Batter up! New Canon G15 on the way

Started Sep 14, 2012 | Discussions
theranman Veteran Member • Posts: 4,228
Batter up! New Canon G15 on the way

No details yet, though.

http://photorumors.com/

Canon PowerShot G15
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Steve40
Steve40 Regular Member • Posts: 452
Re: Batter up! New Canon G15 on the way

Already don't like it, if the photo is actual. Wouldn't have a pop-up flash, exposure compensation dial gone, and no ISO dial. Not enough buttons. Probably a stinking touch screen, UUUGGGGGHHH. Why skip 14, and make a 15, I think its TROLLING.
--
Steve40.
http://steveslandscapes.50webs.com

Steve40

Oh yeah, it also looks cheaply built. In fact its rather ugly.
--
Steve40.

Dale Buhanan Veteran Member • Posts: 4,280

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder... I kind of like it.

Steve40 wrote:

Oh yeah, it also looks cheaply built. In fact its rather ugly.

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Dale Buhanan's gear list:Dale Buhanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon G1 X II Canon EOS 70D Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot G5 +35 more
OP theranman Veteran Member • Posts: 4,228

If it doesn't have 24mm wide and 2/3" sensor, I think it's gonna have a tough time in the market, and even if it does, no guarantees due to the large size. We'll wait and see...

Steve40

Well I think that the G12, was the last of a breed. None hereafter, will probably have the solid old time rangefinder quality feel. The G12 feels like a real camera, that 15 looks like its made of cheap plastic, or at best thin sheet metal. It looks a little top heavy, and akward.

Some might not care, and go for total performance. But I am a little old timey, if it looks like crap, it will always seem like crap to me.
--
Steve40.

Dimitri Khoz Contributing Member • Posts: 943

I really love the look of the camera.
Very solid and very 90s.

It looks and feels serious,
not like average P&S soapboxes.

It has good grip one does not need to buy extra,
it has useful front dial a-la DSLR, intuitive full manual control,
hotshoe, OVF, automatic lens cap, ND filter, ...
f2.8 at 140mm!!!
What else one can dream about for a price of less than $500.

abriwin New Member • Posts: 15

Just a rumour so far but credible. It has a viewfinder so it's a serious competitor to the Nikon P7700 maybe an announcement at the show but not available for months just like the EOS M

Only head to head tests will tell us which is the better machine, the new G15 with viewfinder or the Nikon P7700 with the longer zoom???

Steve40

The viewfinder is not something new, and I doubt any different than the one on the G-12. Or for that matter the G1-X. Just adequate enough for framing, when the light is too much to use the LCD. As it also is with Nikons P series cameras, none of these have outstanding viewfinders.
--
Steve40.

Wilfried HKG
Wilfried HKG Regular Member • Posts: 114

They skipped 14 for the same reason they skipped 13; in several Asian cultures the number 14 is unlucky (same for 4, 44, ...).

Removing all the nice dials was a bad move from Canon.

Wilfried HKG's gear list:Wilfried HKG's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +11 more
maarensv
maarensv Contributing Member • Posts: 996

Hi,

Steve40 wrote:

Wouldn't have a pop-up flash

If the picture is true then I think it has a pop-up plash. Look at the top left. There is at least something that looks like a it.

Regards,
Sandor.

maarensv's gear list:maarensv's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EOS R +26 more
LarsPolarBear
LarsPolarBear Contributing Member • Posts: 567

Steve40 wrote:
"Why skip 14, and make a 15, I think its TROLLING."

Well, "13" is an unlucky number in the western world, while the number "4" sounds similar to "death" or "die" in Chinese, therefore all number combination with a "4" in it are being avoided, e.g. "24" would mean "easy die". Not sure if that is also true for Japanese.

gadgets
gadgets Regular Member • Posts: 299

In today's world I don't see the point of G-series small sensor. Given it's size I don't think it's relevant anymore even with fast lens. I would gladly spend a few hundred more for G2X instead. Or some entry level MFT. Or RX100 for smaller size. Or lots of other options nowadays. G1X is $589 now at Adorama.

However, if they put a larger sensor in there as someone else mentioned, that would change things.

If there are enthusiasts that want the features but don't have the money, they should just buy something else used. They would get way more bang for the buck.

gadgets
gadgets Regular Member • Posts: 299

Yes, also true for Japanese. 4 is associated with death.

LarsPolarBear wrote:

Steve40 wrote:
"Why skip 14, and make a 15, I think its TROLLING."

Well, "13" is an unlucky number in the western world, while the number "4" sounds similar to "death" or "die" in Chinese, therefore all number combination with a "4" in it are being avoided, e.g. "24" would mean "easy die". Not sure if that is also true for Japanese.

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 6,192

At the moment any viewfinder on a compact is totally outstanding. This would definitely make me choose the G15 over the Nikon P7700. I am glad Canon have not listened to the people who continually carp on about trivial problems with optical viewfinders and have stuck to their guns. Very good news.

Steve40 wrote:

The viewfinder is not something new, and I doubt any different than the one on the G-12. Or for that matter the G1-X. Just adequate enough for framing, when the light is too much to use the LCD. As it also is with Nikons P series cameras, none of these have outstanding viewfinders.
--
Steve40.

GeraldW Veteran Member • Posts: 8,841
Re: I'm suspicious!

The picture shown looks remarkably like a PhotoShopped G1X or G11/12 It originated at Canon Price Watch and has been handed around to other rumor sites.

If you look at a G11 or G12, the lens looks the same as on this G15. But if it's really f/1.8-2.8, it should be significantly larger in diameter.

I could be wrong, of course. Personally, I'd like a faster version of my G11, and I don't want to give up my OVF.
--
Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G15 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Canon G7 X II Canon EOS M5 +1 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 6,192

That is a good point. It will be a relief when Photokina actually starts and some sense of reality returns.

GeraldW wrote:

The picture shown looks remarkably like a PhotoShopped G1X or G11/12 It originated at Canon Price Watch and has been handed around to other rumor sites.

If you look at a G11 or G12, the lens looks the same as on this G15. But if it's really f/1.8-2.8, it should be significantly larger in diameter.

I could be wrong, of course. Personally, I'd like a faster version of my G11, and I don't want to give up my OVF.
--
Jerry

Wilfried HKG
Wilfried HKG Regular Member • Posts: 114

I'd love this picture to be a fake (only ONE dial on top!), but the front bezel of the zoom lens looks different from the G12 and the G1X. The rectangular opening is taller and wider.

OVF: I have taken around 20,000 shots with my G11 and then G12. During all that time I've used the OVF maybe 3 times. It is so tiny and inaccurate ...

Wilfried HKG's gear list:Wilfried HKG's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +11 more
Elaka Farmor Contributing Member • Posts: 578

theranman wrote:

If it doesn't have 24mm wide and 2/3" sensor, I think it's gonna have a tough time in the market...

Looks like it will be the same 28-140mm and the same sensor size, just brigther lens.

Here is a comparation G12 vs G15:

Elaka Farmor's gear list:Elaka Farmor's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Canon EOS 60D +14 more
Darrell Spreen Forum Pro • Posts: 10,952

Greynerd wrote:

At the moment any viewfinder on a compact is totally outstanding. This would definitely make me choose the G15 over the Nikon P7700.

My feelings exactly. After the Nikon P7700 was announced, I decided I would have to wait for the next Canon GXX. If the sensor is only slightly improved at high ISOs, I'll probably buy it. The form factor suits me just fine and I typically need a bit more zoom than is available with the newer larger sensor cameras. Also, I know the faster lens will be a plus for me.

-- hide signature --

Darrell

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads