D600 and ZF lenses

Started Sep 13, 2012 | Discussions
kamalpr Regular Member • Posts: 141
D600 and ZF lenses

Hello,

Pl see this text at:-

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikon-d600/3

"If manual focus is your priority, you can program the D600 to recognise up to nine 'non-CPU' manual focus lenses, so if you've got a large collection of older optics, you don't need to turn to Ebay just yet. The only limitation is that the very oldest, non-Ai models are off the table. They'll jam if you try to use them on the D600 (but will mount just fine on lower-end models in the D3XXX and D5XXX class, albeit without aperture indexing). Yes - Nikon's lens compatibility is complicated..."

Does this mean that ZF lenses will (not) work correctly on D600?

thanks
-kamal

Nikon D3X Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Bostjan Pulko
Bostjan Pulko Regular Member • Posts: 423
Re: D600 and ZF lenses

No. ZF lenses will work just fine as they are AI-S and not pre-AI.

slimandy Forum Pro • Posts: 17,155

This is the situation we already have with the D700, D800, D300 etc.. The D3xxx and D5xxx are entry level cameras with no built-in focussing motor. You can mount pre-AI lens without damaging them.

Zeiss lenses will work fine. You should get ZF.2 lenses ideally. If you have the older ZF lenses the camera won't recognise which is which so you'll have to select it yourself in the menu (if you only use one Zeiss lens it won't matter because it will default to the last AI lens you used). You will also only have 1/2 stop increments instead of 1/3rd stops, you'll need to use the aperture ring rather than the control wheel, and the lens won't be recognised in Lightroom either. ZF.2 will be recognised in-camera and solve these issues. IQ will be the same.
As I said, this is not new to the D600, it's what we have already.
--
http://www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1
OP kamalpr Regular Member • Posts: 141

Thanks. I actually have a 50mm f/1.4 ZF.2 lens, but the lens fell into sea water and so its electronics stopped working and it is has effectively become a ZF lens. I asked coz I don't plan on buying a replacement and 50mm works just fine for me.

thanks
-kamal

slimandy wrote:

This is the situation we already have with the D700, D800, D300 etc.. The D3xxx and D5xxx are entry level cameras with no built-in focussing motor. You can mount pre-AI lens without damaging them.

Zeiss lenses will work fine. You should get ZF.2 lenses ideally. If you have the older ZF lenses the camera won't recognise which is which so you'll have to select it yourself in the menu (if you only use one Zeiss lens it won't matter because it will default to the last AI lens you used). You will also only have 1/2 stop increments instead of 1/3rd stops, you'll need to use the aperture ring rather than the control wheel, and the lens won't be recognised in Lightroom either. ZF.2 will be recognised in-camera and solve these issues. IQ will be the same.
As I said, this is not new to the D600, it's what we have already.
--

Fave Photog Senior Member • Posts: 1,241

slimandy wrote:

Hi Andy,

The reason why non-AI lenses can be safely mounted on the entry-level bodies without damaging them has nothing to do with their lack of a built-in motor. The reason is because those entry-level bodies do not have the aperture indexing lever that tells the meter at what aperture the lens is set at. That is why those bodies are unable to meter with non-AI, AI, and AI-S lenses - no lever.

If you remove the lens from a D200 or higher body, you will observe the aperture indexing lever just beneath the viewfinder prism where it reads NIKON. The flange on the aperture ring of non-AI lenses is not indented as it is on AI and AI-S lenses, and that non-indented flange will damage the aperture indexing lever on D200 and higher bodies.

-- hide signature --

The Five 'Ps' of Photography:

Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance!

slimandy Forum Pro • Posts: 17,155

I know that's the case but thanks for the info anyway.

Keeping things simple, it's the bodies without motors that can mount pre-AI lenses without damage, but you'll have no metering.
--

slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads