What does the X stand for in product names?

Started Sep 11, 2012 | Discussions
zoranT Contributing Member • Posts: 916
What does the X stand for in product names?

To thought-minded forum members – I have a question:

NEX, GX1, RX1, RX100, LX5, GX100, NX100 -- and so on. The letter X appears to have a prominent position for specific products.

What does the X stand for? What does it symbolise (if it does)? Excitement, mystery, innovation, professionality – or is there a more trivial reason? Who began this fashion? (independent of industry), or is it no fashion, ie. one company starts with specific letters, and others follow with similar letters to indicate competition in regard to the initial product (e.g. Samsung's NX and Sony's NEX)?

I am interested in your knowledge and speculations about this matter.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Ricoh Caplio GX100 Samsung NX100 Sony RX1 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Deleted1929 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,050
Re: What does the X stand for in product names?

It's the letter of choice for the lemmings in camera marketing departments this season.

It has absolutely no significance to anyone outside those marketing departments.

What does it symbolise (if it does)? Excitement, mystery, innovation, professionality – or is there a more trivial reason?

Could there be a more trivial reason ?

-- hide signature --

StephenG

happysnapper64 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,417

How about "X-pensive ?
--
lee uk.
There are old pilots, & there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.

happysnapper64's gear list:happysnapper64's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +6 more
hotdog321
hotdog321 Forum Pro • Posts: 19,099

Snort!---that is what I was going to say!

hotdog321's gear list:hotdog321's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +3 more

If I thought of it before you, Hotdog, you must be having a REALLY bad day!!!! LOL
--
lee uk.
There are old pilots, & there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +6 more
Zone8 Forum Pro • Posts: 17,276

zoranT wrote:

What does the X stand for?

Simple! It's because the design manager cannot write and spells his name with an X.

-- hide signature --

Zone8: Although I am a handsome geniearse, when I stand in front of a mirror, I vaguely recognise the ugly idjit standing on the other side!

LINK: For B+W with Epson 1400 (and other models) using black ink only PLUS other useful tips:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/epson1400-B&W.htm
Cleaning DSLR Sensors, including Kodak DSLR Factory Cleaning method:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/KodakDCS-sensorcleaning.htm
Solving back/front focus problems on Sigma and most other DSLRs
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1027&message=35565277

TrapperJohn Forum Pro • Posts: 16,488
Depends on the company

NEX: Sony's marketing department ran out of T's. Dang, these budget cuts are getting drastic.

Leica X2: eXpensive.

Fuji X-Pro1: we eXpect it to get AF lock some time soon.

Sony RX100: eXtending the life of the high end P&S.

Panny GX1: Geez, the street price on it dropped eXtremely quick.

Samsung NX: eXactly when are we going to get any respect for this very good little system?

scorrpio
scorrpio Veteran Member • Posts: 3,595

Same reason it's 'Generation X', X-Men, X-files, X-ray, etc etc. In math, X is commonly used to represent an unknown. In adventures, 'X marks the spot'. And in general, far as symbology goes, a cross is a very powerful symbol in about every culture. Mystery, conflict, precision, resolution, multiplication, etc.

raylob Regular Member • Posts: 229

its multi-lingual!!!
Ray

OP zoranT Contributing Member • Posts: 916

scorrpio wrote:

Same reason it's 'Generation X', X-Men, X-files, X-ray, etc etc. In math, X is commonly used to represent an unknown. In adventures, 'X marks the spot'. And in general, far as symbology goes, a cross is a very powerful symbol in about every culture. Mystery, conflict, precision, resolution, multiplication, etc.

Yes that s what I gathered, but I also believe that competitors mimic each other, so the names; also they go for the simple recognizable scheme, eg Nikon's 1.

Cars on the other hand, have names (Safira, Kadett, Twingo etc.), so I wonder if Sony came up with a new model called Henry or Takako or the like. Or, say, Takako X.

dodgyexposure Regular Member • Posts: 240

sjgcit wrote:

It's the letter of choice for the lemmings in camera marketing departments this season.

Ahh, if only they would do what lemmings do best . . .

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Damien

dodgyexposure's gear list:dodgyexposure's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-2 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +8 more
Darrell Spreen Forum Pro • Posts: 10,458
A long history

zoranT wrote:

The letter X appears to have a prominent position for specific products.
What does the X stand for? What does it symbolise (if it does)?

Many years ago it was observed that several very successful products had an X in their name (Clorox, Windex, Xerox, Fed-X, etc). It also conveyed the feeling of an advanced product (xperimental?). There were even speculators who picked stocks based on whether there was an X in the name. The mystique is still there.

-- hide signature --

Darrell

nelsonal Senior Member • Posts: 2,464

Kodak got it's name because Eastman liked the sound of K (he thought it sounded strong and incisive). So I guess X is the new K.

From Wikipedia, hard consonants are generally preferred (especially consonant sounds where airflow stops because it's perceived as a more attention getting sound). X N and Z are generally perceived as masculine letters while L, V, F, and W are perceived as feminine.

ZorSy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,482
Glad it's X, not W

because in all cases (apart from Sony) it would be just ridiculous to pronounce them....and "www." was more than enough for humanity...

ZorSy's gear list:ZorSy's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D7100
Braxton7
Braxton7 Contributing Member • Posts: 882

Used to stand for experimental. Maybe it still does

Braxton7's gear list:Braxton7's gear list
Olympus E-410 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +7 more
T3 Forum Pro • Posts: 20,358
Y does it matter? (nt)

zoranT wrote:

To thought-minded forum members – I have a question:

NEX, GX1, RX1, RX100, LX5, GX100, NX100 -- and so on. The letter X appears to have a prominent position for specific products.

What does the X stand for? What does it symbolise (if it does)? Excitement, mystery, innovation, professionality – or is there a more trivial reason? Who began this fashion? (independent of industry), or is it no fashion, ie. one company starts with specific letters, and others follow with similar letters to indicate competition in regard to the initial product (e.g. Samsung's NX and Sony's NEX)?

I am interested in your knowledge and speculations about this matter.

T3's gear list:T3's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Olympus PEN E-PL3 Canon EOS M Fujifilm X-E1 Samsung NX30 +15 more
jon404 Senior Member • Posts: 2,229

Back when, in the late 1940s and 1950s, America built and tested some very advanced aircraft. All had X-names, for Experimental. The X-1 broke the sound barrier; the X-15 flew to the edge of space. As noted in an above post, product martketing people jumped right on this -- adding X to a otherwise-boring tube of toothpaste implied 'right stuff' quality.

There was a slight interruption in the X parade after one of our domestic revolutionaries, Malcolm X, chose the letter as a way to dump his old slavemaster last name. But he died, and the Air Force kept making X-planes, and X became locked in as a way to infer that your product is advanced, fast, the latest thing. Although there are probably a few aging guys, like moviemaker Spike Lee, who use the X as symbol of their struggle against racism, or whatever.

X. As I'm writing this, there's an ad toward the top-right of the Dp screen. An ad with a big X, and the words 'The xx Coexist'. Apparently for an album we can order, at $9.99.

But today, I'm looking at K. As in Pentax's K-5 II, but the one without the AA filter. Very curious if that makes it better for landscape photos!
--
Jonathon Donahue -- Olympus XZ-1 tips at http://jon404.com

panela
panela Regular Member • Posts: 139

Well - XXX denotes three little kisses - so these cameras with only one X have a ways to go.

Bruce Miller Senior Member • Posts: 2,438
Re: Depends on the company

Ha ha ha! You must have thought hard to come up with those...
--
Bruce

Bruce Miller's gear list:Bruce Miller's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS USM

This is a good thread & I have read all the replies. However, this product branding reaches new heights [??] when something like a toothbrush gets branded as "Turbo".Ridiculous. Oh! while i'm here, any news about the "Canikon XXXX Turbo Sub Atomic Super Nova Hadron Pulsar Mk !" It comes with a 5-200,000 f/0 lens. Second thoughts, think I'll keep my 7D.
--
lee uk.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads