Why the RX1 is too expensive

Started Sep 10, 2012 | Discussions
Anadrol Contributing Member • Posts: 506
Why the RX1 is too expensive

If you buy the Fuji X-E1 + the soon to come 23mm f1.4, it will cost you about 1700 USD and you have the possibility to change lenses.

The RX1 sensor surface is about 2.38X bigger than APS-C but the Fuji f1.4 lens gathers twice the light, so the IQ will be about the same.

The RX1 advantage is that it's smaller though, 24MP give a bit more details, and the Fuji 23mm won't be available before 2013.

Anadrol's gear list:Anadrol's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony a7R II Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +7 more
Fujifilm X-E1 Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
pako
pako Senior Member • Posts: 1,898
Re: Why the RX1 is too expensive

Anadrol wrote:

The RX1 sensor surface is about 2.38X bigger than APS-C but the Fuji f1.4 lens gathers twice the light, so the IQ will be about the same.

Hum?

-- hide signature --

Pako Dominguez
-----------------------
http://www.phototeka.net

pako's gear list:pako's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony a7R Sony a7S II Sony DT 16-105mm F3.5-5.6 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +18 more
LogCabin Forum Member • Posts: 81

Because I can't afford one and what does this have to do the Sony NEX cameras?

RezaTravilla
RezaTravilla Regular Member • Posts: 313

Need some money i think.

This is terrible. FF but can't change the lens. Expensive and useless investment. I will stay with my NEX5n.

RezaTravilla's gear list:RezaTravilla's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D300S Olympus E-M5 II Nikon 1 J5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
OP Anadrol Contributing Member • Posts: 506

pako wrote:

Hum?

Well both cameras gather about as much light.

Sony a7 II Sony a7R II Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +7 more
nagi603 Regular Member • Posts: 342

Anadrol wrote:

pako wrote:

Hum?

Do you honestly thing that IQ is only about something like that?

nagi603's gear list:nagi603's gear list
Sony a7S Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a7 III Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x +6 more
TiagoReil
TiagoReil Senior Member • Posts: 1,585

The RX1 is for someone who wants a full frame sensor in a small package. Period. Full frame. Not many cameras provide that. The next follower is the Leica M8M9. They are bigger thatn the RX1. Next you have the FF cameras from Nikon and Canon. REally bigger.

You are comparing it to cameras that dont even compete. The difference in sensor is quite big, and if you consider how much a FF body costs, you are getting it with a lens:

Leica M9: 6500

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/649923-USA/Leica_10704_M9_Rangefinder_Digital_Camera.html

Nikon 800: 3000

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/842926-REG/Nikon_D800_D_800_SLR_Digital_Camera.html

Canon 5D mark 3: 3500

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/847545-REG/Canon_5260A002_EOS_5D_Mark_III.html

etc.

AS you see, you are getting the cheapest full frame bought new (I wont consider usd market) and it comes with a lens.

IF you need a full frame camera, this will be the cheapest on the market (At least until the A99 gets out, and you are not considering the lenses in this comparison) and it comes with a lens. So you could consider it actually a cheap camera (For what it provides)

OF course if you dont need a Full Frame camera, then any full frame camera is expensive. Not only this one.

Here is a good comparison of sizes:

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/the-real-big-achievement-of-the-rx1-it-is-the-smallest-digital-ff-camera-ever-made/

Anadrol wrote:

If you buy the Fuji X-E1 + the soon to come 23mm f1.4, it will cost you about 1700 USD and you have the possibility to change lenses.

The RX1 advantage is that it's smaller though, 24MP give a bit more details, and the Fuji 23mm won't be available before 2013.

TiagoReil's gear list:TiagoReil's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +3 more

nagi603 wrote:

Do you honestly thing that IQ is only about something like that?

I said ABOUT the same IQ, the sensors are about the same generation, so for the same amount of light they give ABOUT the same IQ.

The fact is that the Fuji costs 1700 USD and the Sony 2800 USD, and the Fuji has an EVF, and you can change the lens.

headofdestiny Veteran Member • Posts: 9,226

Anadrol wrote:

The problem with X-Trans is that it isn't great at low ISO, even compared to the NEX cameras, and the RX1 will have much more resolution. Plus, the 23mm lens will be considerably larger than the 23/2 on the X100.

With a f1.4 lens on APS-C you get as much light and depth of field as a f2 lens on FF,
so what's the point of FF ?

Well the RX1 gathers about 18% more light (2.36X more sensor surface but the lens brings 2 times less light).

But as I stated in my first post, the RX1 advantage is smaller size.

TiagoReil
TiagoReil Senior Member • Posts: 1,585

And my fujiyan 35mm 1.7 gathers almost the same ammount of light, they have almost the same IQ, right???? Hahahha, what a joke.

The RX1 is definitively not for you. It is not for me either. But I would love to have one.

Most people complaining about it, are people that want it, but cant affor it. This happens all the time. And have no idea, what a FF camera costs. FF cameras cost real money, so only people that really need them buys them.

We can discuss the merits of a professional sensor (FF) on a camera geared to hobbyist. Cause this is not a camera for work. The canon FF and nikon FF are for work. This is for a hobbyist. The same way a Leica M9 has a very limited use for work, but it costs a lot more. But we all droll with leica dont we? And complain that it is too expensive, and who would want one? But we all want them.

Anadrol wrote:

pako wrote:

Hum?

TiagoReil's gear list:TiagoReil's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +3 more
uuronl Senior Member • Posts: 1,671

I think Sony has a well established practice of releasing statement technology products. These are generally quite solid and very good at delivering on core function. It doesn't happen often and they're usual obscenely expensive.

They aren't big sellers and they are often skipped over by most,but I admire them for releasing the products in the first place.

I have seen them mostly do this in the audiovisual space, but this product smacks of the same thinking.

uuronl's gear list:uuronl's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Nikon D800

headofdestiny wrote:

The problem with X-Trans is that it isn't great at low ISO, even compared to the NEX cameras, and the RX1 will have much more resolution. Plus, the 23mm lens will be considerably larger than the 23/2 on the X100.

You are right I agree with you, but you lose the EVF and the ability to change lenses,
so I feel that the RX1 is overpriced.

As I stated in my first post, the RX1 advantage is smaller size, but you have to pay a hefty price for that.

Anadrol wrote:

With a f1.4 lens on APS-C you get as much light and depth of field as a f2 lens on FF,
so what's the point of FF ?

More resolution and smoother tonality.

p.s. FWIW, f2 on FF is equal to f1.3 on Sony APS-C.

Anadrol wrote:

headofdestiny wrote:

You are right I agree with you, but you lose the EVF and the ability to change lenses,
so I feel that the RX1 is overpriced.

As I stated in my first post, the RX1 advantage is smaller size, but you have to pay a hefty price for that.

If size isn't a concern, there are already plenty of FF cameras on the market. There is supposed to be an add-on OVF and EVF option for the RX1, too.

Most shooters could probably benefit from being limited to a single lens.

uuronl wrote:

I think Sony has a well established practice of releasing statement technology products. These are generally quite solid and very good at delivering on core function. It doesn't happen often and they're usual obscenely expensive.

They aren't big sellers and they are often skipped over by most,but I admire them for releasing the products in the first place.

I have seen them mostly do this in the audiovisual space, but this product smacks of the same thinking.

I agree but I'm afraid that the RX1 is too much a niche product, doesn't sell well,
and that Sony won't release a FF NEX therefore.

headofdestiny wrote:

Not sure about that, I think that f2.8 on FF is equal to f2 on APS-C for example.

Anadrol wrote:

uuronl wrote:

I agree but I'm afraid that the RX1 is too much a niche product, doesn't sell well,
and that Sony won't release a FF NEX therefore.

I think the RX1 signals that Sony isn't going FF NEX anytime soon. Imagine the size of the lenses, based on the aps-c lenses we already have.

Anadrol wrote:

headofdestiny wrote:

Not sure about that, I think that f2.8 on FF is equal to f2 on APS-C for example.

Nope, f2 on aps-c equals f3.1 on FF. People usually just round when talking about it.

headofdestiny wrote:

Nope, f2 on aps-c equals f3.1 on FF. People usually just round when talking about it.

You are right I just used a DOF calculator.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads