I love my 5d3, but...

Started Sep 13, 2012 | Discussions
Bamboojled Contributing Member • Posts: 553
Re: I love my 5d3, but...

ISO capabilities are not on par with the 5D3 or D800

Really? How exactly do you know that?
Have you already shot it?
Please, let us know... or are you just pulling ISO performance out of your A* ?

David Hull
David Hull Veteran Member • Posts: 6,029
Re: Meanwhile in Nikon land

I thought the D800 was the D700 replacement?
--
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/26158506@N07/

David Hull's gear list:David Hull's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 5D Mark III
AC1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,171

Great to have him back!

XeroJay wrote:
Yes! The "that's great!" guy returns!

locksley wrote:

That's Great! Thanks for letting us in on it!

AC1's gear list:AC1's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +2 more
MASTERPPA Contributing Member • Posts: 867

Sensor wise, yes, if it is like a smaller D800.. But for weddings, hmm. I like dual card slots like my 5DIII and 1D cameras, and I am better the 5D3 AF is still better..

chironNYC wrote:

I love my 5d3, and since I already have my money invested I am certainly not going to jump ship.

But, if the D600 sensor lives up to its Sony heritage, without the megapixel overweight and manufacturing/design defects of the D800 (AF, green tint, etc.), I think it will be a very attractive camera in its own right. At $1400 less than the 5d3, it will appeal to many categories of shooters. If you can shoot a wedding with a 5d2, you can shoot a wedding with a D600.

Price-wise, it competes with xD Canon cameras. Features-wise, it competes with the 5d3.

It looks to be a fine and appealing camera at a price and with a sensor that will profoundly challenge Canon.

I think it may be a market-changing camera.

AllOtherNamesTaken Veteran Member • Posts: 3,563
FYI

D800 will do 5.9 FPS @ 25 MP which is higher resolution and the same frame rate as the 5DM3. Far superior DR as well. That is with the grip (which you can buy with the price difference between a D800 and 5DM3, or use one of the $50 alternatives and save $450), 5FPS without.

The frame rate argument is largely moot.

Just sayin ;).

Mark

Blue II
Blue II Veteran Member • Posts: 3,767
Re: FYI

Negligible higher MP and negligible slower frame rate, but must have the grip which adds size and weight. Not to mention the AF issues and green LCD that I keep reading about. DR is only higher at low ISOs, so no real benefit.

AllOtherNamesTaken wrote:

D800 will do 5.9 FPS @ 25 MP which is higher resolution and the same frame rate as the 5DM3. Far superior DR as well. That is with the grip (which you can buy with the price difference between a D800 and 5DM3, or use one of the $50 alternatives and save $450), 5FPS without.

Just sayin ;).

Mark

-- hide signature --

Steve

Blue II's gear list:Blue II's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Mark II
Blue II

Bamboojled wrote:

It only goes to 12,800 with expansion to 25,600 as opposed to the 5D3's 25,600 with expansion to 102,400. Seems to not be on par to me too.

-- hide signature --

Steve

Canon EOS-1D X Mark II
shaunly Contributing Member • Posts: 542

Blue II wrote:

Bamboojled wrote:

It only goes to 12,800 with expansion to 25,600 as opposed to the 5D3's 25,600 with expansion to 102,400. Seems to not be on par to me too.

This is a perfect example of the typical user not understanding the difference between marketing figures and actual performance.

SubPrime Senior Member • Posts: 1,238

David Hull wrote:

I thought the D800 was the D700 replacement?

Nikon themselves have said it isnt.

chironNYC wrote:

If the D600 body feels right in the hand--say as good as a Canon 7d does--then I think its specs and price will make it very appealing, more appealing to many than the overburdened and troubled D800.

Not really. Those who were/are attracted to the D800 by and large will not simply opt for the D600. The few that have poor reproductions will either wait for Nikon to fix them or get rid of them altogether. The majority, who landed good copies, regard the D800 as the next they have ever owned.

The D600 body is too small to appeal to pros - it will have lousy balance with f2.8 lenses. The D600 is deliberately handicapped - more basic AF, lwer flash sync etc.

And it does seem to overlap market appeal and useability with the 5d3, not completely but to a substantial extent.

The appeal is largely price point. Personally, I would much rather a D800 body with high fps and the D4 sensor.

Blue II wrote:

Negligible higher MP

Yeah, like 63% is negligible.

but must have the grip which adds size and weight

Along with balance and functionality - which is why Canon also make one for the 5D3.

Not to mention the AF issues and green LCD that I keep reading about.

Raading about but never experienced first hand right?

DR is only higher at low ISOs, so no real benefit.

1. DR si higher until 1600.

2. It's a huge benefit. Low ISO is where you want it. That's where optimum quality is achieved.

Bamboojled wrote:

The samples are pretty clear. The D800 high ISO performance is ooutstanding. The D600 will come close but won't match it for detail.

5tve Contributing Member • Posts: 678

Just sayin ;).

Mark

D800
FX 36 MP & 5:4 crop 30 MP = 4fps
1.2 crop 25MP = 5fps
DX mode 15 MP = 5fps or with the grip & AA batteries =6fps

5tve's gear list:5tve's gear list
Sony a6000 Nikon D7000 OnePlus One
Glenn NK Contributing Member • Posts: 967

LiveFromPhilly wrote:

A lot of us Nikon shooters are wishing for a true D700 replacement (which I guess would be a D4 sensor in a D800 body) and complaining about the lack of an AF-On button.

There were also a lot of Nikon shooters who (maybe unrealistically) thought this would be around $1600 body only and think it's priced too close to the D800.

D300S owners like myself are in an especially weird place if they're trying to go full frame. You can pay a little more for FX on a lesser body or substantially more for a mostly equal/better body but with more than triple the file size and slower fps.

Interesting comments. No doubt Nikon offers plenty of features to choose from but is Nikon putting them together in the right combinations?

Just wondering out loud so to speak.
--
Glenn NK
Victoria, BC

Glenn NK wrote:

Interesting comments. No doubt Nikon offers plenty of features to choose from but is Nikon putting them together in the right combinations?

Just wondering out loud so to speak.

Good question, but I suppose that goes for Canon too.

bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 57,348

5tve wrote:

Just sayin ;).

Mark

D800
1.2 crop 25MP = 5fps

Sure, but the '5 FPS' with the grip is actually 5.9 FPS in practice. 5FPS without grip, which is pretty useful.

-- hide signature --

Bob

OP chironNYC Senior Member • Posts: 2,385

Masterppa--

The D600 DOES have dual cards.

And t would be hard for anything to be as good as the 5d3 AF (they should have called it "Merlin"), but it doesn't have to be as quite as good as the 5d3 in AF to be useful and appealing for weddings and lots else. For example, if you are a wedding shooter, you can get two D600s for close to the price of one 5d3.

The significant aspect is those specs in the context of that price.

MASTERPPA wrote:

Sensor wise, yes, if it is like a smaller D800.. But for weddings, hmm. I like dual card slots like my 5DIII and 1D cameras, and I am better the 5D3 AF is still better..

chironNYC wrote:

I love my 5d3, and since I already have my money invested I am certainly not going to jump ship.

But, if the D600 sensor lives up to its Sony heritage, without the megapixel overweight and manufacturing/design defects of the D800 (AF, green tint, etc.), I think it will be a very attractive camera in its own right. At $1400 less than the 5d3, it will appeal to many categories of shooters. If you can shoot a wedding with a 5d2, you can shoot a wedding with a D600.

Price-wise, it competes with xD Canon cameras. Features-wise, it competes with the 5d3.

It looks to be a fine and appealing camera at a price and with a sensor that will profoundly challenge Canon.

chironNYC's gear list:chironNYC's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R III Sony a9 Sony a7 III Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +14 more
Blue II

SubPrime wrote:

Blue II wrote:

Negligible higher MP

Yeah, like 63% is negligible.

I was responding to his comment re 25 MP for the faster frame rate. Not the full 36 with oversized files.

but must have the grip which adds size and weight

Along with balance and functionality - which is why Canon also make one for the 5D3.

But not required to get the 6 FPS being discussed.

Not to mention the AF issues and green LCD that I keep reading about.

Raading about but never experienced first hand right?

I don't have to experience space flight to know it exists. :> )

DR is only higher at low ISOs, so no real benefit.

1. DR si higher until 1600.

2. It's a huge benefit. Low ISO is where you want it. That's where optimum quality is achieved.

I do a lot of sports and am mostly above 1600.

-- hide signature --

Steve

Canon EOS-1D X Mark II
Rick Knepper
Rick Knepper Forum Pro • Posts: 16,030
Wait for the IQ

Having said that, the D600 could be some folks' nose-bleed ticket to a dual platform.

chironNYC wrote:

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Pentax 645Z Canon EOS 5DS R Fujifilm GFX 50S Fujifilm GF 23mm F4 Fujifilm GF 32-64mm F4 +8 more
5tve Contributing Member • Posts: 678

bobn2 wrote:

5tve wrote:

Just sayin ;).

Mark

D800
1.2 crop 25MP = 5fps

Sure, but the '5 FPS' with the grip is actually 5.9 FPS in practice. 5FPS without grip, which is pretty useful.

If I'm reading what you say correctly 1.2 crop with the grip & AA batteries measures at 5.9 fps even though the info screen on the camera shows 5fps ?

5tve's gear list:5tve's gear list
Sony a6000 Nikon D7000 OnePlus One
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads