxious to read a review would be happy, and people interested in seeing how a camera handles in the long term would also be satisfied (the waiting part is inevitable, though - it takes time to get experience).

Also, whenever I see quick positive reviews of new cameras, I wonder whether the reviewers suffer from the 'new toy' syndrome. Whenever I handle a new camera (that doesn't have obvious flaws), I always think it's awesome for the first few months. I might even praise it in front of other people. After using it for a while, though, I become less forgiving as the 'new toy' effect wears off. I wonder if the same happens with reviewers.

-- hide signature --

Nick P

tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 36,261

sensibill wrote:

What the hell does the RX100 review have to do with this? You're really on a crusade about that...

Who said anything about the RX100?

-- hide signature --
 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +9 more
sensibill

tbcass wrote:

sensibill wrote:

Who said anything about the RX100?

The top of this subthread:

Ron Poelman wrote:

I wonder how much of that Gold was due to .....
(...)
2. The well deserved backlash against the ridiculous RX100 rating.

Well I guess with a bright lens and a full frame with plenty of pixels you dont really need Clearzoom or digital Zoom its only interpolating anyway.

Sony must think consumers are idiots to try and sell a feature which does nothing over a straight digital zoom

having tried both on the A57 i just prefer to do it in photo shop I use PhotoZoom 2 for interpolating but once again it makes very little difference when printing.If the image is just average to start with and not sharp interpolating just increases the flaws already in the shot.

If you can use a camera with sufficient pixels to allow a crop then that is what I would do.

And you think that is logical?

I guess it depends whether you are one of those law abiding citizens that take every thing the government tell you as Gospel and not to be challenged.

because in the USA you are allowed to carry a gun by law does that make it right? so you run out and buy a gun because you are allowed to do this by the government.

yet where I live guns are illegal so I reason that this probably more sane than in the USA.

If you have a brain use it, just don't file it away because something is written down by what you perceive to be a higher authority so you swallow the lot and sit there like a vegetable.

caterpillar Veteran Member • Posts: 7,342
Typical

thubleau7 wrote:

And you think that is logical?

And you think you are logical? But that is the house rules. You don't like it then seek another site where your "logic" is welcome. No one is forcing you into it.

I guess it depends whether you are one of those law abiding citizens that take every thing the government tell you as Gospel and not to be challenged.

because in the USA you are allowed to carry a gun by law does that make it right? so you run out and buy a gun because you are allowed to do this by the government.

yet where I live guns are illegal so I reason that this probably more sane than in the USA.

Typical. You've been busted and proven wrong now you side-track the issue and discuss things not related to the rebutal of your arguments. You asked why the score and the final Award do not match. That's it. You don't like the answer, tough luck.

If you have a brain use it, just don't file it away because something is written down by what you perceive to be a higher authority so you swallow the lot and sit there like a vegetable.

Now you go personal. Well, we could say the same thing to you, that you sit there like a vegetable and not read the rules on scoring and awarding, it is just how you will remain ignorant of the rules. We could say that, "if you have a brain, use" to move your fingers to click on the rules, and again, "use your brain," to read and digest the rules. You may have the superior brain, but maybe too lazy to read them.

And what "higher authority" are you talking about? Using your own logic, do I tell you how to run your own house, what food to cook, or what curtains to put up? I may not like your style or your logic, but once I enter your house (or your web site), then you better abide by them. If you don't like them, leave. Or better still, why don't you create your own site, and be lord of it and do your own reviews? Prove DPR that their rules are stupid. Good luck to you in attracting probably at least 50,000 visitors/day compared to the millions hits this site makes in a day.

-- hide signature --

• Caterpillar

'Always in the process of changing, growing, and transforming.'

caterpillar's gear list:caterpillar's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 +22 more
sensibill

What the fig do gun rights and 'it being right to carry one just because it's legal' have to do with DPR's review system?

They basically stick to their own rules, for the most part. If there are some divergences or incongruities, you can bet people like you are there to jump all over them.

Are you capable of crafting any message on this site without attacking someone?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads