Fuji X-Pro 1 vs Fuji X-E1 vs Sony NEX-7 vs Sony NEX-6 (struggling to choose!)

Started Sep 13, 2012 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
timetowastetime Forum Member • Posts: 56
Fuji X-Pro 1 vs Fuji X-E1 vs Sony NEX-7 vs Sony NEX-6 (struggling to choose!)

I am taking a year off from my studies in 2013 to travel. I've been struggling to decide on a camera to take with me for months.

Things that I'm looking for

  • compact body

  • great image quality

  • one small (pancake?), fast (good dof), good quality prime lens of around 35-50mm

  • one versatile zoom

  • good video quality

I initially was going to go for the Fuji X100, but I'm concerned about travelling with only a fixed 35mm lens. I thought instead I would get a mirrorless interchangeable lens camera and get a prime that would deliver the same quality as the X100, but also purchase a zoom lens.

I'm leaning towards either the Fuji X-E1 when it's released or the Sony NEX-7.

I have no idea what lenses would be best to get with either though?

Can anyone offer some advice for my situation?

Really what I'm looking for is a high quality, light weight, compact and versatile travel camera.

Thanks in advance.

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
mosswings Veteran Member • Posts: 7,602
Re: Fuji X-Pro 1 vs Fuji X-E1 vs Sony NEX-7 vs Sony NEX-6 (struggling to choose!)

timetowastetime wrote:

I am taking a year off from my studies in 2013 to travel. I've been struggling to decide on a camera to take with me for months.

Things that I'm looking for

  • compact body

  • great image quality

  • one small (pancake?), fast (good dof), good quality prime lens of around 35-50mm

  • one versatile zoom

  • good video quality

I initially was going to go for the Fuji X100, but I'm concerned about travelling with only a fixed 35mm lens. I thought instead I would get a mirrorless interchangeable lens camera and get a prime that would deliver the same quality as the X100, but also purchase a zoom lens.

I'm leaning towards either the Fuji X-E1 when it's released or the Sony NEX-7.

I have no idea what lenses would be best to get with either though?

Can anyone offer some advice for my situation?

Really what I'm looking for is a high quality, light weight, compact and versatile travel camera.

Thanks in advance.

It's still quite early in this year's release cycle, but if you are considering the NEX-7, the new NEX-6 might be a better choice. 16MP, yes, but that's more than adequate; more importantly, the same EVF as the NEX-7, good direct controllability, hybrid PD/CD autofocus (should yield faster focus and better tracking of moving subjects), excellent video, on-board pop-up flash, and an ISO standard hot shoe for accessories at a significantly lower price. Plus you get good primes and good general purpose zooms with it. Not Nikon lens quality, but good enough, and not as quirky or as expensive as the Fuji lineup. The X-E1 is a nice camera though - for still photos of mostly static subjects.

 mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus Stylus 1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +5 more
garygraphy New Member • Posts: 6
Re: Fuji X-Pro 1 vs Fuji X-E1 vs Sony NEX-7 vs Sony NEX-6 (struggling to choose!)

I would pick the XE-1 with the new kit lens and the existing popular XF35mm f1.4. That should give you a lot of mileage while reducing overall weight.

dkloi Senior Member • Posts: 1,901
Re: Fuji X-Pro 1 vs Fuji X-E1 vs Sony NEX-7 vs Sony NEX-6 (struggling to choose!)

A NEX-6 + 16-50mm pancake + 35mm/1.8 would be my set-up. If you need a telezoom, add the 55-210mm.

Cheers,
Daniel.

 dkloi's gear list:dkloi's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a5100 Sony DT 16-105mm F3.5-5.6 +23 more
Jos van Dijk New Member • Posts: 1
Re: Fuji X-Pro 1 vs Fuji X-E1 vs Sony NEX-7 vs Sony NEX-6 (struggling to choose!)

Did you consider the Fuji X-10? Maybe video isn't its best trump but you can't have best of both worlds and pictures are really great....

If there isn't anything comparable at that price on Photokina I will purchase this camera soon.

timetowastetime OP Forum Member • Posts: 56
Re: Fuji X-Pro 1 vs Fuji X-E1 vs Sony NEX-7 vs Sony NEX-6 (struggling to choose!)

Thanks for the replies,

I'm still struggling. Hard to know until the reviews come out?

I would go for X-E1 over X-Pro1 for price reasons.

With NEX 7 vs NEX 6 I'm not too sure? Will the autofocus on 6 be better than the 7?

I think wanting good video really means that the fuji isn't an option compared to the NEX. What about the Olympus OM-D EM-5?

mosswings Veteran Member • Posts: 7,602
Re: Fuji X-Pro 1 vs Fuji X-E1 vs Sony NEX-7 vs Sony NEX-6 (struggling to choose!)

the EM-5 video is a lot better than in Oly's previous cameras, but Sony does video better. Theoretically, the NEX-6's AF will be better at moving subject tracking and may should offer faster static subject acquisition as well, but this will depend upon whether Sony followed Canon's pathetic lead in the Canon M or whether it made a practically useful hybrid system.

 mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus Stylus 1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +5 more
zarekr Regular Member • Posts: 184
Re: Fuji X-Pro 1 vs Fuji X-E1 vs Sony NEX-7 vs Sony NEX-6 (struggling to choose!)

mosswings wrote:

the EM-5 video is a lot better than in Oly's previous cameras, but Sony does video better.

That may be the case with the actual video quality, but the stabilizer on the Oly is so incredible that I would pick that over a NEX camera for that reason alone.

-- hide signature --
timetowastetime OP Forum Member • Posts: 56
Re: Fuji X-Pro 1 vs Fuji X-E1 vs Sony NEX-7 vs Sony NEX-6 (struggling to choose!)
1

Image stabilisation is a definitely point to the olympus.

David28 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,074
Re: Fuji X-Pro 1 vs Fuji X-E1 vs Sony NEX-7 vs Sony NEX-6 (struggling to choose!)

I have both the NEX7 and the OMD-EM5.

The Sony hasn't been used since the Oly kid arrived. I find the interface a great deal easier to use with the OMD. The IS as you noted is a winner. I used both to photograph my active two year old and the Oly wins hands down. I did not find the AF reliable with the NEX7 for moving subjects. And that may not be a concern for your intended usage.

I am predominantly a still image shooter so the video function is just a bonus for me. You may of course use your devices differently. I find both cameras were adept enough at videos. A quirk with the NEX7 is that is it very easy to depress the video REC button without meaning to. I also find the storage mode in the NEX7 extremely odd with stills and movies held separately rather than simply in a sequential mode. Led to some confusion when viewing and deleting, that's for sure.

As for lenses, I used only three primes on the Oly, being the 12mm, the magnificent 45mm and the new 75mm. I only had the 24 mm Zeiss lens with the Sony and shot a lot with third party legacy lenses (in manual focus mode of course).

I don't think you can go wrong with either the NEX or the OMD. If you can, definitely try both out first.

All the best.

David
Melbourne

shaunly Contributing Member • Posts: 541
Re: Fuji X-Pro 1 vs Fuji X-E1 vs Sony NEX-7 vs Sony NEX-6 (struggling to choose!)

David28 wrote:

I have both the NEX7 and the OMD-EM5.

The Sony hasn't been used since the Oly kid arrived. I find the interface a great deal easier to use with the OMD. The IS as you noted is a winner. I used both to photograph my active two year old and the Oly wins hands down. I did not find the AF reliable with the NEX7 for moving subjects. And that may not be a concern for your intended usage.

I am predominantly a still image shooter so the video function is just a bonus for me. You may of course use your devices differently. I find both cameras were adept enough at videos. A quirk with the NEX7 is that is it very easy to depress the video REC button without meaning to. I also find the storage mode in the NEX7 extremely odd with stills and movies held separately rather than simply in a sequential mode. Led to some confusion when viewing and deleting, that's for sure.

As for lenses, I used only three primes on the Oly, being the 12mm, the magnificent 45mm and the new 75mm. I only had the 24 mm Zeiss lens with the Sony and shot a lot with third party legacy lenses (in manual focus mode of course).

I don't think you can go wrong with either the NEX or the OMD. If you can, definitely try both out first.

All the best.

David
Melbourne

Fuji New x-trans sensor is without a doubt the best crop sensor on the market today. It handles high ISO like the D700 but even sharper because t doesn't have an AA filter. Their new lens are also nothing short of excellent. The AF is good but there's faster CDAF out there. Still a clear winner IMO.

Prof Buzz New Member • Posts: 1
Re: Fuji X-Pro 1 vs Fuji X-E1 vs Sony NEX-7 vs Sony NEX-6 (struggling to choose!)

I travel a lot (90 days or so a year)...versatility as well as lightness are my main importance. I have considered Nex 7 as my travel camera. But in the end, I fall in love with my D Lux 5. I know it's a fix lens, but the picture quality is comparable with Nex 7 in generals if you will shoot a lot of still to slow moving objects.

2 issues I have learned about Nex 7: the video button which is too close to the shutter button and the whilst shooting video the camera would get hot and shut down.

I have also compared D Lux series with Panasonic LX series and although they look alike, the picture quality is very different..

jcharding Senior Member • Posts: 2,251
Re: Fuji X-Pro 1 vs Fuji X-E1 vs Sony NEX-7 vs Sony NEX-6 (struggling to choose!)

Since video is a big part of what you are looking for, I think the Fujis are out for you (and I own an X100 and lust after the X-E1 and X-Pro).

Generally speaking, the m43 lenses are of better quality than the native NEX lenses. That doesn't mean the NEX is out because the better question is whether there are good NEX lenses for your specific needs. As an OMD user I can say there are several high quality lenses that fit your needs. The OMD also has IBIS and better weather sealing. Both the OMD and NEX have very good sensors and will produce quality images.

I'd look for a store where you can play with a NEX and an OMD and see which ergonomic set appeals to you more.
--
http://jcharding.zenfolio.com/

 jcharding's gear list:jcharding's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-T1 +12 more
David Nall
David Nall Forum Pro • Posts: 15,006
Re: Fuji X-Pro 1 vs Fuji X-E1 vs Sony NEX-7 vs Sony NEX-6 (struggling to choose!)

I just returned from Costco a little while ago and noticed that there is a $300.00 instant rebate on the Nikon 1 cameras with two lenses. The total price is $599.99, so I would certainly consider that. The pics are great from what I have seen. Dave
--
Visit my gallery at http://davesphotography9173.zenfolio.com/

View of Yosemite Valley, Bridalveil fall 4 frame vertical pano taken from the tunnel parking lot.

 David Nall's gear list:David Nall's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +11 more
plasnu Regular Member • Posts: 310
Re: Fuji X-Pro 1 vs Fuji X-E1 vs Sony NEX-7 vs Sony NEX-6 (struggling to choose!)

If IQ is your primary concern, Fuji wins hands down.

Fuji's video is totally unusable, though.

David Nall
David Nall Forum Pro • Posts: 15,006
Re: Fuji X-Pro 1 vs Fuji X-E1 vs Sony NEX-7 vs Sony NEX-6 (struggling to choose!)

The Nex system has image stabilization in the lens, not the body, so it just depends which lens you put on it. Dave
--
Visit my gallery at http://davesphotography9173.zenfolio.com/

View of Yosemite Valley, Bridalveil fall 4 frame vertical pano taken from the tunnel parking lot.

 David Nall's gear list:David Nall's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +11 more
David Nall
David Nall Forum Pro • Posts: 15,006
Re: Fuji X-Pro 1 vs Fuji X-E1 vs Sony NEX-7 vs Sony NEX-6 (struggling to choose!)

Seems funny that the Sony NEX7 get a gold and the Fuji X-Pro1 gets the silver. Read the review here on DPR, and then decide. Here is a pic of a very small flower taken with the NEX7 while I was at Glacier National Park with the kit 18 55 lens @ 55mm f 5.6. I had to hold the camera on the ground and use the rotating LCD to focus. Dave

-- hide signature --

Visit my gallery at http://davesphotography9173.zenfolio.com/

View of Yosemite Valley, Bridalveil fall 4 frame vertical pano taken from the tunnel parking lot.

 David Nall's gear list:David Nall's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +11 more
dkloi Senior Member • Posts: 1,901
Re: Fuji X-Pro 1 vs Fuji X-E1 vs Sony NEX-7 vs Sony NEX-6 (struggling to choose!)

plasnu wrote:

If IQ is your primary concern, Fuji wins hands down.

Fuji's video is totally unusable, though.

I'd say it depends on the usage. At low ISO or in bright contrasty situations, I'd lean towards the NEX-7. In lower-light hand held situation maybe the Fuji may be a better choice. Too bad DxOMArk has yet to release the Fuji sensor results but you can at least use the Imaging Resource comparometer at http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM NEX7hSLI00100NR2D.JPG vs XPRO1hSLI00100NR3D.JPG. Unfortunately these are out of camera JPGs, couldn't find a comparison shot in RAW.

For instance, compare the ISO100 still life shots, especially detail in the pink cloth:

I'm sure you could find some high ISO shots showing the reverse in comparative quality. For landscape work I'd lean towards the NEX-7 in this instance.

Cheers,
Daniel.

 dkloi's gear list:dkloi's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a5100 Sony DT 16-105mm F3.5-5.6 +23 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads