NEX Macro capabilities

Started Sep 13, 2012 | Discussions
symthic New Member • Posts: 17
NEX Macro capabilities

Hello all guys and gals at dpreview. I'm new here and new to photographing too.
I got the NEX-5N as my first "better" camera.
I have 16mm pancake as well as 18-55mm lenses for it.

I'd love to be able to get some really close up macro shots but I'm quite tight on the budget. What would be the cheapest way to archive some macro shots?

I see that there are these $8 macro extension tubes available, but can I even use the manual focus of the 16mm or 18-55mm once I attach those?

I also found out that there's this extension tube that allows auto focusing too, it's quite pricey though.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=auto+extension+tube+sony+nex&_sacat=0&_odkw=automatic+extension+tube+sony+nex&_fspt=1&_sop=12&_osacat=0&_mPrRngCbx=1

As for adapters and using some other mount lenses... I have no idea what to look for.

Could you guys help me out a bit here and recommend me a cheap and good way to get into macro photographing.

Cheers

Sony Alpha NEX-5N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
PeteGanzel
PeteGanzel Senior Member • Posts: 1,417
A Decent Close Up Lens..

Hi:

I would just get an achromatic +4 or 5 close up lens with a 49mm thread
Mirumi makes them or try to find the Minolta CL49-200.

Pete

-- hide signature --
genghishahn Forum Member • Posts: 76
Re: NEX Macro capabilities

I agree with Pete: try out a closeup filter first and see how it works for you. In addition to the Mirumi and the Minolta that he mentioned , the Raynox DCR-150 and -250 are pretty popular options.

Best of luck!
Scott
--
http://burbanmacro.wordpress.com

genghishahn's gear list:genghishahn's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +6 more
FuzzyQball
FuzzyQball Senior Member • Posts: 1,630

Filter would be worth a try. Next would be an adapter and a old manual macro lens or perhaps extension tubes?
--
Glenn

FuzzyQball's gear list:FuzzyQball's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +1 more
fermy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,168

FuzzyQball wrote:

Filter would be worth a try. Next would be an adapter and a old manual macro lens or perhaps extension tubes?

Extension tube that allows the use of native lenses has to be electronic. IMHO old manual focus macro is a no-brainer as the cost of a decent 50mm 1:2 macro is not much bigger than a close up filter, while the quality is better.

FuzzyQball
FuzzyQball Senior Member • Posts: 1,630

That would be my preference as well.
--
Glenn

FuzzyQball's gear list:FuzzyQball's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +1 more
plasmo Forum Member • Posts: 70

If you really on a budget, you can get an $8.95 reverse ring adapter for your 18-55 kit lens, and make some good macros with the lens you already have. You can see some in my gallery that I took using this method. You can youtube exactly how to do it, but it basically allows you to reverse your lens.

Here's the link for the ring adapter for NEX:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0054ENYGE/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00

plasmo's gear list:plasmo's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads