E 510 versus film

Started Sep 12, 2012 | Discussions
opticsguy Regular Member • Posts: 283
E 510 versus film

Apology for my rant but very frustrated!! Wanted to make some photos of the moon and venus this morning, a rather simpl photo, but not on a 510. No matter what scene setting or combination of settings and adjustments, the camera would not fire. Took the camera inside to check, makes inside photos just fine. The owners manual was no help at all.

So . . . got out my film camera and made a few shots, in just seconds. how could anyone make a digital camera so complex and frustrating to use, especially for something so simple.

Ok, go ahead tell me i stupid, maybe I am!!!

I am suspecting there is no focus lock and getting into manual focus mode is bewildering!!!

Digital = 0 Film = 1

blohum Forum Member • Posts: 95
Re: E 510 versus film

I would suspect you're right in that it couldn't get a focus lock but I'm not sure why you find getting into manual focus mode bewildering... just press the right arrow, go left/right until you get to MF, click ok....

Martin.au
Martin.au Forum Pro • Posts: 11,909
Re: E 510 versus film

Learning new stuff is good for you.

 Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 +8 more
Skeeterbytes Forum Pro • Posts: 12,410
Re: E 510 versus film

Super Control Panel is your friend. Also note--E-510 OVF isn't necessarily accurate for precise manual focusing, so better to do so in live view zoom (yet another feature to research).

Good luck,

Rick

blohum Forum Member • Posts: 95
Re: E 510 versus film

Skeeterbytes wrote:

so better to do so in live view zoom (yet another feature to research).

This is my usual method too, definitely worth a look...

highyoyo Regular Member • Posts: 139
Re: E 510 versus film

Look at page 51 of the manual - Shutter release priority. You can set it on or off for both single and continuous focus modes. If you have it on the shutter will not fire while it is trying to AF. Turn it off and you don't have this restriction. To change it - Menu - settings 1 (wrench icon) - Release Priority S or Release Priority C ON/OFF

Easiest way to get into Manual Focus mode - Hit AF button to right of OK button (also functions as right arrow key in other menus) then arrow to MF setting. You can also set via SCP on back (just below metering mode) or via Menu- Camera 2 - AF mode.

For shots of the moon it is best to be in full manual mode.

 highyoyo's gear list:highyoyo's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
aja2
aja2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,657
No you're not stupid...

but you know the old saying 'RTFM'? It works magic, I swear.
--
Aloha,
jan/aja
FCAS Member #128, Oly Division
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1007&message=14354990
http://aja2.deviantart.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmitchell_photography/

Mike_PEAT Forum Pro • Posts: 12,867
nt)Agree, Release Priority setting, or use manual focus.

nt=No text

highyoyo wrote:

Look at page 51 of the manual - Shutter release priority. You can set it on or off for both single and continuous focus modes. If you have it on the shutter will not fire while it is trying to AF. Turn it off and you don't have this restriction. To change it - Menu - settings 1 (wrench icon) - Release Priority S or Release Priority C ON/OFF

For shots of the moon it is best to be in full manual mode.

photophile
photophile Forum Pro • Posts: 13,235
Re: No you're not stupid...

aja2 wrote:

but you know the old saying 'RTFM'? It works magic, I swear.

Jan!! This is a family forum! You do realise reading any...'fidgety' manual requires a degree of effort. And therein lies my problem.

-- hide signature --

AH

 photophile's gear list:photophile's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus C-750 UZ Olympus E-500 Olympus PEN E-PL6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +6 more
Mike_PEAT Forum Pro • Posts: 12,867
nt)RTFM=Read The FULL Manual!

nt=No text

photophile wrote:

aja2 wrote:

but you know the old saying 'RTFM'? It works magic, I swear.

Jan!! This is a family forum! You do realise reading any...'fidgety' manual requires a degree of effort. And therein lies my problem.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads