Limits to aperture/shutter speed in FZ200

Started Sep 9, 2012 | Discussions
sherman_levine
sherman_levine Forum Pro • Posts: 11,580
Limits to aperture/shutter speed in FZ200

I couldn't find this in the manual, and perhaps I've just missed it.
You can't get the advertised 1/4000 shutter speed at f/2.8

In S mode, shutter speed vs maximum aperture
1/4000 - 4.5
1/3200 and slower- 2.8

In A mode,
f/4 and wider - 1/2000 fastest shutter speed
f/4.5 and narrower - 1/4000

Just something to be aware of. You can't go hummingbird hunting in S mode at 1/4000 and expect the camera to open beyond f/4.5, but if you set the shutter to 1/3200, it will open all the way to f/2.8.

Sherm

sherman_levine's gear list:sherman_levine's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix P1000
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Buzz Lightyear
Buzz Lightyear Regular Member • Posts: 453
Re: Limits to aperture/shutter speed in FZ200

I don't get it. So decreasing the aperture (less light) allows the shutter speed to increase? That doesn't make sense. What am I missing?

Buzz Lightyear's gear list:Buzz Lightyear's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +2 more
windmillgolfer
windmillgolfer Forum Pro • Posts: 15,808

Interesting info Sherm - probably not an issue here in not-so-sunny UK Stuart

windmillgolfer's gear list:windmillgolfer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Panasonic FZ2500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 +3 more
J C Brown Senior Member • Posts: 1,618

The FZ50 behaves in exactly the same way. At F/2.8 the maximum shutter speed is 1/1000 regardless of the ISO setting. Reducing the aperture to F/4 allows a shutter speed of 1/1300, F/5.6 allows 1/1600 and F/8 allows 1/2000 the maximum available.

This is covered on page 60 of the Manual Exposure section in the FZ50 Operating Instructions which include this statement. "Depending on the zoom magnification some of the shutter speeds and aperture values cannot be selected"

Recalling that this issue had been raised previously and that the explanation related to the use of a "slit shutter" I managed to find this thread by using the DPR Search facilty.

In response to the "FZ18 limited maximum shutter speed" thread posted by A R Howard this brief explanation was provided by JosephScha

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1033&message=27127267

and this much more extensive one by Helen

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1033&message=27129004

I hope that you will find these helpful.

Jimmy

-- hide signature --

J C Brown

sherman_levine
OP sherman_levine Forum Pro • Posts: 11,580

Jimmy,

Thanks for your observations.

As you state, this isn't a new issue. In FZ28 (for example) the maximum shutter speed decreases at wider aperture, and it's described in a detailed on page 59 of the manual (shutter priority and aperture priority modes).

The manual also refers to an effect of zoom on the maximum shutter speed, but nothing specific is cited.

In the FZ150 manual, the table is removed, and only the reference to zoom remains.

The FZ200 manual states only "Depending on the zoom position, some of the values cannot be selected"

So....the manual has lost the information over time, but the phenomenon remains.

Sherm

sherman_levine

The above measurements were done at full W/A.

at full zoom, with shutter speed 1/4000, the maximum aperture narrows to 8.0.

At 1/3200, the maximum aperture is 2.8

Sherm

sherman_levine

Under most conditions narrowing the aperture will cause the shutter speed to slow (in A mode) and increasing the shutter speed will widen the aperture. No surprises there.

My point was to demonstrate that the camera does not permit the combination of widest aperture (2.8) and fastest shutter speed (1/4000). If you attempt to take pictures on a bright day at f/2.8, the camera will show a red 2.8 2000 (indicating improper exposure) rather than increasing the shutter speed to 1/4000.

Alternatively, if you're trying to take pictures at 1/4000 sec, the aperture will widen only to 4.0 (full w/a) or 8.0 (full zoom). If you instead choose 1/3200 sec, the full aperture range is available.

Sherm

Buzz Lightyear wrote:

I don't get it. So decreasing the aperture (less light) allows the shutter speed to increase? That doesn't make sense. What am I missing?

DutchMate Veteran Member • Posts: 4,441

Thanks for pointing this out Sherman. My trusty old fz28 behaves like the fz50.
Maximum 1/2000 at f8 . I rarely need it under extreme bright conditions.

I guess 1/3200 should be sufficient for your hummers if light is not to hard?
Maybe an nd8 filter could help if the light is aweful hard.

-- hide signature --

maarten

stuntmonkey
stuntmonkey Senior Member • Posts: 2,735
Simplified answer

On compact cameras, the aperture blades do double duty as the shutter blades. Point the camera at yourself and press the shutter button, you'll see it in action. If you are shooting at an open aperture like f/2.8, the shutter blades have to travel farther to complete the exposure compared to a closed aperture like f/8; hence, your maximum shutter speed decreases as you open the aperture.

tyampel Veteran Member • Posts: 4,809
Re: Limits to aperture/shutter speed in FZ200 - its physics.

The reason is quite simple. The mechanical shutter on the P&S cameras is actually the aperture diaphragm. It cannot travel that fast from a 2.8 to produce 1/4000 shot.
When closed a bit it can. Works the same way on Sony cameras and others too.

-- hide signature --

Tod Yampel

Duck Club member

Buzz Lightyear
Buzz Lightyear Regular Member • Posts: 453
Re: Simplified answer

stuntmonkey wrote:

On compact cameras, the aperture blades do double duty as the shutter blades. Point the camera at yourself and press the shutter button, you'll see it in action. If you are shooting at an open aperture like f/2.8, the shutter blades have to travel farther to complete the exposure compared to a closed aperture like f/8; hence, your maximum shutter speed decreases as you open the aperture.

OK. Still learning about camera technology, but this makes sense. I was thinking that if the aperture lets in less light, the camera should be compensating by slowing the shutter speed -- but I see the limitations. Thanks.

Buzz Lightyear's gear list:Buzz Lightyear's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +2 more
privateman
privateman Contributing Member • Posts: 702

sherman_levine wrote:

Alternatively, if you're trying to take pictures at 1/4000 sec, the aperture will widen only to 4.0 (full w/a) or 8.0 (full zoom).

Sherm, you probably meant f/4.5 for wide angle, not 4.0, like in your first post, didn't you?
I can reach only f/4.5 @1/4000s with my FZ200 .

privateman's gear list:privateman's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads