Need to buy a new camera-I have done my HW

Started Sep 11, 2012 | Discussions
Jimothy H Forum Member • Posts: 57
Need to buy a new camera-I have done my HW

Hello Everyone,

I'm a 1st year photography student at New Zealand. I'm not a pro, so I'd put myself as a beginner.

I currently have a Nikon D80 with a Nikkor 28~70mm f3.5-4.5 & sigma 70~210mm f 4-5.6. Since all my equipments are old, I don't mind to start it fresh-as in change to another camera system.

I'm thinking to upgrade my camera at the end of the year, I have listed my options alone with my thoughts. My budget is about $5500. I want a walk around DSLR and a semi-pro body as well. I hope you guys can help me to decide or give me some comments.

This what I'm looking for (the most important goes on top):
1. Auto focus-how many there are in total and how many of them are cross type
2. "Eco-system"
3. Image quality
4. Ergonomics
5. Burst rate
6. The specs (mega pixels, number of custom presents you can have...etc)
7. Price

1. Sony:

I really like Sony's slt technology. It gives Sony's camera good video capabilities, fast burst rate, fast auto focus. It also has many fancy functions, such as artificial horizon, HDR...etc. They are pretty well priced too.
My problem with Sony cameras are:
1. EVF-It is very troublesome for studio work.
2. Confusing menu.

3. Small "eco system". There is hardly anyone out there that uses Sony. It's very hard to borrow equipments from classmates, friends and family members.

If I do gonna buy Sony gear , they will be A57 and A77. I don't know much about Sony's lenses, so I'm not too sure what to buy yet.

2. Nikon:

Buy a Nikon camera seems like an obvious choice, after all I already have Nikon equipments. I really like how Nikon layout all the buttons and dials, simple menu operations, and superb image quality. It seems like Nikon cameras are cheaper than Canon this year as well.

My biggest concern is the lack of cross type focusing points compare to Sony and Canon. Oh, Nikon doesn't really have f4 lenses neither. Where are they!????

Also the entry level cameras don't have an ISO button nor auto focus motor. I've found that quite annoying. Oh, they can't do video well neither.
If I'm going to buy Nikon's gear...:

D3200 alone with kit lenses + D600 (entry level full frame) alone with kit lenses + SB-900 + 70~200mm f2.8, 50mm prime, 100mm macro + 1.4X extension tube.

3. Canon:

I see Canon as the best compromise between Sony and Nikon. Canon with their new "hybrid sensor" has greatly increase the accuracy of in video auto focus capability. However, it is still not as great as Sony's SLT. It's better than Nikon though.
Canon has better image quality than Sony in low light but worse than Nikon.

Canon is sort of just in between two major camera companies in almost all categories. It's not the best, nor the worst.

The most annoying thing I've found about Canon is their button and dial layout and you sort of have to go me menu to change everything. Why does Canon place their dials in such awkward places?

Unlike Nikon, you can pretty change most of the functions without go through the menu and all the buttons and dials can be reached easily.

Gears I may buy:

650D with 18~135mm STM + Entry level full frame with kit lenses + 70~200mm f2.8 + 580 Mark II + 100mm macro, 50mm and 1.4X extension tube.

So what do you guys think? Right now I'm pretty much waiting for photokina 2012 to make my final decision. However, what do you guys think?

Thank you very much for your time to read this and answer my questions

Canon EOS Rebel T4i (EOS 650D / EOS Kiss X6i) Nikon D3200 Nikon D600 Nikon D80 Sony SLT-A57 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
TapioH Regular Member • Posts: 206
Re: Need to buy a new camera-I have done my HW

It doesn't sound that you have done your homework. Why do you need a $5500 budget?
Why not $500-1500 to start with?

Edit: Didn't realize you have already got a D80. What's wrong with that? Maybe a 18-55VR and a flash is all you really need.

Tapio

Deleted1929 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,050
Ditch teh full frame, one body and basic lenses to start

I'm a 1st year photography student at New Zealand. I'm not a pro, so I'd put myself as a beginner.

I want a walk around DSLR and a semi-pro body as well.

Well let's not take our fences before we have to.

You're a beginner and that won;t change quickly, so what you really need is one camera and one or two lenses.

You don't need all the toys in the store together.

And let's not make the mistake a lot of people will of getting a full frame system which you may never need. Don't confuse a desire for shiny objects with a need for equipment.

D3200 alone with kit lenses + D600 (entry level full frame) alone with kit lenses + SB-900 + 70~200mm f2.8, 50mm prime, 100mm macro + 1.4X extension tube.

650D with 18~135mm STM + Entry level full frame with kit lenses + 70~200mm f2.8 + 580 Mark II + 100mm macro, 50mm and 1.4X extension tube.

So let's replace that expensive and unnecessary list with something more practical but very effective.

Start with a Nikon D7000 with an 18-105 kit lens. You might add a 50mm f1.8 G or the older 50mm f1.8 D used. You might even find the whole lot used.

That's a great sensor, very good lens(es) and nowhere near the extravagance of your multi-camera kit.

Now you've money to spare for more important things as you need them .

Things like :

• lenses

• flashes

• tripod and head

These are going to be far more useful things than your rather pointless chase after full frame.

-- hide signature --

StephenG

trekkeruss Veteran Member • Posts: 3,899

Jimothy H wrote:

Why would this be your #1 requirement?

Gears I may buy:

So what do you guys think?

You do not 'need' a new camera, you just want a new camera.

I don't see much point in replacing your D80 with a D3200 or T4i. It might be a sensor or AF upgrade, but either has a lesser control interface. I'd think a D7000 would be a more logical step up.

JamesRL Senior Member • Posts: 2,341

Jimothy H wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I currently have a Nikon D80 with a Nikkor 28~70mm f3.5-4.5 & sigma 70~210mm f 4-5.6. Since all my equipments are old, I don't mind to start it fresh-as in change to another camera system.

I'm thinking to upgrade my camera at the end of the year, I have listed my options alone with my thoughts. My budget is about $5500. I want a walk around DSLR and a semi-pro body as well. I hope you guys can help me to decide or give me some comments.

Why is this an issue - are you finding you are missing shots because of focus issues? That could be due to the lenses not having motors(many lenses with motors focus faster and quieter)

2. "Eco-system"
3. Image quality

Whats wrong with the image quality you have with the D80?

4. Ergonomics

What do you dislike about the ergonomics of the D80?

5. Burst rate

Has this been a problem? How many times have you shot a burst since you started? This would direct whether or not you want an enthusiast camera or low end pro model.

Megapixels are overated unless you need to crop all the time, or are shooting posters. I would take the 10 MP of my D200 over the 18 MP of new point and shoot cameras every time.

7. Price

1. Sony:

I really like Sony's slt technology. It gives Sony's camera good video capabilities, fast burst rate, fast auto focus. It also has many fancy functions, such as artificial horizon, HDR...etc. They are pretty well priced too.

This is the number one reason I would not consider Sony personally. I have an older pro camera because it has a real pentaprism, which I need if I am going to focus manually.

2. Confusing menu.

3. Small "eco system". There is hardly anyone out there that uses Sony. It's very hard to borrow equipments from classmates, friends and family members.

If I do gonna buy Sony gear , they will be A57 and A77. I don't know much about Sony's lenses, so I'm not too sure what to buy yet.

2. Nikon:

Buy a Nikon camera seems like an obvious choice, after all I already have Nikon equipments. I really like how Nikon layout all the buttons and dials, simple menu operations, and superb image quality. It seems like Nikon cameras are cheaper than Canon this year as well.

My biggest concern is the lack of cross type focusing points compare to Sony and Canon. Oh, Nikon doesn't really have f4 lenses neither. Where are they!????

If you are looking at a budget of 5500, you can probably afford a f2.8 lens or two.....

Also the entry level cameras don't have an ISO button nor auto focus motor. I've found that quite annoying. Oh, they can't do video well neither.

You don't seem to want an entry level camera anyway. Your D80 has a auto focus motor and an ISO button, so stick with the enthusiast (D7000) level, or possibly a semi pro like the D300s. D3200 does video pretty well i'm told, not my interest.

Why do you need both - if you want full frame buy the D600, and use your D80 as your backup cam.

3. Canon:

I see Canon as the best compromise between Sony and Nikon. Canon with their new "hybrid sensor" has greatly increase the accuracy of in video auto focus capability. However, it is still not as great as Sony's SLT. It's better than Nikon though.
Canon has better image quality than Sony in low light but worse than Nikon.

Canon is sort of just in between two major camera companies in almost all categories. It's not the best, nor the worst.

The most annoying thing I've found about Canon is their button and dial layout and you sort of have to go me menu to change everything. Why does Canon place their dials in such awkward places?

Unlike Nikon, you can pretty change most of the functions without go through the menu and all the buttons and dials can be reached easily.

Go to a D300s and you can change all you want with buttons and not menus....

Gears I may buy:

So what do you guys think? Right now I'm pretty much waiting for photokina 2012 to make my final decision. However, what do you guys think?

JamesRL's gear list:JamesRL's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +6 more
ptl-2010
ptl-2010 Regular Member • Posts: 274

In what situations do you find your current kit limiting and, and why?

You might not need a new camera or lens, but instead another piece of equipment or a skill you haven't learned yet to accomplish the tasks you are having issues with.

-- hide signature --

-Paul

ptl-2010's gear list:ptl-2010's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II +1 more
leno Senior Member • Posts: 1,257

I'm a 1st year photography student at New Zealand. So learn about photography and not about cameras with shiny gimicks. There is nothing your camera can't do that you will need as a 1st year student.

leno's gear list:leno's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +3 more
OP Jimothy H Forum Member • Posts: 57

Hello Tapio,

Thank you very much for your reply.

TapioH wrote:

It doesn't sound that you have done your homework. Why do you need a $5500 budget?
Why not $500-1500 to start with?

Edit: Didn't realize you have already got a D80. What's wrong with that? Maybe a 18-55VR and a flash is all you really need.

My Nikon D80 is a lovely camera under sufficient lighting. However, it really struggle under low light condition. ISO 1000 is pretty much as high as it can go in terms of produce an usable image. It also struggle to focus under low light condition too. You might say :" Every camera struggle to focus under low light, but compare to my friends camera, mine is quite bad in comparison. Sure, I can put a SB-900 or 800 on top of my camera, but there are many cases where I am not allow to use a flash. For example: Stage performance, church events, some wedding, sport...etc. It also has a small buffer. 6 frames RAW image at low ISO, and about 4 at high ISO. It is really not ideal when you are doing sport.

I can't see why I want to buy a 18~55 VR. Sure, it has VR, which gives me about 3 stops of tolerance. However, I already have a remote and a good tripod (I've forgotten to list them), so I don't really need VR.

D80 just doesn't perform well enough in low light.

Jim

Re: Ditch teh full frame, one body and basic lenses to start

sjgcit wrote:

I want a walk around DSLR and a semi-pro body as well.

Well let's not take our fences before we have to.

You're a beginner and that won;t change quickly, so what you really need is one camera and one or two lenses.

You don't need all the toys in the store together.

And let's not make the mistake a lot of people will of getting a full frame system which you may never need. Don't confuse a desire for shiny objects with a need for equipment.

I have used 5D Mark II, Mark III and D800, and I really like the shallow depth of field it can produce. It gives a lovely foreground to background separation with alone with F2.8 lenses. Another thing is the image quality-Low light performance. The arability to go on high ISO but still with a clean image has really shocked me.

So let's replace that expensive and unnecessary list with something more practical but very effective.

Start with a Nikon D7000 with an 18-105 kit lens. You might add a 50mm f1.8 G or the older 50mm f1.8 D used. You might even find the whole lot used.

That's a great sensor, very good lens(es) and nowhere near the extravagance of your multi-camera kit.

I have considered the D7000. Without question, it is a lovely camera. I really enjoy shooting with it as well. Well, so why isn't the D7000 on my list? Because I may just well to get a D300s. However, D300s is just too old.

Now you've money to spare for more important things as you need them .

Things like :

• lenses

• flashes

• tripod and head

These are going to be far more useful things than your rather pointless chase after full frame.

-- hide signature --

StephenG

Thank you for your reply, StephenG.

trekkeruss wrote:

Jimothy H wrote:

Why would this be your #1 requirement?

Gears I may buy:

So what do you guys think?

You do not 'need' a new camera, you just want a new camera.

I don't see much point in replacing your D80 with a D3200 or T4i. It might be a sensor or AF upgrade, but either has a lesser control interface. I'd think a D7000 would be a more logical step up.

I'm not replacing the D80 with cameras such as 650D or D3200. The entry level cameras are just my walk around cameras or simply function as my back up body.

You can argue with me on this one, but I really do feel I've reach the limit of my current gear. D80 is a lovely camera where there is a lot of light, but under low light condition, it struggle to focus, produce noise image and fill up the buffer very quickly. Now, every camera is like that to an extend. However, I just feel I can do so much more if my camera can just be a bit better. This is another reason why I want a full frame-Low noise, swallow depth of field...etc

JamesRL wrote:

Why is this an issue - are you finding you are missing shots because of focus issues? That could be due to the lenses not having motors(many lenses with motors focus faster and quieter)

I have put on fast lenses on my camera, such as a 70~200mm f2.8 VR on my camera. It has certainly help. However, it still miss it sometimes.

2. "Eco-system"
3. Image quality

It really down to low light condition. The image has became really noisy at ISO 800 or above.

4. Ergonomics

Nothing. I really like the ergonomics of this camera. I like it more than any other cameras I've used. This is why I'm still using it even though it is old.

5. Burst rate

Has this been a problem? How many times have you shot a burst since you started? This would direct whether or not you want an enthusiast camera or low end pro model.

I have use burst quick often. Reasons:

1. To make up the fact I have to use low ISO and low shutter speed. Take 10 photos and hope one of them the people is still enough so the image is sharp
2. Sport-I've shot Hockey, rugby, golf, cricket and soccer (football).

A large buffer and fast fps is almost a need. It only take 6 shots to fill up the buffer, and only 4 shots if you use high ISO.

Megapixels are overated unless you need to crop all the time, or are shooting posters. I would take the 10 MP of my D200 over the 18 MP of new point and shoot cameras every time.

This is why the specs are in the much lower priority than the rest. If the image is sharp, you can always blow it up.

7. Price

1. Sony:

This is the number one reason I would not consider Sony personally. I have an older pro camera because it has a real pentaprism, which I need if I am going to focus manually.

2. Confusing menu.

2. Nikon:

If you are looking at a budget of 5500, you can probably afford a f2.8 lens or two.....

You don't seem to want an entry level camera anyway. Your D80 has a auto focus motor and an ISO button, so stick with the enthusiast (D7000) level, or possibly a semi pro like the D300s. D3200 does video pretty well i'm told, not my interest.

Why do you need both - if you want full frame buy the D600, and use your D80 as your backup cam.

Gears I may buy:

The reason why I want to buy an entry level camera is simply based on its size. When I'm doing photo journalism work, I've found people react better with a small camera than something like a D7000 with external flash and big lense. They also serve as a travel camera as well.

The biggest problem I have a D300s is its age, and it seems like it is about to be replaced soon (same goes to D7000). I want to see what both Nikon and Canon can show at photokina 2012.

Thank you for your reply, JamesRL .

Jimothy H wrote:

My Nikon D80 is a lovely camera under sufficient lighting. However, it really struggle under low light condition. ISO 1000 is pretty much as high as it can go in terms of produce an usable image. It also struggle to focus under low light condition too. You might say :" Every camera struggle to focus under low light, but compare to my friends camera, mine is quite bad in comparison. Sure, I can put a SB-900 or 800 on top of my camera, but there are many cases where I am not allow to use a flash. For example: Stage performance, church events, some wedding, sport...etc. It also has a small buffer. 6 frames RAW image at low ISO, and about 4 at high ISO. It is really not ideal when you are doing sport.

I can't see why I want to buy a 18~55 VR. Sure, it has VR, which gives me about 3 stops of tolerance. However, I already have a remote and a good tripod (I've forgotten to list them), so I don't really need VR.

D80 just doesn't perform well enough in low light.

That is a specific problem you can argue much better with the gearheads in the Nikon camera and lens forums. You are not a beginner and can probably solve your own problem with much less than $5500. Good luck!

Tapio

Philip Kendall
Philip Kendall Contributing Member • Posts: 789

Jimothy H wrote:

The biggest problem I have a D300s is its age, and it seems like it is about to be replaced soon (same goes to D7000).

Which generally means you can get some good deals on them right now.

Philip Kendall's gear list:Philip Kendall's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 550D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II
JamesRL Senior Member • Posts: 2,341

Jimothy H wrote:

JamesRL wrote:

I have put on fast lenses on my camera, such as a 70~200mm f2.8 VR on my camera. It has certainly help. However, it still miss it sometimes.

On a "pro" camera like a D300s you can chose the focus point patterns to suit what you are shooting pretty easily with your right thumb. This is probably more important that the number of cross types, if you are looking for accuracy.

2. "Eco-system"
3. Image quality

It really down to low light condition. The image has became really noisy at ISO 800 or above.

I have a camera (D200) with the same sensor, so I know how you feel. It is my only dissapointment, and for much of my shooting, landscapes with or without a tripod, it is meaningless. So this question helps direct you to a newer camera.

4. Ergonomics

Nothing. I really like the ergonomics of this camera. I like it more than any other cameras I've used. This is why I'm still using it even though it is old.

Then you would find the transition to a newer Nikon easier.

5. Burst rate

1. To make up the fact I have to use low ISO and low shutter speed. Take 10 photos and hope one of them the people is still enough so the image is sharp

Pardon me for saying so, but this is about technique not, camera. I used to shoot film at 400 ASA without VR. Sometimes doing indoor sports. You can learn to hold your camera steadier, and learn to anticipate to get more keepers.

2. Sport-I've shot Hockey, rugby, golf, cricket and soccer (football).

A large buffer and fast fps is almost a need. It only take 6 shots to fill up the buffer, and only 4 shots if you use high ISO.

Blazing away is not a technique I recommend. When I was shooting sports, it was all about timing and anticipation. Learning to pan with the action, learning to anticipate the action are all very important. Again, from film, I only had one shot a second. Learn to make one count.

This is why the specs are in the much lower priority than the rest. If the image is sharp, you can always blow it up.

2. Nikon:

Gears I may buy:

The reason why I want to buy an entry level camera is simply based on its size. When I'm doing photo journalism work, I've found people react better with a small camera than something like a D7000 with external flash and big lense. They also serve as a travel camera as well.

I think the difference between a D7000 and D5XXX or D3XXX is not significant to the subject. The grip would initimidate them, as would a f2.8 zoom.

The biggest problem I have a D300s is its age, and it seems like it is about to be replaced soon (same goes to D7000). I want to see what both Nikon and Canon can show at photokina 2012.

Don't get caught up in the race to have the latest. Many photographers better than you or I use the D300s and find it works well for them. Take a look at some of the posted pics in the D100-D300 forum. The D300s would be a significant improvement for you in low light, burst rate, focusing speed(especialy with lenses without motors). You can get one relatively cheap, and if you decide to move up to a full frame like a D700 or D800 later, you will find the controls fairly familiar.

JamesRL's gear list:JamesRL's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +6 more

5. Burst rate

Pardon me for saying so, but this is about technique not, camera. I used to shoot film at 400 ASA without VR. Sometimes doing indoor sports. You can learn to hold your camera steadier, and learn to anticipate to get more keepers.

I have to agree with you on that, but sometimes I just can not get the shutter speed fast enough to produce a sharp image. I may be very still, but often are the subjects that move too fast. For example: I shot a Hockey game once at night and I tried to make sure there is no motion blur in my images. It was very difficult, especially my shutter speed is about 1/500 second. I was using a f2.8 lens, ISO was 1000~1250 and I underexposed the image by about 1~2 stops. This is why I need to shoot many and hope in one of the many images the players have moved slow enough so that there is no motion blur.

What I am trying to say is that I do agree it is very important to anticipate the correct moment, but when I can not have fast enough shutter speed to capture it without a lot of motion blur, then my only way out is quantity over quality.

Don't get caught up in the race to have the latest. Many photographers better than you or I use the D300s and find it works well for them. Take a look at some of the posted pics in the D100-D300 forum. The D300s would be a significant improvement for you in low light, burst rate, focusing speed(especialy with lenses without motors). You can get one relatively cheap, and if you decide to move up to a full frame like a D700 or D800 later, you will find the controls fairly familiar.

I understand the concept of "only buy what you need, not what you want." I'm not trying to get the latest toys just because I can and I've got the money.

However even an entry level camera, such as a D3200 can has such a good image quality (it has a overall DxO score of 81 compare to D300's 66), then what sort of monster will they produce for their new semi-pro? What will the difference be compare a D300s to its replacement?

It seems like both Nikon and Canon are giving their camera some major upgrades this year or start of next year. I just don't want to say to myself "Damn it! I've bought some really outdated gears, and I'll need to spend more money to update them!"

Thank you very much for your input. I really appreciate it.

Just one more question before I let you go, do you think I should go for a old semi-pro such as a D300s or a new entry level camera, such as a D3200?

The reason why I'm asking this because according to DxO D3200 has a much higher overall score than D300s. D3200 also cost a lot less, has a newer sensor and processes than D300s. I know D300s has more focus points, faster bust rate and feel better in hand, but do you think it is worth the money, especially when it is about to be replaced?

Thank you~

Jimothy H wrote:

Thank you very much for your input. I really appreciate it.

Just one more question before I let you go, do you think I should go for a old semi-pro such as a D300s or a new entry level camera, such as a D3200?

The reason why I'm asking this because according to DxO D3200 has a much higher overall score than D300s. D3200 also cost a lot less, has a newer sensor and processes than D300s. I know D300s has more focus points, faster bust rate and feel better in hand, but do you think it is worth the money, especially when it is about to be replaced?

Thank you~

I chose the D300s over a similarly priced D7000 (and its sweet sensor) in Jan 2011 and have been very satisfied with my choice. Formerly I used a D70 and there's a nice big leap going to the D300s. One thing hasn't changed, though: I still get very satisfactory images -- just as I used to get with the D70. Maybe it's a bit easier now.

Now it's Sept 2012 and your choice.

Tapio

Thank you very much for your opinion.

Skipper494 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,194

Agreed. Learn to use the excellent camera that you have. Perhaps buy a Nikon L24 for your shirt pocket, so you don't miss opportunities.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads