FZ200 vs.X-S1: As I see it.

Started Sep 8, 2012 | Discussions
eagle2a Senior Member • Posts: 1,894
FZ200 vs.X-S1: As I see it.

I received my Panasonic FZ200 two weeks ago this next Tuesday. I was very impressed with my initial investigation of this fine camera. But as we are all want to do, I continued to read about other bridge cameras. Since I had an excellent experience with a Fuji S9100 bridge camera I was quite curious about the new Fuji X-S1. I read all I could and it seemed that there were mixed opinion about this new Fuji camera. I read about the sensor problems, the lens droop problem, and how wonderful the EVF was and the very smooth manual zoom lens.

So I thought since I had several days to return my Panasonic FZ200 camera to Amazon (best “try before you decide” company policy on the Internet, it seems to me) I thought I would give the Fuji a try.

This is what I found out from my perspective.

The Fuji does have the best EVA of any bridge camera I have seen. And my old Fuji S9100 was really good. I would say in many respects it is better than the OVF on my Pentax K-x. The zoom lens is very smooth to manually operate and is a pure joy. The camera is quite large and heavy for a bridge camera; in fact it is almost the same weight and size as my Pentax K-x with the Tamron super zoom 18mm to 250mm lens installed. Now to the comparison with my Panasonic FZ200.

The FZ200 is quite a bit lighter and smaller, even though their focal lengths are almost identical. The ability of the FZ200 to accurately focus in low light at very low shutter speeds at the long end of the lens is quite remarkable. The f2.8 lens is a beautiful piece of glass. The partnership between Panasonic and Leica has really paid off. The thing that I noticed as being so superior on the LZ200 compared to the X-S1 was the ability to focus in low light at slow shutter speeds and still get a sharp picture. Many times the Fuji would refuse to focus at all and when it did, the picture would be blurry due to my handshake. This is where the Panasonic is far superior, it seems to me. I have only been trying out the Fuji for about 24 hours now. But it has been a very intense time of testing. I have tried both inside dim natural light pictures. And outdoor full sun type pictures, and in almost every situation the Panasonic FZ200 surpasses the Fuji X-S1. Actually, this disappoints me. I have had several Fuji cameras, still own the F 31 point and shoot, and as earlier reported, truly loved the S 9100. So I have wanted to get back to the Fuji experience with a bridge camera. But this testing that I have done has convinced me that the Panasonic FZ200 is the superior camera for me.

I am not going to go into video to any degree since it is not all that important to me. However I did take a few videos. Again the Fuji X-S1 was not up to the quality of the videos that I saw from the Panasonic FZ200. The FZ200 will continue to focus and adjust light as you zoom and shoot, the Fuji does not, at least not in my limited testing.

As I just said actually this was disappointing to me as I have truly wanted to get back to a Fuji bridge camera. The build quality of the Fuji is far superior to the Panasonic FZ200. This of course accounts for the smaller and lighter weight of the Panasonic camera. The Fuji looks like, feels like, and acts like, a digital SLR, and is quite comparable to my Pentax K-x.

I hope I have not frustrated those who like Fuji as I do. I'm actually sorry to make this report. But I have been helped many times by people on this forum who stated their actual experiences honestly. If we are going to get the maximum value from our experiences on this form then we need to give as unvarnished and accurate description of our experiences as we are capable of.

I'm going to post this short review in both the Panasonic and the Fuji forms.

I will add this note in the Fuji forum that I am not adding in the Panasonic forum as I know several folks have an interest in this subject.

My serial # is 21A0xxxx. So I guess this means it was produced in 2012 the first quarter. I did not see any blooming problems or lens droop. The lens is more moveable than any of the other long lens I own. It seems to have a rubber gasket type of feel. You can move the lens as it is extended to its full length more than my Tamron super zoom 18-250 for instance.

Fujifilm X-S1 Nikon Coolpix S9 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ20 Pentax K-x
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
OP eagle2a Senior Member • Posts: 1,894
Re: FZ200 vs.X-S1: As I see it.

One side note I want to add regarding my first post on the FZ200 and the X-S1.

The serial number is on the camera, of course, but it is also on the outside of the box as well.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26289929@N05/

Don

PAUL TILL
PAUL TILL Veteran Member • Posts: 9,286

If your X-S1 has the old lens/sensor then your review is pointless, the difference between the old unit and the new is like night and day. The original produces very soft images at all focal lengths where as the new is sharp. The low light stuff is always going to go to the camera with a f2.8 lens although saying that I've yet to experience any low light focus problems on my X-S1.

Paul.

Paul: Thank you for your response.

The purpose of this post was to inform its members about my personal experience, for whatever it is worth.

Since I just received my X-S1 yesterday, September 7, 2012, from Amazon.com one of the largest, if not the largest, online retailer who does a huge amount of business, you would think that their supply of Fuji's would be fairly current. Quite frankly I don't know what to make about this. But one thing is for sure. I do not plan on purchasing any camera that has known defects and have to turn around and send it in to the company for repairs.

It is my considered opinion that Fuji should have recalled these cameras and repaired them a long time ago. I believe they said this fix was available by sometime in May. Were talking about 3 to 4 months of available time that they had to fix these cameras, given the fact that it is now the eighth day of September. So if my experience is a negative one due to their failure, well, shame on them.

It's a real shame, and I am disappointed quite frankly, as I really like their cameras and had high hopes for the X-S1 or I would not have gone through the trouble of ordering it and testing it, as I now have to pack it up and send it back. That's not something I ever find enjoyable but am grateful to a company like Amazon for such a great return policy.

Don
--

Don

(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 13,144

Totally agree with the poor focusing of the X-S1. Every time I tried this camera in the stores, whether in London or Shanghai, the focusing was terrible, especially at the long end of the zoom. Really really poor focusing even in moderate (not low) light.

-- hide signature --

DISCLAIMER: The text written herein is meant to provide the opinion/s and/or suggestion/s of the author. No statement herein is meant to be considered law of the land, representative of any party or group, and or a quote from any party or group. Neither is any statement in the contained text meant to be taken as scripture, doctrine, or all encompassing of an entire populous or any groups or individuals therein.

eagle2a wrote:

The purpose of this post was to inform its members about my personal experience, for whatever it is worth.

Since I just received my X-S1 yesterday, September 7, 2012, from Amazon.com one of the largest, if not the largest, online retailer who does a huge amount of business, you would think that their supply of Fuji's would be fairly current. Quite frankly I don't know what to make about this. But one thing is for sure. I do not plan on purchasing any camera that has known defects and have to turn around and send it in to the company for repairs.

Not many people are foolish enough to buy a camera that needs immediate dismantling and repair. That is why the price is dropping line a stone. $500 and still falling here in China. I might be temped to buy once it goes under $400. Even with droopage. I have a lot of business cards I can shove up the lens.
--

DISCLAIMER: The text written herein is meant to provide the opinion/s and/or suggestion/s of the author. No statement herein is meant to be considered law of the land, representative of any party or group, and or a quote from any party or group. Neither is any statement in the contained text meant to be taken as scripture, doctrine, or all encompassing of an entire populous or any groups or individuals therein.

Danielepaolo
MOD Danielepaolo Veteran Member • Posts: 4,537

Well said. Equally applies to the X10. In a month or so you won't be able to send them in for replacement sensors/lens assembly.

eagle2a wrote:

It is my considered opinion that Fuji should have recalled these cameras and repaired them a long time ago. I believe they said this fix was available by sometime in May. Were talking about 3 to 4 months of available time that they had to fix these cameras, given the fact that it is now the eighth day of September. So if my experience is a negative one due to their failure, well, shame on them.

It's a real shame, and I am disappointed quite frankly, as I really like their cameras and had high hopes for the X-S1 or I would not have gone through the trouble of ordering it and testing it, as I now have to pack it up and send it back. That's not something I ever find enjoyable but am grateful to a company like Amazon for such a great return policy.

Don
--

Don

-- hide signature --

Apologies if my lack of photographic knowledge is catching.

Mirfak Senior Member • Posts: 1,485

Time for Fuji to move on to the X-S2, with 2/3" X-Trans CMOS sensor, faster overall performance, touch screen, better video etc. A somewhat lighter body would help also.

PAUL TILL
PAUL TILL Veteran Member • Posts: 9,286

rattymouse wrote:

Not many people are foolish enough to buy a camera that needs immediate dismantling and repair. That is why the price is dropping line a stone. $500 and still falling here in China. I might be temped to buy once it goes under $400. Even with droopage. I have a lot of business cards I can shove up the lens.

Yet you did with your X10. Also 10's of 1000's of X100's had to go back due to faulty shutters, did you get lucky with yours? We won't mention all the firmware updates to fix the problems with it I lost count a 6 or was it 7?

That there X100 has dropped from £1000 to £649 here in the UK, when that goes down to £400 I might try one.

Paul.

Danielepaolo wrote:

Well said. Equally applies to the X10. In a month or so you won't be able to send them in for replacement sensors/lens assembly.

eagle2a wrote:

Don
--

Don

Daniel: I believe I saw some place where Fuji is going to repair the X-S1 cameras through the end of the year, and then longer as individuals request it.

If only they had just recalled these fine cameras 3 to 4 mo. ago then we would not be having this kind of a deal now. $$$$$$$ Money, always Money!

I was in business for over 30 years, you learn something quickly if you are a small business person. Treat the customer right!!! It pays off in the end. But big businesses seems to not care like they should. I understand all about the bottom line, believe me. But the thing they seem to forget is, "How do you get to the bottom line?" It's how you do IT, that really makes the difference. There will always be those customers who try to cheat you, and I always hated it! But they are so few compared to the good customers you can develop if you treat them right, that all else being equal, you will be money ahead doing the right thing. I'm just afraid today,that too many companies are having a very hard time figuring out what "The Right Thing", is!

Danielepaolo
MOD Danielepaolo Veteran Member • Posts: 4,537

eagle2a wrote:

Daniel: I believe I saw some place where Fuji is going to repair the X-S1 cameras through the end of the year, and then longer as individuals request it.

I have seen that too. When the exchange was first announced I believe they said September. Someone last week or so said end of the year. A check of the Fuji website and I could find............nothing. Really sad.

If only they had just recalled these fine cameras 3 to 4 mo. ago then we would not be having this kind of a deal now. $$$$$$$ Money, always Money!

No argument from me here.

-- hide signature --

Apologies if my lack of photographic knowledge is catching.

Danielepaolo wrote:

eagle2a wrote:

I have seen that too. When the exchange was first announced I believe they said September. Someone last week or so said end of the year. A check of the Fuji website and I could find............nothing. Really sad.

Fujifilm China says that the recall is done after September. You get orbs then (or droopage), you are on your own.

-- hide signature --

Larry Winters Veteran Member • Posts: 4,837

eagle2a wrote:

Thats precisely how I felt after rationallizing a little. At first its easy to fall in love with the X-S1 build qualities, smooth zoom, but the lens/sensor disabilities of the non corrected ones was eventually too much for me to ignore. I just didn't feel right spending $600 on a new cam and then sending it in for an overhaul.

I completely agree. They are fixing them but only begrudgingly it seems. Either way I'm done with the X-S1 and the HS30. If there ever is a X-S2 with a non EXR sensor, I might be interested.

You are not alone as the X-S1 has disappointed more than a few. But there are many loyal followers as well who have stuck with it and sent them in for repair. So Kudos to them for wanting the X-S1 that bad.

Larry Winters's gear list:Larry Winters's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Fujifilm X-T20

eagle2a wrote:

I received my Panasonic FZ200 two weeks ago this next Tuesday. I was very impressed with my initial investigation of this fine camera. But as we are all want to do, I continued to read about other bridge cameras. Since I had an excellent experience with a Fuji S9100 bridge camera I was quite curious about the new Fuji X-S1. I read all I could and it seemed that there were mixed opinion about this new Fuji camera. I read about the sensor problems, the lens droop problem, and how wonderful the EVF was and the very smooth manual zoom lens.

So I thought since I had several days to return my Panasonic FZ200 camera to Amazon (best “try before you decide” company policy on the Internet, it seems to me) I thought I would give the Fuji a try.

This is what I found out from my perspective.

The Fuji does have the best EVA of any bridge camera I have seen. And my old Fuji S9100 was really good. I would say in many respects it is better than the OVF on my Pentax K-x. The zoom lens is very smooth to manually operate and is a pure joy. The camera is quite large and heavy for a bridge camera; in fact it is almost the same weight and size as my Pentax K-x with the Tamron super zoom 18mm to 250mm lens installed. Now to the comparison with my Panasonic FZ200.

The FZ200 is quite a bit lighter and smaller, even though their focal lengths are almost identical. The ability of the FZ200 to accurately focus in low light at very low shutter speeds at the long end of the lens is quite remarkable. The f2.8 lens is a beautiful piece of glass. The partnership between Panasonic and Leica has really paid off. The thing that I noticed as being so superior on the LZ200 compared to the X-S1 was the ability to focus in low light at slow shutter speeds and still get a sharp picture. Many times the Fuji would refuse to focus at all and when it did, the picture would be blurry due to my handshake. This is where the Panasonic is far superior, it seems to me. I have only been trying out the Fuji for about 24 hours now. But it has been a very intense time of testing. I have tried both inside dim natural light pictures. And outdoor full sun type pictures, and in almost every situation the Panasonic FZ200 surpasses the Fuji X-S1. Actually, this disappoints me. I have had several Fuji cameras, still own the F 31 point and shoot, and as earlier reported, truly loved the S 9100. So I have wanted to get back to the Fuji experience with a bridge camera. But this testing that I have done has convinced me that the Panasonic FZ200 is the superior camera for me.

I am not going to go into video to any degree since it is not all that important to me. However I did take a few videos. Again the Fuji X-S1 was not up to the quality of the videos that I saw from the Panasonic FZ200. The FZ200 will continue to focus and adjust light as you zoom and shoot, the Fuji does not, at least not in my limited testing.

As I just said actually this was disappointing to me as I have truly wanted to get back to a Fuji bridge camera. The build quality of the Fuji is far superior to the Panasonic FZ200. This of course accounts for the smaller and lighter weight of the Panasonic camera. The Fuji looks like, feels like, and acts like, a digital SLR, and is quite comparable to my Pentax K-x.

I hope I have not frustrated those who like Fuji as I do. I'm actually sorry to make this report. But I have been helped many times by people on this forum who stated their actual experiences honestly. If we are going to get the maximum value from our experiences on this form then we need to give as unvarnished and accurate description of our experiences as we are capable of.

I'm going to post this short review in both the Panasonic and the Fuji forms.

I will add this note in the Fuji forum that I am not adding in the Panasonic forum as I know several folks have an interest in this subject.

My serial # is 21A0xxxx. So I guess this means it was produced in 2012 the first quarter. I did not see any blooming problems or lens droop. The lens is more moveable than any of the other long lens I own. It seems to have a rubber gasket type of feel. You can move the lens as it is extended to its full length more than my Tamron super zoom 18-250 for instance.

Don:

Kudos to you for an honest appraisal from your perspective. I eventually sent my X-S1 back as well and spent the money on a Canon 600D kit and 55-250 lens for $699.

rattymouse wrote:

Totally agree with the poor focusing of the X-S1. Every time I tried this camera in the stores, whether in London or Shanghai, the focusing was terrible, especially at the long end of the zoom. Really really poor focusing even in moderate (not low) light.

I swear the X-S1 has a mind of its own. One day it would AF lightning fast and the next much slower with the identical settings, conditions, subjects, etc. It was the non corrected one, but I did update the firmware. I swear it was haunted.

Sergey Borachev Veteran Member • Posts: 5,321

My sincere thanks to you, Don.

This is the most useful post I have read lately, since I am also trying to decide between these 2 cameras and have read everything about them.

The Fuji is brilliant in some ways but is ultimately not the all-purpose travel camera for me, based on information so far, as I need something that can provide more reliable results while travelling. Can't go back to that spot in Europe or Asia again to try to re-shoot something that looks blurry when enlarged, or get frustrated trying to get the camera to focus. It is more suited for patient shooters to learn and shoot locally and shoot more static objects, or using tripods, etc.

What is not reassuring is Fuji's insistence to continue to confuse us and not do the proper thing, i.e. identify the cameras that have the old orb-prone and flare-prone sensors and the droop lenses, if not to get them all back from the shop sheleves and replaced. Why should customers have to buy any products with known fault and then return them for a fix, or indeed, be offered faulty products to buy in the first place. This kind of business behaviour is what helps me in my final decision, as it is inexcusable. I cannot bring myself to buy the Fuji.

BTW, I really love the manual zoom, the ergonomics, and DR400, etc, and many of the Fuji innovations in cameras, but I need to feel safe spending my money and Fuji continues to lose my trust.

Wellington100 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,795

Thanks for the very interesting post. That Panny does look very good. A f2.8 zoom on such a huge lens is unprecedented.

Can you do a side by side comparison of the Fuji and the Panny to highlight the DR of the 2 cameras. An outdoor shot in bright sunny conditions will do the trick. It will be very interesting to see the highlights and shadows of the Panny compared to the Fuji.

DR is the key area where the Fuji should dominate the Panny but will it? Apparently the Panny Venus engine has been getting better over time.

I am interested in the jpeg output rather than RAW.
--
S100fs, S6500, S5, F300, D40, EX1, EPM1

Wellington100's gear list:Wellington100's gear list
Ricoh GR Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +15 more

Larry Winters wrote:

rattymouse wrote:

I swear the X-S1 has a mind of its own. One day it would AF lightning fast and the next much slower with the identical settings, conditions, subjects, etc. It was the non corrected one, but I did update the firmware. I swear it was haunted.

Larry said among other things: "I swear the X-S1 has a mind of its own. One day it would AF lightning fast and the next much slower with the identical settings, conditions, subjects, etc. It was the non corrected one, but I did update the firmware. I swear it was haunted."

Larry I had some of the same feeling. The X-S1 did something I have never, I mean never, with any digital camera, for over 10 years now, and many different cameras, had this happen before. It would occasionally refuse to copy to SD card a Raw file. Just a blank space where the file was should be. I believe I read where another X-S1 owner experienced the same thing and reported on it. The only thing I could think of, and come to think of it, this poster said something similar, was that the wright time was slow enough, and the camera would lock up so that you could do nothing while it was performing this writing to card. And if you tried to do anything at all, during this period of time, it screwed up the recording of the file. This happened at least three or four times to me.

Wellington100 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,795

rattymouse wrote:

Danielepaolo wrote:

eagle2a wrote:

Fujifilm China says that the recall is done after September. You get orbs then (or droopage), you are on your own.

I clearly remember Fuji announcing last year that the exchange program would run through to the end of 2013. I reckon only a few forum people are exchanging and so Fuji are going to can it early. Here in the UK the dealers are not telling punters about the problems and are pushing flawed cameras onto their customers. I assume its the same everywhere.

Seeing this thing unfold is the reason why I will never shift my main system camera investment from Nikon to Fuji. I would sooner go M43. Though I am holding out for Nikon to come up with an aps-c mirrorless. When fantastic D5100 bodies sell in the UK for less than flawed X10's, you know something is wrong in Nikonland

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

S100fs, S6500, S5, F300, D40, EX1, EPM1

Wellington100's gear list:Wellington100's gear list
Ricoh GR Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +15 more

Sergey Borachev wrote:

My sincere thanks to you, Don.

This is the most useful post I have read lately, since I am also trying to decide between these 2 cameras and have read everything about them.

The Fuji is brilliant in some ways but is ultimately not the all-purpose travel camera for me, based on information so far, as I need something that can provide more reliable results while travelling. Can't go back to that spot in Europe or Asia again to try to re-shoot something that looks blurry when enlarged, or get frustrated trying to get the camera to focus. It is more suited for patient shooters to learn and shoot locally and shoot more static objects, or using tripods, etc.

What is not reassuring is Fuji's insistence to continue to confuse us and not do the proper thing, i.e. identify the cameras that have the old orb-prone and flare-prone sensors and the droop lenses, if not to get them all back from the shop sheleves and replaced. Why should customers have to buy any products with known fault and then return them for a fix, or indeed, be offered faulty products to buy in the first place. This kind of business behaviour is what helps me in my final decision, as it is inexcusable. I cannot bring myself to buy the Fuji.

BTW, I really love the manual zoom, the ergonomics, and DR400, etc, and many of the Fuji innovations in cameras, but I need to feel safe spending my money and Fuji continues to lose my trust.

Sergey: I appreciate your appreciation!

I know what you mean about traveling and taking pictures. But then again photography is all about stopping time. At least it is for me. When you stop to think about it that particular shot you just took of your child, or your pet, or what ever it was, if it was a keeper and your camera fails on you, then it is a lost moment in time.

This is made doubly bad when the spot that you found this great picture at, is in the past as well.

I do not like to go to forums dedicated to a particular brand and advocate a different brand. But since this thread that I started is comparing both the Fuji X-S1 and the new Panasonic FZ200, I would just say that so far I feel that the Panasonic new f2.8 lens from wide-angle to telephoto has proven to be a delightful experience so far. The AF is fast, even in very low lighting conditions, but never so fast that it miss focuses. It can happen of course, but it seems to be very rare. The fact that it is small and light for a bridge camera should make it an ideal travel companion, couple this with what I think is probably one of the best shake reduction features on any camera today and I think we have a winner.

I know that I'm certainly going to keep mine.

Don

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads