550D/T2I Your optimal in cam settings.

Started Sep 7, 2012 | Discussions
TC63
TC63 Regular Member • Posts: 188
550D/T2I Your optimal in cam settings.

Hi gang and a happy Friday to all.

My question is this. What are your optimal or favorite settings in cam that you prefer as far as sharpness, saturation etc are concerned and do you use HTP (Highlight tone priority) I also use Magic Lantern if there are favorite settings you have as well.
Thanks for any insight that you may offer within this thread.
Tim

Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
logs90 Regular Member • Posts: 308
Re: 550D/T2I Your optimal in cam settings.

TC63 wrote:

My question is this. What are your optimal or favorite settings in cam that you prefer as far as sharpness, saturation etc are concerned

I use aperture priority in good light. M mode in poor light including indoors no matter how good the lighting indoors is.

I think this will all depend on your lens.

and do you use HTP (Highlight tone priority)

I don't use this.

I also use Magic Lantern if there are favorite settings you have as well.

Don't use this as well.

Tim

davidgp
davidgp Contributing Member • Posts: 516

TC63 wrote:

My question is this. What are your optimal or favorite settings in cam that you prefer as far as sharpness, saturation etc are concerned and do you use HTP (Highlight tone priority) I also use Magic Lantern if there are favorite settings you have as well.

I tend to shoot in Av mode so I can control depth of field. Also use P for family snapshots and M when using off-camera (manual) flash.

I shoot RAW so sharpness, saturation, etc are all set in PP. I use the Standard picture style by default and don't bother changing it.

I use ALO on Standard, but can reset it in DPP during PP (though I also use ACR in PS Elements and you can't set it there).

Just rediscovered HTP this morning after having the camera for more than a year... have never used it but am consdiering using it in high contrast conditions.

Don't use ML.

davidgp's gear list:davidgp's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art
photonius Veteran Member • Posts: 6,822

TC63 wrote:

I use HTP, read the dpreview here regarding it.

Auto lightning optimizer I don't use. Seems like a curve that I can also apply later. In fact, it hides misexposure, rather get exposure right in the first place.

Tim

-- hide signature --

Life is short, time to zoom in ©

photonius's gear list:photonius's gear list
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II
Roberto Piazza
Roberto Piazza Regular Member • Posts: 259

hello,

I have the 600d (and not the 550) but I suppose the setting features will be the same.

Your question is an interesting one, I have always been interested in settings, as well, and when I bought the camera I have spent a lot of time looking for the ones that -at least to my eyes- were better.
It seems to me that different settings can make a lot of difference.

I use contrast -3 (contrasts seems to be a detail killer to me), sharpness +6 (I would say causes no harm at all to the shots) and saturation 0.

For color shots, the faithful style is my favourite

I don't use HTP, but ALO at standard level (but here you will find many different opinions...).

Just back from a cruise in the Baltic sea, all this album is shot with these mentioned settings (and all with the 15-85 lens):

https://picasaweb.google.com/110166469215596206907/MareSuebicum?noredirect=1#slideshow/5784046919407721778

... and, by the way, I would really like to get any C&C on it

ciao

Roberto Piazza's gear list:Roberto Piazza's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM
davidgp
davidgp Contributing Member • Posts: 516

Roberto Piazza wrote:

Just back from a cruise in the Baltic sea, all this album is shot with these mentioned settings (and all with the 15-85 lens):

https://picasaweb.google.com/110166469215596206907/MareSuebicum?noredirect=1#slideshow/5784046919407721778

... and, by the way, I would really like to get any C&C on it

ciao

At the risk of hijacking the thread, a quick response... excellent! I was very impressed by many of your images.

davidgp's gear list:davidgp's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art
TC63
OP TC63 Regular Member • Posts: 188

Thanks all, I appreciate all the input

Roberto Piazza

Thank you !!!

Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM
mcarol New Member • Posts: 9

Just need to chime in - these pictures are amazing! You shot all of these using only one lens? Which one, if you don't mind me asking?

Roberto Piazza
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads