Will Fuji launch a LM line of Lenses or is there an issue

Started Sep 6, 2012 | Discussions
jl123 Regular Member • Posts: 244
Will Fuji launch a LM line of Lenses or is there an issue

I would hope that now they have shown they can make fast linear motor lenses; that they go ahead and make a few. Is this crazy talk, or am I right and Fuji is being very quiet on this delicate subject? Whats going on with the LM series Fast Lenses? j

LaFonte Senior Member • Posts: 2,763
Re: Will Fuji launch a LM line of Lenses or is there an issue

So far fuji was very consistent in their lens line-up so i don't think you will see 35mm LM lens.

The line-up strategy was set when the xpro1 was developed and fuji follows it like a book.

jl123 wrote:

I would hope that now they have shown they can make fast linear motor lenses; that they go ahead and make a few. Is this crazy talk, or am I right and Fuji is being very quiet on this delicate subject? Whats going on with the LM series Fast Lenses? j

LaFonte's gear list:LaFonte's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic FZ1000 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +2 more
OP jl123 Regular Member • Posts: 244

Well if they don't then I believe this system will continue to be the proverbial red haired step child, not able to take the fight to the OMD on the big stage of worldwide sales.

Most users will be happiest with the more compromised LM zoom. Just my opinion, but I really think Fuji are making a big mistake to talk up very fast AF but only for its zoom and to continue with below par for the rest of the lens line. that is simply too bad. j

nawknai Senior Member • Posts: 1,043

The more customers Fuji has, the more lenses they will sell.

The more lenses they sell now, the more people that will be upset when Fuji releases an LM version of their lenses.

I'd really like to see the 60 mm macro and 35 mm updated, even if it'll p*ss some people off.

nawknai's gear list:nawknai's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +1 more
lnbolch
lnbolch Senior Member • Posts: 2,277

Lenses are apparently digital devices as well. When I upgraded my camera firmware, there was a firmware upgrade for each individual lens as well. The next firmware upgrade will be to version 2.00—which indicates it is a very major update. Focus speed of old lenses is supposed to be on par with the latest. Write speed is also to be doubled. I expect that there will be many undocumented improvements as well. It is scheduled for the 18th of this month.

Long ago, I learned pre-focusing, so speed is a non-issue. I am locked onto my subject in plenty of time to capture the finest decisive-moment.

jl123 wrote:

-- hide signature --
 lnbolch's gear list:lnbolch's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
Fabio Amodeo Senior Member • Posts: 1,232

In my experience, focus with the 18 is almost instantaneous at any distance, while the 35 is reasonably fast at all normal distances. I expect the firmware will better this situation, so I think only 60mm users will be longing for a different solutions. By the way, I never used autofocus in macro, and still prefer my old Micro Nikkor 55 adapted for that kind of work. All the systems have advantages and disadvantages: I wouldn't use a Fuji X with continuous focussing, and that may look like a bad limit. But when I remember my DSLR times, and the time spent testing lenses looking either for correction of the focus point or checking risks of focus shifts, I'm very glad I changed field.

Fabio Amodeo's gear list:Fabio Amodeo's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-A1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +3 more
JSTB Regular Member • Posts: 262

jl123 wrote:

Well if they don't then I believe this system will continue to be the proverbial red haired step child, not able to take the fight to the OMD on the big stage of worldwide sales.

Most users will be happiest with the more compromised LM zoom. Just my opinion, but I really think Fuji are making a big mistake to talk up very fast AF but only for its zoom and to continue with below par for the rest of the lens line. that is simply too bad. j

Wasn't it just recently that Olympus was desperately looking for some to bail them out financially. I think Fuji was even one of the suitors.... Fuji will have released 4 cameras in about two years, the XF cameras will have 13 lenses within two years of their release, and they have developed their own sensor. They seem to be doing OK.

I think Fuji has a very good idea of who their target market is. I'm not sure a lot of camera buyers have good sense though. Most people need a DSLR. I have one (Nikon D700) but I much prefer my X Pro and X100.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads