K-01 rolling shutter / jello effect / overall video jumpiness

Started Sep 9, 2012 | Discussions
gutsdozer Forum Member • Posts: 51
K-01 rolling shutter / jello effect / overall video jumpiness

I just picked up a cheap K-01, and I love it other than the video quality. Compared to my old K-x and even a Nex-5n, the video seems especially jumpy during handheld walking shots. I read that CMOS sensors are prone to rolling shutter, but the Nex doesn't seem to have it nearly to the same extent. Has anyone else been disappointed with the K-01 video or experienced similar problems? I really like the look and feel of the K-01, but I might hang on to the Nex or K-x instead.

Pentax K-01 Pentax K-x Sony Alpha NEX-5N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
JacobSR Regular Member • Posts: 300
Re: K-01 rolling shutter / jello effect / overall video jumpiness

I think there are more K-01 users in the Pentax SLR forum. I suggest to post there for maybe some answers or comments.

Jacob

DAVID MANZE Veteran Member • Posts: 4,682
Re: K-01 rolling shutter / jello effect / overall video jumpiness

Hi,

Taking video while walking is probably the worst way of shooting,however turning off the shake reduction will help against the jello effect as the sensor tries to compensate for excessive movements it was not designed for. Careful use with shake reduction will produce steady pictures,walking will not. I have the K01,telephoto lenses will produce jello if the camera is not on a tripod,it's just asking too much of the system. Think old fashioned movie,careful and steady. Once you film like this the camera is capable of good results.
--
Dave's clichés

DAVID MANZE's gear list:DAVID MANZE's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D +15 more
Zvonimir Tosic
Zvonimir Tosic Senior Member • Posts: 2,563
Try turning off SR

See how video works when you turn off Shake Reduction.

-- hide signature --

Zvonimir Tosic

"I want to be the tripod, the light meter, the motor drive."
— Eve Arnold

Zvonimir Tosic
Zvonimir Tosic Senior Member • Posts: 2,563
Some tips on recording video with DSLR

Sometimes Digital Rev issues a really good and useful video, like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ufPJk0MxJ4

-- hide signature --

Zvonimir Tosic

"I want to be the tripod, the light meter, the motor drive."