MAC or PC for professional use.

Started Sep 3, 2012 | Discussions
Naninou
Naninou Regular Member • Posts: 106
MAC or PC for professional use.

Hi,

i am about to start professional works and i am starting to think about my definitive workflow.
I am using PC but MAC is tempting
Is it really recommended to go on MAC for professional use ?
Do you have any experience of weak points at being PC or MAC ?
I use Ligthroom and Photoshop.

Regards.

Naninou's gear list:Naninou's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R APD
Danny
Danny Contributing Member • Posts: 757
Re: MAC or PC for professional use.

If you use Photoshop then of course it will be identical on both Mac or PC. You can be a professional of both systems. I have been a Mac user from day 1, and in the commercial field Macs are dominating. If you work for an advertising agency, good change they work 99% on Mac's. The operating system of Windows and OSX is something you should consider, because that is what's going to be the difference between both computers. Do you want Windows, or do you want OSX? One pro of working on a Mac, you can always work in Windows too if you want.

Art Jacks Senior Member • Posts: 2,736

It is an old saying but has some truth, ' it is not what you have but what you do with it ' same with cameras, a talented photographer will turn out good images no matter equipment he uses, computers, cameras etc are mere tools to achieve your desired result., go with the system you are the most comfortable with. My experience, I changed to a mac 6 years ago, a bit of a steep learning curve to start with ( I wondered more than once if I had made the correct decision ) but once over the initial familiarisation period no problems, it was just finding out where things were not an issue with a non working machine and now I know I have a system that works for me.

harvey lexton Regular Member • Posts: 154

I use both, all screens are calibrated and results are the same whatever pc/mac you use.

Consider that if you buy a Mac you will pay for the equivelent pc about 3 times as much, and when a new model comes out you will get good residual value out of the Mac whereas the PC will be junk. Another consideration in favour of a PC that after 3 years the specification would have gone up and it didn't cost a lot in the first place so you can buy another.

Also consider after sales service Mac is about the best if you have a problem take it to the Genius bar and they deal with it. On the other hand when you buy your pc find out how much a minute support is, the manufacturers rip your arm for the phone call costs.

With Apple you have the extra 2 year option warranty although please be aware if you are in the UK the laws are that the item should be fit for the purpose for up to 6 years.

I could go on a lot longer but I have work to do.

Doug R Senior Member • Posts: 1,471

There both computers a tool with good a bad points but about the same. With in photo programs you wont notice a difference. If you comfortable with a PC I would stay with it turning pro you will have many things that need your attention more than a new OS. Being a pro shooting is a small percentage of what you do promotion book keeping paying the bills and all the other duty's of running a business will be a daunting task and need your attention.
--
Doug

spqr_ca
spqr_ca Contributing Member • Posts: 707
Either

Go with comfort. I switched from PC to Mac as my primary desktop this year, but I have a lot of machines that run Windows, Linux, OS X, and even Solaris at home (I'm a bit nutty this way). I went to the Mac for my personal use just because I like and prefer the interface and I have quick access to powerful UNIX tools when I need them. I'm just a UNIX guy at heart.

However, if you're really familiar and comfortable with Windows and not so familiar with OS X, then I think you're best to stick with what you know. The big reason for that is just getting your business rolling because you want to minimize the variables you have to learn. At some point, when things are smooth, then look at the possibility of a switch or even a mixed environment. Nothing wrong with a mixed environment, it lets you choose the appropriate tool for the job.

spqr_ca's gear list:spqr_ca's gear list
Nikon D800 Olympus Air Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +4 more
EricWN Senior Member • Posts: 2,097

As some others have said before, do what feels best for you. You don't know Macs (please don't call it MAC, that's something different) so I suggest to go and explore some - either via professional training or renting one for a while to get some first hand experiences.

graybalanced Veteran Member • Posts: 5,819

Naninou wrote:

I am using PC but MAC is tempting
Is it really recommended to go on MAC for professional use ?

If you are very happy and comfortable with a PC, you have no reason to switch to a Mac. If there are areas of the PC that you wish you could change, you should see if the Mac does them better.

Naninou wrote:

Do you have any experience of weak points at being PC or MAC ?

If you want more hardware choices, or are obsessed about specifications and low price, you want a PC.

If you want simplicity, and if you believe that productivity depends more on the overall user experience than a list of technical specifications and you are willing to pay more for it, then you might want a Mac.

Example: Are you the kind of person who would rather buy a car that costs very little up front, but is cheaply built and may require replacement in a few years or ongoing repairs? Or would you rather pay significantly more for a more comfortable car with better build quality, that lasts a long time, and makes driving more fun? Both kinds of people are OK, you just have to know which category you are in.

Naninou wrote:

I use Ligthroom and Photoshop.

Doesn't matter, Lightroom and Photoshop run about the same on PC or Mac. If you are going to switch, you'll need other reasons.

Naninou
OP Naninou Regular Member • Posts: 106

Thank you very much for your answers.

I was Mac for 10 years before moving to PC and i have to admit that i miss my first love.

But for moving to Mac from PC is a little bit more expensive than in the other way lol

I know both operating systems, i just wonder if it is worth to make the change for a professional use... but i think i will.

Harvey Lexton is right too about the fact that you can get a good residual value of the Mac when a new model comes.

When you think that maybe 80% of the professionals (correct me if the number is wrong) use Mac, i imagine that it can be useful one day. I imagine that if you have a problem, it should be easier to find an answer on forums. I don't know, this is my impression.

If i make the decision to move on Mac, i think the right choise should be to wait for the new 27" iMac (i think we will have infos in few days) but rumors say that it will go out in November and i have to buy Photoshop CS6.

If i am right, when you purchase CS6, you have to make the choice of PC or Mac (while Ligthroom is PC and Mac compatible), isn't it ?

I read that you can now rent CS6 by subscription (in France, the box costs 955.60 € and the subscription 22.13 € / month) and if i read correctly, this option allows you to download or PC either Mac version. Am i right ?

Would you recommend me to choose the subscription model ? Are there any weak points ?

If we have to pay 273.88 € for each update every 2 years, for 6 years, CS6 will have cost me 955.60 + (3 * 273.88) = 1777.24 €.
By subscription, for 6 years, CS6 will have cost me 22.13 * 12 * 6 = 1593.36 €.
Is my calcul right ?

Thank you for all your recommendations

Naninou's gear list:Naninou's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R APD
Mustafa Senior Member • Posts: 1,322

harvey lexton wrote:

if you buy a Mac you will pay for the equivelent pc about 3 times as much

Are you sure? What are your workings for this claim?

John Cote Senior Member • Posts: 1,477
I Use Both But....

I am a professional photographer and have had a MacBook Pro and a PC desktop for a long time. I use the same Aps as you and find they work well on either platform. Here is my condensed short take on Mac vs PC:

Pro Mac: The basic Mac operating system is much more efficient and trouble free than what runs a PC when you use Windows.

Pro PC: The GUI and the regulation of the file structure of a Mac is a real pain in the butt and designed for babies' compared to Windows...although Windows keeps trying to make itself more of a pain in the butt every day. Apple wants to force you to do things their way just a little bit more than MS (for me anyhow).

That all being said, when it comes time to get rid of my PC desktop (soon) it will be replaced by my MacBook Pro, a big monitor and a bank of external hard drives. My MBP has never given me a bit of trouble and my PC is troublesome every day.

-- hide signature --

JohnCote
http://www.johncotephotography.com

'Cameras are just cr@p we have to lug around because there is no direct brain to printer connection...yet!'

John Cote's gear list:John Cote's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D4S Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
Jen Yates Senior Member • Posts: 1,414

harvey lexton wrote:

I use both, all screens are calibrated and results are the same whatever pc/mac you use.

Consider that if you buy a Mac you will pay for the equivelent pc about 3 times as much

Untrue. Macs are actually pretty good value compared to an 'equivalent' PC. The difference is you won't find a budget underpowered mac built out of cheap plastic.

when a new model comes out you will get good residual value out of the Mac whereas the PC will be junk.

Pretty much true.

Another consideration in favour of a PC that after 3 years the specification would have gone up and it didn't cost a lot in the first place so you can buy another.

You can also of course do that with a Mac. Only a 3yo mac will still usually be worth in excess of 50% of what you paid for it.

w9gly New Member • Posts: 19

Your Mac won't slow down over time and need a reinstall like windows does.

EricWN Senior Member • Posts: 2,097

Any user can fill a Mac up with useless software that slows the machine down, that's not a windows problem at all, it's just a prejudice.

CarlC
CarlC Contributing Member • Posts: 969

PC all my life. I almost replaced with a MAC when upgrading my desktop a few years ago and which I would have. I just was not comfortable making what I thought was a major change.

12 months ago I purchased a MBP 17 inch so I could process pics without being in the office. Expensive but one of the best things I have done for pure ease of use and enjoyment. I have ended up using it all day long for work and actually I have not done a lot of photo processing lately.

Yes, just a tool but I have to say, Love the Mac.. Resisted for many many years.

-- hide signature --

EricWN wrote:

Any user can fill a Mac up with useless software that slows the machine down, that's not a windows problem at all, it's just a prejudice.

No, not necessarily true. I think the other post was referring to advice that is repeated by almost every Windows "expert" I know: "You have to re-image your PC every year or so. Otherwise the machine will slow down."

In contrast, few Mac users I know ever do a complete reinstall. It just isn't needed. For most Mac users, a Mac doesn't clog up. It's a little sad seeing Windows-to-Mac switchers asking about defragmentation and re-imaging. They've been so Stockholm-syndromed by the best practices on Windows that it doesn't even occur to them that a computer might be easier to maintain than that. You have to sit them down and reassure them that you don't have to defrag and you don't have to blow up your machine every year and reinstall everything. I don't, and this is my production machine. If it was getting slow, I'd notice...but for most of the Macs I've ever owned, and even more of the recent ones, it has simply not been necessary to do a Windows-style format and reinstall.

Good thing too, because reinstalling everything (including accounts, licenses, preferences, etc.) is a cost in time that needs to be factored into the true cost of the computer. If your time is worth $100/hr and you spend 3 hours reimaging a Windows machine, a $799 PC actually ends up costing the same as a $1099 Mac.

mawyatt1 Forum Member • Posts: 50

I have been a PC user and supported PCs since the original IBM PC. I just finally gave up a couple weeks ago and got a MBPr. I won't be going back to PC world. What a difference in user experience, the MBP just works. I am only upset because I waited so long to try the MBP, should have switched years ago.

The different operating system in the MBP is a little learning curve, but it's not too bad. So far I have been able to get by without a book, but do need to get a "MBP for Dummies" or something.

Try a MBP, you'll probably never go back to the PC. This is from a hard core PC user for almost 40 years!!

mawyatt1 Forum Member • Posts: 50
Re: I Use Both But....

John Cote wrote:

I am a professional photographer and have had a MacBook Pro and a PC desktop for a long time. I use the same Aps as you and find they work well on either platform. Here is my condensed short take on Mac vs PC:

Pro Mac: The basic Mac operating system is much more efficient and trouble free than what runs a PC when you use Windows.

Pro PC: The GUI and the regulation of the file structure of a Mac is a real pain in the butt and designed for babies' compared to Windows...although Windows keeps trying to make itself more of a pain in the butt every day. Apple wants to force you to do things their way just a little bit more than MS (for me anyhow).

That all being said, when it comes time to get rid of my PC desktop (soon) it will be replaced by my MacBook Pro, a big monitor and a bank of external hard drives. My MBP has never given me a bit of trouble and my PC is troublesome every day.

-- hide signature --

JohnCote
http://www.johncotephotography.com

'Cameras are just cr@p we have to lug around because there is no direct brain to printer connection...yet!'

John,

I am not a pro photographer, (IC chip designer), but this is exactly what I did when switching to the MBPr. See my post above.

The new 27" Thunderbolt Display has a power pigtail off the TB connector for the MBP, good speakers, mike, camera, TB port, FIrewire port, 3 USB ports, Ethernet port. Even works with my Microsoft wireless mouse and keyboard. This becomes a very nice docking station and you can keep the MBP closed. When you plug the TB connector in/out the MBP knows and sets itself up accordingly, no need to hit any keys or do anything. Plug in and the TBD takes over, unplug and when you open the MBP it's display takes over. Just works like it should!!!

I should mention the new MBP have USB 3 ports which support USB powered external HD like the Hitachi 7200rpm USB which I use. These are pretty quick with USB 3 and only cost $80. I keep all my images on an external HD and do the Time Machine backup on another HD, this way I don't fill up the MBP internal SSD.

Tee1up Regular Member • Posts: 460

Your query reminds me of the Nikon vs Canon debate.

Personally, I used Windows right up until Vista made an appearance and when it came time to upgrade my computer, I decided to roll the dice on a macbook. The firs thing that struck me was how short the learning curve was as I managed to transition very quickly. Within a few months I realized that my actual workflow had really improved from a pure speed perspective. Although, in retrospect now I would say the serious lack of FPS games for the Mac likely meant I was working more and playing much less as well.

I would say the only thing I've never liked or been able to work with are those mac mice...logitech bluetooth came to the rescue.

Tee1up wrote:

I would say the only thing I've never liked or been able to work with are those mac mice...logitech bluetooth came to the rescue.

As a loyal Mac user of many years I say...Mac mice are almost uniformly awful. I always buy something else.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads