JL Salvignol
JL Salvignol Senior Member • Posts: 1,684
Ned Bunnell fired
 JL Salvignol's gear list:JL Salvignol's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Nikon Coolpix A Pentax K-01 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 S1 +16 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,992
Re: Ned Bunnell fired

Yep...
That has all the sounds of a forced retirement.

jeanphilippe Goube Senior Member • Posts: 1,927
Got retired...
-- hide signature --

jpgoube

jeanphilippe Goube's gear list:jeanphilippe Goube's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8E FL ED VR Pentax Q Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +13 more
Nicols Contributing Member • Posts: 865
Retired is no fired (nt)

no text

Nicols's gear list:Nicols's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K10D Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM +16 more
solarider Veteran Member • Posts: 4,843

Curious point of view, interpreting retired with fired.

How would you know?
--
At any given moment, there is a sort of all pervading orthodoxy, a general tacit
agreement not to discuss large and uncomfortable facts… Anyone who
challenges the prevailing orthodoxy finds himself silenced with surprising
effectiveness. - George Orwell

“It's not a matter of whether the war is not real, or if it is, Victory is not possible. The war is not meant to be won, it is meant to be continuous. … The war is waged by the ruling group against its own subjects and its object is not the victory over [the purported enemy], but to keep the very structure of society intact.” George Orwell, 1984

Tom Lusk Senior Member • Posts: 1,768
Re: Got retired...

"Got retired"

That's definitely the way it looks.

Ricoh appears to be doing what all companies do after buying out/taking over an underperforming company - cleaning house.

I would expect PRIAC (and most notably the U.S. operation) will be rejuvenated with this change. There's no way to go but up!

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,992

Tom Lusk wrote:

Ricoh appears to be doing what all companies do after buying out/taking over an underperforming company - cleaning house.

Is Ricoh in a position to clean house?
I thought it was a merger?

I agree on the cleaning house bit though.
Which seem like an inevitable motion with restructuring companies.

Peteo
Peteo Senior Member • Posts: 1,947

Ditto that

Peteo's gear list:Peteo's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +12 more
sychen Contributing Member • Posts: 647

Sounds the standard corporate speak for fired with benefits so you don't make a fuss and cause us to lose face/ create a scene. As well as let's put a ricoh man in charge opportunity.

Ned has always been very open with users on dpreview and on his own photo blog. Can't see that happening with the new administration.

Job well done Ned. Go enjoy your retirement check.
--
http://sychen.smugmug.com

Cheers
Shang

solarider Veteran Member • Posts: 4,843

I think Ned could only do as well as the cards and opportunities handed him within what was very likely what a very small budget would allow.

Thank you Ned, my very best wishes and heartfelt thanks.

Sincerely,

Nic

sychen wrote:

Sounds the standard corporate speak for fired with benefits so you don't make a fuss and cause us to lose face/ create a scene. As well as let's put a ricoh man in charge opportunity.

Ned has always been very open with users on dpreview and on his own photo blog. Can't see that happening with the new administration.

Job well done Ned. Go enjoy your retirement check.
--
http://sychen.smugmug.com

Cheers
Shang

-- hide signature --

At any given moment, there is a sort of all pervading orthodoxy, a general tacit
agreement not to discuss large and uncomfortable facts… Anyone who
challenges the prevailing orthodoxy finds himself silenced with surprising
effectiveness. - George Orwell

“It's not a matter of whether the war is not real, or if it is, Victory is not possible. The war is not meant to be won, it is meant to be continuous. … The war is waged by the ruling group against its own subjects and its object is not the victory over [the purported enemy], but to keep the very structure of society intact.” George Orwell, 1984

James O'Neill Veteran Member • Posts: 5,091

Tom Lusk wrote:

"Got retired"

That's definitely the way it looks.

Ned was there before Hoya, and was very enthused when they took over, he's been off the radar since before Ricoh appeared. Whether he'd had enough, or his face didn't fit any more or he took the blame for too many years of poor sales, I suspect all parties are too discrete to say.

I wonder if he will leave his successor with 3 envelopes.
(Searcch for "Prepare Three envelopes")

James O'Neill's gear list:James O'Neill's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +2 more
Gary Martin
Gary Martin Veteran Member • Posts: 4,708
Good luck Ned!

I had the pleasure of meeting Ned once at CES in Las Vegas (I forget the year). He was very friendly and accessible, like all of the Pentax USA folks that I've met. I'm not sure how much power he ever had with the corporate leadership in Japan, and I hope his replacement(s) gets more authority and resources for the U.S. market because their presence here is embarrassingly weak.

-- hide signature --
 Gary Martin's gear list:Gary Martin's gear list
Ricoh GR III Pentax K-1 Olympus PEN-F Pentax KP Fujifilm X-T4 +16 more
timo Veteran Member • Posts: 5,636

You may find he is at retirement age.
--
tim
http://www.pbase.com/timotheus

timo's gear list:timo's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8
moving_comfort
moving_comfort Veteran Member • Posts: 8,242
Merger, not

johnbee wrote:

Tom Lusk wrote:

Is Ricoh in a position to clean house?
I thought it was a merger?

Ricoh bought Pentax Imaging for about 1/200th of Ricoh's annual revenue. It was very much an acquisition

-- hide signature --

Here are a few of my favorite things...
---> http://www.flickr.com/photos/95095968@N00/sets/72157626171532197/

moving_comfort's gear list:moving_comfort's gear list
Nikon D800 Pentax K20D Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +10 more
Alex Sarbu Forum Pro • Posts: 11,420
Wrong title: it's "retired"

And everyone will retire, eventually.

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Ricoh GR III Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +8 more
DarylK
DarylK Senior Member • Posts: 2,198

Hopefully James Malcolm is somebody who can be an effective bridge of communication with Japan regarding what north American consumers want/need and how to best market here. It seems like there has been a disconnect - probably more a fault of corporate than Ned.

I wish him well. He seemed to be a guy I could be good friends with.

Daryl
--

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway

Great photography is largely a matter of perspective, both visually and mentally - Daryl Kottwitz (but probably said before )

My gallery: http://darylkottwitzphoto.smugmug.com/

DarylK's gear list:DarylK's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fisheye Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited +12 more
Zvonimir Tosic
Zvonimir Tosic Veteran Member • Posts: 3,085
Ned, unlike any other president in the imaging industry

Ned, one great bloke, definitely good and memorable face to represent a company.

I'm not aware of any other president of any imaging company that has had such a nice, friendly aura around him. That production manager of Leica comes to mind only, he is nice, but their CEO is not a public person. What about other companies, like Nikon, Canon, Samsung, etc? All their presidents are like witless corporate men with warmth and charisma of a dead frozen herring.

Ned was ripe for retirement though, and I wondered why he didn't retire earlier.

-- hide signature --

Zvonimir Tosic

"I want to be the tripod, the light meter, the motor drive."
— Eve Arnold

Zvonimir Tosic's gear list:Zvonimir Tosic's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 +3 more
Robert Daley Senior Member • Posts: 1,339

I don't know exactly what to say other than I enjoyed reading his posts and looking at his photos here...especially his southern Baja Mexico photos - and his K20D teaser photos beside his pool.

I could tell that he was excited about Pentax, and that he did a super job listening to us here.

I could tell that he read every post here - and probably forwarded many of our suggestions and ideas and desires to the powers that be at Pentax Japan.

He always struck me as a good guy.

Enjoy your retirement and/or whatever else you decide to do.

We wish you the best!

-- hide signature --

Bob

-----------------------------------------

'I don't know if we each have a destiny - or if we're just floating around accidental-like on a breeze. Maybe it's both. Maybe both are happening at the same time. I miss you Jenny. If you ever need anything, I won't be far away.' Forrest Gump

CANIKONTAXIAN Contributing Member • Posts: 629
Re: Ned Bunnell retires

I always found when a Pentaxian got hosed by Hoya Pentax QC & complained on a forum about it, Ned would somehow fix the wrong.

I suspect Canon could rehire him as could Sony or Panasonic or Leica...

Its a Sad day for Pentax owners in USA.

Happy Retirement Ned for you & your family, they are lucky ones who'll have more of your time to share !

JL Salvignol wrote:

http://www.pentaximaging.com/about/press/289
--
JLS

IRussell
IRussell Regular Member • Posts: 305

Regardless of the circumstances leaving Pentax, I thank Ned for the time he spent connecting with "us" and being involved! It was very nice to see, refreshing.

Health, wealth, and happiness to you and your family Ned. And may Mr. Malcolm do justice to the role within Pentax.

Cheers

IRussell's gear list:IRussell's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads