Its finally here-Let the bitching begin.

Started Sep 12, 2012 | Discussions
busch
busch Forum Pro • Posts: 32,380
Re: Its finally here-Let the bitching begin.

Darn, I want it in red like my wife's ZS3!

-- hide signature --

Busch

Take the scenic route! Life is too short to do otherwise.

http://www.pbase.com/busch

busch's gear list:busch's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Sony RX10 III Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony a77 II Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +12 more
QuicksilverCA Contributing Member • Posts: 543

You can't please everyone

rtrski Contributing Member • Posts: 822

Oh, I don't know, I don't see much to bitch at.

Minor irritant: the AF points all seem strangely clustered near the center. I'm guessing that's so they're all available for crop as well as FF lenses?

The manual flash sync of 1/250th is a minor irritant. I was really hoping for 1/320th. And preview says things like the hotshoe adaptor 'will be avialable' hinting they won't include one in-the-box; I hope that's wrong.

Otherwise...not sure what to bitch about. AF Ranging with front and back dials to interactively set effective distances sounds brilliant. Higher rez rear screen than initial leaks indicated. Programmable front dial for AF/MF switching or other features. EVF (and presumably rear screen "live view") autozooms for crop lens use, which makes framing much more sensible than crop lens use on an OVF. Return of quick-navi rear display. Framerate went down but I've never used the 10fps burst mode on my a55 as it is, so that one didn't bug me.

I'm quite intrigued, and I'd previously said I'd never bother with an FF camera. Now I'm actually very near hitting pre-order vs. waiting for the a77 replacement to gain some of the same features.
--
budding (translation: currently incompetent) underwater photographer wannabe
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rtrski

RandyPD Regular Member • Posts: 255

Actually, everything seems to indicate that Sony will include an adapter so you can use your reverse ISo flashes with the A99.

I think my major disappointment is that the new AF system ( the 102 support AF sensors) will work only with certain lenses? Also, there seems to be some confusion on the max fps, is it 6fps with full manual control and 8fps on full auto or 8/10fps work on crop mode only?

GuyMcKie Contributing Member • Posts: 611

Only one, hard to resist:

• 200.000 estimated shutter life

• controls designed for long life

• 1,5 stop better DR than A900

• GPS

• 14 bit raw

• focus peaking

• quicknavi

• tethered shooting

• auto iso in M mode

• programmable dual slot memory card

• dynamic inbuilt focus limiter

• wireless still and video control

• attractive price

• great sports car design

• best video

rothwells Regular Member • Posts: 328
Re: A few disappointments since you asked :)

fjbyrne wrote:

Nothing is perfect and that includes the A99. Overall I am very favorably impressed but here are a couple of disappointments (all from DPR preview):

• No AS mode (i.e. Auto-ISO in manual)

• No GPS

• Relatively small buffer (as with A77)

• FPS could be higher for sports/wildlife

• No built-in flash

• Price a bit higher than I think it should be to make a dent in the competition

However my overall impression of the A99 is quite positive. I look forward to the full reviews.

It has GPS... did you miss the BIG GIANT "GPS" logo on the side of the camera?

rothwells's gear list:rothwells's gear list
Sony Alpha a7S II Sony FE PZ 28-135mm F4 G OSS Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +1 more
Karl Scharf
Karl Scharf Veteran Member • Posts: 3,750

I will hold back my bitching till I see some high ISO images!
--

Sony SLT-A77 / Rokinon 8mm / Sigma 10-20 f4.0-5.6 / Sigma 18-250 f3.5-6.3 / Sigma 50-500 f4.5-6.3 OS / Minolta 70-210 f4.0 / Minolta 50 f1.7 / Kenko MC4 AF 1.4 / Sony HVL- F56AM flash Karl Scharf

Karl Scharf's gear list:Karl Scharf's gear list
Sony a77 II Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +7 more

Manfred Bachmann wrote:

my friend hast an A900, what a fantastic OVF, and now this ridiculous evf which means fulltime LV, i would never buy it, because i am a photographer and not a videographer.
manfred
--
Pbase supporter, NPS Austria
http://www.studio96.at

My great grandmother used to tell me about people who couldn't understand how people ever wanted to use one of those new and dangerous "horseless carriages" and that people with any sense in their heads would just stick to the tried and true horse. It had worked for thousands of years, you knew what to expect and wasn't complicated.

Sure glad the world threw out cars and stuck with horses.... we sure didn't want new things that worked better and got us there faster.

Sony Alpha a7S II Sony FE PZ 28-135mm F4 G OSS Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +1 more
jsis Regular Member • Posts: 403
OK, I'll start.

It doesn't clean my house, I'm not going to buy it.

Jabez02 Contributing Member • Posts: 643

And just think what the improved specifications will mean to the 2013 A78 where Sony will actually be making good money on.

Jabez02's gear list:Jabez02's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Alpha a7R Sony Alpha a7R II Nikon D750 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 +33 more

Karl Scharf wrote:

I will hold back my bitching till I see some high ISO images!
--

Sony SLT-A77 / Rokinon 8mm / Sigma 10-20 f4.0-5.6 / Sigma 18-250 f3.5-6.3 / Sigma 50-500 f4.5-6.3 OS / Minolta 70-210 f4.0 / Minolta 50 f1.7 / Kenko MC4 AF 1.4 / Sony HVL- F56AM flash Karl Scharf

http://www.lenstip.com/2008-news-Sony_Alpha_SLT-A99_-_sample_shots.html

Not too bad, especially with pre-prod firmware. I believe these were with NR turned compeltely off and shot right to JPG (many sites have said there nothing that can read the RAW files yet so they had to shoot with JPG).

I found the stuff up to and including ISO6400 quite usable. I was even impressed with 25600

RichV Veteran Member • Posts: 6,168

fps - I guess the two thoughts are "horses for courses" (e.g. in the Canon line you'd most likely use a 7D for that, both for speed and the fov) and that someone has to try out the crop mode shooting; isn't that where you get 10 fps? (I could be off on this - just quickly passing through and it's not important enough for me, since landscape and portrait/street are what I'd use this for.)
--
Rich

http://philosurfer.zenfolio.com/

RichV's gear list:RichV's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha a99 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +6 more
sensibill
sensibill Veteran Member • Posts: 5,401
Subtract bitching from DPR and this is what you get:
n/t
 sensibill's gear list:sensibill's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 II Nikon 1 J1
fjbyrne
fjbyrne Veteran Member • Posts: 8,222

rothwells wrote:

fjbyrne wrote:

Nothing is perfect and that includes the A99. Overall I am very favorably impressed but here are a couple of disappointments (all from DPR preview):

• No GPS

• No built-in flash

• Price a bit higher than I think it should be to make a dent in the competition

However my overall impression of the A99 is quite positive. I look forward to the full reviews.

Obviously I missed it. As I mentioned in a earlier post I was going by DPR's spec sheet which says "NONE" for GPS.

tqlla Veteran Member • Posts: 3,882

If the buffer is truly as small as the A77 buffer... I am VERY disappointed.

I am also disappointed in the price, I think its a little too close to the D800. On a positive note, the D600 is more expensive than people thought it would be

Also, I thought the A99 would be faster than the 6FPS listed in the preview.

tqlla's gear list:tqlla's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha a99 Sony a99 II Sony 16mm F2.8 Fisheye Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +9 more

fjbyrne wrote:

rothwells wrote:

fjbyrne wrote:

• No GPS

• No built-in flash

Obviously I missed it. As I mentioned in a earlier post I was going by DPR's spec sheet which says "NONE" for GPS.

Sorry I meant to put the little smiley face to indicate I was teasing you rather than slamming you.... sorry. My apologizes.

fjbyrne
fjbyrne Veteran Member • Posts: 8,222

rothwells wrote:

fjbyrne wrote:

rothwells wrote:

fjbyrne wrote:

• No GPS

• No built-in flash

Sorry I meant to put the little smiley face to indicate I was teasing you rather than slamming you.... sorry. My apologizes.

No problem. I was just able to look at stuff in a bit more detail and the GPS is fairly prominent in the pictures

Lucas_
Lucas_ Veteran Member • Posts: 3,036

Too small and light, it'll make also buy the VG for a bigger size and stick two batteries to increase the weight!

... Lucas
--
Always having fun with photography ...

http://www.lucaspix.smugmug.com/

Lucas_'s gear list:Lucas_'s gear list
Sony RX100 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony a6000 Sony Alpha a7 II Sony Alpha a7R II +40 more
cruzcat01
cruzcat01 Regular Member • Posts: 196

Surprised no one mentioned this. Why the silver/white colored alpha 99 logos. The orange colored model numbers of the 57/77 were just perfect and would have perfectly coordinated with the orange/bronze colored lens mount.

This is such a deal breaker. Thats it Sony. I am going elsewhere for my color coordinated cameras.

cruzcat01's gear list:cruzcat01's gear list
Sony SLT-A57 Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sony DT 55-200mm F4-5.6 SAM Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM +3 more
RW Perk Forum Member • Posts: 66

rothwells wrote:

fjbyrne wrote:

• No GPS

• No built-in flash

There are TWO models. One with GPS and one without. In the USA only the model with GPS will be available.

RW Perk's gear list:RW Perk's gear list
Sony RX100 III Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads