FL50r Remote Flash

Started Sep 7, 2012 | Discussions
Malcolm Sales Forum Member • Posts: 96
FL50r Remote Flash

Hi,

Is anyone using the FL50r successfully as a remote flash? Particularly outdoors.

I've come to Olympus (OM-D E-M5) from Nikon D300 & D700 with 2x SB900's & 1x SB800.

I've mastered the different menu system and feel that it's great and really easy to change settings.

However when I working outdoors I find I'm getting a significant number of miss fires where the flash fires 5 sec AFTER the shutter. Annoyingly the EXIF data shows the flash has fired! This presumably refers to the little "pop-up" flash on the hot shoe.

The system is proving un-reliable - particularly when compared to Nikon's CLS system.

Does anybody have any suggestions please?
--
Malcolm Sales.

Malcolm Sales's gear list:Malcolm Sales's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
Nikon D300 Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
luigibenet
luigibenet Regular Member • Posts: 302
Re: FL50r Remote Flash

Check page 97 of the M5 Manual and make sure that your 'Communication light level' is set to HIGH.

Let us know if that helps.....

luigibenet's gear list:luigibenet's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +3 more
jtan163 Senior Member • Posts: 2,265

Malcolm Sales wrote:

Hi,

Is anyone using the FL50r successfully as a remote flash? Particularly outdoors.

I've come to Olympus (OM-D E-M5) from Nikon D300 & D700 with 2x SB900's & 1x SB800.

I've mastered the different menu system and feel that it's great and really easy to change settings.

However when I working outdoors I find I'm getting a significant number of miss fires where the flash fires 5 sec AFTER the shutter. Annoyingly the EXIF data shows the flash has fired! This presumably refers to the little "pop-up" flash on the hot shoe.

The system is proving un-reliable - particularly when compared to Nikon's CLS system.

It won't be TTL but you can always use your Nikon flash in SU4 (dumb optical slave) mode.
At least you can the SB900s - not sure about the SB800.

I only have 1 SB900, so I have not been able to try controlling another SB900 - but you may also be able to use an SB900/800 in commander mode to make manual settings changes and fire remote flashes.

As I say not sure about this because I only have one - but it defiantly works in SU4 mode using the included Oly flash as a trigger.

And if you want to try and use one of your 800/900s as a commander, you can definitely fire the SB900 from the EM5 hotshoe.

I taped all of the terminals on my camera hot shoe, except the big middle, one, but I understand that is not really necessary.

jtan163's gear list:jtan163's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D4 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +7 more
rkeller Senior Member • Posts: 1,066

I have a FL-50R and 3 FL-36Rs (and a Metz 58 AF-2) that I use regularly as remote flashes in RC mode as well as slave mode with the E-M5.

In RC mode you need to make sure that the sensor window on the flash is facing directly toward the accessory hotshoe flash. And if your remote flash is placed so that it is to the side or behind your camera, you may need to re-direct the hotshoe flash using a small bounce card so as to provide a better signal to the remote flash (and as someone else stated, turn up the trigger flash level to "high"). With trickier setups, using the FL-600R flash in the hotshoe as a controller should help immensely since you will be able to swivel and tilt it as needed.
--

"If you simplify your English, you are freed from the worst follies of orthodoxy. You cannot speak any of the necessary dialects, and when you make a stupid remark its stupidity will be obvious, even to yourself." - George Orwell "Politics and the English Language"

"Unfortunately, in digital photography a lot of people are seeing pixels, not photographs ... Everyone together now: it's not the pixels. Sing it with me." - Thom Hogan

"If you pick up a camera with any sort of serious intent, you will at least occasionally need to use a flash. Done deal. Lock solid, Take it to the bank." - Joe McNally

Gregm61 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,295

Malcolm Sales wrote:

Hi,

I've been experiencing the same thing with my E-M5, even using the HIGH option mentioned earlier.

My solution....Cactus V5 radio slaves. I received mine last night, tried tham out and they work GREAT, and EVERY TIME, at any distance and do not have to be line-of-sight. Perfect.

The one negative is.....manual mode. You could use non-TTL auto, but getting it right manually is fine and works consistently.

-- hide signature --

"There's shadows in life, baby.." Jack Horner- Boogie Nights

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Leica M9 Olympus E-M1 Leica M (Typ 262) Olympus E-M1 II Leica M-P (Typ 240) +31 more
OP Malcolm Sales Forum Member • Posts: 96

Hi All,

Many thanks for the advice.
I've set the signal to Hi and that's seems to have resolved my problem.

I'm not sure if battery drain is a separate issue, I'm using 2500 & 2900 re-chargeable batteries that haven't given problems in my Nikon SB's.

Uning an SB as a Commander on the OM-D is something I'd not even condidered I'll give it a go and see what happens.

Once again many thanks.

-- hide signature --

Malcolm Sales.

Malcolm Sales's gear list:Malcolm Sales's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads